Chit Chat

What's the healthiest thing you do?

Re: What's the healthiest thing you do?

• We normally have a minimum of two vegetables at every dinner, and shoot for a fruit and a vegetable at all meals - like spinach eggs with a side of berries for breakfast, chicken salad with avocado and grapes on almond crackers for lunch, etc. Very little refined/processed foods. Real butter, etc.

Right now though... umm I take my vitamin! Most of the time. And I stick to mini bagels instead of full size ones. ;)

• Eat fruits and veggies every day.
    Fight the urge to eat out whenever I can, and cook/freeze semi-healthy dishes in advance for crazy weeks.
    See friends, read, and do other good-for-the-soul stuff on the regular.
    Exercise...It's been challenging lately, but it's rare that I don't do something active at least twice a week.
    Brush twice a day, floss every night.
    Get my regular dental cleanings, annual physical, etc.
    Sleep is sacred, especially working night shift. I always go home and right to bed after a shift, and somehow I get in that 7-8 hours I need.
  • I drink a ton of water and I exercise 3-5x per week.

I also just moved into an apartment that is 3 stories up, and I've made the conscious decision to always take the stairs unless I can't (carrying heavy items or having a painful RA day).  It helps that the elevator is slow as hell and I get impatient.  I can't wait until my butt starts to show results, haha.

• I don't drink pop at all and rarely eat sweets of any sort. Granted, that's because I don't like them, but it counts as a health initiative, right?
  • I work in an office, so I set an alarm on my computer for one hour in the future. Every time I get up to do something and come back, I set the alarm for further out. If I go an hour without standing up, the alarm goes off, and I make myself take a 10 minute walk.

I also try to work out regularly, about three times a week. I fell out of the habit a couple of months ago but I'm getting better now.

Like Ashley, I also don't really like sweets. I'll occasionally treat myself to soda or candy, but I usually stay away from it. That said, I know my diet isn't otherwise that healthy. I eat a lot of processed foods.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I don't drink pop at all and rarely eat sweets of any sort. Granted, that's because I don't like them, but it counts as a health initiative, right?

You're definitely from my region ;) 
  • I drink a lot of water.  And because of that I get my cardio in by having to walk back and forth from the bathroom like 10+ times a day.

I also get 8 hours of sleep a night.

I don't really eat super healthy (not a veggie girl), but I also don't gorge on McD's 6 days a week. So since my diet isn't full of kale and spinach and quinoa, I just watch how much I am eating so I don't over do it.

• I try and sleep as much as I can, as I do a lot of turn around shift (get out of work at 1030PM to only be back at 6:30AM). Either way, I try and sleep within my sleeping cycle of 90 minutes.

I took a break after the wedding for working out, I need to work on that. I used to do Zumba about 2-3 times a week. 

I like to add spinach and/or kale to everything. It's just so easy to throw in a dish. I also like to eat more chicken and fish than red meat, though I can tell when I haven't had any in awhile as I get horrible headaches.

I try to stay away from the foods my body hates/can't digest, like lactose and wheat. I drink my coffee black.

imageimage

• I want to be doing a lot of healthy things, but so far the only thing I am consistent with is walking my dog for at least a half hour every day. I guess my dog's health is much more of a motivator for me than my health!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a huge issue with ice cream, so for the past few months I made a rule. I only allow myself to eat ice cream on weekends. (The weekend starts on Friday for me...) and I have actually lost a little bit of weight. In addition to that, I try to eat veggies with almost every meal, and a salad at least once a day. Because I usually fall off the dieting rails, I give myself a cheat week once a month during my period hahaha. I actually start to look forward to that week, but in the end I don't cheat too much because I just feel sick. Maybe that is a little ass-backward, but it helps me. 

I also was extremely active growing up. I've had a horse since I was 10, but we recently lost him and I haven't been doing a whole lot to make up for my inactivity. So this week I just started going for 40-60 min walks/jogs. I am hoping to keep it up, even though traditional exercise kinda bores me to death.
  • Crap. You people eat a lot of fruits and veggies. We don't eat any. We eat every meal with a meat and a pasta/ rice/ potato (1 option, not all in the same meal). Our crisper drawers in the fridge are full of chocolate and fancy cheeses. Guess we really need to buckle down and get more veggies.

• jenna8984 said:

Crap. You people eat a lot of fruits and veggies. We don't eat any. We eat every meal with a meat and a pasta/ rice/ potato (1 option, not all in the same meal). Our crisper drawers in the fridge are full of chocolate and fancy cheeses. Guess we really need to buckle down and get more veggies.

This is our house.

• jenna8984 said:

Crap. You people eat a lot of fruits and veggies. We don't eat any. We eat every meal with a meat and a pasta/ rice/ potato (1 option, not all in the same meal). Our crisper drawers in the fridge are full of chocolate and fancy cheeses. Guess we really need to buckle down and get more veggies.

This is our house.
    I can't even fathom that, as a regular thing. Lately all I eat is bagels but that's temporary. :)

• I love vegetables, I'm super picky about fruit, FI doesn't like veggies, and is also super picky about fruit.  So the only veggies we have in our house are the ones I will eat.  And when I cook, I cook a small portion for myself because he just doesn't eat them.

When strawberries and apples are in season we usually have a good amount of those in the house, and the rest of the time we just don't have fruit around.

• jenna8984 said:

This is our house.
    I can't even fathom that, as a regular thing. Lately all I eat is bagels but that's temporary. :)
    H likes veggies but he doesn't crave them.  If I make them he will eat them, but he never asks for them.   I just don't have the taste buds for them.  Every time I make H veggies I try them hoping that I will like them, but no they just end up tasting like grass.  I also try them when I go out to dinner, like if my dinner comes with a side of veggies.  And nope still don't like them.  It really would make dieting and losing weight so much easier if I did like them though :(

• jenna8984 said:

This is our house.
    H likes veggies but he doesn't crave them.  If I make them he will eat them, but he never asks for them.   I just don't have the taste buds for them.  Every time I make H veggies I try them hoping that I will like them, but no they just end up tasting like grass.  I also try them when I go out to dinner, like if my dinner comes with a side of veggies.  And nope still don't like them.  It really would make dieting and losing weight so much easier if I did like them though :(
    Me too!! I try all these recipes with green beans and tomatoes and asparagus and I'm like "yea they've got butter and garlic and ranch seasoning- this will totally be great!" and then I only taste the vegetable and I hate it and don't eat it. About the only ones I will eat are zuchini and carrots.

• @jenna8984 - Exactly!  I tried roasted broccoli with garlic and Parmesan cheese thinking that it was going to be awesome.  It would have been awesome if the broccoli wasn't included.

I like carrots but that is about it.  When I get a salad out I typically stick to a Caesar salad or a garden salad with just iceberg lettuce, shaved carrots and some thinly sliced purple onions.

• I really like veggies and fruits and so does my husband..so that's lucky!  I really like asparagus, brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, green beans (fresh ones are the best IMO), and mushrooms.  But really any veggie is a go for me.  We have a farmers market just two blocks away from May through November, so we get a lot of produce there.  We're thinking about joining a CSA also.  My sister is part of one and it seems like a great deal money wise, plus she's always exposed to new foods.
  • jenna8984 said:

jenna8984 said:

This is our house.
    Me too!! I try all these recipes with green beans and tomatoes and asparagus and I'm like "yea they've got butter and garlic and ranch seasoning- this will totally be great!" and then I only taste the vegetable and I hate it and don't eat it. About the only ones I will eat are zuchini and carrots.
    I'm the opposite. I crave veggies. Sometimes for a snack I'll eat a bowl of green beans or a big spinach salad, or a steamed artichoke (and dip the leaves in melted butter or aioli so it's not that healthy). I'm extra weird because sometimes for movie nights I like to make crispy roasted veggies in the oven instead of popcorn. 

However, the really bad thing is that I don't eat fruit. Most fruit makes my weird stomach really upset so I've learned to avoid all of it. I'd rather just not eat it at all than to try to decipher which one I can eat and how much of it I can eat before I get sick. It's gotten to the point that almost all fruit tastes really bad to me now. 
  • jenna8984 said:

This is our house.

I'm the opposite. I crave veggies. Sometimes for a snack I'll eat a bowl of green beans or a big spinach salad, or a steamed artichoke (and dip the leaves in melted butter or aioli so it's not that healthy). I'm extra weird because sometimes for movie nights I like to make crispy roasted veggies in the oven instead of popcorn. 

However, the really bad thing is that I don't eat fruit. Most fruit makes my weird stomach really upset so I've learned to avoid all of it. I'd rather just not eat it at all than to try to decipher which one I can eat and how much of it I can eat before I get sick. It's gotten to the point that almost all fruit tastes really bad to me now. 

My H will sit down on the couch to watch a game with a big bag of baby carrots or a Tupperware full of cucumber slices to snack on. :-p

• I eat fruit as my afternoon snack every day at work, which helps keep me full until dinner (mmm fiber), which means I'm more likely to take the time to cook and less likely to eat a giant chipotle burrito. I also limit the number of days I buy lunch instead of making it. It used to be once a week, but I've pared down to once every two weeks.

I also set a timer on my phone to make myself stand up at least every half hour at work. Sometimes I work standing or do stretches or walk around the office, but the point is to not be in the chair for at least 2 minutes. I feel like this helps me concentrate better, as well as being good for my back and general health. I'm not always perfect about this (meetings are hard and sometimes I get in the zone) but generally I feel a lot better when I do.
  • edited April 2015
    I'd say the healthiest thing I do is follow a ton of fitness and nutrition orgs/companies/groups/people on Facebook and Instagram - the constant stream of postings remind me to eat healthy throughout the day and get off my butt on a daily basis. I also participate in a ton of wellness support groups and communities to help me stay consistent. It's really helped me stay consistent and make healthy choices constantly.

ETA: I do all those other things like eat well, cut out pop and processed foods, exercise regularly, but the online motivation is what keeps me going.
  • jenna8984 said:

This is our house.

This happens to me too. I got the list of the FODMAP approved fruits and I don't have any problem with those :)

imageimage

• novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

jenna8984 said:

This is our house.

This happens to me too. I got the list of the FODMAP approved fruits and I don't have any problem with those :)
    ---------------Ima Box------------------------------------------------------------------

Hm... I should try that. One of my doctors said that if my stomach issues get too extreme he might recommend I try that diet, so maybe the fruits in the diet wouldn't hurt me... 
  • I'm trying hard to be a healthy person...
    Generally I drink 80oz of water a day, walk 15,000 daily steps, go to the gym 3-4 times a week, and two of my three meals are vegetarian (I try really hard to make those more fruit and veg and less carbs)

But some days I'm like "oh bacon night at the bar sounds perfect" and 4 cosmos later I eat all the bacon, and move on to tater tots. 

• I highly recommend that diet, novella, if you have tummy issues. It's extremely constricting though, so some doctors say just try and have very small amounts of those foods, or for most people, there are only certain things in that list that affect them. So doing an elimination diet to find out which fruits give you trouble would help. Only eat the fruits on the fodmap approved list for a couple months, then start adding one fruit at a time and have it for a month and see how you handle it. For example, I don't do will with apples but I'm okay with watermelon.

Really gives the phrase, "An apple a day", new meaning for me.

imageimage

• I highly recommend that diet, novella, if you have tummy issues. It's extremely constricting though, so some doctors say just try and have very small amounts of those foods, or for most people, there are only certain things in that list that affect them. So doing an elimination diet to find out which fruits give you trouble would help. Only eat the fruits on the fodmap approved list for a couple months, then start adding one fruit at a time and have it for a month and see how you handle it. For example, I don't do will with apples but I'm okay with watermelon.

Really gives the phrase, "An apple a day", new meaning for me.
    Yeah it's weird cuz apples are definitely one of the things that make me sick. Oranges make me super sick, or any amount of orange juice, orange extract, etc. But I can have lime juice, lemon juice, etc. And I can usually eat melon (like watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe). It's kind of hit or miss. But thanks for the suggestion! I'm googling it right now :) 
  • I honestly don't do a ton of healthy things... I should really start working out/exercising.
    But I do eat a lot of vegetables and try to oven-bake most meals so I don't use much oil/butter in foods.
    And I also walk to and from work all the time, and always try to talk stairs over elevators/escalators.

• I've been really trying to up the veggie intake. I've been learning too much about fiber and colon cancer and such at school lately. It's tough to get through them on time with only two people though. 

I know at some co-ops you can sign up to receive a box of random veggies and fruits each week. I might see if there's something like that around here. I'm looking forward to farmer's markets but the one close to me kind of stinks. There's a big one in the city but... that involves going to the city. 
  • I run and go to the gym pretty much every morning (sometimes I skip the gym on Sunday and just run), I try to get at least one fruit/veggie with every meal, and I eat breakfast. 

If I'm lucky I remember my multi vitamin, fish oil, vitamin D, and iron supplement I'm supposed to take. But that's a fucking lot to remember. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards