Chit Chat

What's your favorite crafty hobby?

Re: What's your favorite crafty hobby?

• MagicInk said:

MagicInk said:

sarahufl I was holding the  yarn too tightly and gave myself trigger finger in my left hand and it's still not healed correctly.  I'm a disaster.

I always hold my yarn too loosley, the next time someone says something about I'm gonna tell them my internet friend hurt herself holding it too tightly. I am being SAFE.
    The struggle is real, my middle finger is all wonky every morning when I wake up and hurts like hell!
    Damn girl, you really were holding on tightly. 
    This was immediately post breakup when I just learned to crochet and made an entire afghan in like 2 weeks.  My hand has been messed up ever since
    I'm impressed by the 2 week time frame for the afghan. Though I usually start a project, put it down, start another, put it down, start another, and by the end have 53 different half finished projects. 

I am going to start crocheting a baby blankets for Fufu. It might be done by the time s/he starts kindergarten. 
  • MagicInk said:

MagicInk said:

MagicInk said:

sarahufl I was holding the  yarn too tightly and gave myself trigger finger in my left hand and it's still not healed correctly.  I'm a disaster.

I always hold my yarn too loosley, the next time someone says something about I'm gonna tell them my internet friend hurt herself holding it too tightly. I am being SAFE.
    The struggle is real, my middle finger is all wonky every morning when I wake up and hurts like hell!
    Damn girl, you really were holding on tightly. 
    This was immediately post breakup when I just learned to crochet and made an entire afghan in like 2 weeks.  My hand has been messed up ever since
    I'm impressed by the 2 week time frame for the afghan. Though I usually start a project, put it down, start another, put it down, start another, and by the end have 53 different half finished projects. 

I am going to start crocheting a baby blankets for Fufu. It might be done by the time s/he starts kindergarten. 
    Well if you do what I did and literally just drink wine and crochet non stop, it goes by pretty quick haha

• I've decided that I wanted to fill my vases with paper flowers, and I really want to paint some abstract (read: easy) art for the house. That's about it. I'm not very crafty.
  • I crochet like a mofo.  Every baby in my life gets an afghan, and I'm working on ones for recently married couples (they were all MEANT to be wedding presents, but I get distracted easily).  It tends to be a cold weather project for me, though, so now that it's summer I'm not doing it as much.

If I have a specific project in mind, I'll do a painting for it.  For our wedding, I gave J two pieces of wall art - one was our vows, and the other was a list of police-based comparisons (you're the red to my blue, the Kevlar in my vest, the key to my handcuffs, etc).

I used to scrapbook and cross-stitch.  I still have some scrapbooking stuff, but it was taking over my life (and my house), so now it's relegated to a corner of a closet.  I think I have a couple of cross-stitch patterns around that I'd like to get to sometime... but it's gardening season right now, so who knows.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Is cooking a crafty hobby?  If so, cooking is my favorite.  Second runner up is repainting antique furniture. It always feels so good to take something old and to make it new and fresh, again.
  • arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015

I go in spurts of craftiness, and they are never useful crafting. I usually do it to keep me occupied while FI is out of town for work. I painted geeky canvas shoes, I did a star wars pair and a doctor who pair. Haven't done that in a long time. Currently while FI is away I like to sew Mr.Bear little clothes. FI got him for me 'to keep me company' while he is away, so it's kind of a fun little thing to do to keep my mind off him being away. And he's always excited to come home after 5 days and see what new outfit Mr. Bear is wearing. haha. I am such a dork. And yes, Mr. Bear is an Ewok. (Or at least I thought he looked like one so i made him a hood).

imageimage

How do I order a pair of R2-D2 shoes?

I have no crafty skills to speak of.

• I love all things crafty. This weekend I made earrings out of guitar picks. I have half of a rabbit's ass that I started crocheting before I lost my place and got frustrated. I made a cat and two owls this winter as well. Maybe three owls. I can't remember.

I also painted FI a TARDIS for the first birthday we were together for. It was made out of an 18" box and painted entirely with spray paint and it looked pretty damn good considering. I love spray paint.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I just finished stitching a tardis for my friend for her Who-themed nursery. There may or may not be 15 other Who-related pieces matted and framed sitting in my craft room.

Aaaaaaaand now I know what's next on my "time to start a new project" list. 
  • I just finished stitching a tardis for my friend for her Who-themed nursery. There may or may not be 15 other Who-related pieces matted and framed sitting in my craft room.

I have image files and Excel stitch maps if you want them......... lol
    ~*~*~*~*~

I need a new project right now like I need an extra hole in my head. So.... not yet. Hahah. But it's absolutely beautiful and I will probably hit you up after the summer is over, when I've pulled the plants out of the ground and got wedding invites out haha. :D

I need a new project right now like I need an extra hole in my head. So.... not yet. Hahah. But it's absolutely beautiful and I will probably hit you up after the summer is over, when I've pulled the plants out of the ground and got wedding invites out haha. :D
    I always say I don't need any new projects, but I always end up with 5 or 10 going at the same time. I was doing DIY paper stuff for my friends wedding AND stitching a birth record for a pregnant friend while finishing up the DIY on my own wedding last summer. Clearly, I have issues.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• mklam said:

I crochet baby blankets and throws. If anyone wants one, I have like, 5 just chilling in my closet waiting haha!

@mklam- I'm jealous! Every time I try one, it's a disaster. I'm working on one for my friend who's due in a week and it's such a disaster I had to give up.

I love to cook. Not sure if that counts.

I've always wanted to sew and was recently gifted a sewing machine. I'm so excited to use it.... but can't figure out how to thread it. I'm signing up for a class at JoAnn as soon as I can find an open slot that isn't while I'm at work.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I like to make homemade cards, but buying all of the materials is expensive. I recently subscribed to this: https://mypaperpumpkin.com/en/. They send you a box every month that has everything in it you need to make the card/favor/whatever. It's pretty cool!

That sounds a lot like Darby Smart. I signed up for that for a while but didn't love it. I got 4 boxes and didn't get very excited about any of them. Which stunk because some of the older projects looked pretty cool.
  • Serious question. How easy is cross-stiching? Cause I've been coveting this for awhile, but don't want to bother my other crafty handy friends

Anniversary
  • I like to make homemade cards, but buying all of the materials is expensive. I recently subscribed to this: https://mypaperpumpkin.com/en/. They send you a box every month that has everything in it you need to make the card/favor/whatever. It's pretty cool!

That sounds a lot like Darby Smart. I signed up for that for a while but didn't love it. I got 4 boxes and didn't get very excited about any of them. Which stunk because some of the older projects looked pretty cool.
    Yeah I've only gotten 2 or 3 boxes so far, but I do feel like it's kind of a toss-up. With pp, you can cancel for a month if you don't want to receive it for that month, but I wish there was some way to view what the box will be. I don't want to cancel if the box is going to be something I really like!

I always say I don't need any new projects, but I always end up with 5 or 10 going at the same time. I was doing DIY paper stuff for my friends wedding AND stitching a birth record for a pregnant friend while finishing up the DIY on my own wedding last summer. Clearly, I have issues.
    See I'm usually like that, but I'm enforcing my "garden- and wedding-related projects only" rule until September just because if I get overwhelmed and then something doesn't go right, I'll quit all of them. 
  • edited May 2015
    chibiyui said:

Serious question. How easy is cross-stiching? Cause I've been coveting this for awhile, but don't want to bother my other crafty handy friends

DOUBLE POST I'M SORRY 

It's actually not difficult. It's a little tedious, and it can get to where your eyes hurt, and sometimes I want to punch the fabric because it thinks my hands are way more gross and disgusting than I do. But it's fun to watch the white thing become lovely and colorful.

ETA That doesn't look particularly difficult. I mean, it's not simple, so I don't know that I'd jump in head first with that myself, but I think you could easily do it as a beginner/novice.
  • Cookie PusherCookie Pusher member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    chibiyui said:

Serious question. How easy is cross-stiching? Cause I've been coveting this for awhile, but don't want to bother my other crafty handy friends

Like with most handmade things, patience is necessary. Cross-stitching is not hard, per se, but it's repetitive and you don't see results until you're pretty much done with the project. And it's easy to mess up if you count wrong, which I do more often than I should. I would say the piece you posted is going to be frustrating for a beginner because of the detail, the colors, the size, and the abundance of white space (which often leads to miscounting stitches). Not impossible, but it could potentially cause yelling, swearing, and throwing of craft supplies across the room. 

If you really want to pick up the hobby, most craft stores have small, simple kits that are inexpensive so you can get a feel for comfortable positions to hold the fabric, get used to the motion of stitching, and get used to reading a stitch chart/map.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• anjemonanjemon member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper

I just finished stitching a tardis for my friend for her Who-themed nursery. There may or may not be 15 other Who-related pieces matted and framed sitting in my craft room.

I think I would really love that! I haven't done much cross stitching lately, but I think that one would be really fun. And I have friends who would love it.

I'm a knitter/crocheter mostly. I've got a few project going right now actually. I have a baby blanket I'm making for my sister's 2nd child, who is now almost 2 months old. At least I'm almost halfway done. And an afghan I was making just because I thought it was pretty. I should really restart some of these now that I have more free time.

If we're talking fun projects I'd like to do, I really want to figure out how to actually cross stitch this:
  • mklammklam member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    mklam said:

I crochet baby blankets and throws. If anyone wants one, I have like, 5 just chilling in my closet waiting haha!

@mklam- I'm jealous! Every time I try one, it's a disaster. I'm working on one for my friend who's due in a week and it's such a disaster I had to give up.

I love to cook. Not sure if that counts.

I've always wanted to sew and was recently gifted a sewing machine. I'm so excited to use it.... but can't figure out how to thread it. I'm signing up for a class at JoAnn as soon as I can find an open slot that isn't while I'm at work.
    wandajune6 it took forever to be able to do it. I went through two classes and still could barely dc. My bestfriend finally taught me but if I go too long without making one, I forget and have to re-learn the pattern!!
  • anjemon said:

I just finished stitching a tardis for my friend for her Who-themed nursery. There may or may not be 15 other Who-related pieces matted and framed sitting in my craft room.

I think I would really love that! I haven't done much cross stitching lately, but I think that one would be really fun. And I have friends who would love it.

I'm a knitter/crocheter mostly. I've got a few project going right now actually. I have a baby blanket I'm making for my sister's 2nd child, who is now almost 2 months old. At least I'm almost halfway done. And an afghan I was making just because I thought it was pretty. I should really restart some of these now that I have more free time.

If we're talking fun projects I'd like to do, I really want to figure out how to actually cross stitch this:
    If you want any of the Who stuff I have, just PM me your email address, and I'll email you the files. The only thing is, I don't indicate what colors the symbols stand for or the back-stitching/outlining on my charts - that's what I use the image files for.

I've been wanting to make the Picard "Make It Sew" for a long time, but I can't seem to find anyone who sells the kit/chart anywhere. Maybe once I finish this Who stuff, I'll just make my own damn stitch chart for it.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    @beachyone15 tell me more about the craft box thing.  Is it just for making cards or other stuff?  My mom makes her own cards but if it includes things other than cards she probably wouldn't use it
  • kvrunskvruns member
    I'm not crafty at all, nor artsy.  The closest I came was scrapbooking back in college and just after but now I'm lazy.  My mom has gotten into digital scrapbooks but even that seems like too much work these days.
  • kvruns said:

@beachyone15 tell me more about the craft box thing.  Is it just for making cards or other stuff?  My mom makes her own cards but if it includes things other than cards she probably wouldn't use it

Sometimes it's cards, and sometimes other things like little mini boxes/favor-type crafts. I usually prefer when it's cards because then I can at least use them. Sometimes with the little fancy boxes, they are fun to make but I have no idea what to do with them afterwards!

• arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

chibiyui said:

Like with most handmade things, patience is necessary. Cross-stitching is not hard, per se, but it's repetitive and you don't see results until you're pretty much done with the project. And it's easy to mess up if you count wrong, which I do more often than I should. I would say the piece you posted is going to be frustrating for a beginner because of the detail, the colors, the size, and the abundance of white space (which often leads to miscounting stitches). Not impossible, but it could potentially cause yelling, swearing, and throwing of craft supplies across the room. 

If you really want to pick up the hobby, most craft stores have small, simple kits that are inexpensive so you can get a feel for comfortable positions to hold the fabric, get used to the motion of stitching, and get used to reading a stitch chart/map.
    I just bought a beginner cross stitch kit. I am excited to learn a crafty hobby.
  • @cookie pusher @hellosweetie1015 Thanks!

My guess is I'll probably pay another one of my crafty friends to do it when they're not busy. I have the lazies, and when I knitted counting was the devil for me.

Anniversary
  • I love all of the nerdy stuff ladies!
    I like to paint/draw a lot. I make hemp jewelry sometimes.  
  • beachyone15beachyone15 member
    edited May 2015
    Did anyone else make these back in middle school? I had shoe boxes full. Best craft ever.

ETA: image, ARGH, can't get it to work. Friendship bracelets is what I'm referring to, not just random bundles of yarn.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards