Snarky Brides
Options

Don't snark about my ring!

SepiaToneSepiaTone member
5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
edited May 2015 in Snarky Brides
Ok, so I'll level, this is a post just to vent. FI & I have been engaged for a little over a year, both in grad school and saving for the the wedding. Because of a number of reasons - being poor students, my job making me the "career spouse," not feeling the need to have my FI be "the breadwinner" - I had asked that he not buy an engagement ring, particularly not a diamond. I figured we'd each buy wedding bands, and that was enough.

He figured a sneaky way around this by using his great-great-grandmother's wedding band for to proposal. It means so much to know that I'm trusted with a family heirloom. It does fit on my ring finger, but is a little loose, so I usually wear it on the middle one. I didn't resize it or anything because it has a pre-1910 inscription inside.

My rant is this: I'm getting a lot of flack for not having a diamond, and people - both men and women - with whom I currently work keep asking if he's really serious because he didn't buy one. I feel like I am constantly having to defend this decision, despite the fact that this ring's history is, to me, more valuable than some over-pressed carbon. The worst part is, I work in higher-ed with dozens of supposedly actualized women who are getting their PhDs, many of whom will, like myself, be the educated, "career" spouse.

Now, if you have a diamond, and you wanted it, I have no issue with that. But has anyone else been dealing with this out there? Even if it's not the ring, there seem to be a high number of things people just expect you to want, and a near vitriolic reaction when you don't want them.

Re: Don't snark about my ring!

• Options
    I don't have an engagement ring at all. I didn't want one. I don't wear rings. I most likely will not wear my wedding ring. I have arthritis in my hands and my fingers swell with any change in barometric pressure. Smile and say that "Diamonds are not your style, marriage is". And leave it at that. 

I know people who didn't exchange rings on their wedding day, they did bracelets instead. There are other customs out there, you can mention those to people too. As well, engagement rings are a relatively new custom having been invented by the de Boers diamond company to sell diamonds in another forms at the turn of the century after the Boer war.
  • Options
    Yeah.

I don't like showers. Other people can like them, but I don't. I don't like the premise, I don't like the attention, I don't enjoy going to them for others, I don't want them for myself. My family knew me well enough not even to offer one... but when they asked if my family was throwing me a shower, people had implied that they felt sorry for me and even that I had an uncaring family, when in fact it is the opposite.
  • Options
    I do not understand why people think it is okay to make such a rude and judgmental comment like asking whether your FI is serious because there's no diamond.  
    Mine is diamond, but I know plenty of others with birth stones, moonstones, just bands, no bands... it's up to the person and the couple.  It's not a statement about the quality of the relationship at all.  I've been cranky today so maybe this is extra rubbing me the wrong way (and it reminds me of something a particularly superficial person once said to me), but this kind of judgment has me like
    I think it's amazing he gave you such a sweet heirloom.  What matters is how you two feel about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh. They're assholes, straight-up. Just look down your nose at them when they snark and say, "This ring survived the Titanic." Or something equally awe-inspiring. Your ring has something much more precious than a diamond.

• Options
    debbeaudebbeau member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Answer
    Having a family heirloom is such a wonderful special thing. I have a diamond but would have married my husband if he gave me a cigar band.

Colasuda I love morganite. It is such a classic looking stone.
  • Options
    I've had people tell me my ring isn't their style. To my face. Like.. okay, good thing you aren't wearing it then! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My center stone is 0.75 carats and I often get snark for it being small (which is ridiculous... I know people with beautiful rings of ALL sizes, or with no stones at all). The most annoying is when people pretend it as a compliment. Like I've had a couple of "Oh you can focus a lot more on the quality of the stone when you go with a smaller size!" or "I'm glad you didn't get a stone that's too big, it would look silly on your small hands." Like basically backhanded ways of saying "I think your diamond is small."

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

My center stone is 0.75 carats and I often get snark for it being small (which is ridiculous... I know people with beautiful rings of ALL sizes, or with no stones at all). The most annoying is when people pretend it as a compliment. Like I've had a couple of "Oh you can focus a lot more on the quality of the stone when you go with a smaller size!" or "I'm glad you didn't get a stone that's too big, it would look silly on your small hands." Like basically backhanded ways of saying "I think your diamond is small."

I will never for the life of me understand what possesses people to get so hung up on the size of your stone or the type of stone you have. An engagement ring (should you want one) is a symbol of your commitment to each other, not a means to advertise your future husband's wealth. It shouldn't matter how big, what kind, etc. ring you have; people that get caught up in this drive me crazy and I feel like they're missing the point of what it's all about.

What matters is your relationship and your commitment to each other, whether you have a ring or not. My center stone is also .75 and I deal with this too...I wouldn't trade my ring for the world.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    debbeaudebbeau member
    Do people really think .75 is a small stone? I am one of those people who would say something if I heard someone make a comment to the ring owner. I just do not get what stone size or type has to do with commitment.
  • Options
    debbeau said:

Do people really think .75 is a small stone? I am one of those people who would say something if I heard someone make a comment to the ring owner. I just do not get what stone size or type has to do with commitment.

I think .75 is a big stone! My center stone is .39 and the sides .33 each. Or something like that. Agreed that the style, size, etc of a ring or lack of a ring altogether is no one's business.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Terrible.

Why do people even care what someone's E-ring is? It is not affecting their life in the least.

My ring is a diamond, it is what I wanted. My FI and I went and picked it out together and designed the ring together. The key word in those sentences is TOGETHER not diamond.

Picking the ring's details is done between the two people in the relationship. The decision on what it is/looks like is a combination of about 1000 factors from price to personal preference and everything between them. The idea that someone other than the 2 people involved feel the need to comment is just so odd to me. (This assumes the couple or one of the 2 purchased the ring. I guess if someone else is buying it on your behalf they get a say but that is a different issue entirely.)
  • Options
    debbeaudebbeau member
    Kaitlyn, I also think .75 is a big stone too. I was shocked that someone would comment on it being small.
  • Options
    If anyone made any kind of comment to me on my ring I'd probably punch them. My ring, my finger, my marriage - fuck off.
  • Options
    mj8215mj8215 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Ugh all these people making bitchy comments about someone else's ring are just the worst! 

I'm just going to leave this here

- The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 
  • Options
    What is normal for some people isn't always normal for others, and thats totally okay. I wouldn't let it make you lose sleep at night. You know your reason and justifying it, I'm sure, gets old. People will always nag you about something. fuckers.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    My center stone is also 0.75 and no one has made any negative comments about it. It also has 2 0.25 side stones as well as channel diamonds so the tcw is over  1.25.

If someone did make a negative comment on the size I'd tell them bigger is not always better. Quality not quantity.

• Options
    sheknows6 said:
    I will never for the life of me understand what possesses people to get so hung up on the size of your stone or the type of stone you have. An engagement ring (should you want one) is a symbol of your commitment to each other, not a means to advertise your future husband's wealth. It shouldn't matter how big, what kind, etc. ring you have; people that get caught up in this drive me crazy and I feel like they're missing the point of what it's all about.

What matters is your relationship and your commitment to each other, whether you have a ring or not. My center stone is also .75 and I deal with this too...I wouldn't trade my ring for the world.
    **********Boxes*****************************************

All of this. My center stone is 0.82 CT (I have 15 small stones in the band that make it just over 1ct tw), and I have had so many people not notice it or sneer at it for being "tiny". Then again, I live in an area where people like to show off wealth, even if they don't actually have it, so really anything under 1.5 CT is considered small from what I have seen. FI and I prioritize other things than showing off (such as saving money to buy a house), and I love my ring and the meaning behind it. 

I don't get the snark on engagement rings. It is not a requirement for marriage, and jewelry is such a personal taste that it seems downright judgemental if it doesn't align to your* narrow minded beliefs of what an engagement ring should be. 

*in general your, not directed at anyone in particular

• Options
    I have a sapphire center stone with 2 diamonds on the sides. I have no idea their sizes but would think maybe 1 CT all together... I do have small hands with my ring size being 4.25.

H and I have been together over 9 years and our engagement came at the 6 year mark. We were still struggling financially and I knew the ring was the hold up with him proposing. My mom gifted H her engagement ring from my dad (divorced now but still have a great relationship and I am very close with both my parents) which was a sapphire solitaire in a gold band. H was able to sell the gold and keep the stone and had it reset in a white gold band. My aunt heard about this and had 2 diamond earrings that she didn't wear anymore that were roughly the same size and she also gifted these to H which became the side stones.

I can't believe what a beautiful ring I got from the help and love of my family. It made H really feel special that my family wanted to help so much! I haven't gotten any snark from it (well sometimes ladies in the nail salons...) it is smaller and simpler then most other rings I see now... but all the meaning and love behind it makes it priceless to me!

Anniversary
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2015
    I'm honestly surprised I haven't gotten more snarky comments.  My engagement ring is very nontraditional. It's a gold band with a row of channel-set diamonds. Similar to the picture below except with fewer diamonds.

I have no idea how many carats they are. H told me what the individual diamonds were and the total weight, and I don't remember.  He said he has the paperwork somewhere, but I've never seen it, and I don't care.

• Options
    I'm honestly surprised I haven't gotten more snarky comments.  My engagement ring is very nontraditional. It's a gold band with a row of channel-set diamonds. Similar to the picture below except with fewer diamonds.

I have no idea how many carats they are. H told me what the individual diamonds were and the total weight, and I don't remember.  He said he has the paperwork somewhere, but I've never seen it, and I don't care.

----

That is gorgeous. That is almost exactly what I'm looking for in a wedding band, except in rose gold.

• Options
    This kind of crap is so rude and annoying. My aunts, who are notorious for switching out and/or upgrading their engagement rings/wedding bands made some lovely comments about my e-ring as well, including "Oh, it is so cute and petite, just like you!"

Do you really think that is a compliment? The ring is a family ring, inherited from FI's great grandma. I absolutely love it. The band is extremely thin and the setting is deep with intricate art-deco style details. IMO, it is gorgeous AND more valuable due to its history. I have no idea what size the diamond is, and FI's family had it appraised and have paperwork on it, but I haven't seen it and don't feel the need to.

Plus I don't want a damn rock weighing down my hand. This bad boy is already rough under gloves in the winter!

I want to say that I hope this trend of "the bigger the ring the better" and "it must be a diamond!" goes away, but I feel like it will only get worse.
  • Options
    Some people just feel the need to compete to make themselves feel better. They just don't want to hear that you don't NEED or WANT to "keep up" with the bigger rock, or house, or vacation. FI and I prioritize investments and retirement over new cars and expensive "things" for the house, other people want the new cars and bigger TVs which is fine but don't assume that I want that or am jealous of what you have (general you). I don't understand why some people find it so hard to just be happy that someone else is happy even if it's not a reason they would be happy! 

My center stone is just under .5 and I only know because I needed an appraisal to get it insured. FI used my mom's stone from my dad and put it in a setting for me. I don't hear much about the size which for me is perfect because the diamond means something to me, but I do get "oh, so you didn't get white gold?" nope, I didn't, I personally don't wear anything with a silver color and he picked out EXACTLY my style so props to him for going with what I would like and not what the "norm" seems to be now.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CsondraCsondra member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2015
    My engagement ring is a non-traditional stone and metal - and I adore it. My FI spent time looking and found the ring that fit us perfectly. I know 3 women who have gotten engaged since me and none of them have traditional e-rings either.

That being said, I've gotten a couple "oh, he'll buy you a diamond when he can afford it" type comments. Uh, he can afford it, it's not what either of us wanted. Damned judgmental "ladies".
  • Options
    colasuda said:

----

That is gorgeous. That is almost exactly what I'm looking for in a wedding band, except in rose gold.

Thank you.  I really like it.  
  • Options
    debbeau said:

Apparently they do, because I got this A LOT when we first got engaged (and still do, occasionally).  A lot of my friends come from family money (I don't) or have very wealthy SOs (I also don't) so I'm used to seeing 2+ carat center stones. I don't hate big stones like some people do, but I just didn't feel the need to have a gigantic stone. I'm much happier in something that fit DF's budget and that we picked out together.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

I totally understand. When Fi and I were looking at rings pre-engagement, one jeweler told my Fi he was a LUCKY guy because I was a simple girl. I am all into fashion jewelry and have never been a ring/diamonds girl.

I wanted a princess cut diamond with a dainty setting - nothing too big or flashy. Everything he showed us was bigger than I wanted and I kept saying I wanted something smaller and simpler since I have small hands and am petite. The jeweler looked at me and said well I guess that makes sense since you have long spindly fingers.

My Fi did not buy my ring from him. Obv.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    So, your FI listened to your request not to buy an E-ring, not to have diamonds.

He carefully figured a way around not buying, and ended up presenting you with a beautiful (and probably valuable, sentimentally at least) ring...

And people want to know if he's serious?

I think it shows just how great your relationship is that he actually took what you said to heart rather than "oh, that means she wants a hella big ring covered in diamonds".

Congratulations :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards