Pre-wedding Parties

huge bridal shower

13»

Re: huge bridal shower

• olmeadows said:

WOW, a lot of very judgmental, condescending commentary here.... let's be kind to our fellow brides. As an alternative perspective... I also have a big shower - my fiance has a large family that he has spent great amounts of time with since he was a child and we all shower each other with love and gifts for the beginning of marriage. Reminder... showers are not really about the guests, they are about the bride and celebrating her special day. I've been to many showers, some small and some big, and I've enjoyed every moment of watching a young woman surrounded by her loved ones opening gifts that she will use for a long time in her home. Especially when she receives things she didn't expect or would not be able to afford or want to buy for herself. Perhaps its time to take a different perspective on bridal showers and enjoy being there for a person who is in one of the most exciting times of her life.

With all due respect, I don't think the OP is asking you to criticize (incredibly rudely, I might add) how many guests she has attending her bridal shower and she mentioned absolutely nothing in her post about not wanting to open the gifts at all at the shower.

She was simply asking how to make it go smoothly. I love the suggestion of the timer and prizes - I think that serves the purpose of engaging everyone and also takes some pressure off the bride! I'm so nervous about blushing while I open gifts from everyone. This might be a great suggestion for my own shower in May!

Sorry, but no. 

Showers with that many people are extremely rude and gift grabby. 
  • olmeadows said:

WOW, a lot of very judgmental, condescending commentary here.... let's be kind to our fellow brides. As an alternative perspective... I also have a big shower - my fiance has a large family that he has spent great amounts of time with since he was a child and we all shower each other with love and gifts for the beginning of marriage. Reminder... showers are not really about the guests, they are about the bride and celebrating her special day. I've been to many showers, some small and some big, and I've enjoyed every moment of watching a young woman surrounded by her loved ones opening gifts that she will use for a long time in her home. Especially when she receives things she didn't expect or would not be able to afford or want to buy for herself. Perhaps its time to take a different perspective on bridal showers and enjoy being there for a person who is in one of the most exciting times of her life.

With all due respect, I don't think the OP is asking you to criticize (incredibly rudely, I might add) how many guests she has attending her bridal shower and she mentioned absolutely nothing in her post about not wanting to open the gifts at all at the shower.

She was simply asking how to make it go smoothly. I love the suggestion of the timer and prizes - I think that serves the purpose of engaging everyone and also takes some pressure off the bride! I'm so nervous about blushing while I open gifts from everyone. This might be a great suggestion for my own shower in May!

I just threw up in my mouth.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • 92 people? You will be opening gifts the entire day, how boring for your guests. You do not invite every woman to a shower that is invited to your wedding.
  • oliviabee22oliviabee22 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2015
    edited June 2015
    I love bridal showers, and I wouldn't want to go to a 50 person bridal shower, let alone a 92 person shower. Nothing is smooth about a nearly 100 person shower.

Then don't RSVP to a 50 person bridal shower... no one wants you there anyway if you're going to be miserable and it saves you from sitting through one. Almost every shower I've been to.. has been hosted by the bride's fam (or inlaws) and there have been big families that take part in all of these showers and its quite enjoyable)...

If you don't want to go... then don't rsvp...

• WOW, a lot of very judgmental, condescending commentary here.... let's be kind to our fellow brides. As an alternative perspective... I also have a big shower - my fiance has a large family that he has spent great amounts of time with since he was a child and we all shower each other with love and gifts for the beginning of marriage. Reminder... showers are not really about the guests, they are about the bride and celebrating her special day. I've been to many showers, some small and some big, and I've enjoyed every moment of watching a young woman surrounded by her loved ones opening gifts that she will use for a long time in her home. Especially when she receives things she didn't expect or would not be able to afford or want to buy for herself. Perhaps its time to take a different perspective on bridal showers and enjoy being there for a person who is in one of the most exciting times of her life.

This is all incorrect.  All of it. Especially the bolded.

Hmmmmm... while I love the Don Draper gif... I think that a BRIDAL shower is about the bride? No???
    You don't have to RSVP... actually I think that most brides would prefer that you didn't... If you don't give a eff don't go..??

• Well.. yeah...
    It's a bridal shower... did you think it was going to be all about you? Take a second to think about someone else ...
    edited June 2015
  • All of you are just fabulous. You are so funny... so cool.. you have so many gifs saved up from trolling on message-boards and I'm proud of you.

I think it is truly great that you've found friends and family here - if it makes you feel good to bully people on online forums... then this is the perfect venue, where you get likes and thumbs up for posting clever gifs of television characters. I commend you.

For the people who are just simply asking for some advice and aren't sure (and maybe just shy)... you have really "helped them" by telling them "you wouldn't go to their shower" and they are "gift-grabby" and "rude" for inviting that many people. We really thank you for that.... bridal showers are just terrible, torturous experiences after all... food/drinks/games... wow... yet you all RSVP to them...

Some of you are already married... did you have a bridal shower? did everyone watch you open gifts? was it so terrible for them? I don't think so... for those of us grooms and brides who AREN'T so lucky in monetary means, we are incredibly thankful for our friends and families helping us out in starting our life. And we didn't ask you if you would want to be invited - we asked you for advice on how to make it exciting and enjoyable for everyone. How terrible that we wanted to make it fun and enjoyable for our guests... how dare our loved ones host a bridal shower for us.

How awful... to watch someone else experience joy and open practical gifts for her and her future husband. I advise you all to just RSVP no to these showers... They are no fun at all.. no prizes... and no compassion and joy for your loved ones....

Please... I'd love to see the other gifs you have stored in your hard drive... we are all awaiting your snarky reply with zero support.... fellow "brides"....
  • NowIAmSypNowIAmSyp member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    Could you not come up with a coherant thought so you had to post multiple times in a row? 

The edit function. Learn it, love it, use it.
    Seriously... way to wake up an almost-zombie thread too, by the way.  Meadows, you seem to have a lot to say across the boards about how mean we are...  why even expend the energy?  If you don't like it here, there are literally thousands of other forums out there for you.  

ETF: clarity
  • olmeadows said:

I love bridal showers, and I wouldn't want to go to a 50 person bridal
    shower, let alone a 92 person shower. Nothing is smooth about a nearly
    100 person shower.

Then don't RSVP to a 50 person bridal shower... no one wants you there anyway if you're going to be miserable and it saves you from sitting through one. Almost every shower I've been to.. has been hosted by the bride's fam (or inlaws) and there have been big families that take part in all of these showers and its quite enjoyable)...

OK first of all, I have never received an invitation that gives me a heads up on the size of the event. Never ever. So its unreasonable to expect that people would know this information. And secondly, people should ALWAYS rsvp - you don't only rsvp if the answer is no....
    olmeadows said:

All of you are just fabulous. You are so funny... so cool.. you have so many gifs saved up from trolling on message-boards and I'm proud of you.

I think it is truly great that you've found friends and family here - if it makes you feel good to bully people on online forums... then this is the perfect venue, where you get likes and thumbs up for posting clever gifs of television characters. I commend you.

For the people who are just simply asking for some advice and aren't sure (and maybe just shy)... you have really "helped them" by telling them "you wouldn't go to their shower" and they are "gift-grabby" and "rude" for inviting that many people. We really thank you for that.... bridal showers are just terrible, torturous experiences after all... food/drinks/games... wow... yet you all RSVP to them...

Some of you are already married... did you have a bridal shower? did everyone watch you open gifts? was it so terrible for them? I don't think so... for those of us grooms and brides who AREN'T so lucky in monetary means, we are incredibly thankful for our friends and families helping us out in starting our life. And we didn't ask you if you would want to be invited - we asked you for advice on how to make it exciting and enjoyable for everyone. How terrible that we wanted to make it fun and enjoyable for our guests... how dare our loved ones host a bridal shower for us.

How awful... to watch someone else experience joy and open practical gifts for her and her future husband. I advise you all to just RSVP no to these showers... They are no fun at all.. no prizes... and no compassion and joy for your loved ones....

Please... I'd love to see the other gifs you have stored in your hard drive... we are all awaiting your snarky reply with zero support.... fellow "brides"....

You done? Good.

I like bridal showers. But this post is literally titled "huge bridal shower" and suggests inviting 100 people. Its not your typical bridal shower. And I would not want to go because it WOULD feel gift grabby to me.

By all means, if you want to hop up on the soap box again screaming "bully" (which is super offensive to a lot if people btw), go ahead. It just looks whiny and like you can't hear the word 'no' without throwing a fit.
    *********************************************************************************

• olmeadows said:
    All of you are just fabulous. You are so funny... so cool.. you have so many gifs saved up from trolling on message-boards and I'm proud of you.

Feel better now?

Huge bridal showers are still rude. 
  • olmeadows said:
    I love bridal showers, and I wouldn't want to go to a 50 person bridal shower, let alone a 92 person shower. Nothing is smooth about a nearly 100 person shower.

Ah. People like you are why I haven't GBCK. You're so entertaining with your lack of logic and self centered world view.  As another poster pointed out, nobody sends an invite with an estimated attendance count, so I wouldn't know it was a 92 person shower from Hell until I got there. Hopefully there is wine. 

Anyway, recently over on The Bump (you'd like it there, lots of snowflakes) there was a thread on Display Showers, and I replied that I found them rude, and would personally not attend a display shower advertised as such. And I was told I was being dramatic and a drama queen. From "nice" people, because anything that isn't a pat on the head these days is being unsupportive and attacking. So, I can attend the shower and be petty for side eyeing breaches of etiquette., or I can send my regrets and be a drama queen for not attending. Because that's logical.

Here's some advice, grow a backbone and learn that everyone doesn't have to agree with you.A good backbone will give you far more support then coddling will any day. 

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards