Chit Chat

help me find a cute outfit (or two! or three...)

So, I may have mentioned we are getting married in Europe in early August. FILs are throwing a party over July 4 weekend, partly centered around the Jewish tradition of the groom being called to the Torah (aka the Aliya - usually this happens the day before the wedding, in our case we are having this four weeks before the wedding, because this way this can happen in FI's hometown), and partly to just have a party/ "meet the bride and groom" thing for FI's extended family who will not be traveling to the wedding. So, I guess, in TK terms, something of a pre-wedding AHR. 
The itinerary for that weekend is like this: 
- Saturday morning - religious service in FIL's temple, with a buffet breakfast hosted for the congregation thereafter [this may be attended by whoever attends the service that morning]
- Saturday night - BBQ party at FIL's house, not super formal but probably upscale for an at-home party. [No worries, everyone invited to this is invited to the wedding... but a lot of these people already said they will not make it to the wedding, so thats part of why ILs wanted to throw this in the first place]
- Sunday daytime - FMIL's BFFs are throwing me a shower - very very nice of them but I do feel a bit awkward since I only met them once or twice. But I am told its a thing they do for each other's daughters /future-daughters-in-law. 
- Just to clarify - I'm just a guest in all of this and in no way involved in planning or hosting. 

Sooo it looks like I need 3 outfits? Hopefully some of which I could re-wear for the RD a few weeks later? And generally in life post-wedding because cute dresses?  

....Bloomingdales has a sale right now and I got a gift card for my birthday... so...This is what I'm thinking: (the one with the belt for the temple, then the flowery one for the party and the shorter white one for the shower...or maybe just stick with the belt one for both temple and party and skip the flowery one)

I guess my question is - are the non-patterned white dresses too bride-y/ AWish though? Should I rather do non-white? I don't want this to look like a pseudo wedding... on the other hand people do wear white to their own shower right? I've actually never been to a shower (even as a guest...ha) so I'm not really sure. 

- The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 

Re: help me find a cute outfit (or two! or three...)

• I wouldn't over think it. Those dresses are all really pretty and I like which ones you picked for each event!
    *********************************************************************************

• mj8215 said:

So, I may have mentioned we are getting married in Europe in early August. FILs are throwing a party over July 4 weekend, partly centered around the Jewish tradition of the groom being called to the Torah (aka the Aliya - usually this happens the day before the wedding, in our case we are having this four weeks before the wedding, because this way this can happen in FI's hometown), and partly to just have a party/ "meet the bride and groom" thing for FI's extended family who will not be traveling to the wedding. So, I guess, in TK terms, something of a pre-wedding AHR. 

The itinerary for that weekend is like this: 
    - Saturday morning - religious service in FIL's temple, with a buffet breakfast hosted for the congregation thereafter [this may be attended by whoever attends the service that morning]
    - Saturday night - BBQ party at FIL's house, not super formal but probably upscale for an at-home party. [No worries, everyone invited to this is invited to the wedding... but a lot of these people already said they will not make it to the wedding, so thats part of why ILs wanted to throw this in the first place]
    - Sunday daytime - FMIL's BFFs are throwing me a shower - very very nice of them but I do feel a bit awkward since I only met them once or twice. But I am told its a thing they do for each other's daughters /future-daughters-in-law. 
    - Just to clarify - I'm just a guest in all of this and in no way involved in planning or hosting. 

Sooo it looks like I need 3 outfits? Hopefully some of which I could re-wear for the RD a few weeks later? And generally in life post-wedding because cute dresses?  

....Bloomingdales has a sale right now and I got a gift card for my birthday... so...This is what I'm thinking: (the one with the belt for the temple, then the flowery one for the party and the shorter white one for the shower...or maybe just stick with the belt one for both temple and party and skip the flowery one)

I guess my question is - are the non-patterned white dresses too bride-y/ AWish though? Should I rather do non-white? I don't want this to look like a pseudo wedding... on the other hand people do wear white to their own shower right? I've actually never been to a shower (even as a guest...ha) so I'm not really sure. 

I don't think there's a problem with the white dresses - heck, I'll wear white myself to any party that's not a wedding. The stuff you linked is cute! (And yes, I've recently seen a bunch of brides make a point of wearing white to all WR parties, which I have no problem with but would not bother to do myself.)

Also, I mean, I'm all for the excuse to go shopping, but I'm sure you've probably also got some appropriate stuff in your closet, since you also don't NEED to wear anything in particular to stand out at these things.
  • You're going to be the center of attention no matter what you wear, but I second that wearing white would be appropriate: A) You're the future bride and B) it's summer, so white dresses will be fine. I would just make sure that whatever you wear is party safe. (I don't know that I could keep the white ones clean at a barbecue, myself.)
  • mj8215mj8215 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Thanks for the feedback ladies :) so much more fun to pick out party dresses than to study for my upcoming board exams haha 
    - The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 
  • I love those dresses especially the first one white one!

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards