Snarky Brides
Options

Your weekly "Weddit" recap (wedding forum etiquette fails)

Re: Your weekly "Weddit" recap (wedding forum etiquette fails)

• Options

redoryx said:

I'm not a usual reddit user, but I've noticed that there are little indications for when a bride is having her wedding and the theme and I just noticed one where I think the theme is Little Red Riding Hood? 

Because nothing says romantic like a predatory wolf stalking a little girl, tricking her, and then swallowing her, amirite? 

Dear brides: please realize that many fairy tales were written as cautionary tales and then Disney came along and sanitized them. So, y'know, do your homework before picking one as your theme.
    It's only good if you follow the original where they cut themselves out of the wolf with the huntsman's ax and Red wears his fur as a cloak...Now that's a wedding I'll go to!
    Animal cruelty!!!!!!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

redoryx said:

I'm not a usual reddit user, but I've noticed that there are little indications for when a bride is having her wedding and the theme and I just noticed one where I think the theme is Little Red Riding Hood? 

Because nothing says romantic like a predatory wolf stalking a little girl, tricking her, and then swallowing her, amirite? 

Dear brides: please realize that many fairy tales were written as cautionary tales and then Disney came along and sanitized them. So, y'know, do your homework before picking one as your theme.
    It's only good if you follow the original where they cut themselves out of the wolf with the huntsman's ax and Red wears his fur as a cloak...Now that's a wedding I'll go to!

Animal cruelty!!!!!!

Only if you don't use the whole animal :)
  • Options
    So there is a thread right now that I think you all should be aware of (which is why we have had a lot of traffic on this thread today from there). A user is accusing us of sending her mean messages and messing with her website. I truly hope that this was none of you here and just a troll lurking on a public forum. I know there have been incidents here on TK before with people falsely claiming to be regulars and posting terrible things on wedding websites before.

While I hate seeing etiquette failures (and love snarking on them), this is too far. Also a good reminder to watch how much personal information you post online. 

• Options

So there is a thread right now that I think you all should be aware of (which is why we have had a lot of traffic on this thread today from there). A user is accusing us of sending her mean messages and messing with her website. I truly hope that this was none of you here and just a troll lurking on a public forum. I know there have been incidents here on TK before with people falsely claiming to be regulars and posting terrible things on wedding websites before.

While I hate seeing etiquette failures (and love snarking on them), this is too far. Also a good reminder to watch how much personal information you post online. 

Thanks for posting this. Despite the fact that this is a snark board (and I love a good snark too), I don't like the thought that this wedditor was receiving hateful private messages from someone, or some people, it sounds like. Not cool.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    peachy13 said:

Thanks for posting this. Despite the fact that this is a snark board (and I love a good snark too), I don't like the thought that this wedditor was receiving hateful private messages from someone, or some people, it sounds like. Not cool.
    Agreed. And I hate that I can't gif at work because this is the perfect place for a Walter Sobchak "OVER THE LINE" gif. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

There are tons of people who lurk in these threads too. . . like all of the people popping in from Reddit go gasp at the fact that some of their threads were being snarked on.

People "doxxing" that girl are likely lurkers and not active posters. 

Where was her thread on Reddit where she showed the Redditors this thread and then got bashed for doing it?  I'm confused?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    @PrettyGirlLost another poster linked to this thread in the comments on that one. Since the OP of it edited out her post, you had to read the comments to understand what apparently happened, and that's where they accused us of doing this and linked the thread. 

ETA: I am confused about the automatic assumption that we did it, especially since I have actually upvoted that user's comments supporting proper etiquette and she seems to be having a properly hosted event. I don't think any of us snarked on her wedding at all. 

Edit 2: I now understand after the OP's latest edit and @peachy13's description. I only saw the thread after it was edited. 

• Options
    edited April 2015
    We are pretty open about our snark here.  It's the point of the board ><

ETA: Are people going to get butthurt over this forum/blog too: http://weddinghellsbells.com/

P.S. Password protect your wedding websites, people ><

• Options

We are pretty open about our snark here.  It's the point of the board ><

ETA: Are people going to get butthurt over this forum/blog too: http://weddinghellsbells.com/

P.S. Password protect your wedding websites, people ><

I had never heard of that site and was curious after seeing the link on the reddit thread, and the ones that I read honestly didn't seem that bad compared to what people were saying about it. It was just about being decent to your loved ones, which is also what we try to promote here. But you know, I guess that makes us terrible human beings and/or teenagers according to Reddit. 

And QFT to the bolded. 

• Options
    JBee85JBee85 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    Oh man, check this out.

I posted about Honeymoon Registry being rude. I was the top commentator with the most likes because people agreed that it was rude:

A mod comes...

Nevermind the fact people agreed with me. Nevermind the fact that the OP actually thanked me and was courteous. And nevermind the fact that nobody was flaming each other. Reddit users are the worst.

So... I get a post deleted for posting about a rule... and was going against the rules? Guess you can't reason with morons who don't know how to take criticism. And this has not been the first time I posted against HRs on the reddit. Ah, the irony!
  • Options
    Not everyone in that subreddit is from America. Etiquette can vary greatly from country to country.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    So not only did you make the assumption that I'm the WRONG person (my username was never that, nor do I know who that is), you still can't read apparently? Or you are intentionally making things up to get critical about. I never said anything about 300+ people. I am getting married with just our parents and grandparents. We will, on a different day, have a 30-person party to celebrate that we are married. Not a wedding reception, nor anything relating to the wedding, but rather a celebration of our new marriage. No gifts required. No dancing. No literally anything else you mentionedJust food and fun for our families.

The reason I changed my screen name on here (and elsewhere) was that after the doxxing came out on Reddit I was worried that it was easily linkable to other accounts I have on the internet. Forgive me for wanting some privacy after so many people's was blatantly violated today. I also deleted my Reddit account, which was closely related to my current screen name on here.

Considering you don't even know who I am, and are making idiotic assumptions, you twisted my words completely because you were using words that weren't even mine. Not only are you a rude person, but someone who apparently pays exactly zero attention to details. I hope that doesn't show in your wedding.

Also I'll call it a luncheon instead of a lunch reception if it'll make y'all sleep better at night.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    alpaca5 said:

So not only did you make the assumption that I'm the WRONG person (my username was never that, nor do I know who that is), you still can't read apparently? Or you are intentionally making things up to get critical about.   There was a poster by the user name Ecktoberwedding who posted about having her reception in a baseball stadium and then having a 30 person hosted meal, followed by a 300+ reception after.  She started posting this info around the time this thread was created, and was butthurt because we said her tiered reception was rude.  Then you come into this post, call yourself the "baseball reception wedding",  and seemed equally butthurt so I thought you might be Ectoberwedding. 

Oops, my bad. 
    Sorry to confuse you with another SS. 

So if you aren't Ectoberwedding, why are you so upset about comments about your wedding?  Did anyone even mention your wedding?
      Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread.  I never said anything about 300+ people. I am getting married with just our parents and grandparents. We will, on a different day, have a
    30-person party to celebrate that we are married. Not a wedding reception, nor anything relating to the wedding, but rather a celebration of our new marriage. No gifts required. No dancing. No literally anything else you mentionedJust food and fun for our families.

The reason I changed my screen name on here (and elsewhere) was that after the doxxing came out on Reddit I was worried that it was easily linkable to other accounts I have on the internet. Forgive me for wanting some privacy after so many people's was blatantly violated today. I also deleted my Reddit account, which was closely related to my current screen name on here.  Lol who's privacy was blatantly violated?  And again people, password protect your websites! 

Considering you don't even know who I am, and are making idiotic assumptions, you twisted my words completely because you were using words that weren't even mine. Not only are you a rude person, but someone who apparently pays exactly zero attention to details. I hope that doesn't show in your wedding.  Actually I pay close attention to details, and the details of your wedding were similar to those posted about another, so that plus the rage made me think you were the same person.  My bad, I got you confused with someone else.  My wedding went off fabulously because I paid attention to what people on this forum said about etiquette and treating my guests well.

So why am I still posting here, if I'm already married?  That's a common question the SS who don't get validation here through around on other sites. . . I still post here because I already successfully planned a wedding.   It makes sense to get advice from people who have done something and know what they are doing, rather than just people who have never done something, right?

Also I'll call it a luncheon instead of a lunch reception if it'll make y'all sleep better at night.
    BTW, we also snark on WeddingBee, WeddingWire, Off Beat Bride, etc.  Don't feel singled out on Reddit.  They all snark on us too.

• Options

Not everyone in that subreddit is from America. Etiquette can vary greatly from country to country.

If you understand what etiquette is- guidelines to properly host and treat your guests well- you'd realize it's pretty universal.

A chair for every butt, don't waste guests time with gaps, don't ask your guests to pay for their drinks. . .
    The ideas behind etiquette may be universal, but etiquette rules are not. Wedding customs vary greatly in different regions and countries in the world, and the etiquette that goes along with them changes. Even things like having chairs and alcohol aren't part of many wedding customs.
  • Options
    Even on planet Earth, not every one has chairs, nor is everyone so lazy as to think it's a personal affront to them to have to stand. Weddings are incredibly diverse experiences and I was pointing out that even seemingly common things like having chairs or alcohol, are not part of all wedding etiquette.

I mention other cultures because the original comment about etiquette, I believe, was in regards to a rule on Reddit. Not all weddings posted about there or here are about American weddings. Many other cultures which have wedding customs and etiquette very different from American and other Western traditions are often posted about.
  • Options

If you understand what etiquette is- guidelines to properly host and treat your guests well- you'd realize it's pretty universal.

A chair for every butt, don't waste guests time with gaps, don't ask your guests to pay for their drinks. . .
    You actually provided a great example of the kind of differences I'm talking about, a wedding without a gap between the ceremony and the reception is virtually unheard of in many countries. Part of etiquette is adhering to social norms in order prevent your guests from encountering any unexpected and uncomfortable situations. A couple of the things you listed could be just as expected as paying for a hotel room as an out of town guest. You can always go beyond and provide more (by covering the cost of hotel rooms, for example), but as long as you're meeting reasonable and established expectations, I think it's fine.

For the record, we'll be having an open bar, no gap, plenty of chairs, plenty of food, and transportation from the hotel to the venue and back. But my family is spread out over four countries, and in my experience while the nature of etiquette is the same, the social norms are different.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

You guys. I got home and checked that thread again. There is someone who quoted finding personal information of posters in this thread based on their TK usernames. Please please please be careful with how much you put on the internet. 

Supposedly someone found my FB page, which I doubt because my TK account isn't in any way connected to FB and my FB profile is private.

And I'm being doxxed all because I said that etiquette varying by region is bullshit. I didn't even post anything about any reddit weddings, lol. Just that I disagree with their rule. Sheesh!

• Options

You actually provided a great example of the kind of differences I'm talking about, a wedding without a gap between the ceremony and the reception is virtually unheard of in many countries. Part of etiquette is adhering to social norms in order prevent your guests from encountering any unexpected and uncomfortable situations. A couple of the things you listed could be just as expected as paying for a hotel room as an out of town guest. You can always go beyond and provide more (by covering the cost of hotel rooms, for example), but as long as you're meeting reasonable and established expectations, I think it's fine.

For the record, we'll be having an open bar, no gap, plenty of chairs, plenty of food, and transportation from the hotel to the venue and back. But my family is spread out over four countries, and in my experience while the nature of etiquette is the same, the social norms are different.

emptyeyed said:

Even on planet Earth, not every one has chairs, nor is everyone so lazy as to think it's a personal affront to them to have to stand. Weddings are incredibly diverse experiences and I was pointing out that even seemingly common things like having chairs or alcohol, are not part of all wedding etiquette.

I mention other cultures because the original comment about etiquette, I believe, was in regards to a rule on Reddit. Not all weddings posted about there or here are about American weddings. Many other cultures which have wedding customs and etiquette very different from American and other Western traditions are often posted about.

I think you might be confusing etiquette with cultural norms or customs/traditions. though.

• Options

@PrettyGirlLost I wonder why it's always you who gets singled out. Seems to happen a lot.

Looks like some people would want to get the majority of TK regs banned from TK and Reddit (I'm not on Reddit, so, TK I guess)... presumably for daring to say (not even directly on Reddit) that stupid ideas posted there are stupid?

• Options
    Damn, reddit users are thin skinned.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards