Moms and Maids
Options

Is this to weird for a gift?

My four bridesmaids all love their wine.  For their gift I was thinking of getting them their favorite bottle of wine and an engraved wine glass with their initials or something (still working on this).  I am also getting them flip flops, a tote, nail polish, and a gift card to a coffee shop (but I know this doesn't go with the wine theme).

My fiancé is a really good carpenter and has made some of our furniture (people have now asked him to make them theirs because it is so nice).  I was thinking of having him make (which he would love doing) them a wooden wine rack.. something like this: 

Is that a weird idea?  The reason I thought of it was because my MOH was saying how she loved them and wishes her SO could make stuff like that.  However, then I was thinking it may be rude of me to give them a decoration for their house.  If they don't like it they may feel obligated to use it, which is not what I want.

I am having a hard time thinking of something to show them how much I love and appreciate them for everything they have done.  

Re: Is this to weird for a gift?

• Options
    I personally think the wine is a great gift alone. (Now you just mentioned getting them their "favorite bottle" so if that is a $2 bottle that would change things.)

The general advice on this site is to shop like it is their birthday. A nice bottle of wine for my wine loving friends is a great birthday gift and therefore would work on this occasion as well.

The additional items are also nice, although we tend to try and pull people away from the "party bag" idea where everyone gets the same thing. In this case however the wine would be the main gift and the other part just extras so in my book you are good to go.

As far as the rack idea I would probably skip it. Personal tastes are just so different its hard to judge if all of them would like it the same way. Then, as you mentioned, they might feel odd NOT putting it in their home.
  • Options
    Thanks.  That is what my gut was telling me.  From now on I just need to trust it!  They all have different favorite wines (around $30 each).
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2015
    If you decide to make the wine racks (which I wouldn't do personally) please make one that stores wine properly. . . on its side, not vertically where the corks will dry out and whatnot.  For people who like good wine, or know anything about wine, i'd think that they would never use the wine rack you linked to out of fear that they will ruin all the wine deliciousness!
  • Options
    I am apparently the unpopular opinion, but I think a handmade wine rack would be awesome.  I guess it's a decoration, but even if it's in the pantry and they use it to hold wine....so what?  I'd give them a bottle of their favorite wine and the rack, nothing else.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Well, if you think that your wedding party members would actually appreciate the wine racks, you might as well go for it.  But if not, then I'd get them something that they would appreciate.  Note: the gifts don't all have to be the same.  I'd also not engrave any of the other gifts-I've noticed that people tend not to prefer monogrammed or engraved gifts.
  • Options
    jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015

I think the wine rack is perfect for the person who expressed interest in one.  But then I would find something else for each of the other three if they haven't previously expressed interest.  The gifts don't have to match, and in fact, maybe shouldn't.  Like for myself, I already have more nail polish than ten fingers and ten toes can reasonably wear - don't need more.  And I HATE flip-flops with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns.  I have one pair of flip-flop-ish type sandals that are of top-notch quality and comfort, but I rarely wear them and when I hear people clopping in their flip-flops like a Clydesdale, I want to bludgeon them with their own flip-flop.  What does each person like?  Focus on them as an individual instead.

ETA:  Oh, I didn't even click on the etsy link when I originally posted - only after I saw esstee33 post "not that one."  Yeah, no...no to that wine rack.  Don't have him make a wine rack like that.  That's an awful wine rack and anyone who actually loves wine and is even remotely interested in having more than one bottle in their home at any time knows that's not an appropriate way to store wine.

• Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    Casadena said:

I am apparently the unpopular opinion, but I think a handmade wine rack would be awesome.  I guess it's a decoration, but even if it's in the pantry and they use it to hold wine....so what?  I'd give them a bottle of their favorite wine and the rack, nothing else.

I think a handmade wine rack would be awesome, too, but not that one. And I live in a small-ish apartment with no pantry, so any wine rack I had would, by necessity, be out on display. That's the problem with gifts like this, no matter how well-intentioned and thoughtful. :-/ 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards