Chit Chat

Spinoff: how clean is your house? (normally)

Re: Spinoff: how clean is your house? (normally)

• levioosa said:

I feel like making your guests wear non slip shoes or even to take off their shoes is a little micromanaging/bordering on rude.  By all means, make the troop of children who just rolled around in the mud outside take off their shoes, but adults?  I think it's a little much.  Even if I had a no shoe policy in my house for my family, I would never mandate that a guest follow it.  I want them to be as comfortable as possible. 

I was raised with the idea that it's rude to wear shoes in someone's house if they don't like having shoes on their carpet. To this day, when I go to someone's house I always ask if they'd like me to take my shoes off. It's just a habit, cuz I always thought that was the normal, curteous thing to do. 
  • levioosa said:

I feel like making your guests wear non slip shoes or even to take off their shoes is a little micromanaging/bordering on rude.  By all means, make the troop of children who just rolled around in the mud outside take off their shoes, but adults?  I think it's a little much.  Even if I had a no shoe policy in my house for my family, I would never mandate that a guest follow it.  I want them to be as comfortable as possible. 

I was raised with the idea that it's rude to wear shoes in someone's house if they don't like having shoes on their carpet. To this day, when I go to someone's house I always ask if they'd like me to take my shoes off. It's just a habit, cuz I always thought that was the normal, curteous thing to do. 
    Same here. It IS the courteous thing to do. My default is to take my shoes off and/or ask. If someone says "no, please, you don't need to take your shoes off" then ok. But I think it's polite to at least ask. 

Shoes are gross and walk over all kinds of nastiness. 
    *********************************************************************************

• levioosa said:

I grew up this way too, and out of habit I always just take my shoes off. Shoes were never allowed in my house as a kid so it feels strange to me to walk into one with them on, I feel like they are for outside, not inside. And if I am a guest in someone's house I like to be a courteous guest, it is their house so I don't think that what I do at home should apply, their house, their rules. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jenna8984 said:

Wait... wait... people separate their laundry?! You don't just throw it all in together? And, like, put shit in the dishwasher right away?I am a complete adulting failure

NO I don't separate a god damn thing. And I'm having a hard time seeing why people do so much laundry. Do people wash their work pants and sweaters after each wear? Do people wash their towels after just a few showers? When I get home from work (sitting in an office all day) I hang my clothes back in the closet. I didn't sweat on them, I don't smell bad. Even tank tops that go under my work shirts, I'll set aside and wear another 1-2 times. The t-shirt I wear to sleep gets about 4 days before I change it out. The towels get about 3 weeks (15 showers) before they wash. The only things that get put in the laundry daily are undies, socks, and DH's work shirts because he does sweat his off ass. We do 2 loads every OTHER Saturday.
    Nopenopenopenopenope, I can't imagine leaving towels that long. The bath towels get washed every week (with the bathmat, hand towels, bathrobes, and all the washcloths used that week), and separately from the kitchen towels, because I don't like the thought of dirty dishcloths getting washed with my facecloths and stuff.

Sheets and towels always go in hot water too because I've got an irrational germ thing with them and I'd freaking sterilize them totally if I could.

I do wash virtually all my work clothes after each wear. I walk home from work and my trousers and stuff get dirty or dusty (depending on the time of year), plus stuff stretches out and then doesn't fit right until I wash it again (sweaters especially.) It's not a fear-of-smelling-bad thing, it's just so I don't have bagged-out knees and elbows or whatever and so I don't have dirt splatters from the bus roaring past me as I cross the streets and stuff.I realize it's more wear and tear on them in the long run but still.

@princessofgenovia, I wash our stuff separately because FI's stuff gets all sweaty and gross, mainly, but it's also because I like to use different soap for my clothes than for his stuff (he's really allergic to a lot of detergents, so his clothes and the sheets and towels and stuff get one type, but my own stuff gets another that smells better.)

You wash your BATH MAT every week?!

I think I've washed ours once since September.

Count me as a person who didn't know they could even be washed? It has that rubber backing thing on it, so it can't go in the washer/dryer, right...?

We pretty much throw it out whenever it gets nasty.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • edited April 2015

levioosa said:

Shoes are dirty... they carry a whole lotta nastiness on them.  I'd prefer that that nastiness not be inside of my home where I like to walk barefoot or whatever and not have that nastiness transferred to my bed, couch etc... 

Honestly, most people ask when they come in as they see our shoes by the door and if they are not comfortable with being barefoot, I offer them something for their feet so that they are comfortable.  I leave a basket with clean non-slip socks/slippers (non-slip because of hardwood floors) by the door which makes it less awkward.  If some one is really uncomfortable of course I don't force them to remove their shoes, but IMO it is bordering on rude to not respect someone's space.    

• sarawifenowsarawifenow member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    amelisha said:

WTF Box?

I would never ever tell a guest in my house that they needed to take off their shoes and wear non-slip socks. I can't even imagine how uncomfortable that person would feel!

ETA @amelisha I have no idea why you are tagged here! TK hates me today. :(

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • levioosa said:

Shoes are dirty... they carry a whole lotta nastiness on them.  I'd prefer that that nastiness not be inside of my home where I like to walk barefoot or whatever and not have that nastiness transferred to my bed, couch etc... 

Honestly, most people ask when they come in as they see our shoes by the door and if they are not comfortable with being barefoot, I offer them something for their feet so that they are comfortable.  I leave a basket with clean non-slip socks/slippers (non-slip because of hardwood floors) by the door which makes it less awkward.  If some one is really uncomfortable of course I don't force them to remove their shoes, but IMO it is bordering on rude to not respect someone's space.    

YES.. all of this! I always stand by the fact that if my 95yr old grandpa can take his shoes off when he comes into a house then most other people can too. The only exception I make to this is if I am having a lot of people over for a bbq or party but then I have a carpet cleaning appointment lined up for the next day. I do yoga almost nightly in my house, I don't want to be putting my face on the nastiness someone just trudged through outside. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosa said:

I grew up this way too, and out of habit I always just take my shoes off. Shoes were never allowed in my house as a kid so it feels strange to me to walk into one with them on, I feel like they are for outside, not inside. And if I am a guest in someone's house I like to be a courteous guest, it is their house so I don't think that what I do at home should apply, their house, their rules. 
    I always ask, but I also expect that if someone is hosting a dinner party or something where people got dressed up, then that rule will be exempt (anyone remember that Sex and the City episode when Carrie's friend made her take off her Manolo's and somebody jacked them?). 

Because if you're having a party with lots of people, chances are your floors will need mopping the next day regardless.
  • jenna8984 said:

Wait... wait... people separate their laundry?! You don't just throw it all in together? And, like, put shit in the dishwasher right away?I am a complete adulting failure

NO I don't separate a god damn thing. And I'm having a hard time seeing why people do so much laundry. Do people wash their work pants and sweaters after each wear? Do people wash their towels after just a few showers? When I get home from work (sitting in an office all day) I hang my clothes back in the closet. I didn't sweat on them, I don't smell bad. Even tank tops that go under my work shirts, I'll set aside and wear another 1-2 times. The t-shirt I wear to sleep gets about 4 days before I change it out. The towels get about 3 weeks (15 showers) before they wash. The only things that get put in the laundry daily are undies, socks, and DH's work shirts because he does sweat his off ass. We do 2 loads every OTHER Saturday.
    Nopenopenopenopenope, I can't imagine leaving towels that long. The bath towels get washed every week (with the bathmat, hand towels, bathrobes, and all the washcloths used that week), and separately from the kitchen towels, because I don't like the thought of dirty dishcloths getting washed with my facecloths and stuff.

Sheets and towels always go in hot water too because I've got an irrational germ thing with them and I'd freaking sterilize them totally if I could.

I do wash virtually all my work clothes after each wear. I walk home from work and my trousers and stuff get dirty or dusty (depending on the time of year), plus stuff stretches out and then doesn't fit right until I wash it again (sweaters especially.) It's not a fear-of-smelling-bad thing, it's just so I don't have bagged-out knees and elbows or whatever and so I don't have dirt splatters from the bus roaring past me as I cross the streets and stuff.I realize it's more wear and tear on them in the long run but still.

@princessofgenovia, I wash our stuff separately because FI's stuff gets all sweaty and gross, mainly, but it's also because I like to use different soap for my clothes than for his stuff (he's really allergic to a lot of detergents, so his clothes and the sheets and towels and stuff get one type, but my own stuff gets another that smells better.)

Count me as a person who didn't know they could even be washed? It has that rubber backing thing on it, so it can't go in the washer/dryer, right...?

I've tossed rubber-backed bath mats into my washer, and the dryer. It was fine. After several washes the backing started to fall apart, but I have no problem throwing out bath mats. 
  • jenna8984 said:

I've tossed rubber-backed bath mats into my washer, and the dryer. It was fine. After several washes the backing started to fall apart, but I have no problem throwing out bath mats. 

Yeah, they're so cheap, and washing any type of big/weird item at the laundromat is such a pain in the ass.
  • amelisha said:

WTF Box?

I would never ever tell a guest in my house that they needed to take off their shoes and wear non-slip socks. I can't even imagine how uncomfortable that person would feel!

In truth, my fiancé was a little uncomfortable with the idea of it at first, but now he loves it.  It reduces allergens, dirt, dust and a host of germs in the home.  I guess most of my friends and family are used to it.  I will say if I am hosting and event at the home I don't request this, but all of my floor are for sure vacuumed and moped afterwards.  I guess I really don't have that many people who come over who are not close to me.  I think pretty much all of my friends and family know I'm like that, and I know quite a few people who do the same.  It is not uncommon in many cultures.

• levioosa said:

YES.. all of this! I always stand by the fact that if my 95yr old grandpa can take his shoes off when he comes into a house then most other people can too. The only exception I make to this is if I am having a lot of people over for a bbq or party but then I have a carpet cleaning appointment lined up for the next day. I do yoga almost nightly in my house, I don't want to be putting my face on the nastiness someone just trudged through outside. 
    That to me seems a lot like the "my family loves me/does it, and so everybody else needs to do it too!"  logic that SSs use here all the time.

It also feels like dictating what your guests wear/do with their clothes.  I don't mind asking people if they would like me to take off my shoes, especially if I go over and there is a pile of shoes by the door, or if they take theirs off.  But tell me I need to take them off and hand me some non-slip booties?  That's pretty rude, IMO. 

• amelisha said:

WTF Box?

In truth, my fiancé was a little uncomfortable with the idea of it at first, but now he loves it.  It reduces allergens, dirt, dust and a host of germs in the home.  I guess most of my friends and family are used to it.  I will say if I am hosting and event at the home I don't request this, but all of my floor are for sure vacuumed and moped afterwards.  I guess I really don't have that many people who come over who are not close to me.  I think pretty much all of my friends and family know I'm like that, and I know quite a few people who do the same.  It is not uncommon in many cultures.

My sister once dated a guy who would not let her sit down until she changed clothes. She took public transit to school, and he said he couldn't have her pants that had "public transportation germs" all over them to touch his couch. 
  • amelisha said:

WTF Box?

My sister once dated a guy who would not let her sit down until she changed clothes. She took public transit to school, and he said he couldn't have her pants that had "public transportation germs" all over them to touch his couch. 
    Is it horrible that imagining your nutty sister bending to the will of another nutty person makes me happy?
    lol! No. Not horrible at all. 
  • levioosa said:

levioosa said:

That to me seems a lot like the "my family loves me/does it, and so everybody else needs to do it too!"  logic that SSs use here all the time.

It also feels like dictating what your guests wear/do with their clothes.  I don't mind asking people if they would like me to take off my shoes, especially if I go over and there is a pile of shoes by the door, or if they take theirs off.  But tell me I need to take them off and hand me some non-slip booties?  That's pretty rude, IMO. 
    Ok, so if you are the person who asks, what is the difference?  You are following the lead, as I said most people do.  It's polite to ask as you already do.  As for the slip booties that would be for people doing work in the house, not guests.  As I indicated I don't demand it.  If someone is uncomfortable I don't force the issue.  I think having something available for guests who do remove their shoes is accommodating and wanting them to be comfortable. 

• amelisha said:

WTF Box?

That is BSC @novella1186

Re: the shoe thing. My shoes get taken off promptly when I walk in the door. I just hate shoes in general...much like I hate pants. Lol!

I would just never dream of telling someone else to do this.

@classicandedgy honest question. What would you do if someone refused to take off their shoes? Would you make them leave?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • levioosa said:

levioosa said:

We will not agree on this, i don't think it's dictating at all what people wear, I'm not asking you to drop your pants at the door and put on scrubs. The majority of people I have over are family/friends and not one of them has refused. To me it's the same thing as riding your bicycle into my living room, your shoes are on those same surfaces but I guess this is just the way I look at it. If I went to your house and you asked me to wipe out the sink after washing my hands I would do it because it's your house and clearly this is something you do. I am a guest, I don't own your house and I want to respect your wishes. I don't think anyone is saying they hand you a pair of non slip socks when you walk in, they are there for the comfort of the guests if they would like to put them on.

As stated in an earlier post as well, if I'm having a large enough gathering I won't ask this, but if you are my friend and I have invited you for dinner and a movie night then yes, I will ask you to take them off.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • amelisha said:

WTF Box?

That is BSC @novella1186

Re: the shoe thing. My shoes get taken off promptly when I walk in the door. I just hate shoes in general...much like I hate pants. Lol!

I would just never dream of telling someone else to do this.

@classicandedgy honest question. What would you do if someone refused to take off their shoes? Would you make them leave?

No of course not... I would never ask someone to leave for that.  If they are uncomfortable I would not press the issue, and if I'm having a party I don't ask either, but I'd be damn sure to have all the floors moped afterwards. 

The conversation usually goes like this... "would you like me to take my shoes off?"  "yes please, would you like some socks or slippers?" or "would you mind removing your shoes?" "no problem"  "Would you like some socks or slippers?"  ( if the say yes they mind)  it's dropped and that is it.  That has happened maybe once.

• I NEVER take my shoes off unless someone specifically asks me to (which I find awfully rude), or it is apparent that they don't want me to (i.e. they don't have shoes on/ no one else has shoes on). If someone insisted on be wearing weird booties or some shit (or even implied that I should, by having them at the door) I would not be visiting again, and would take my leave ASAP.
  • I always forget that Americans wear shoes in the house. It's totally bizarre to me.

No one ever does it here. Maybe that's partly a symptom of the outdoors being wet/snowy/muddy for so much of the year, but I don't think I've ever been to anyone's house ever and kept my shoes on. One of those weird cultural differences that you'd probably not expect.

It's only practical here, though, because tramping through a cocktail party in your snowy Sorels is not cool.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • For those who think that shoes walk all over nastiness, do you have dogs?  Do you make your dogs wear socks inside the house?  Because if not, your dogs paws walk through all sorts of "nastiness" and they can't easily slip their paws off when they come in the house.

And I really wanted to find a meme or gif of that scene from Sex and the City where Carrie goes to a baby shower and she is asked to take her shoes off and she is all "but this is an outfit."  But I couldn't find one :(

Haha I love that scene too... But no I don't have pets at all unless you count a fish. I am highly allergic. 

• For those who think that shoes walk all over nastiness, do you have dogs?  Do you make your dogs wear socks inside the house?  Because if not, your dogs paws walk through all sorts of "nastiness" and they can't easily slip their paws off when they come in the house.

And I really wanted to find a meme or gif of that scene from Sex and the City where Carrie goes to a baby shower and she is asked to take her shoes off and she is all "but this is an outfit."  But I couldn't find one :(
    Yes I have a dog, and yes I wipe her feet off every time she comes inside, I won't get a doggie door for this reason. I guess I just don't understand how some people preferring to not have shoes in the house us such a big issue to so many. I have lived my entire life like this and never had an issue. When I am a guest in someone's house I expect to be respectful to their wishes and wouldn't see something they were asking of me as such a big deal.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I, personally, find bare, possibly stinky, possibly fungus-having ass feet FAR more disgusting than "outside nastiness" or whatever the fuck we are talking about. Keep you fucking shoes ON in my house, for the love of god.

Yes I have a dog, and yes I wipe her feet off every time she comes inside
    , I won't get a doggie door for this reason. I guess I just don't understand how some people preferring to not have shoes in the house us such a big issue to so many. I have lived my entire life like this and never had an issue. When I am a guest in someone's house I expect to be respectful to their wishes and wouldn't see something they were asking of me as such a big deal.
    Okay, and people generally wipe their shoes off when they enter a house, sooooo... what is the difference?

Yup.

Yes I have a dog, and yes I wipe her feet off every time she comes inside
    , I won't get a doggie door for this reason. I guess I just don't understand how some people preferring to not have shoes in the house us such a big issue to so many. I have lived my entire life like this and never had an issue. When I am a guest in someone's house I expect to be respectful to their wishes and wouldn't see something they were asking of me as such a big deal.
    Okay, and people generally wipe their shoes off when they enter a house, sooooo... what is the difference?

Just a personal preference. Might have been being raised in a house with no shoes but it is what FI and I prefer and will continue to ask people to take their shoes off in our house and we will always do that as well. I guess my question is, what is the huge aversion to taking your shoes off in a house? Do you wear shoes in your house? Do you think the floor is too dirty to walk on in other people's house? I'm actually very curious about this because to me it feels weird to not take them off as soon as I walk into a house, in my mind they are for protecting my feet outside, I don't need that on a nice surface inside. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah in most cases I'd rather have wiped-off shoes than nasty feet. Ick. The only reason I personally prefer no shoes in the house is the soles wear the carpet out quicker. Has nothing to do with dirt or germs.

I looked and this is all I could find:
    Not what you're looking for, but amazing. 

No, we don't have a dog. And I'm a "shoes off" in the house kind of person. Would I ask that people wear booties? No. And would I say, "ah ah ah! leave your shoes at the door, please" if someone left their shoes on? No.

But I would find it rude if someone came over and didn't ask. Like just came in with dirty shoes and started walking around when there's obviously shoes lined up on a mat right next to the front door.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards