Chit Chat
Options

I hate the spring!

There's no tornado in my area right now, but we were under a watch earlier. The wind now is blowing so hard that it woke me up, and I had to check the weather. I know it's all straight line winds, but when I try to go back to sleep, I imagine I hear that train sound that a funnel makes. I'm too freaked out by this weather to live in Oklahoma, but here I am. Born and raised in Oklahoma, and I'm a big baby when it comes to storms. I need it to calm down, so I can go back to sleep.

Ugh, it's spring in tornado ally. Sweet... :/

Re: I hate the spring!

• Options
    Come up to Michigan. We're getting a delicate sprinkle on the crocuses today and shouldn't have tornadoes til July. :)

• Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    Michigan is pretty ugly in the spring but we don't have tornadoes for awhile and only in the south!

Stay safe!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Agreed, spring is my least favorite season, but in Ohio we only have spring for about 48 hours. Unless you go by allergies, instead of temperature. 
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I give you mad props because I honestly don't think I could handle living somewhere that was susceptible to tornadoes. Come to NY! We just have wacky weather and hurricanes once in a while. 
  • Options
    I hate it too. Massachusetts here, and today we're dealing with dark skies, freezing rain and stupid allergies. At least there is only about a foot of snow left in the snow banks instead of 4 feet as it was last month.

Stay strong with the winds! I'm scared of tornadoes just because I've never experienced them.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    That sounds terrifying. We get a tornado every few years up here but they are generally extremely small and don't cause damage, with only one exception I can think of in my lifetime, so I can't really imagine how scary it must be to experience them more frequently.

That's the trade off for living up here though - snowstorms into May and -40, yeah, but no tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, giant insects, or humidity. Sometimes it almost feels like adequate compensation...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Here in NC we had severe thunderstorms and hail. DH and I woke up first at 12:30 then again at 3:30 because it was so loud and the lightening was so often and very bright.

• Options
    I live in Tornado Alley too :) And I love it. I wouldn't live anywhere else. But I understand that it's frightening for some people as well. I've done some storm chasing so I might be slightly off my rocker on this subject.

• Options
    Yikes that's scary! I can't imagine living somewhere that got tornadoes. 

I also hate spring, but because of the insane pollen. I feel like I'm choking on it every time I go outside. Ick. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I hate spring. My allergies are killing me right now. This spring in particular makes me ragey. It was almost 70 on Monday, and will be around 70 tomorrow. Today? Low 40s and rainy. This has left me stuck with an extra ticket for tonight's Yankees game because no one wants to come out in this weather. Any local ladies want to take the ticket off my hands?
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    KatieinBklnKatieinBkln member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

I hate spring. My allergies are killing me right now. This spring in particular makes me ragey. It was almost 70 on Monday, and will be around 70 tomorrow. Today? Low 40s and rainy. This has left me stuck with an extra ticket for tonight's Yankees game because no one wants to come out in this weather. Any local ladies want to take the ticket off my hands?

We went yesterday, and left in the 6th! It was fun to be there, but ultimately miserable. We were up in the nosebleeds behind home plate, which is apparently the exact direction the wind blows. We popped down to lower levels and stood for a bit, but even that was not particularly pleasant.

Spring is the worst. I think we are conditioned to pretend to like it because it's technically warmer and less shitty than winter? But I'd rather be snowed on than rained on. And the promise of flowers/etc. is small consolation, especially when it's been so dreary and cold that we're still seeing crocuses (usually it's full-on daffodil season by now in NY, am I right?).

It feels like November today.

This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options

We went yesterday, and left in the 6th! It was fun to be there, but ultimately miserable. We were up in the nosebleeds behind home plate, which is apparently the exact direction the wind blows. We popped down to lower levels and stood for a bit, but even that was not particularly pleasant.

Spring is the worst. I think we are conditioned to pretend to like it because it's technically warmer and less shitty than winter? But I'd rather be snowed on than rained on. And the promise of flowers/etc. is small consolation, especially when it's been so dreary and cold that we're still seeing crocuses (usually it's full-on daffodil season by now in NY, am I right?).

We have bleacher seats. I'm leaving work early to put on Under Armor under like 50 layers of clothes. DH tolerates cold temperatures far better than I do, so he'll likely want to stay for the whole game. I might just take his credit card and go to the Steiner store where it's warm.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options

We have bleacher seats. I'm leaving work early to put on Under Armor under like 50 layers of clothes. DH tolerates cold temperatures far better than I do, so he'll likely want to stay for the whole game. I might just take his credit card and go to the Steiner store where it's warm.
    They're also selling watery hot chocolate for $4, so there's that! Good luck--there's no such thing as too many layers or too many blankets.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options

I did plant tulips in the winter and they bloomed! It was the highlight of my week. But then it rained a lot and now all the petals have fallen off so I was excited about spring for about one and half weeks. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

They're also selling watery hot chocolate for $4, so there's that! Good luck--there's no such thing as too many layers or too many blankets.

Since you can't by alcohol in the bleachers, I might just camp out near one of the beer carts all night!

littlepep said:

I did plant tulips in the winter and they bloomed! It was the highlight of my week. But then it rained a lot and now all the petals have fallen off so I was excited about spring for about one and half weeks. 

They usually do the landscaping in our complex in March. Good thing they didn't this year because nothing would have survived. Good thing I kept my plants on the windowsill!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Spring here is ridiculous. Can be t-shirt weather one day, snowing the next. We usually still get a good dumping of snow in May.

Currently though, its beautiful out. However that comes with wind. Warm chinook wind brings the nice weather, but since they haven't swept the streets yet since most of the snow melted, if you go for a walk you get pelted with sand, dust, rocks.... 

I went for a walk the other night, gave up after 20 minutes of battling clouds of debris flying in my face, came home and my black jeans were pale brown and my teeth were muddy, and my face was caked in dirt. It was so so gross.
  • Options

Spring here is ridiculous. Can be t-shirt weather one day, snowing the next. We usually still get a good dumping of snow in May.

Currently though, its beautiful out. However that comes with wind. Warm chinook wind brings the nice weather, but since they haven't swept the streets yet since most of the snow melted, if you go for a walk you get pelted with sand, dust, rocks.... 

I went for a walk the other night, gave up after 20 minutes of battling clouds of debris flying in my face, came home and my black jeans were pale brown and my teeth were muddy, and my face was caked in dirt. It was so so gross.
    This is my life walking home from work every day right now. The snow on the streets is gone but all the gravel and stuff from sanding the roads all winter is EVERYWHERE and we pretty much walk home through a dust storm every day, exacerbated by all the construction that's already started. I come home with grit in my teeth and my contacts and a fine layer of it all over my work clothes. Gross.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry, OP. I don't like it either. We were under a tornado watch this morning (which is a pretty normal thing where I live) and it never used to bother me, except that my current house has no basement. 

Last summer a tornado touched down 3 miles from our house, so FI and I and both our dogs were all piled in our little stupid bath tub. 

Another day when we were at work, I came home to find an entire tree had come down in a storm (got struck by lightning) went across our entire yard, and crushed our garden, but luckily it didn't land on anything else. But that's when I was like, "Well shit. We live in a tiny crappy house surrounded by old trees with no basement. We might be screwed." 
  • Options
    I don't live in Tornado Alley, but I *am* in Alabama, so we get pretty severe tornados about once a year, along with spatterings of warnings all through the spring and summer (and into the fall). I can remember several times hunkering in an apartment closet or bathroom with all my roommates waiting for warnings to expire. 

When I was in high school, we had one go by less than a mile from us. The sirens woke my dad up, and then he could sort of hear the "train", and he woke everyone else up and hustled us into a downstairs hallway (no basement), but it missed us. The most fascinating thing about it, to me, was that there were two houses nearby us that both had "redneck knick-knacks" in the yard. The houses were right next to each other, and the one house lost all its knick-knacks, and the other's were completely untouched - they only looked a little bedraggled.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

Our crocuses are up but haven't opened yet. The tulips and hyacinths tried to come up in like November and then got smacked with cold, hard realization that that was the wrong move. They're still frozen in place, don't think there's much hope for them this year. 

• Options
    I love flowers but for me that's about the only enjoyable thing about spring. I hate spring because of tax season. And I hate Passover after the second Seder night.
  • Options
    So.... I found my first real reason to dislike spring.

People want to "thaw out" and do fun things like go out to eat. And we get people like Michael Bolton coming to do a concert here and having buffets at 9:30 at night. And then those buffets end up keeping poor FI out til all hours and making us cancel meetings with our officiant. 

I am displeased. This is what I get for bitching about there being nothing to do - things to do come to town and make life worse. -.-
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    That really sucks.  Here we just have snirt, mud, and temperatures that constantly go up and down.
  • Options

I'm sorry, OP. I don't like it either. We were under a tornado watch this morning (which is a pretty normal thing where I live) and it never used to bother me, except that my current house has no basement. 

Last summer a tornado touched down 3 miles from our house, so FI and I and both our dogs were all piled in our little stupid bath tub. 

Another day when we were at work, I came home to find an entire tree had come down in a storm (got struck by lightning) went across our entire yard, and crushed our garden, but luckily it didn't land on anything else. But that's when I was like, "Well shit. We live in a tiny crappy house surrounded by old trees with no basement. We might be screwed." 
    I have a storm shelter in my garage, and when I get scared enough, I crate the bunnies and hedgehog and get them in there. In extreme situations, I go down too with my dog and supplies. Last night, I kept wondering if I needed to get my caged pets ready, but it didn't get that serious. I'm just a big baby. 
  • Options
    doeydo said:

That really sucks.  Here we just have snirt, mud, and temperatures that constantly go up and down.

I may have to google this "snirt" you speak of. I've never heard this word. It sounds like something from Dr. Seuss. 
  • Options
    Snirt = snow + dirt? I like it.

• Options
    These lovely things:
  • Options
    I spoke too soon. Tornado warnings tonight. And they're preempting Jeopardy with weather reports! How rude!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards