Getting in Shape
Options

Goal to Loose 15lbs only 20lbs to go...

It seems like every weekend is either a holiday weekend, I'm visiting family, family is visiting me, I'm moving...etc. Basically I've realized that I have an excuse to eat poorly every week and an excuse not to exercise basically every day and it's made my simple goal of loosing 15lbs in a year to a little more difficult task of loosing 20lbs in less than 5 months. Now that's still doable but it's time to get serious. I have done really good recording everything I eat in the Lose It app these last 3 days and while I'm not sure how much to trust daily weigh ins my weight has decreased a little bit each day. Now if only I can also squeeze in exercising each day I'll feel a lot better.

Anyone else finding themselves in a setback from their goals? Or maybe you haven't gone backwards like me but you're just stuck and need some motivation? What are you trying or planning on trying to loose weight or get in shape? 

For those of you who have been successful, what is your motivation and what helped you stay on track the most? Did you use any weight loss or exercise plans/programs?

Also do you find your fiance is helpful with weight loss and exercise? My fiance is very supportive of me but when I'm feeling tired after work he says things like you don't need to work out today relax or encourages me to take seconds of my favorite foods. He's trying to be sweet but sometimes I just need a kick in the pants to get moving!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Goal to Loose 15lbs only 20lbs to go...

• Options
    Fiance and I take turns enabling and motivating each other. We both want to lose more weight before the wedding, although he's just lost about 50 and I've lost about 20 recently (down 95 total from my highest weight). We'll cave together and go out for dessert, or we'll wake each other up to exercise before work.

Most of my success has come from a combination of food tracking (via My Fitness Pal or FitBit) and exercise tracking through a pedometer (I've used an iPod Nano, a WiiFit, and a FitBit). I've been super lazy about both lately, and consequently I have stayed within a pound of the same weight for about three weeks now. I also have motivational jars full of beads, marked "pounds to lose" and "pounds lost"; while fun, it's not providing any meaningful motivation, it's just fun when I do actually lose a whole pound.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    My FI is my best motivator. He loves the way I look now, which helps his motivation not come across as 'you need to do this' but more 'you want to do this for you and I want to encourage you'
    While he is pretty bad at letting me cheat on food, he always pushes me to do my workout. We have a routine now where I get home from work and immediately do my workout while he prepares supper. That way I don't feel like exercising is getting in the way of time together or doing fun things.

I have a fitbit which really helps me keep accountable. Being able to see input vs. output and adjusting my day accordingly. If I eat that icecream, perhaps I'll do an extra rep or two. Or if I nailed a workout, perhaps I can have that icecream. etc.

I'm currently doing my second 30 day HIIT program. It was tough at first to commit to doing something everyday, but the workouts are designed to be short and intense. 15-30 minutes. It's easy to find 30 minutes in your day, and its easier to push through a tough workout when you know its going to be over soon. And the workout is different every day! so it doesnt get repetative and boring.

As for 'motivation' or what im doing this for. I am not doing it for the wedding. While it may work for some people to set that goal of X amount by the wedding, I find that it's really discouraging to me. Next year FI and I and my parents want to do this big hike, and we will also be trying TTC in a year or two. So my motivation is not necessarily weight related, but overall physical and mental health. I find that having a physical goal rather that a weight goal is way more motivating. For example. When I started working out I could do 8 modified pushups in a row. Now I can do 20 full pushups. In the time I accomplished that I did not lose any weight. See what I mean? Set goals that are not scale related.

I only allow myself to weigh in ONCE a week. You will drive yourself insane over daily fluctuations.

Good Luck!

• Options
    My FI is my best motivator. He loves the way I look now, which helps his motivation not come across as 'you need to do this' but more 'you want to do this for you and I want to encourage you'
    While he is pretty bad at letting me cheat on food, he always pushes me to do my workout. We have a routine now where I get home from work and immediately do my workout while he prepares supper. That way I don't feel like exercising is getting in the way of time together or doing fun things.

I have a fitbit which really helps me keep accountable. Being able to see input vs. output and adjusting my day accordingly. If I eat that icecream, perhaps I'll do an extra rep or two. Or if I nailed a workout, perhaps I can have that icecream. etc.

I'm currently doing my second 30 day HIIT program. It was tough at first to commit to doing something everyday, but the workouts are designed to be short and intense. 15-30 minutes. It's easy to find 30 minutes in your day, and its easier to push through a tough workout when you know its going to be over soon. And the workout is different every day! so it doesnt get repetative and boring.

As for 'motivation' or what im doing this for. I am not doing it for the wedding. While it may work for some people to set that goal of X amount by the wedding, I find that it's really discouraging to me. Next year FI and I and my parents want to do this big hike, and we will also be trying TTC in a year or two. So my motivation is not necessarily weight related, but overall physical and mental health. I find that having a physical goal rather that a weight goal is way more motivating. For example. When I started working out I could do 8 modified pushups in a row. Now I can do 20 full pushups. In the time I accomplished that I did not lose any weight. See what I mean? Set goals that are not scale related.

I only allow myself to weigh in ONCE a week. You will drive yourself insane over daily fluctuations.

Good Luck!

Did you follow a program for the 30 day HIIT challenge?? If you did, where did you find it? I love HIIT workouts (in theory of course), but not sure where to find them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    dreamsinpink

I use the website darebee.com

The have specific workouts, as well as designed programs.

If you go under the programs tab you will find 30 days of Beginner HIIT and 30 days Advanced HIIT.

They also have an exercise library so if you don't know what a specific move is you can watch a short video of someone doing it.
  • Options
    I'm just now starting working out after a setback also.  I just don't feel physically comfortable where I am at the moment, especially with some of my clothes.  I'm trying to do 30 mins of cardio a day, plus really want to start this 30-day HIIT challenge: click  I don't want to go by my weight, but rather by how my clothes fit and how I feel, so I guess my overall feelings of wellbeing are my biggest motivator.  I always feel calmer after working out so it's a nice trade-off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know how you feel. I got out of the military and only wanted to lose 11 pounds. I tended to PT better for testing at my heavier weight, but I liked the way I looked more at the lighter weight, so I kept heavier because... well... I like doing well on tests.

Six months later and I gained as much weight as I initially wanted to lose. I'm about back down to the weight I started at (after another six months... I've been out just over a year), so that's something.

What's hard for me is that my fiance and I want to go in opposite directions. He wants to gain fifteen pounds. And he forgets to eat, so I'm constantly reminding him while trying not to eat too much.

I also have this annoying thing where I stagnate at a weight for several weeks before I drop. It's frustrating. Trying not to let it get me down. I will say that when I started PTing again within weeks I looked and felt much better about myself. I can see the changes in my body and that I look leaner even if the numbers don't reflect that. Seeing a difference has helped me keep my sanity.

• Options
    So I'm doing 21 Day Fix, but I'm also doing "girly" pushups everyday.  I started yesterday so hopefully I will stick with it.  I pretty much do 4 rounds of pushups, each time doing as many as I can.  Trying to get to the point that I can do full pushups.  My arms are sore in all the right places so hoping I tone up a bit.

This girl is totally my motivation.

• Options
    Thank you all. I think most of you are right and I need to start looking at it as more than just the actual weight loss. I want to fit back in a couple pairs of my tighter jeans, that's kind of how I noticed I was falling backward in the first place.

I wish it was easy to find 30 minutes in my day. I'm up at 5:30 for work and by the time I get home at 6 my fiance and I make dinner and then it's like 7:30-8 when we've finished cleaning up and I'm ready to just read or watch TV until bed. maybe I need to readjust my attitude or my schedule..

@klk111415 I like your push-up plan. I can only do girly pushups and very few. I might try adding that to my schedule and maybe like crunches and squats. I feel like those are things I could do like between chapters or between episodes that would help me tone up in addition to diet.

I've been doing ok on my diet. Down 4 lbs from when I started. The weekend is definitely my downfall. I seem to be able to stick to 1200 calories during the week which is helping but then last weekend we were with family and I ate too much and gained back the 2 lbs I had lost during the week.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all. I think most of you are right and I need to start looking at it as more than just the actual weight loss. I want to fit back in a couple pairs of my tighter jeans, that's kind of how I noticed I was falling backward in the first place.

I wish it was easy to find 30 minutes in my day. I'm up at 5:30 for work and by the time I get home at 6 my fiance and I make dinner and then it's like 7:30-8 when we've finished cleaning up and I'm ready to just read or watch TV until bed. maybe I need to readjust my attitude or my schedule..

@klk111415 I like your push-up plan. I can only do girly pushups and very few. I might try adding that to my schedule and maybe like crunches and squats. I feel like those are things I could do like between chapters or between episodes that would help me tone up in addition to diet.

I've been doing ok on my diet. Down 4 lbs from when I started. The weekend is definitely my downfall. I seem to be able to stick to 1200 calories during the week which is helping but then last weekend we were with family and I ate too much and gained back the 2 lbs I had lost during the week.

Is there any way you can get your FI to commit to helping you workout by preparing supper?

I try and work out in the mornings, but when i miss one and need to work out at night my FI has offered to step up to the plate with dinner/dishes to help me commit to working out. I'll get home from work and immediately change and start working out. While I am doing my 30 minute workout, FI makes supper. Usually we are able to coordinate it well enough that I finish my workout, do a quick rinse off and supper is ready on the table around the same time. I find that it really helps me get the workout in without interrupting our daily scehdule. And FI likes that he can encourage me to workout and help me commit by giving me the time and space to do and have a meal waiting for me when I am done.
  • Options
    SoontobeMrsKlein That's a good idea, I bet I could get my fiance to commit to that. I think I'd feel bad if it was every night but if I make it like 2-3 nights a week he'd probably be happy about it. 

Also I think I have to try working out in the morning, maybe not a half hour workout but a 15 minute workout video might work. This week I've started eating my breakfast when I get to work (keeps me from snacking at my desk). I've still been getting up at the same time and now I've got an extra 15 minutes or so in the mornings which I've been using to clean or play with my hamster. But I could adjust that time to working out time. Just need to coordinate shower time with FI because I have the first shower so he might have to switch and shower while I workout.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @engagedhamstermom  Pushups take so little time (mainly because I can't do that many) but they also have squat, plank and ab challenges that are easy to incorporate.  You just need to put it in your calendar and mark it off (I found it really easy to just forget to do it) I have a little motivation now, fortunately.  I've been taking weeks off from working out and haven't gained any weight back so it really is the diet that's doing something! Just do what you can and don't stress over it! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards