Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

No unity traditions

2»

Re: No unity traditions

• Options
    fyrchk said:

We weren't planning on doing any unity ceremonies because I also think it's redundent. We met with our officiant and she had a wine unity thing that she incorporated into the ceremony. I figured why the hell not do it since a) we got married at a winery and b) I got to drink during the ceremony. It also tied in our moms and we both thought it was a very sweet way to include them. Had it been anything other than wine, like candles or sand, I would've nixed it.

Ummmm...I wasn't planning on a unity thing...but wine? Please elaborate. For those of us who are curious. And possibly alcoholics. lol
    Just seeing this now! For the wine ceremony (you can find specifics on Pinterest as well) - H and I both picked out a bottle of wine that we liked. I chose a riesling and he chose a gewurztraminer. During the ceremony, we each had a wine glass and then a "goblet" (I just used one of the giant wine glasses we already owned). Our officiant explained the whole thing, and our moms came up and poured our wine into our respective glasses. Then H and I poured our wine into the giant glass and offered each other a sip. Same basic premise as the other unity ceremonies. Afterwards, H and I just drank right out of the bottles and our photographer got some really silly pictures of us.  CLICK for readings and such that can be done for the wine ceremony.
  • Options
    KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    We didn't do anything, and I actually can't think of a wedding I've been to that did.
  • Options
    We're not doing anything. I wanted to avoid candles because I am both clumsy and superstitious and at my father's first wedding (for a marriage that ended about as badly as possible), they accidentally blew the candle out.  Beyond that, the Catholic Church doesn't really encourage it and it became another thing to buy and more logistics to consider (who's going to collect it from the altar post-ceremony? etc.) I have only seen it done at one wedding I've been to and that couple knocked the candle out! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards