Outdoor Weddings

Should my ceremony be outdoors?

Re: Should my ceremony be outdoors?

• My mother and I have been debating on the best option for my wedding ceremony which will be May 25, 2015. It is ultimately my choice as my mother is not paying for the wedding but I would love for you all to share your opinions on the matter.

My mother’s choice: Have the wedding in the same hall that where reception will be held (Tallahassee Woman’s Club) with everyone seated at their tables. While I agree the comfort of the AC would be nice, I have many concerns about doing it this way: it’s an awkward setup, nowhere to “hide” before ceremony, how do we handle the exit and re-entrance?

(Having a room switch over is not an option as there is nowhere for guests to go.)

My choice: Have the wedding at the park just across the street from the reception venue. I love this idea because the park is beautiful with its huge moss covered oaks and alleviates much of the awkwardness of having everything in one spot. However, my mother is convinced that everyone will die of heat stroke.

Weather.com says the averages for that day of the year are: average high-89, average low-65, and the mean is 77. The ceremony will be at 1:30 in the afternoon which, admittedly, is close to the hottest time of day. I have suggested that we have the ceremony under one of the shady oaks, set up an ice water/lemonade station at a nearby picnic table, and have program fans at every seat. None of this has appeased my mother and she insists the ceremony should be indoors.

Should we do it outside and it rains, I don’t mind using the first option as a backup but would really prefer the park if given the option. Also, the only added expenses would be $20 to rent the park (not a typo, it really is only twenty!) and chair rentals which I estimated to be about $150.

So, do y’all think mother knows best or is it fine to have it in the park?

I like your plan with the water, the shade, the chairs, and the indoor backup plan. Sounds like a win.
  • Just understand your backup plan may very well be your final one. It rains a lot in Tallahassee and can be quite warm then. I grew up there. Are you thinking of the ceremony in Los Robles park? Also how much would a tent be to rent for the ceremony? Just a thought. That said I did go to an outdoor wedding in San Antonio in August. Most receptions I went to as a kid at the Womans club the weddings were at a local church.
  • CCriswell89CCriswell89 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited November 2014
  • I think it would be fine, but I'd have a temperature cut-off at which you'd move it inside. I would not be thrilled about an outside wedding if it were 89 degrees out, especially when you factor in humidity. High 70s / low 80s and I'd be OK with it, especially if you have water / lemonade / iced tea & program fans out for people. But 89, to me, is just hot like Hades and I would not be a happy camper. 

I'd just plan for the park, and if it turns out to be way too hot or raining that day, move it inside. Since it's right across the street, I don't think it would be a huge ordeal to move the ceremony location. 

• CCriswell89CCriswell89 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited November 2014

I like the idea of a temperature cut off. I agree 89 is too hot, but I honestly don't think it would hit that by 1:30, if at all. Usually it takes until 3 or 4 for it to get to the highest. Florida is so crazy, we never know what to expect.

My fiancé and I went to a wedding last Memorial Day weekend (same as ours) and it was fine. It was a little hot but it was at 3:30 and they did not have any of the accommodations I have planned for. We were stuck in an open area, head on with the sun. Everyone huddled under nearby trees like cows until the very last minute.

• I grew up  in Tallahassee and I remember the weather well. Not only is it hot, it is humid. Even under the live oaks with cold water, that is going to be uncomfortable for your guests. As I guest, I would be miserable.

I like the idea of having everything all in one room. It would be different but not strange to have the guests in their same seats for the ceremony and reception, and would be so much more pleasant for them. There is no reason you need to have an exit and re-entrance; you can be introduced without leaving and re-entering the room, which would seem peculiar to me.
  • @CCriswell89, deleting your posts is rude.

• I like the idea of a temperature cut off. I agree 89 is too hot, but I honestly don't think it would hit that by 1:30, if at all. Usually it takes until 3 or 4 for it to get to the highest. Florida is so crazy, we never know what to expect.

My fiancé and I went to a wedding last Memorial Day weekend (same as ours) and it was fine. It was a little hot but it was at 3:30 and they did not have any of the accommodations I have planned for. We were stuck in an open area, head on with the sun. Everyone huddled under nearby trees like cows until the very last minute.

JIC
    *********************************************************************************

• WTF was the reason for the DD?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Your plan sounds beautiful and you have a back up, so go for it.  I did quite a bit of research on picking out my date because even though I have a back-up plan, I really want my primary plan to work (sound familiar)

Try using weathertab.com    

They seem to be the only ones not using a historical average (guess based on the past). Plus I used them for previous trips and they did pretty good. 
    @Knottie86205609, this is basically a dead thread. It has not been active since November, 2014, so odds are the OP is long gone. When you respond to a thread, check under the avatar of the last poster. It always includes the date of the most recent (or in this case, a dead) posting date. In this way, you will know whether your comment will be of any value to the OP.
  • zombie - closing
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards