Chit Chat

So Apparently I'm Getting Fired

Perfect.

TL;DR - I'm getting fired. What the fuck do I do now.

I work in an office with the lawyer, 3 assistants including myself, and the lawyer's life who is our office manager.

I took Thursday off for a funeral. I come back yesterday to my co-worker telling me my boss is probably going to fire me because he is unhappy with my performance as late, and my texting.  Why the fuck is he telling her this and not me? No fucking clue.

Bossman is away on holidays for two weeks. Well apparently he called while I was on lunch yesterday to tell her that he has made up his mind and I'm out when he gets back - 3 days before the wedding. So I'm starting to job hunt now.  I haven't job hunted in so long.  Do I look for something in my field (which apparently I'm being told I'm no good at) or do I do wal mart or something in the mean time until I can find the perfect job? Do I wait til he's back or do I quit now?

I really didn't need this right now with the stress of the wedding coming up and I guess I'm at a loss.

Re: So Apparently I'm Getting Fired

• Ugh that sucks to have that hanging over your head. :(

Definitely look for a job in your field and don't let his comments make you doubt your skills. Retail jobs aren't even that easy to come by yet as the recession still has a lot of highly overqualified people filling those jobs.

Keep your head up.

• I wouldn't quit. This is just third party info at this point. As for what kind of job to get, I think it depends on your financial situation. Can you afford to hold out for a job in your field, or do you need to take something/anything while you look for that job?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I would call bossman. It's extremely unprofessional for him to spread that info through other people.

Anniversary

• Is this person even a reliable source? Maybe just stirring the pot? I wouldn't quit yet. You can certainly start looking, never any harm in that.
  • Yeah I would definitely, DEFINITELY not quit.

• Don't quit while you still have a job. Even if you aren't fired, not sure I would trust this other person, I would be looking for a new job. That kind of environment is not good.

Job searching sucks, big time. I'm in another field, but it took pretty much a good year from the time I decided I had enough at my old job. So don't quit while you have something.
  • I would call bossman. It's extremely unprofessional for him to spread that info through other people.

Or at least email him. Your mouthy co-worker's chatter may very well be news to him (i.e., she may just be stirring shit without actual cause). He should know that she's talking shit, and he should know that you are not sitting back and letting it happen. I might frame it as, "I heard from X co-worker that you've been unhappy with my performance. Is this true? I'd like to schedule a review with you when you're back, since obviously it's upsetting to hear negative feedback through a third party. I'm looking forward to discussing my performance in the appropriate setting--when is a good time for you?"
    This is great advice. It shows that you are assertive and in control of the situation while still showing respect for your boss.

Do start looking now, but don't just quit without a back-up plan unless the boss has told you directly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• That's lousy. I'm sorry.

I agree with the PPs- how you approach it depends on your financial situation.

I'd also agree about not quitting. You never know what will happen. However, that type of unprofessional conversation means that you should start looking for a new job. Even if you don't get fired, it's a sign that this isn't a long-term place for you. It's easier to find a new job when you're employed than when you're unemployed.

Taking a retail job isn't as easy as it sounds. Jobs are hard to come by
    and the hours (especially with training) might not be conducive for interviewing. Places like Walmart don't make things easy for employees. If you
    can swing it, start looking for a new job and take any short-term
    project work you can find along the way.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Or at least email him. Your mouthy co-worker's chatter may very well be news to him (i.e., she may just be stirring shit without actual cause). He should know that she's talking shit, and he should know that you are not sitting back and letting it happen. I might frame it as, "I heard from X co-worker that you've been unhappy with my performance. Is this true? I'd like to schedule a review with you when you're back, since obviously it's upsetting to hear negative feedback through a third party. I'm looking forward to discussing my performance in the appropriate setting--when is a good time for you?"
    This
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm so sorry. Don't quit! You don't know how reliable this information is. I agree that a conversation with your boss is in order. 

Have you gotten a review recently? 

Definitely this. I don't have any advice beyond what PP have said, but I just wanted to offer hugs and wine. I'm sorry this got sprung on you. Sending good vibes that it all works out, or that you find an even better job :) 
  • I'm sorry to hear this.

Certainly job hunt, but don't quit before you know for sure what your standing in your company is. And definitely clear that up through direct communication with your boss. Don't take anyone else's word for it.
  • I wouldn't even mention the chat with the (clearly gossipy) co-worker. Is this person even trustworthy?

Maybe stop texting at work? And try to arrive a bit earlier and be a bit more energetic (if any of this is part of the problem).

I find a few problems with this situation- A) your boss may be wildly unprofessional. Why is he talking to your co-worker? B) your coworker seems gossipy. Why would this person relay this info to you?

Is this person your supervisor? Or your co-worker? Why are they getting this information anyway?

Maybe start looking for something new, but def don't just quit based on that info.
  • Thanks for the feedback and help guys. You're the best. I'll try to answer all the questions.

Co-worker I'm hearing this from is really close with bossman, but it's not like one of us has more authority than any other of us, if that makes sense. There is not one assistant with more pull than anyone else. She's generally a reliable source of information.

I really  should secure another job. With the wedding in 18 days we can't really afford to have me not working.

Bossman called while I was at lunch and was telling said co-worker he got a call from another lawyer who is super mad because we didn't respond to a letter. Correct, we didn't respond. Why didn't we respond? Bossman wanted to dictate the letter and never did.

I arrive about an hour early  and get stuff done. I don't constantly have my phone in my hand, maybe one or two texts an hour which I thought was acceptable because the other girls use the office phones to make personal calls 3-4 times a day. I guess I'll be putting my phone away from now on.

I just feel shitty
  • Thanks for the feedback and help guys. You're the best. I'll try to answer all the questions.

Co-worker I'm hearing this from is really close with bossman, but it's not like one of us has more authority than any other of us, if that makes sense. There is not one assistant with more pull than anyone else. She's generally a reliable source of information.

I really  should secure another job. With the wedding in 18 days we can't really afford to have me not working.

Bossman called while I was at lunch and was telling said co-worker he got a call from another lawyer who is super mad because we didn't respond to a letter. Correct, we didn't respond. Why didn't we respond? Bossman wanted to dictate the letter and never did.

I arrive about an hour early  and get stuff done. I don't constantly have my phone in my hand, maybe one or two texts an hour which I thought was acceptable because the other girls use the office phones to make personal calls 3-4 times a day. I guess I'll be putting my phone away from now on.

I just feel shitty

I'm sorry you feel shitty. I would not assume that this other assistant has the complete skinny. 

Do not quit, if nothing else if you do get fired you will be entitled to severance whereas if you quit you'll be entitled to nothing. 

Are you a paralegal or a secretary? 

I just feel shitty

The whole situation is shitty. I'm sorry. Just work on getting your resume updated and sent out.

In regards to the bolded, was it up to you or just one of the assistants to answer the letter? Also, do you have documentation of Bossman saying he wanted to dictate the letter, such as an email or something? Have that documentation and do not be afraid to defend yourself.

Also, when you speak to him, do not compare yourself to others in the office, no matter how true it may be. That is the hardest part, trust me I know. Just explain what you do.

I just feel shitty

Unfortunately that often comes down to perception - if the only times bossman looked at you happened to be those two times an hour, he perceives you to be on the phone all the time.

• I wouldn't call or email my boss when they're on vacation. 
    Maybe the co worker is stirring shit. Maybe the boss was just venting, and calling him on it will force him into making a decision he might not have made.

I just feel shitty

The whole situation is shitty. I'm sorry. Just work on getting your resume updated and sent out.

In regards to the bolded, was it up to you or just one of the assistants to answer the letter? Also, do you have documentation of Bossman saying he wanted to dictate the letter, such as an email or something? Have that documentation and do not be afraid to defend yourself.

Also, when you speak to him, do not compare yourself to others in the office, no matter how true it may be. That is the hardest part, trust me I know. Just explain what you do.
     I work on the file (I inherited it from another girl who wants to retire so she cut her hours down to less than half) so I should have responded. But the way it works here is you show the letter to bossman, he tells you whether you can respond or if he wants to dictate.  It's such a small office that we don't email back and forth unless we're forwarding an e-mail from a client, so I dont have it in writing that he wanted to dictate.

I just feel shitty

I'm sorry you feel shitty. I would not assume that this other assistant has the complete skinny. 

Do not quit, if nothing else if you do get fired you will be entitled to severance whereas if you quit you'll be entitled to nothing. 

Are you a paralegal or a secretary? 
    I don't think I'll get severance. I don't think that's how it works here. I'm a Legal Administrative Assistant. You can't take a course to be a paralegal here - the only way you become a paralegal is if your boss calls you one. There's no difference here.

I just feel shitty

Unfortunately that often comes down to perception - if the only times bossman looked at you happened to be those two times an hour, he perceives you to be on the phone all the time.
    Yeah, I guess you're right. Which sucks.
  • Part of being an assistant is to remind bossman that he wanted to do something and check to see if he still does. RE: the letter dictation.

I know my boss is constantly forgetting things. And I am not his assistant- I manage one of the programs he directs. It is up to me to stay on him to do things, even though they are his job. I would keep that in mind.
  • sarahufl said:

Part of being an assistant is to remind bossman that he wanted to do something and check to see if he still does. RE: the letter dictation.

I know my boss is constantly forgetting things. And I am not his assistant- I manage one of the programs he directs. It is up to me to stay on him to do things, even though they are his job. I would keep that in mind.

Well that's the thing though - I reminded him. More than once. He's only in maybe one day a week so it's really hard to get him to do anything.
  •  

sarahufl said:

Part of being an assistant is to remind bossman that he wanted to do something and check to see if he still does. RE: the letter dictation.

Well that's the thing though - I reminded him. More than once. He's only in maybe one day a week so it's really hard to get him to do anything.
    Hm. All signs point to: Get off TK and start researching new jobs to apply to.

I still think there's a strong likelihood that you're NOT getting fired and your coworker is being a shrew. But it sounds like this is not a fantastic work environment. Not ideal timing with your wedding coming up so shortly, but life is an asshole like that. Good luck.

This.
  • Agreed that you shouldn't quit, but start looking now. 

As to the bit about the letter, this could actually be a good opening to take up some issues with him. While I was in law school, I worked for an attorney that did that kind of thing all the time. He would always tell us not to worry about something because he wanted to do it, but then he'd forget. In his mind, part of the responsibilities of the admins was to nag him about deadlines and to-do lists. A bit ridiculous IMHO, but once he communicated that expectation, the rest of us were better able to give him what he needed to keep the paychecks coming. 

Perhaps you could use this as a tool to make sure you are doing things the way he wants them, not just correctly. 
  • Sounds like something got fucked up and someone's going to take the fall for it. Hint, it's not the guy in charge, even if he's the one who fucked up.

You may or may not get fired but it sounds like now is a great time to start looking for other jobs. Don't quit. Don't slack off. Do your job and do it well. But I'd be making an escape plan.
  • I'm sorry, loveislouder.

Definitely update your resume tonight and get it out there. I would not talk to your boss about this. Wait for him to come to you - it may buy you more time. Also, his 2 week vacation is a blessing time wise. Just make sure you get all your work stuff done in case co worker doesn't actually know his next move. Good luck!
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards