Chit Chat

Spinoff: Dress code violations

Instead of continuing on OwningAHome's thread....

What are ridiculous dress code violations you see at work? My faves from my business casual office are:

- black velour pants ("but they're black dress pants")
- jammy jeans
- spandex leggings as pants
- old navy flip flops
- jeans with on-purpose rips in them ("but they're fashionable")
- see through shirts w/o out anything except a bra under them
*********************************************************************************

Re: Spinoff: Dress code violations

• I violated the flip flop thing at work for a week once, I had a planters wart removed from the bottom of my feel and the pain of putting shoes on was not going to happen.. My supervisor also has another one she personally adds to this, if you are going to wear open toed shoes make sure the nails/feet are presentable.. A guy asked one time if they could wear open toed shoes in the office and her response was "Yep, get a pedi first".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just commented on the other thread, but my office is pretty casual. We can wear jeans any day of the week, unless you're meeting with a customer of course. 

Things that aren't really recommended: tank tops, sandals, t-shirts, etc. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I work in banking so there aren't a lot of violations. People wore flips flops until one of the RM's sent a memo stating flip flops are not proper work shoes.

• My company doesn't have a dress code, it is just basically known that dress is business casual.  I typically wear jeans every day, but they are dark wash jeans which I pair with jeans and a nice top/blazer.  Then again if I had to go to meetings with clients then I would wear slacks/suits.  But since I sit in a cube all day only to get up to pee, jeans are more then acceptable.

As for others in my building, I unfortunately have not seen anything where I thought "WTF are you wearing?!"

But I have heard stories of some employees being pulled into their managers office to discuss personal hygiene in regards to body odor and teeth cleaning.

• My job now is much more conservative than my last job and we don't really have any offenders. Everyone knows how to dress appropriate. We're split between two buildings and all of the floors but one are business casual (more business than casual). The other floor is strict business attire at all times.

My old job was a riot though. That place was business casual but leaned heavily on the casual. Leggings, tank tops with no cardigans or blazers, zip up hoodies - you name, people got away with it. Granted, we RARELY had clients that came into our office at that place but I still believe that you need to dress appropriately (ie - business casual if that's the dress code) for your job. If your job is tshirts and jeans, go ahead! But this was not and people pretty much didn't care.

• My old assistant used to wear some pretty bad things. I'm talking moo-moo's. Dress code violation was just one of the many reasons I had to let her go. Now things are very normal on the clothing front.

At my last office, there was a girl who would frequently show up in bandage dresses and 6 inch heels. She was an assistant to another financial advisor. I have no idea how she got away with it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My job now is much more conservative than my last job and we don't really have any offenders. Everyone knows how to dress appropriate. We're split between two buildings and all of the floors but one are business casual (more business than casual). The other floor is strict business attire at all times.

My old job was a riot though. That place was business casual but leaned heavily on the casual. Leggings, tank tops with no cardigans or blazers, zip up hoodies - you name, people got away with it. Granted, we RARELY had clients that came into our office at that place but I still believe that you need to dress appropriately (ie - business casual if that's the dress code) for your job. If your job is tshirts and jeans, go ahead! But this was not and people pretty much didn't care.

That reminds me, there was a girl who worked here (past tense) and she used to wear leggings as pants. She also wore a lot of really short dresses that was more appropriate for a club than an office.
  • I work at a group home but we aren't supposed to wear scrubs, reasoning being wanting to make the clients feel like they're at home, not in an institution. 

Sometimes I still wear scrub pants. They're comfy and convenient, darn it! I don't wear the scrub top with though so I don't think it's all that obvious. 

When I worked with horses I had a boss that would lose his shit if I tucked my jeans into my boots, saying I looked idiotic. Well, I'd also look idiotic if my jeans were soaked from bathing horses, so...

Anyway from here on out dress code will be scrubs, so that makes things easy. Our school used to require white scrubs, until someone had a little incident in Labor & Delivery that made them red scrubs. 
  • I work in a dental office . . . so anyone not wearing scrubs and sneakers would be breaking the dress code (aside from the front desk . . ). But no one wants to wear anything other than scrubs and sneakers. So we're pretty good.

Our front desk girls are business casual and the only violation was one girls last day - she wore jeans - I personally think in hopes of getting sent home for the day - and the manager ended keeping her to 'help out' an extra half hour instead. 
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Ugh I HATEHATEHATE seeing people wearing leggings as pants to work. It's bad enough on teenagers at the mall, this is an OFFICE. I don't want to see your middle-aged spandex-clad beef curtains on full display.

One of my coworkers was sent home once for wearing a white linen skirt and black thong without a slip. 
    Like. People who aren't teens do this? I feel like that's the kind of mistake young people who are learning how to dress make. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I WFH now so the dress code is what I want it to be.

At previous job, I'd see flip flops all the time and I hated it.   Ditto for the sheer shirts or old ratty t shirts with rips on men.

• littlepep said:

Ugh I HATEHATEHATE seeing people wearing leggings as pants to work. It's bad enough on teenagers at the mall, this is an OFFICE. I don't want to see your middle-aged spandex-clad beef curtains on full display.

One of my coworkers was sent home once for wearing a white linen skirt and black thong without a slip. 
    Like. People who aren't teens do this? I feel like that's the kind of mistake young people who are learning how to dress make. 
    Seriously. And this girl was in her mid-20s, she should have known better. She was flabbergasted and didn't know how on earth she could have prevented it. And this skirt was SHEER, like see-freckles-on-your-butt sheer. 

• The new guy in my department thought that "casual dress" meant really casual and didn't bother read the employee handbook. He wore printed t-shirts and sneakers every day for a few weeks until our manager finally said something about it to him. I guess my two big issues with this are 1) Don't you want to make a good impression the first few weeks on a new job? and 2) If you look around and see that no one else is dressed that way, why would you continue to dress that way?

There's also a young woman (I'm guessing she's around my age, 26 or so) who doesn't violate the written dress code but wears some pretty side-eye worthy stuff. Yesterday she was wearing a white shirt with a bright colored bra underneath that you could see from across the room. A few weeks ago it was a crochet top with nothing but a bra underneath, and another day she wore very sheer pants that clearly showed her underwear and her butt. If I saw someone wearing that stuff outside work I probably wouldn't think anything of it, but the culture of our office is very conservative. Knowing her manager I'm really surprised she hasn't been talked to about it yet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Our dress code clearly states nothing made of of jean material (pants or tops) can be worn, regardless of color. BSC woman on my team keeps wearing a jean 'blouse'. She's not fooling anyone.

This is the closest image I can find:

• littlepep said:

Ugh I HATEHATEHATE seeing people wearing leggings as pants to work. It's bad enough on teenagers at the mall, this is an OFFICE. I don't want to see your middle-aged spandex-clad beef curtains on full display.

Seriously. And this girl was in her mid-20s, she should have known better. She was flabbergasted and didn't know how on earth she could have prevented it. And this skirt was SHEER, like see-freckles-on-your-butt sheer. 
    Definitely worked in an office where people did this. But it was a "good old boys in charge" kind of company with the owners 35 year old sons and all their high school buddies in charge, so these types of violations never got addressed.

But someone who has that poor of judgement... It's like, if you can't see why that's not appropriate, what else do you think is professionally ok? 
    *********************************************************************************

• littlepep said:

Sorrynotsorry, guys. I definitely wear leggings as pants (but not to work). 

I wear leggings all the time outside of work but never TO work. I make sure my shirt is long enough to cover my butt and don't give it a second thought.
  • I have a pair of leggings that are of a thicker material (link) that I've worn to work on several occasions with a long tunic-style button down shirt and a blazer.  

• There's no dress code in my industry, I wear jeans, a tshirt, and sneakers or flip flops every day. I've seen people come to work in pajama pants. Most days our office looks like a college class. 

I see plenty of stuff I side-eye, but mostly it's just bad taste and not actual violation-worthy. 
  • cupcait927cupcait927 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    @holyguacamole79 those are cute but I feel like would be getting too close to the inappropriate line at my office. Like, I could maybe wear them and no one would say anything, but I'd be getting side-eye all day.
  • @holyguacamole79 those are cute but I feel like would be getting too close to the inappropriate line at my office. Like, I could maybe wear them and no one would say anything, but I'd be getting side-eye all day.

Ditto at my office. Sure, they technically don't break any rules, but senior management (who does the raises and promotions) notices stuff like that.

• @cupcait927, this was at a client's office where shorts are acceptable during the summer, so I felt pretty confident.  Now that I think about it, I was the only one not in jeans that day.  
  • @holyguacamole79 those are cute but I feel like would be getting too close to the inappropriate line at my office. Like, I could maybe wear them and no one would say anything, but I'd be getting side-eye all day.

Ditto at my office. Sure, they technically don't break any rules, but senior management (who does the raises and promotions) notices stuff like that.
    Agreed. I generally feel like anything that tight doesn't belong in the office. (Unless they're worn as tights under a sweater dress or something longer than that model is wearing.)

• My current job (for the next five days, anyways) pretty must doesn't have a dress code. My coworkers have worn track suits before, which I think is a little too casual, and shorts. I did get told my hair color wasn't appropriate once though (it was purple and blonde). I've never heard of anyone getting reprimanded for what's worn at our office. I mean, our HR guy wears sketches shape ups with sweat pants, a button up shirt and a tie with velour suit jacket so.....

Agreed. I generally feel like anything that tight doesn't belong in the office. (Unless they're worn as tights under a sweater dress or something longer than that model is wearing.)
    Oh the shirt comes down to mid-thigh.  I would definitely not wear something like what that model was.  The leggings are of a thicker material, too, so they don't look as legging-y.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards