Chit Chat

Bye

1235»

Re: Bye

• I dated a guy in college who couldn't even say the WORD tampon. 

I started my period when I was visiting him, so I bought a box of tampons and ended up leaving them in the bathroom cabinet at his house. I figured I already had tampons at my place, so might as well have some at his place just in case (we'd been dating a long time and left all kinds of stuff at each other's houses at this point). 

He calls me on the phone later and sounds all awkward and worried. I can hear something being kicked around. He says, "Uh... you left your... things." I had forgotten about the tampons so I said, "What things? My shoes?" 
    He says, "No... those things... in the bathroom" 
    I said, "Oh, the tampons? Yeah I left them on purpose." 
    He says, "You need to get them out. They're.... in here." Then I figure out that the weird noise in the background is him, standing in the bathroom, kicking the box of tampons around to try to get them out the door without touching them. He had pulled them out of the cabinet with his foot. With his shoes on. 

He actually made me come back over and take them away because they freaked him out so bad. 
    Please tell me you dumped him immediately.

I'm sorry if a man can't deal with the fact that women MENSTRUATE they don't need to get the benefits of regularly banging a woman either. Grow the fuck up. It's just a period. Your mama got them, so did your grandma and basically every woman you have ever known bleeds monthly from her vagina. Deal with it.
  • MagicInk said:

I dated a guy in college who couldn't even say the WORD tampon. 

I started my period when I was visiting him, so I bought a box of tampons and ended up leaving them in the bathroom cabinet at his house. I figured I already had tampons at my place, so might as well have some at his place just in case (we'd been dating a long time and left all kinds of stuff at each other's houses at this point). 

He calls me on the phone later and sounds all awkward and worried. I can hear something being kicked around. He says, "Uh... you left your... things." I had forgotten about the tampons so I said, "What things? My shoes?" 
    He says, "You need to get them out. They're.... in here." Then I figure out that the weird noise in the background is him, standing in the bathroom, kicking the box of tampons around to try to get them out the door without touching them. He had pulled them out of the cabinet with his foot. With his shoes on. 

He actually made me come back over and take them away because they freaked him out so bad. 

I'm sorry if a man can't deal with the fact that women MENSTRUATE they don't need to get the benefits of regularly banging a woman either. Grow the fuck up. It's just a period. Your mama got them, so did your grandma and basically every woman you have ever known bleeds monthly from her vagina. Deal with it.
    This. 

Unless you were saving used tampons, this guy has got to be one of the most immature shmos I have ever heard of. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • MagicInk said:

I dated a guy in college who couldn't even say the WORD tampon. 

This. 

Unless you were saving used tampons, this guy has got to be one of the most immature shmos I have ever heard of. 
    Yeah, this is just.....bizarre. I knew my husband loved me when he helped me change my pad after my surgery in March. Not being able to say tampon is just too much. Not everything women do is sexy :)

This is a really interesting thread- so fascinating to see how different people are brought up. We had an afternoon session in prob 5th grade where we learned about periods and were given a cheesy book and some pads. Then, in 9th grade, we had Life Management (sort of like Home Ec) and they devoted MAYBE 1 day to STDs and pregnancy. But there were also a bunch of pregnant girls in my high school, so I am pretty sure it wasn't effective.

I think my parents talked periods with me after the elementary school session, but being raised Catholic, sex was for marriage. And that's about it.

I also thought blow jobs were.....blowing.....until I was a bit stupidly old.
  • I got my first period the day before my 3.5 hour swim class, so I went to the drugstore on the way to lessons, bought myself tampons and figured out how they worked in the stall at the pool.  That was fun.  Oh, and I couldn't borrow from my Mom cos she used OB and this suckers had no applicator.  Yeah, no thanks for a first time user.  

Dad offered to get me BC when I was 17 and wanted to go camping with friends for a weekend.  Yeah, no, we just wanted to camp, not actually have sex.  He thought that was why kids wanted to get away for the weekend.  I then explained the concept of skipping an afternoon of school to go to someone's house.  He had never thought of that.  And he was ok with me going too, as long as I was safe.  

• Feeling very lucky.

I'm sure we had sex ed. We must have. What I remember is the conversations with my mom. She would sit us down with these early editions of Our Bodies, Ourselves and go through sections with us. I remember her drawing fallopian tubes and answering questions that I now know where horribly awkward to answer (I remember being 10 or 11 and asking how often people had sex).

Neither of us was terribly interested in sex/dating before college. We were more focused on getting the hell out of town (we grew up in a nice neighborhood with amazing parents- we just needed space from each other). Also, we grew up in the peak of the AIDS era. My mom used this gem:

"There are things you can fix and things you can't fix. Don't be stupid." Pregnancies can be ended. Some STDs can be fixed with drugs. Others will kill you.

My parents took the same approach to drugs: pot was fine but cigarettes are addictive and will kill you. No needles. And avoid the risk of bad trips.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I dated a guy in college who couldn't even say the WORD tampon. 

• MagicInk said:

Oh! Someone talked about an AIDS video they saw? That reminded me of 7th grade science where our teach told us you could catch AIDS even from kissing. And that you should only have sex after you are married and get a blood test because otherwise you will for sure catch AIDS.

I told him you contract HIV, not AIDS. HIV turns into AIDS. He told me it was the same thing. No. HIV and AIDS are not the same thing. I feel like as a science teacher you should know this.

It was really awful because the take away was "If you so much as speak to someone with HIV you will get it too". I have friends who are HIV positive and that stigma is still fucking around today. Don't eat off the same dishes, don't sit near them, don't hug them, kiss them, use the same bathroom. YOU COULD GET THE AIDS.

I mean sure if you're fucking them without a condom or sharing a needle you'll probably get HIV from them. But if you share a bottle of water you aren't going to catch HIV. And the kissing thing? You would both need to have open sores in your mouth. It's possible just not probable. 

We were taught this too!!! I had a really fundamental misunderstanding of HIV/AIDS until like sophomore year of college. Our high school PE teachers (who taught an hour of sex ed once a year) basically told us that if you make out with someone who has HIV or AIDS that you are 100% guaranteed to catch it. Let alone having sex with someone HIV positive. When I found out that people with HIV can have safe sex and hugely reduce the risk of transmitting it to their partner, I was STUNNED.

I went to public high school in the south and had abstinence only. It was basically just pictures of STDs and naming the parts and stuff like that. I didn't know how to properly put on a condom until I had been having sex for 5 years. Also I'm sure I was TERRIBLE at BJs as a teenager because I interpreted "sucking a dick" as LITERALLY sucking. Like, hard. And nothing else.

My parents didn't help. To my mom's credit, she took me to get on the pill when I was like 14. But that was it. She was basically like "Do you want to go to the obgyn and get birth control? Ok, but you should still wait until you're married to have sex." That was about it.

She found a vibrator in my room when I was 18 and was PISSED. I came back with some retort about when she started having sex, she admitted that she lost her virginity at 17 and really didn't have much right to be mad at me about it since it wasn't even actual sex with another person (which I had been having since 15, but she didn't know that).

I want to be WAY more open than my parents were. And also offer my daughters BC basically as soon as I feel it's necessary. Because despite everything my mom DIDN'T teach me, I'm so glad I never got pregnant.
    Wow, I find it so sad that you both were taught this.  I know in health we were taught that you  could not get HIV by kissing, sharing food, toilets, etc. Sex, needles, or possibly but rarely blood transfusions. And we were definitely taught that HIV lead to AIDS. 

I wonder if it's state by state thing, or a 90s vs 2000s thing. 

• MagicInk said:

Oh! Someone talked about an AIDS video they saw? That reminded me of 7th grade science where our teach told us you could catch AIDS even from kissing. And that you should only have sex after you are married and get a blood test because otherwise you will for sure catch AIDS.

I told him you contract HIV, not AIDS. HIV turns into AIDS. He told me it was the same thing. No. HIV and AIDS are not the same thing. I feel like as a science teacher you should know this.

It was really awful because the take away was "If you so much as speak to someone with HIV you will get it too". I have friends who are HIV positive and that stigma is still fucking around today. Don't eat off the same dishes, don't sit near them, don't hug them, kiss them, use the same bathroom. YOU COULD GET THE AIDS.

I mean sure if you're fucking them without a condom or sharing a needle you'll probably get HIV from them. But if you share a bottle of water you aren't going to catch HIV. And the kissing thing? You would both need to have open sores in your mouth. It's possible just not probable. 

We were taught this too!!! I had a really fundamental misunderstanding of HIV/AIDS until like sophomore year of college. Our high school PE teachers (who taught an hour of sex ed once a year) basically told us that if you make out with someone who has HIV or AIDS that you are 100% guaranteed to catch it. Let alone having sex with someone HIV positive. When I found out that people with HIV can have safe sex and hugely reduce the risk of transmitting it to their partner, I was STUNNED.

I went to public high school in the south and had abstinence only. It was basically just pictures of STDs and naming the parts and stuff like that. I didn't know how to properly put on a condom until I had been having sex for 5 years. Also I'm sure I was TERRIBLE at BJs as a teenager because I interpreted "sucking a dick" as LITERALLY sucking. Like, hard. And nothing else.

My parents didn't help. To my mom's credit, she took me to get on the pill when I was like 14. But that was it. She was basically like "Do you want to go to the obgyn and get birth control? Ok, but you should still wait until you're married to have sex." That was about it.

She found a vibrator in my room when I was 18 and was PISSED. I came back with some retort about when she started having sex, she admitted that she lost her virginity at 17 and really didn't have much right to be mad at me about it since it wasn't even actual sex with another person (which I had been having since 15, but she didn't know that).

I want to be WAY more open than my parents were. And also offer my daughters BC basically as soon as I feel it's necessary. Because despite everything my mom DIDN'T teach me, I'm so glad I never got pregnant.
    Wow, I find it so sad that you both were taught this.  I know in health we were taught that you  could not get HIV by kissing, sharing food, toilets, etc. Sex, needles, or possibly but rarely blood transfusions. And we were definitely taught that HIV lead to AIDS. 

I'm going to go with state by state - I went through my sex ed classes in the 90s, and we definitely did not learn any of that made up crap about HIV/AIDS. We learned actual, ya know, scientific facts. Novel concept for most schools, apparently, according to this thread.
  • allispain said:

MagicInk said:

I'm going to go with state by state - I went through my sex ed classes in the 90s, and we definitely did not learn any of that made up crap about HIV/AIDS. We learned actual, ya know, scientific facts. Novel concept for most schools, apparently, according to this thread.

It's actually district-by-district. School decisions, from curriculum to funding the new field house to cutting music and art classes, are decided at the local level (I believe this is true everywhere; it might just have been the case in my state). Any time they wanted to make a change, it went to a referendum, which the town voted on. Our shitty abstinence-only sex ed was decided upon by the voting adults in my town. Someone the next town over could have gotten a completely comprehensive education; I don't know.

Certain things are state or federally mandated (you have to learn X math and read Y book everywhere, or at least you do if you want your school accredited). But the "smaller" things? (Yep, in this fucked up world learning about sexuality is "small") Those are decided locally.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2015
    allispain said:

MagicInk said:

Yup, me too in the 90s. That is why I was wondering if in the early 2000 things changed with the changing of the president. In the 90s we were getting accurate information about AIDS because it just was learned about in the 80s. By the 2000s, it was all "old hat" and the country took on a more conservative landscape. I'm totally speculating, but I wonder.

• allispain said:

MagicInk said:

Yup, me too in the 90s. That is why I was wondering if in the early 2000 things changed with the changing of the president. In the 90s we were getting accurate information about AIDS because it just was learned about in the 80s. By the 2000s, it was all "old hat" and the country took on a more conservative landscape. I'm totally speculating, but I wonder.

I was in 7th grade in 98/99, so by the time I got to high school for our sex ed class (in 10th grade) it would've been 01/02. 

I know a lot of it was my distract. My schools were very conservative, and everyone was very very religious. We had "Christian Club on Campus" and they were our biggest club in high school. And they manged to block us from starting a GSA (gay-straight alliance) because it interfered with their values. By the time we were trying to start a GSA I was almost out and honestly had had the fight beaten out of me by that point. 
  • edited June 2015
  • MagicInk said:

allispain said:

MagicInk said:

I was in 7th grade in 98/99, so by the time I got to high school for our sex ed class (in 10th grade) it would've been 01/02. 

I know a lot of it was my distract. My schools were very conservative, and everyone was very very religious. We had "Christian Club on Campus" and they were our biggest club in high school. And they manged to block us from starting a GSA (gay-straight alliance) because it interfered with their values. By the time we were trying to start a GSA I was almost out and honestly had had the fight beaten out of me by that point. 
    My school got a GSA because two lesbians were in-school suspended for close-mouth kissing, were able to prove that straight couples didn't even face detention, filed a lawsuit, and got the GSA as part of their settlement with the school.

Nice! We weren't allowed to bring same sex dates with us to school dances until I got my parents to drop the word "lawsuit". Sometimes we'd get a dickhead working the door who was all "Oh yeah prove you're not just friends" but I went off on one once about how asking underage girls to make out to prove they were real lesbians was super pervy and probably a felony. 

I never understand the push back against having a GSA. What do they think happens in there? It's just a group for kids who are gay and also straight to talk about issues they deal with. 
  • allispain said:

MagicInk said:

I went through middle school and high school in the 2000's, in the south, and a very conservative area. We always received accurate information about HIV and AIDS. 

• MagicInk said:

allispain said:

MagicInk said:

I'm sorry Magic. That's terrible. We had a GSA at our school, same sex couples were allowed at prom/homecoming (you could bring just a friend from another school/grade if you wanted too). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards