Wedding Etiquette Forum

Child Free Wedding?

Re: Child Free Wedding?

• I don't think the kids room, or area is really a regional thing just starting to occur more. I'm from the Midwest and have seen this at more weddings than not. My sister did this as well and mentioned it somewhere, just can't remember, that the service is available should parents choose.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • I mean we had a giant coke fueled orgy in the middle of our dance floor. But that was cause it was a gay wedding. That's what happens at all gay weddings.

We were snorting coke off of hookers' asses.  We had Pixy-Stix for the kids to use.
    Damn, I am missing out on some kick ass weddings!
    It's an Appalachian regional thing.
    We did meth at our wedding. We do it up real nice here in the country. Even had a box for your sharps!
    I'm so damn sheltered I don't even know what sharps are! 

but orgies and coke, cool. 

• I mean we had a giant coke fueled orgy in the middle of our dance floor. But that was cause it was a gay wedding. That's what happens at all gay weddings.

We were snorting coke off of hookers' asses.  We had Pixy-Stix for the kids to use.
    Damn, I am missing out on some kick ass weddings!
    It's an Appalachian regional thing.
    We did meth at our wedding. We do it up real nice here in the country. Even had a box for your sharps!
    I'm so damn sheltered I don't even know what sharps are! 

but orgies and coke, cool. 
    Sharps is referring to needles. The yellow boxes that you see at Doctor's offices are "Sharps Containers". Where I live they have them in all public washrooms.
  • Heffalump said:
    Here in the south, it's common to arrive at reception venue, kids are greeted by party hostess who takes them to nearby kid party room while parents go to reception. Party room has two or three levels of age-appropriate activities, games, dinner, etc. at the end of the night, the kids don't want to go home. You fi's fam needs to understand that kids party room is not a punishment ; it's a separate age- appropriate party.
    Really? Everyone in the south does this? Hey @emmaaa, did you have this at your wedding? @southernbelle0915 how about you? This a regional thing now? (I am sure there are more southerns on here, I just know them for sure)
    I got married in North Carolina, and strangely, all of the guests were allowed in the same room together.  Probably because I'm a carpetbagger and didn't know any better.
    Another NC native signing in. Most of the weddings I've been to the kids are on the dance floor with the rest of us. A set of triplets in the family that were 3 or 4 at my wedding still remember attending because according to them I was a princess. Our fourth anniversary is next week.

I also recall dancing to "Barbie Girl" all night at the wedding of one of my mom's cousins with the groom's 8ish-year-old niece. I must have been a young teen or so at the time.
  • Heffalump said:
    Here in the south, it's common to arrive at reception venue, kids are greeted by party hostess who takes them to nearby kid party room while parents go to reception. Party room has two or three levels of age-appropriate activities, games, dinner, etc. at the end of the night, the kids don't want to go home. You fi's fam needs to understand that kids party room is not a punishment ; it's a separate age- appropriate party.
    Really? Everyone in the south does this? Hey @emmaaa, did you have this at your wedding? @southernbelle0915 how about you? This a regional thing now? (I am sure there are more southerns on here, I just know them for sure)
    I got married in North Carolina, and strangely, all of the guests were allowed in the same room together.  Probably because I'm a carpetbagger and didn't know any better.
    Another NC native signing in. Most of the weddings I've been to the kids are on the dance floor with the rest of us. A set of triplets in the family that were 3 or 4 at my wedding still remember attending because according to them I was a princess. Our fourth anniversary is next week.

I also recall dancing to "Barbie Girl" all night at the wedding of one of my mom's cousins with the groom's 8ish-year-old niece. I must have been a young teen or so at the time.
    Almost every wedding I have been to (all in the South) include children and they are allowed to stay in the same room. Like @artbyallie said, I've seen the kids dancing all night and be the life of the party at some weddings. Please don't classify your rude "practice" as a Southern thing...it's rude and I know my Southern aunts would turn their nose up at something like this.

• JBee85JBee85 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I also lived in the South. Kids were even brought into bar areas of restaurants. If that's allowed, then they def. don't have "kids only" areas at weddings.
  • So, PPs have it covered, but just wanted to add I did exactly what everyone has recommended (only listing people invited, invite in small circles i.e. mine and H's first cousins that are children, no extended family's children or friends), and it went just fine. Everyone knew who was invited and we had no one try to bring children that weren't invited. Our friends got sitters (or something, we didn't ask, they didn't tell us), and our OOT guest brought kids and had a giant slumber party with their cousins that lived in town. Worked out fine.

H and I wanted a child-free wedding (and yes, there were multiple people taking off articles of clothing during the reception, although even that isn't something I think many parents would object to). We'd didn't try to justify or explain to people our decision, and none of them asked (besides my controlling mother, but that's a very different discussion).

Moral of the story? Listen to the regulars on here and treat your guests with respect and everything will work out fine.
  • ...or do what makes you happy.
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    lyndausvi said:
    Any other older regs feel like we have Kristin###'s twin posting?  

Yes! I have always thought they were the same person.
  • We're having a PG-13 wedding.  We thought that cut off went well with our horror movie theme because with everyone coming in costume plus our decorations there could be some terrifying sights for little kids.  Plus, what kid wants to go to a wedding over going trick or treating?

The only children invited are four of our teenage cousins.  We just made sure to very clearly label on the invitations who was invited from a particular family.  For example, one family who has two teenage children and two under thirteen says "Father, Mother, Son & Son LastName."  We also put on our reply cards a Number Attending ___ of 4 (or whatever the number may be) so that no one can sneak in extra guests.  I remember my cousin getting stressed because she was receiving RSVPs for more people than she had intended to invite so we wanted to avoid that.
  • Just my two cents here.

We wanted a very small intimate ceremony. Just our parents and grandparents (both of our grandparent sets were unable to attend), my stepsons, and my niece as a flower girl, with her stepmom and dad as chaperones (and her 1 year old sister since they couldn't find a sitter.) I did not want his sister, her three kids, and her boyfriend there because we were trying to work with a budget (we had lunch reservations afterwards) and beside that, his sister hates me and has openly stated she "doesn't approve of our union" and that I am "no longer invited to any functions she is holding." 

His mother went behind our back and spun a huge negative story about why we didn't want her there, pinned it all on me, and then snuck details to her so she could show up and crash, even after my husband flat out telling her to come alone or not at all. Well, they fought about it the entire day before and day of leading up to the wedding, and as I was having my hair and makeup done, I got the text that she was there with her brood. She spent the entire time glaring at me and bother her and my MIL trash talked my side of the family the whole day. Her kids were super unruly at the lunch, she did nothing to control them, and that made my two boys want to act up a ton as well.

Long story short, we said no kids, the people with kids said screw it, brought the kids anyways, are going to hold a grudge for ages over it. Were there disruptions? Yes. Was I upset that she essentially said "screw you and it being YOUR day I will do what I want with no regards to your guys' wishes? Yes. But. Are we married? Yes. Was it beautiful? Yes. Will it affect our marriage in any way, aside from the fact that I have to put up wit his family's BS forever (which I would have to do regardless of our child-free dictation)? NO. Just bear that in mind for yourself.
  • SP29SP29 member
    edited June 2015
    We're having a PG-13 wedding.  We thought that cut off went well with our horror movie theme because with everyone coming in costume plus our decorations there could be some terrifying sights for little kids.  Plus, what kid wants to go to a wedding over going trick or treating?

The only children invited are four of our teenage cousins.  We just made sure to very clearly label on the invitations who was invited from a particular family.  For example, one family who has two teenage children and two under thirteen says "Father, Mother, Son & Son LastName."  We also put on our reply cards a Number Attending ___ of 4 (or whatever the number may be) so that no one can sneak in extra guests.  I remember my cousin getting stressed because she was receiving RSVPs for more people than she had intended to invite so we wanted to avoid that.

Oh geez. Ok, creating rules is usually what gets people into hot water. 13 is such a random age. Because of this you are breaking up a family. Sure, kids probably would prefer to trick or treat than attend your wedding, but if their parents are at your wedding, who is going to take them? But since you seem to be having a Halloween theme, maybe they would have lots of fun at your wedding. Maybe those teenage kids would rather go to a party with their friends instead of go to your wedding. See why generic cut offs are silly? And a costume is going to scare a 12 year old? Probably not. Let parents decide what is appropriate and not appropriate for their children.  

You next say you invited two teenage cousins but not their younger siblings. You have broken etiquette here because you have broken a family in half. Now those parents need to find childcare for half their kids. Be prepared for the hot water that may follow.

It's perfectly fine to not have children at a wedding. But don't choose a random cut off, because it usually causes more problems than it helps. Invite who you want to be there and don't invite those you don't.... invitations are not subpoenas, let the guests decide if they will attend or not and let parents decide what is or is not appropriate for their children. 
  • We're having a PG-13 wedding.  We thought that cut off went well with our horror movie theme because with everyone coming in costume plus our decorations there could be some terrifying sights for little kids.  Plus, what kid wants to go to a wedding over going trick or treating?

You should probably let people know that the word "fuck" can only be said only during you wedding and reception or it would automatically get a rated R rating from the MPAA. You might want to coordinate this saying of the word "fuck" since mulitple people might want to be the one to say it.
  • I do not know what a PG-13 wedding means.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Just address on the envelope who is invited. We are only inviting our children. Depends on how many children will be. I don't want too many children.

• SP29SP29 member
    edited June 2015
    lyndausvi said:
    I do not know what a PG-13 wedding means.

BOXES

Kissing and over the clothes fondling OK? Hints of sexuality but no nudity observable? (So guests can flirt and then run to a bathroom or closet together) Hints towards violence but no obvious blood and gore?

Obviously sarcasm. 

• I've realized that people on these boards are incredibly RUDE themselves and have no discretion as to what is respectful to post to someone- believe it or not - you CAN disagree without being disrespectful. One of my posts got cyberbullied to the point of tears... on my end.. and now I can't even believe that there is no moderation on a popular magazine's community boards.. Let's see them try and tell you that in person. Let's be honest.. they were probably the bullies in the playground as kids anyways and this is their way of reliving their glory.
    If they want to post some gifs/insults back... let them - gladly - it is amusing to see people who feel powerful on forums- nonetheless bridal forums - have fun bridezillas!!

Anyways... you asked a respectful question to a community of brides and I will provide whatever support I can. We had some difficulty with this as well. We didn't want babies... and this is coming from someone who loves babies!! - but the wedding is about the bride and groom celebrating coming together in life and some parents don't know where to draw the line when their child is running around/crying at the ceremony/reception. We drew a line where age was concerned.

The youngest person at my wedding is my groomsman and he will be 8 years old... he is my nephew and the flower girl is my cousin's little girl. My FMIL helped me to realize where to draw the line - these kids in my life are my immediate family- my sister's (MOH) little boy (my nephew) and my only little girl cousin (my close cousin's little girl)... they are very close and special to me and the reason why they are in my wedding.. distant third cousin kids... we don't even know them...
    To be kind to those who ask however (those who ask are my fiance's second cousins) we just tell them simply that the hall is not big enough to invite everyone (OR we tell them that the venue doesn't allow children under a certain age) and that has been sufficient reason for our guests. Most of them understand that its tough to invite everyone to a big wedding..

I learned that if you tell people that its the venue's rule... it is easier for them to understand and helps avoid any awkwardness... I went to a seminar here that was held by Jane Dayus-Hinch (from wedding SOS- the tv show) and she advised us in this way. It has been extremely helpful so far and has helped detract from any conflicts with our guests.
  • Additionally - to add to my post - we are just telling guests that the venue doesn't allow people under 8 years old... and it has helped to take some of the blame off of us..
  • Shocking.... Brinky is on the etiquette board giving crappy etiquette advice.

• olmeadows said:
    Additionally - to add to my post - we are just telling guests that the venue doesn't allow people under 8 years old... and it has helped to take some of the blame off of us..
    Because being a liar is totally better than just being an adult and owning the decisions you make!

Do people seriously buy this lie?  Has no one questioned what magical thing happens between the ages of 7 and 8 that makes little kids totes more responsible and why a venue would pick this completely arbitrary age as the perfect age which also happens to be the exact age of your nephew?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards