Chit Chat
Options

Odd family traditions

Re: Odd family traditions

• Options
    JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015

I mean... my mom still sets out our Christmas presents like Santa came. She even did FI's that way this year.

Oh we totally do presents from Santa! DH got a gift from "Santa" last year too. I think it's cute. He thinks it's kinda weird, but he knows I like it. I take after my mom and always make up some crazy excuse: "Oh, Santa came by, you just missed him! He said that he was on his way to visit his aunt for lunch and we were on his way so he dropped this by and told me to give it to you!" DH is just like "uh, we are the only ones that live here and you were the only one home. I know it's from you." "Nope, it's from SANTA!"
  • Options

I mean... my mom still sets out our Christmas presents like Santa came. She even did FI's that way this year.

Oh we totally do presents from Santa! DH got a gift from "Santa" last year too. I think it's cute. He thinks it's kinda weird, but he knows I like it. I take after my mom and always make up some crazy excuse: "Oh, Santa came by, you just missed him! He said that he was on his way to visit his aunt for lunch and we were on his way so he dropped this by and told me to give it to you!" DH is just like "uh, we are the only ones that live here and you were the only one home. I know it's from you." "Nope, it's from SANTA!"
    I did this for Easter. I had to pull my sister in on it to get everyone out of the living room, and then I snuck out the front door and put out Easter baskets and some plastic eggs and rang the doorbell. And then had to go outside and be like omg the doorbell just rang who could it beeeeeee?!

They all looked at me like I'd sprouted a new head.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    kmmssg said:

I mean... my mom still sets out our Christmas presents like Santa came. She even did FI's that way this year. And for a while there my uncle made mimosas for everyone Christmas morning. And... 5 of the last 6 years, we've traveled the week after Christmas, and that one year we traveled the week before. I'm looking forward to this Christmas; it'll be our first married Christmas, and we're going to do something chill instead of traveling, unless it's traveling to FILs.

I would not be buying Mother's Day presents for 7 people. Not a chance.
    FI's mom is like this too except generally she's drunk. Christmas eve is always at her house with her side of the family, by the time everyone is done with dinner the drinks flow freely, sometimes we end up at the little bar in town, and then she puts out the gifts once everyone has passed out. Opening gifts is usually accompanied by a massive hangover, and this year she over bought for stockings and had to bring out a garbage sack with the rest of the stuff in it for each of us. It is totally overwhelming to me, we always did a stocking and one "bigger" gift in my family, in his it's a tower of gifts even though there are four siblings and they are all married/engaged/have a baby mama.
    WHAT in the ever-loving Hell are you girls talking about?  What do you MEAN, "my mom still sets out our Christmas presents like Santa came"?  ARE YOU MAD!!!!!  Santa comes every year to our house and has ALWAYS put the gifts out while we are sleeping.  It almost sounds like you girls don't believe in him!  I'm here to tell you, my 34 yo DD believes in Santa!!  Of course, if she didn't, I'm sure her big Santa gift she gets every year would disappear because that is what happens when you don't believe!

I'm not sure what you girls are thinking, but there are only 233 days til Christmas and you don't want Santa hearing you talk like that!  You two better sit in time out and just think about that!

My mistake! The drunken stumbling around the house must be Santa after drinking something spiked that someone put out!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I mean... my mom still sets out our Christmas presents like Santa came. She even did FI's that way this year. And for a while there my uncle made mimosas for everyone Christmas morning. And... 5 of the last 6 years, we've traveled the week after Christmas, and that one year we traveled the week before. I'm looking forward to this Christmas; it'll be our first married Christmas, and we're going to do something chill instead of traveling, unless it's traveling to FILs.

FI's mom is like this too except generally she's drunk. Christmas eve is always at her house with her side of the family, by the time everyone is done with dinner the drinks flow freely, sometimes we end up at the little bar in town, and then she puts out the gifts once everyone has passed out. Opening gifts is usually accompanied by a massive hangover, and this year she over bought for stockings and had to bring out a garbage sack with the rest of the stuff in it for each of us. It is totally overwhelming to me, we always did a stocking and one "bigger" gift in my family, in his it's a tower of gifts even though there are four siblings and they are all married/engaged/have a baby mama.
    WHAT in the ever-loving Hell are you girls talking about?  What do you MEAN, "my mom still sets out our Christmas presents like Santa came"?  ARE YOU MAD!!!!!  Santa comes every year to our house and has ALWAYS put the gifts out while we are sleeping.  It almost sounds like you girls don't believe in him!  I'm here to tell you, my 34 yo DD believes in Santa!!  Of course, if she didn't, I'm sure her big Santa gift she gets every year would disappear because that is what happens when you don't believe!

I'm not sure what you girls are thinking, but there are only 233 days til Christmas and you don't want Santa hearing you talk like that!  You two better sit in time out and just think about that!

My mistake! The drunken stumbling around the house must be Santa after drinking something spiked that someone put out!

This reminded me - we used to leave milk and cookies for Santa, and beer and carrots for the reindeer. I thought it was normal to leave beer for the reindeer until I was older. Though I am pretty sure I have heard of other people doing this too. Maybe Santa was drinking the reindeer's beer...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

This reminded me - we used to leave milk and cookies for Santa, and beer and carrots for the reindeer. I thought it was normal to leave beer for the reindeer until I was older. Though I am pretty sure I have heard of other people doing this too. Maybe Santa was drinking the reindeer's beer...

Santa liked Bailey's in coffee at my house. Plus 6 cookies. Carrots for the reindeer, which they'd always nibble the ends of.

• Options
    We always left Santa these:

• Options
    We do not have traditions.    Too far away from each other. 

For a few years we did seem to have a tradition of having a large xmas eve dinner.  Drank whiskey sours and then go to midnight mass.   Yep, I've had a pretty good buzz going on for many of midnight masses.  That last about 4 years.  Then we moved away, some started having babies.    

All the good ole days.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

SITB
    Well Santa can't drink the beer because he is driving!
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    We play roll tennis (or baseball) at family gatherings with my immediate family. This is taking heat n serve rolls from a previous holiday that my mom has kept in a ziplock bag and hitting them back and forth in the yard.

It started when we were young (middle school maybe) and my mom tried making her MIL yeast roll recipe. The rolls became hard after being baked and thus inedible. My brother and I snuck a few and decided to hit them with rackets. Mom was not impressed. Some years later she kept some leftover rolls and we played again. I'm fairly certain it is her favorite family tradition even though it came from a cooking mistake!
  • Options
    kmmssg said:

Oh no! You're so right. I can't believe I made that mistake. I'll go find a good corner. :(
  • Options
    kmmssg said:

Santa doesn't come to our house, but he swings by my parents' home every year and drops off something for us. I think he's afraid of my tabby cat smelling treats in his pockets and clawing his pants off to get them (she's a treat whore like that), hence leaving things for us at the cat free house.

I used to leave homemade cookies out. Mom would always fix a drink for Santa, normally a snifter of cognac, plus some water "for the reindeer" and some aspirin. Santa always liked his offerings, hahaha!
  • Options
    All I want for Mother's Day is a telephone call from my kids!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

My mom also gives us gifts from the cats.

We always give each other presents from our pets. Plus we give each other's pets presents from our pets. Like I'll give my sister's cat a present from my cats.
  • Options

kmmssg said:

Oh no! You're so right. I can't believe I made that mistake. I'll go find a good corner. :(
    Also, to the bolded - WHAT?! How. Christmas feels like it was, like, last week maybe.
  • Options

That's super weird, about buying gifts for ALL the mothers. No, if you're not MY mother (or my parent's mother) you're not getting a gift from me. I'll wish you a Happy Mother's Day, but that's it.

We had a lot of Christmas traditions I've talked about before, but they've mostly faded out now that we're all grown/moved out/have our own families. I'm loving the new Brunchgiving tradition I got going a few years ago... whichever side of the family we don't see on Thanksgiving comes over for brunch the Saturday after. Don't have to eat another big dinner or drive all over the place on Thanksgiving, and it's early enough to keep your evening free if you have to travel home.

Lots of birthdays often get combined... we have a lot on April so we do a big Easter/April birthdays deal that's nearly as big as Christmas. And then there are a few in June that get celebrated with Father's Day.
    I'm the gift-buyer in our relationship (DH sucks at it and I think it's kind of fun). Our first Mother's Day together, I bought stuff for our moms and my gramma and he seemed surprised that there was nothing else. When we showed up without gifts for everyone else, I got pulled aside and was given a little talk about it by two of the brothers.

Ironically, they all talk about how I'm the closest thing The Kid has to an active mom yet I don't qualify for gifts. But they're all kind enough to give me shit regularly about how I haven't gotten pregnant yet.(sarcasm... it feels incredibly shitty to be reminded that you're not a mom when struggling at it...)
    Oh hell no! My stepmom gets a Mother's day gift every year! I'm closer to her than my mom. Even though my dad's gone and she's remarried, we are still very close.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

That's super weird, about buying gifts for ALL the mothers. No, if you're not MY mother (or my parent's mother) you're not getting a gift from me. I'll wish you a Happy Mother's Day, but that's it.

We had a lot of Christmas traditions I've talked about before, but they've mostly faded out now that we're all grown/moved out/have our own families. I'm loving the new Brunchgiving tradition I got going a few years ago... whichever side of the family we don't see on Thanksgiving comes over for brunch the Saturday after. Don't have to eat another big dinner or drive all over the place on Thanksgiving, and it's early enough to keep your evening free if you have to travel home.

Lots of birthdays often get combined... we have a lot on April so we do a big Easter/April birthdays deal that's nearly as big as Christmas. And then there are a few in June that get celebrated with Father's Day.
    I'm the gift-buyer in our relationship (DH sucks at it and I think it's kind of fun). Our first Mother's Day together, I bought stuff for our moms and my gramma and he seemed surprised that there was nothing else. When we showed up without gifts for everyone else, I got pulled aside and was given a little talk about it by two of the brothers.

Ironically, they all talk about how I'm the closest thing The Kid has to an active mom yet I don't qualify for gifts. But they're all kind enough to give me shit regularly about how I haven't gotten pregnant yet.(sarcasm... it feels incredibly shitty to be reminded that you're not a mom when struggling at it...)

It is so weird that YOU got pulled aside and talked to about it.  I mean DH had to have known that was the tradition?? 

I bought my brother a father's day gift his first one and he acted really weird about it, like why are you getting me something I'm not your dad.  Was just trying to be nice.  He might have gotten a card the next year but that's about it.

• Options

Some of these are really funny and cute! Some of them (wanda's inlaws) are frightening.

We could pick our favorite food for our birthday dinner. My brother always chose lasagna, and I always choose chocolate pudding pie with oreo crust hahahaha. Also my grandparents would take us each birthday to Toys R Us and let us spend (up to) $50 on a toy, then dinner anywhere we chose. My brother would pick his toy instantly and then go to a normal restaurant like Applebees. I would spend HOURS agonizing over which Barbie or which crayon set. Then I'd make them eat at KFC. lol

• Options

Is getting really drunk on red wine and playing hearts until someone gets pissed and quits an odd tradition? Because that's what we do with FI's family.

This sounds like my family. But substitute wine with gin & tonics, and hearts with poker.
  • Options

My mom also gives us gifts from the cats.

My mom gets all her grandcats Christmas gifts. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I don't think my family traditions are weird, they're just family traditions. 

All the women in our family were taught to "cross" the bottom of a loaf of bread before slicing it. This has been passed down from many generations. 

We always end a meal on a sweet note. Even if no dessert is made, there is at least a bar of chocolate to split. 

We make breakfast in bed for each other on birthdays. 

We ALWAYS call each other on birthdays and sing, not just say, happy birthday. 
  • Options

My brother & sister and I would usually pile into one bed for Christmas Eve, or camp out on the living room floor.  There were a few years there when we would also go through the dress up box and do a 'fashion show' for Mom & Dad.  The last time we did that, I was already living out of the house. 

We didn't ever do Santa, but my cousins all did, so we learned at a very early age to smile and nod when they talked about their presents from Santa.  I don't remember ever hearing what the explanation was for why they got presents from Santa and we didn't... huh. 

Mom was more excited about stockings than she was about regular presents.  We would open the presents among the five of us on Christmas Eve, but we would open stockings Christmas morning before we headed to Dad's parents' house.

I shared a birthday with my cousin's great-uncle, so we would always have a race to call the other and say happy birthday first.  He died when I was in my teens, and I still miss that.

Also, my dad's the Easter Bunny.  True story.  We had made plans with our best family friends to go to their house for lunch after church on Easter Sunday (we went to different churches), and apparently in order to get them out of the house, their dad had to say that they needed to hurry, because the Easter Bunny was coming and would be there when they got back from church.  Well, we beat them to the house, so they pulled up and the youngest girl saw Dad standing in the front door and decided he was the Easter Bunny. 

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    We do the pet present thing too. 

On one road trip, H and I were listening to the moth (I think?) and people were telling stories about Christmas traditions. One guy was really into Christmas and would throw horse crap on top of the roof and tell the kids it was Santa's reindeer. Totally sounds like something we would do. There were some other good ones but I can't remember them. 
  • Options
    mklammklam member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2015
    Not really odd, but different I guess. My family is filled with Deaf and Hard of Hearing people, so for birthdays we all send text messages with the happy birthday song. I'm HOH so phone calls don't work out very well for me normally.

I love getting texts and emails from all of the family with the song. Each member writes it a bit different. My mom repeats letters to hold a note, but sister has the music emoji everywhere, but grandma has an e-card that times is correctly, my uncle does a video in ASL, etc...

ETA: My mom buys gifts for my cats on their adoption days and christmas haha
  • Options
    anjemonanjemon member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    FiancB said:

On one road trip, H and I were listening to the moth (I think?) and people were telling stories about Christmas traditions. One guy was really into Christmas and would throw horse crap on top of the roof and tell the kids it was Santa's reindeer. Totally sounds like something we would do. There were some other good ones but I can't remember them. 
    My Dad did this one year. My littlest sister was in elementary and she brought "Reindeer Food" home from school. It was glitter and something... maybe nuts or seeds? They were suppose to sprinkle it in the front yard for Santa's Reindeer. So she and Dad did. And then Dad went to our pastor's house (he owned horses) and got horse poop and put it in the front yard. When we woke up the next morning my sister was amazed. I was a big too old to be fooled. Now I really appreciate my Dad because handling all that poop had to suck.

We always did Christmas Eve at my Mom's parents house. We had dinner and opened presents. Before we could start opening presents we would make one or two kids read the Christmas Story out of the big Bible. Then we sang a few Christmas carols. And then we could open presents. We don't really do this now, but I really love looking back on it.

My Mom always did the presents for the dog and from Santa too. I think last year she even did presents from Santa for all the Sons in Law and then-FI. But I can't wait until this year when my niece will be old enough to really love Christmas.

The other strange tradition we have is that my Dad celebrates his birthday about 5 months later than his actual birth day. He's a December baby and didn't like it, so as long as I can remember we've been celebrating in May instead. 
  • Options
    anjemon said:

FiancB said:

My Dad did this one year. My littlest sister was in elementary and she brought "Reindeer Food" home from school. It was glitter and something... maybe nuts or seeds? They were suppose to sprinkle it in the front yard for Santa's Reindeer. So she and Dad did. And then Dad went to our pastor's house (he owned horses) and got horse poop and put it in the front yard. When we woke up the next morning my sister was amazed. I was a big too old to be fooled. Now I really appreciate my Dad because handling all that poop had to suck.

We always did Christmas Eve at my Mom's parents house. We had dinner and opened presents. Before we could start opening presents we would make one or two kids read the Christmas Story out of the big Bible. Then we sang a few Christmas carols. And then we could open presents. We don't really do this now, but I really love looking back on it.

My Mom always did the presents for the dog and from Santa too. I think last year she even did presents from Santa for all the Sons in Law and then-FI. But I can't wait until this year when my niece will be old enough to really love Christmas.

The other strange tradition we have is that my Dad celebrates his birthday about 5 months later than his actual birth day. He's a December baby and didn't like it, so as long as I can remember we've been celebrating in May instead. 
    That's so cool. I remember one year we had a footprint in the soot of the fireplace. Totally blew our minds!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Lived nearly my entire childhood in FL, so no snow, thus no reindeer prints to hunt for.

Older niece acted the part of the jerk and told younger niece santa wasn't real a few years ago. (currently 10 and 8.5). Younger niece punched older niece in the nose, declared Santa was real, and Older niece was a big meanie. Oh, and that older niece wouldn't get anything from Santa that year for saying such things.

Younger niece was right. Older niece now professes a belief in Santa. :-D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards