Chit Chat

Calling All People That Do the Hiring at Their Jobs

Okay guys.

I'm hunting for a new job, but with my new name I will need a new e-mail address.  I heard a rumor that people with hotmail or yahoo are less likely to be hired than someone with a gmail or outlook account. 

True or false in real life?

Thanks!

Re: Calling All People That Do the Hiring at Their Jobs

• I don't do hiring now but I used to.  Someone's email address account provider had no affect on me as to whether or not I would hire somebody.  Now, if I got a resume with someone of the email address Xx4204lyfexX@whatever.com  or like HotSweetie9347@whatever.com then I'd be a bit more judgy, only because it's common sense to have a professional sounding email when looking for a job, and if they didn't have that kind of common sense, they wouldn't have been a good fit for the position.
    Married 9.12.15
  • True. Get gmail.
  • edited May 2015

Okay guys.

I'm hunting for a new job, but with my new name I will need a new e-mail address.  I heard a rumor that people with hotmail or yahoo are less likely to be hired than someone with a gmail or outlook account. 

True or false in real life?

Thanks!

I have -0- hiring power, but I judge the heck out of hotmail/yahoo email addresses. I pretty much consider Gmail the One True Email Provider. 

Also emails that are like "AdventureLady1988" as opposed to "Ellie.Frederickson".

I am a very judgy person when it comes to emails.

ETA: I do think it's because I never, ever see professional-looking yahoo addresses. Every professional looking address is on Gmail.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • WHAT EVEN?

False.
  • tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    So really.. firstnamelastname@hotmail.com makes "people" think I'm less.. something?

I don't get it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah and people forget (or maybe they're just too young to remember), that gmail wasn't always a free, give anybody an email address, service.  I know I got gmail because a friend who worked in a tech industry gave me an "invite".  You couldn't just randomly sign up for them back then.  This was I think 2003-2004.

And now I feel old. 

Married 9.12.15
  • I haven't hired anyone in a very long time, but I would think that as long as it was firstnamelastname@something.com versus supersexybride@something.com you're fine.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I'm big on tech and I say use a gmail account. Plus, DOCS!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• And by the way, before I had gmail, my email address was firstnamemiddlenamelastname@yahoo.com   
    Married 9.12.15
  • tcnoble said:

So really.. firstnamelastname@hotmail.com makes "people" think I'm less.. something?

I don't get it.
    It's not completely black and white.. firstnamelastname@hotmail would be preferable to gingersnap@gmail. But, when I read through resumes, I do look twice at hotmail/yahoo.
  • It's not the gmail, yahoo, hotmail that gets my attention its sexxxylady69@yahoo.com over sarah.smith@yahoo.com that would have me filing your resume under G. I have stopped looking at resumes as a recruiter when it's been an inappropriate email. 

I have a rather inappropriate for work email address that I have had since I was 19 (I'm 37 now), I use it for spammy stuff and use my gmail for more appropriate work related stuff.
  • I never care about the domain part. 

But I judge the shit out XXXHOTSWEETIECUMXXX@gmail.com

Or anything cutesy sweetbabygirl@gmail.com is just as bad. JoanSmith@yahoo.com I'll take seriously.

Ok if you have aol email addy I MIGHT judge you. A little. But more in an LOL way.
  • MagicInk said:

I never care about the domain part. 

Or anything cutesy sweetbabygirl@gmail.com is just as bad. JoanSmith@yahoo.com I'll take seriously.

Ok if you have aol email addy I MIGHT judge you. A little. But more in an LOL way.
    This is exactly what it is. I won't throw out a strong resume based on hotmail/yahoo/aol (unless it is xXxsexychic69xXx@aol.com), but I'll notice it. I might also make assumptions about the persons a/s/l.

• bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    I've heard the same so I use gmail when applying for jobs. I don't know if it's true and obviously it shouldn't be but it was easy enough to create one so why not?

• I helped do some pre screening and interviews at work recently. I gave 0 fucks to anyone's email address, and they didn't tell me to look for them at all.

Agreed that if it was something like sexxybride123@yahoo.ca or naughtybitz@gmail.com, then yeah I had some red flags pop up in my mind. Otherwise, didn't even really notice the domain name.

Personally, I use hotmail. I also have two work emails that look great but wouldn't dare use them for applying elsewhere. One of H's coworkers got called out on doing that, so clearly their work emails are monitored.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • bizzy592 said:

This is exactly what it is. I won't throw out a strong resume based on hotmail/yahoo/aol (unless it is xXxsexychic69xXx@aol.com), but I'll notice it. I might also make assumptions about the persons a/s/l.

Based solely on the email domain? You should probably not be doing any hiring.
  • bizzy592 said:

That was a joke.
  • bizzy592 said:

MagicInk said:

I was actually LOLing based on the fact that AOL is not really current or often used internet provider anymore. There was a time when they ran with the big dogs. That time is not now.

Also Microsoft bought out hotmail. So now you get an @outlook email addy. I know at one point you could get an @live addy too.
  • Question expansion:

The only server available with firstname.lastname is outlook. Would you rather:

firstname.lastname@outlook.com  or firstname.lastname(insert random series of numbers)@gmail.com.

• bizzy592 said:

bizzy592 said:

That was a joke.

Uh huh.

• ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015

Question expansion:

firstname.lastname@outlook.com  or firstname.lastname(insert random series of numbers)@gmail.com.

I would give zero fucks.

ETA also, my old yahoo email was AshleyMiddleInitialLastname@yahoo.com (So, like, ashleymsmtih@yahoo.com). No numbers required.
  • Question expansion:

firstname.lastname@outlook I fucking hate random numbers. I'm not good at remembering their order.
  • @loveislouder I don't think it makes a ton of difference, but I do like when an email is simple to reference or type (I'm a recruiter). But there is nothing wrong with Outlook. Or as long as it isn't like 10 digits after your name, you're good.
  • AlisonM23 said:

@loveislouder I don't think it makes a ton of difference, but I do like when an email is simple to reference or type (I'm a recruiter). But there is nothing wrong with Outlook. Or as long as it isn't like 10 digits after your name, you're good.

Agreed. If it's not like, 90732907183489371, it doesn't matter.
  • KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    I sometimes hire people, and am in a combo tech/creative field, and I can pretty safely say I judge them all equally as long as it's some form of firstnamelastname.

In the past couple of years, we've (my H and I) hired folks with gmail, yahoo, and local providers like rogers; I don't know if I've seen any hotmail, but it wouldn't bother me. Outlook wouldn't bother me in the slightest; neither would a college or university-based address. Once they're hired we end up giving them a custom domain address anyway, so it doesn't matter client-side or anything.

I do remember reading some advice to get a gmail account for resumes, but that was years ago when you had to be invited to gmail and it had a certain cachet. I don't think it matters anymore, imo.
  • edited May 2015
    I read an article about 5-6 years ago that said there was a trend that people with @aol.com, @yahoo.com, and @sbcglobal.net were perceived as being old and out of touch because they were using "old" systems and therefore were perceived as not "up" on new technology- therefore someone you wouldn't want to hire unless you had an antiquated business or customer base.

FWIW, I hire people and I wouldn't not hire someone with an email extension as noted above, but whenever I see them it makes me remember that darn article!

I will pass on cutesy or completely unprofessional email addresses though.

Also, you might want to make an email address that you use just for job hunting. You'd be surprised at what can come up when you Google an email address sometimes... I know a guy that does it with every one of his hires.

ETF: words
  • It's definitely the fact that hotmail and yahoo have a "dating" effect for me. Especially in this tech-based world, an attorney should have a more professional email. I understand being attached to your email, but I'm currently porting all of my first.maiden emails to a first.married - once I actually begin using the first.married email, I'll set my first.maiden to autoreply with a note about my email change. It isn't hard anymore to change emails. If you're still using a perceived-outdated email, as simple as it is to swap over, I wonder what else you're using that's outdated technology.

Local providers don't faze me.

To the pp who was talking about getting a Gmail invite - I got one too.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards