deemed unacceptable. On top of that, my father has been recovering from
Leukemia over the course of 2014/2015, so my time with him is precious above
almost all else!

My husband’s family does have a Thanksgiving tradition, but
it’s gradually evolved over time and isn’t quite as stringent as my family’s
staunch practice. Their celebration is typically held out of state 6+ hours’
drive away, so it’s almost impossible to do both over one weekend. His family
has begun to poll the potential attendees, and has asked if we’ll be coming
this year, hoping to a) secure a rental property or hotel arrangements, and b)
get a firm commitment from us that we’ll attend their celebration at least
every other year.

How would you recommend communicating that we simply can’t
commit, in the most polite way? I don’t want to pull the card that my father is
recovering from cancer, because my husband’s grandparents aren't in great
health either. Everyone’s time is precious, and I wish we could do it all!

Re: New chat on splitting holidays

• Options
    This one is difficult, because in an ideal world, you could split the holidays 50/50. I'm not sure you can really say, "Yes we will be there every other year" since life happens and things come up.

Thanksgiving is a tricky holiday for my family since my mom's father died on Thanksgiving, so the obligation to go down to her house is pretty strong. It is a sad holiday for my grandmother, so being there with her is what works best for us. Luckily, my dad's family never seemed to have big family celebrations for Thanksgiving (or any holiday really, but they don't really like each other).

Now with my BF's family, his two sisters are out of state and they don't make a big deal of it. So we are able to go up and visit them on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. They would rather spend the time with us then, rather than not at all. Plus it helps that they are very easy-going.

I'm not sure this can help you, since it seems the day of is when Thanksgiving happens for them, plus a travel issue.
  • Options
    peonies said:

It may seem early, but my family is already planning for the
    2015 holiday season! Being a newly married couple, we’re a pretty hot commodity
    – which is an absolute blessing and the “worst kind of problem” I could ever
    imagine. However, to avoid the awkwardness, hurt feelings, and unease that can
    result from trying to evenly divvy up holiday time, I thought I’d tap into the
    Knot’s community resources.

Here’s my situation: Thanksgiving is a big deal in both my
    and my husband’s families. My family has a 30+ year standing tradition of
    gathering in my grandfather’s home, and the tradition is adhered to by all my
    cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. – plus their new spouses over the years. So, to
    miss Thanksgiving or even rotate year on/year off in my family is sort of
    deemed unacceptable. On top of that, my father has been recovering from
    Leukemia over the course of 2014/2015, so my time with him is precious above
    almost all else!

My husband’s family does have a Thanksgiving tradition, but
    it’s gradually evolved over time and isn’t quite as stringent as my family’s
    staunch practice. Their celebration is typically held out of state 6+ hours’
    drive away, so it’s almost impossible to do both over one weekend. His family
    has begun to poll the potential attendees, and has asked if we’ll be coming
    this year, hoping to a) secure a rental property or hotel arrangements, and b)
    get a firm commitment from us that we’ll attend their celebration at least
    every other year.

How would you recommend communicating that we simply can’t
    commit, in the most polite way? I don’t want to pull the card that my father is
    recovering from cancer, because my husband’s grandparents aren't in great
    health either. Everyone’s time is precious, and I wish we could do it all!

In my family we reschedule holidays.  I'm not sure this is something that would work for you.  The last few years we've had Christmas in January in California.  FH's family also tends to reschedule holidays because his mother no longer wants to cook.  So, we schedule Christmas for the Saturday either before or after the 25th so she can take us to a restaurant.  This past year we had 3 Thanksgivings; one two weeks before Tday at my mom's house because an aunt was visiting, on Tday we went to FH's brother's house, on the Saturday after Tday we hosted at our house.  All had slightly different menus besides the turkey, and everyone got their own share of leftovers since we took turns hosting.
  • Options
    blabla89blabla89 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    Your H can tell his family, "Thanks so much for inviting us! Peonies and I will be spending Thanksgiving with Peonies' family this year. Can't wait to see you at (insert other holiday)!"

As for a "firm commitment" that you'll attend every other year, that sounds ridiculous to me. Are they going to make you sign some kind of contract? That decision is between you and your H, and is not his family's business. If they keep pressing it or asking about next year, your H can say, "We're not sure what our plans for next year will be. Peonies and I will make that decision when it gets closer."

ETA grammar
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    My He's family lives on the other side of the country (mine is local) so we split holidays. Even years, we are with his family for Christmas and my family for Thanksgiving. Odd years, we are with his family for Thanksgiving and mine for Christmas. This way, our families can plan way into the future if they want to. We got some protesting at first but this is an extremely fair and balanced way to do things so there's not much people can say. It works great!

For your situation, I would do Thanksgiving with your family this year and Christmas with his family. Then decide how you want to handle things going forward. Keep in mind you will never please both sides, so you and your H should come up with a plan and INFORM them. You're adults and your time is not determined by popular vote.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Just like it's not fair to ask your guests to commit to your wedding too far out from the date it's certainly not OK to force you into confirming your Thanksgiving plans 3 days after Easter.

That said, I do not allow the traditions of my family or DH's family to be what dictate how we spend our holidays.   They certainly are factors but there is NO way that you two can adhere to the traditions that you both had for every holiday without someone being upset.  And frankly, I'm not going to set myself up to be the person who is upset.   So I'm not going to be in a situation of Turkey at 2 followed by a 3 hour drive for dessert at 7.   And even if family was in town, I'm not going to leave the event to go somewhere else.     So once DH and I were engaged we picked the holiday we would attend and leave it at that.  It means that we don't see my parents on Easter and only for Mass on Christmas Eve but my family does invite my ILs to Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.   We just time the celebrations so that we do private gift openings with each set of parents.

And both DH and I have cousins that we don't see ON Christmas.  We see his cousins and aunts and uncles sometime after Christmas and we do a second Christmas with my cousins after New Years.   

I would not try to make it seem like the tradition for one side is better in any way and I would not allow other family members to push you into thinking that you're bad for choosing to be with your husband either.  
  • Options
    blabla89 said:

Your H can tell his family, "Thanks so much for inviting us! Peonies and I will be spending Thanksgiving with Peonies' family this year. Can't wait to see you at (insert other holiday)!"

As for a "firm commitment" that you'll attend every other year, that sounds ridiculous to me. Are they going to make you sign some kind of contract? That decision is between you and your H, and is not his family's business. If they keep pressing it or asking about next year, your H can say, "We're not sure what our plans for next year will be. Peonies and I will make that decision when it gets closer."

ETA grammar

Yeah. We worked out a tentative system of "sharing" ourselves with extended family over holidays, and we've told them that's what we'll try to do. But things come up, and we'll evaluate each year what we need to do and where we need to be. Hell, it's a perfectly valid option for us to say we'll be having Thanksgiving with our own family (the two people in our marriage) this year. If people have an issue with that, that is their own issue and part of how we're establishing boundaries. No one should ever demand your presence or be miffed about your absence.

That said, each of use communicates these things to our own families, whether that's "We'll be there," "We won't be able to join you this year," or "We can't commit to any plans yet and we'll let you know when we can."

• Options

What does your H want to do?  You need to learn a balance between both of your respective families.  Maybe your H would be fine always doing Thanksgiving with your family, but always doing Christmas with his family.

I am lucky that my H's family consists of his mom, brother, and SIL.  So they have just been absorbed into my larger family's holidays. 

• Options
    H and I are not the least bit concered about fairness when it comes to holidays. We talked about this a lot before we got married and realized that the best plan is no plan and to weigh how we spend our holidays each year.

Things happen. H's family is much more likely to gather on a large scale (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) throughout the year for no reason at all, whereas the holidays, and occasionally a wedding (and nearly everyone is already married now!), are really the only gatherings for my family. It didn't seem "fair" that we split holidays 50/50 every year because that could mean an entire year (or longer!) without seeing my cousins, aunts and uncles.

We approach each year on its own and weigh whether or not we can attend. A lot of factors play in here, like vacation time, how much we were able to see our respective families throughout the year, finances, energy levels, etc. We've also decided that for Christmas morning we will only spend it with our family (which right now is just me and H, but will likely include little ones someday!) and we can save Christmas eve and Christmas Day night for our extended families.
  • Options

What does your H want to do?  You need to learn a balance between both of your respective families.  Maybe your H would be fine always doing Thanksgiving with your family, but always doing Christmas with his family.

I am lucky that my H's family consists of his mom, brother, and SIL.  So they have just been absorbed into my larger family's holidays. 

This.  You need to talk to your H and see his feelings on all of this.  But I do think it is kind of ridiculous that your family is so set in stone with their Thanksgiving plans.  It is kind of unfair to those marrying into your family to basically be told that spending that day with their family would be unthinkable.

H and I really don't have a set plan.  We started out saying we would flip flop holidays but with my family being in GA and FL and his being about 5-45 minutes away from where we live, a lot of times the flip flopping just doesn't happen.  So we kind of just decide as the holidays get closer.  

My family and H and I do discuss holidays far in advance because it includes travel and taking time off of work if H and I were to go down to GA or FL.

• Options
    We have split up for the holidays the past couple years but this year we'll have an infant so that won't be an option anymore...so I'm just following along. His family is 3.5 hours away so visiting both in one day isn't an option. We may see if my fam can "Reschedule" Thanksgiving. Christmas will be way harder. We'd offer to host but we don't have room. That may become the rule when we move though. 
  • Options

This.  You need to talk to your H and see his feelings on all of this.  But I do think it is kind of ridiculous that your family is so set in stone with their Thanksgiving plans.  It is kind of unfair to those marrying into your family to basically be told that spending that day with their family would be unthinkable.

H and I really don't have a set plan.  We started out saying we would flip flop holidays but with my family being in GA and FL and his being about 5-45 minutes away from where we live, a lot of times the flip flopping just doesn't happen.  So we kind of just decide as the holidays get closer.  

My family and H and I do discuss holidays far in advance because it includes travel and taking time off of work if H and I were to go down to GA or FL.

QFT
  • Options
    banana468 said:

Just like it's not fair to ask your guests to commit to your wedding too far out from the date it's certainly not OK to force you into confirming your Thanksgiving plans 3 days after Easter.

That said, I do not allow the traditions of my family or DH's family to be what dictate how we spend our holidays.   They certainly are factors but there is NO way that you two can adhere to the traditions that you both had for every holiday without someone being upset.  And frankly, I'm not going to set myself up to be the person who is upset.   So I'm not going to be in a situation of Turkey at 2 followed by a 3 hour drive for dessert at 7.   And even if family was in town, I'm not going to leave the event to go somewhere else.     So once DH and I were engaged we picked the holiday we would attend and leave it at that.  It means that we don't see my parents on Easter and only for Mass on Christmas Eve but my family does invite my ILs to Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.   We just time the celebrations so that we do private gift openings with each set of parents.

And both DH and I have cousins that we don't see ON Christmas.  We see his cousins and aunts and uncles sometime after Christmas and we do a second Christmas with my cousins after New Years.   

I would not try to make it seem like the tradition for one side is better in any way and I would not allow other family members to push you into thinking that you're bad for choosing to be with your husband either.  
    I agree with the bolded. You can't really commit this far in advance because so much can change. FI and I always try to split time between our families because they live so close, but we can't always plan. 

Last year my grandmother died about a month before Thanksgiving. We were planning to spend Thanksgiving day with FI's family that year but after she died we both agreed it made more sense to go to my family's for Thanksgiving day. 

You need to be flexible and I agree saying you have to spend Thanksgiving at your place every year is quite unfair.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Guess what? I've never spent a Thanksgiving with my husband and we've been together for 4 years. He's considered an "essential employee" and always has to work on Thanksgiving. He has dinner (lunch) with his family and then goes to work. My family is 2 hours away, so I go to my parents house for a couple days. 

This year we had a new puppy, so I only stayed for a couple days instead of the whole weekend, like I used to. My mom was all "you're leaving already?" I just told her I needed to spend time with my husband, and he missed the puppy (and me!)

My husband's family is Jewish, so Christmas isn't an issue, other than H usually has to work if it's on his normally scheduled day. 

@Southernbelle0915 , are you still going to split holidays and travel when you have your baby?

• Options
    kao2015kao2015 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2015

QFT

------------------------------------------------------------
    Pretend there's a box here...

Absolutely this. H's family thinks they own Christmas because they have a whole big thing on Christmas Eve, and they will lose their minds if we ever spend it with my family instead. It drives me batty. You need to figure out what your H wants and find a way to meet in the middle. If that means missing some Thanksgivings with your family, I don't think that's a crazy sacrifice to make for your husband's sake.
  • Options
    I agree completely with PPs that you need to talk with your DH about what he wants and not just default to your family because they're more aggressive about assuming everyone needs to be at their event.  

But in terms of actually letting them know (if you both truly decide not to go), obviously it's completely reasonable to not know yet, but you could always default and blame it on you'll decide which holidays you hit up each year depending on when Christmas falls during the week (depending on when you're off of work, travel, etc.)
  • Options
    redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    I have to say NEITHER of your families is playing fair. 

Your H's is trying to make you commit to this year far far too early while your family is trying to make you commit to every single year. I understand that as the new married couple you are a hot commodity, but families (especially yours) needs to understand that you are a married couple now. You are your own family and they have to share and there may be a time when you won't come to either holiday celebration at because you'll be doing your own thing together or with kids or because shit happens and you can't make it.

Wanting to spend this Thanksgiving with your family, because of your father's illness, is perfectly acceptable and it's not "pulling a card," it's a legitimate reason. But you and your DH have to talk and decide what you both want to do because this sort of situation will come up year after year unless you set rules and boundaries now. 

• Options
    This is one issue that makes my interfaith relationship so much less complicated and so we got our holiday situation figured out early on. Because my FI's family isn't Christian, we spend Christmas and Easter with my mother always. My mother isn't from the US originally so she only celebrated Thanksgiving because my brother and I wanted to but it wasn't her tradition so she doesn't care about it as much, so we always spend Thanksgiving with his family, plus his family usually has a summertime reunion that we go to. I feel bad for my brother and his wife because they have a baby too and everybody wants to see them at every holiday. They're driving all over the state at Christmas to see everyone, it's got to be a pain. Their compromise is to see everyone at Christmas (since at least it's all in-state), and switch off years for Thanksgiving and Easter. 
  • Options
    I'm not sure if this is something you can propose to your in-laws, but depending on how many people are torn between families, they might go for it. What my nephew's father (my sister's ex husband) family does, because so many of the members are now married and kids are torn between mom's house, dad's house & now in-laws houses, they celebrate on Friday instead of Thursday. They decided on Thanksgiving, go wherever you need to go to visit other family, we'll celebrate on Friday. This way, everyone comes together and shares a meal and no one is coming in late because they had to be somewhere else or run off early. Christmas is kind of the same, Christmas Eve is with other family, Christmas morning is with your immediate family & Christmas afternoon is at his dad's house. I realize depending on location of the different families, this isn't an option for everyone. But I have heard that more families are going through route when family is local so everyone gets time together.
  • Options
    It took us awhile to learn how to split holidays. Our families are just over an hour apart so some of the holidays it doesn't work to split. With that said, we live only 10 min from my family and see them more often so we tend to do more holidays with H's family, or end the holidays with my family since we are already almost home.

Easter - we split every other year
    Mother's Day - brunch with his family and dinner with my family
    Father's day - typically do our own thing as his family golfs and I don't!
    4th of July - His Family every year as it is a long standing tradition with a big pool party followed by a huge wiffle ball tournament the next day
    Thanksgiving - Thanksgiving eve into an early dinner the next day (a big backyard family football game he can't miss before dinner) then dessert with my family
    Christmas  - Christmas eve into Christmas morning with his family (MIL gets us all matching PJs the night before and then we all open our gifts together first thing in the morning then rush to my family for 11am to open gifts with them then the rest of the day with my extended family
    New Years - Just seems to work out that we have spent 7 of the last 9 NYE with H's family (although my parents did join for one of those years!)

This was likely more then you were asking for but just to show we end up spending a lot more of the holidays with H's family. That is partly because a lot of these are long standing traditions and partly because we are one of the few family members that don't live within 10 minutes of the rest of his family. So this is our time to catch up and be included. As I mentioned before I see my family regularly. 

Although when we have children I am not sure how it will affect all this! 

Anniversary
  • Options
    ChemFanatic25ChemFanatic25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015

When I was dating my ex his external family believed they had a claim on all major holidays and expected me to be there. The last year I was with him (we were engaged) I put my foot down and said I would be spending part of Christmas with my family. My father had just died and although I don't get along greatly with my family I wanted to do this. His family pitched a fit and I did not bend to it. He backed me up.

Now holidays aren't too big of a deal for me. I like to relax. This year I actually spent the holidays with my boyfriend. I did what I felt I was most comfortable with. It worked out since my mom had to work Thanksgiving and it was a little less stressful for me.

Based on my experiences I suggest going with what is most comfortable for you AND your H. He deserves to see his family just as much as you do. Maybe you could see your parents and he could go see his. Or you could start a tradition of your own and host a holiday at your place. I don't like when families make holidays stressful. It makes me dread them. I've already started to establish boundaries so that this will not continue and I think it's good for everyone to try that.

Edit: Just wanted to add I did spend the weekend before Thanksgiving with my family and that was a crapshow but the actual holidays - that was nice. So there was a compromise for my family and I. I believe anyone who isn't willing to compromise doesn't deserve to be worked with anyway but that's just me being a PITA.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    FWIW, I think it's also important that you DON'T make any blanket statements about a precedent that you intend to set for years and years either.

FIL let me know that BIL announced to him that they will not come back for Christmas ever.   The statement p!ssed off FIL to no end because it leaves no possibility for compromise.   While family needs to respect your choices, don't make plans that go out so far your doctor's office can't schedule your appointment at that time. 
  • Options
    I don't have a good answer for you. We don't split holidays with either of our families. We make everyone come to us. Our son is two now and ever since he was born we have had all holidays at our home. It's too much work loading up children to go out to visit.

You may want to keep this in mind if you and FI decide that you want to have children in the future, that may change how you celebrate your holidays too. It did in our home. My FI dislikes Christmas for various reasons and never celebrated it until we had our son, now he goes all our with decorating and helping me cook and bake.

Don't commit to anything with either side, take time to experience what both your families do during all the holidays and make your own traditions in the end.
  • Options
    I'm "lucky" that was live far from family.   DH's job requires him to work on holidays.   MIL's side doesn't travel.  My side does travel, but all of my siblings lives far from each other and our parents. My parents have lived in other countries at some  point too.

My sister has a very firm one year our side gets them for thanksgiving, BIL's side for Xmas.  Then it switches the next year.  It's VERY firm.  If I can't make their holiday that year, so be it. 

Because of all of that we are all over the place.  No 2 years are the same.  

I've spent Thanksgiving at my sister's without DH twice.  Never have spent one with DH's side.

2 years in a row we were able to spend xmas with family.  The first year we spent xmas eve with my sister (since it was our side) and then drove 3 hours to MIL's on xmas day.  The next year it was just MIL because it was BILs side to have xmas so I couldn't go to my sister's.  My parents decided to go on a cruise so they were not around anyway.      We didn't have a lot of time to do both anyway, so it worked out.      

Last year my parents came to us for thanksgiving (went to DH's place for dinner).  For xmas my parents went to Hawaii for xmas with my sister.  We were invited, couldn't go because DH had to work.

As I said, DH's side does not travel.   As in MIL has NEVER been to any of our homes.  So if we don't go to them we will never see them for a holiday (or any other time for that matter).   

We never think about spending time with family on other holidays.  This year we did spend it with DH's family, but that was mostly because we were on the east coast anyway. (DH's job closed for a few weeks and it happen to be around Easter.  very unusual).  We saw my family for a few days then went to his on Easter (3 hours away).  My nieces/nephews were off the week before Easter.  His siblings all had off the days after Easter.   The stars were aligned for us.  

We have spent the 4th at my parents a few times.  Just worked out schedule wise.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    @huskypuppy14 - Guess what? I've never spent a Thanksgiving with my husband and we've been together for 4 years. He's considered an "essential employee" and always has to work on Thanksgiving. He has dinner (lunch) with his family and then goes to work. My family is 2 hours away, so I go to my parents house for a couple days. 

This year we had a new puppy, so I only stayed for a couple days instead of the whole weekend, like I used to. My mom was all "you're leaving already?" I just told her I needed to spend time with my husband, and he missed the puppy (and me!)

My husband's family is Jewish, so Christmas isn't an issue, other than H usually has to work if it's on his normally scheduled day. 

@Southernbelle0915 , are you still going to split holidays and travel when you have your baby?

Hey - I'm sorry, I didn't see this page until today!

So I'm due in September this year. It's an odd year which means Thanksgiving with DH's folks. I don't really want to fly across the country with a 2 month old. We have invited his folks to come to us - something they have NEVER done for a holiday. So we're still offering to spend it with them, but that we will be home and we'd like to host them. 

I imagine we'll still reserve Thanksgiving/Xmas to be with them, but it may mean that they have to travel if they want to spend it with us. Especially as our family expands, it'll make more sense for them to travel (2 people) versus for us to travel (3+ people).
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    We're pretty lucky as we have both sides of the family living nearby. We usually go to my MIL's for things like Christmas dinner, Thanksgiving, etc but she also invites my mom. My dad died when I was young and my mom is the only other immediate family I have. My MIL considers my mom family to her as well which is awesome. I would never leave her alone on a holiday. My DH's parents are divorced and his brother comes with his family every second holiday. We usually visit FIL and his wife on holiday evenings. Once we're in a bigger home I hope to host dinner ourselves and have people come to us.
  • Options
    This is something that we struggle with as well. Holidays are spent driving/flying from place to place, and practically require a gantt chart. Our solution is to have kids as quickly as possible, so that we can make everyone come to us!

• Options
    I feel your pain. FI and I are both RNs, and essential personnel, so us getting to even celebrate ANY holiday is a struggle, let alone with whom we will share this ONE holiday we get each year. If we work Christmas, we have Thanksgiving off and vice versa the following year. 

Try to imagine the cluster of trying to figure out who will see us this year. It blows massively.  Luckily  right now, our families live close by, so it is possible for us to split the day between our families. But I loath to think of the day when one of our families moves...or if we move.  It'll be awful to decide because I am VERY close with my family and it sucks having to make the decision that "well sorry family but I won't be seeing you at all for the holidays this year, but I'll see you next year on this other holiday". 

I haven't been to my aunt's house for Christmas in 4 years. It really really sucks.
  • Options
    redoryx said:

I have to say NEITHER of your families is playing fair. 

Your H's is trying to make you commit to this year far far too early while your family is trying to make you commit to every single year. I understand that as the new married couple you are a hot commodity, but families (especially yours) needs to understand that you are a married couple now. You are your own family and they have to share and there may be a time when you won't come to either holiday celebration at because you'll be doing your own thing together or with kids or because shit happens and you can't make it.

Wanting to spend this Thanksgiving with your family, because of your father's illness, is perfectly acceptable and it's not "pulling a card," it's a legitimate reason. But you and your DH have to talk and decide what you both want to do because this sort of situation will come up year after year unless you set rules and boundaries now. 

I agree with this 100%.

As married adults, it needs to be up to you together, not your families, what your plans are for holidays. Neither family has the right to decide that for you, regardless of what is "traditional" in your respective families. Sometimes you might want to be with one family, sometimes the other, and sometimes neither. Anyone upset by that needs to do some getting over it. But it's something you and your husband need to negotiate between yourselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards