Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

***removed*** at wedding. HELP!

Re: ***removed*** at wedding. HELP!

• Options
    Ceremony is at 6pm. 

You guys can bicker about the situation as much as you want. 

I wanted opinions from other people involved in weddings. Most of your opinions are spiteful and lousy; have fun tearing each other apart. 

Look, I had a fucking almost-hurricane hit on my wedding day.   My beach wedding BTW.  60+ mph wind driven rains made the tent collapsed the morning of the wedding.   2 guys from the tent company had to drive an hour to us to make sure it would not collapse again.

Rain was coming inside ways that it was coming into the house I was getting ready in.  I spent my morning stuffing towels near the doors and windows to keep the room from flooding.   I had to walk in wind-driven rains to get to the venue.  Umbrellas are useless in those conditions.  I had to hike up my dress to protect the bottom.

Trust me knowing in advance that ONE BM isn't going to be there in the morning for a 6pm wedding is NO BIG DEAL. In all the things that could go "wrong"  this by far is the least thing to worry about.

Wish her luck, start the pictures at 4pm and more onto something more important.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Ceremony is at 6pm. 

I wanted opinions from other people involved in weddings. Most of your opinions are spiteful and lousy; have fun tearing each other apart. 

***BOXEESSSSS***

The ceremony is at 6?!?!?!?! and you expect this girl to give up her entire day?!?! Honestly all I can say to this is are you serious?!?!

Most of us on here are planning weddings/have planned a wedding/have been in weddings. So we are the people whose opinion you want. Sorry that we don't agree with you, hence why it's an opinion.

And I should hope that the majority of people will tell you that an important career move trounces 'getting ready time' with the bride. Your Bridesmaid has said she will make it to the ceremony! its a 6pm! How is this even an issue?!? The woman is being an amazing friend by taking the LSAT and then being a bridesmaid in your wedding! She is making it work! And you just scoff at her? You want to 'replace her' simply because she cant get ready with you guys? 

I just cant fathom treating my friends like that. 
    ETA: I get it. I understand the disappointment of not having your friends there for the entire day. 2 of my 3 bridesmaids are not getting ready with me. Because guess what? They have other important commitments. Like tiny children. And guess what? Tiny children trump getting ready with me. As the Bride I have done everything in my power to make the day as easy as possible on them. Because guess what? They are my most honoured guests (as your bridesmaids/groomsmen should be) and having them stand up with me has such meaning to me, so for me to be able to accomodate them is the least I can do. They mean so much to me!
  • Options
    KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

I know there are some people with common sense who will agree with me. 

I'm only addressing this statement, because there are lots of women here with common sense, and those women are the ones who will vehemently disagree with you. Because we realize that the most important part of being a friend is supporting the very important things to THEM. Not just because YOU deem them very important. It is very important to HER, therefore should be very important to you, I mean your "fiancee". And you mentioned the rehearsal, if she misses the rehearsal, that is so not a big deal because really, who doesn't know how to walk down an aisle and smile. You need to back off and support your friend. Oh wait, I mean your "fiancee" needs to support "her friend". 

I call MUD.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Ceremony is at 6pm. 

I wanted opinions from other people involved in weddings validation that my FI and I weren't being selfish and entitled. Most of your opinions are spiteful and lousy not validating our poor attitude, which is spiteful and lousy; have fun tearing each other apart

FIFY.

It seems like the LSAT would begin in the morning- Knotties who are in law school/lawyers, was that your experience?  Even if it starts at 9am, if it's a 5hr test she will be done by 2pm, leaving her plenty of time to get ready for your wedding ceremony.

You and your FI are seriously getting your panties in a bunch over nothing.  You are acting like brats, frankly.

ETA: And just as you apparently have the experience and authority to judge this woman's career choices, I want to tell you that I personally have the experience and authority to judge you and your bride's behavior regarding this wedding. 

I've been in 10+ weddings as a BM/MOH over the past decade and have attended another 20+ weddings as a guest; I know how it works.  You two are being unreasonable.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I don't post here often at all, but this post makes me happy I have the friends I have. They're all a**holes but, if this is how they felt, they would say something. & I can make the decision that that would be the last conversation we had and move on without them in my life. This is utterly ridiculous and I hope she realizes the kind of people she has around her.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Ceremony is at 6pm. 

I think you're a misogynist and that if this was one of the groomsmen you wouldn't be all up in arms and wanting to kick him out. I think you see her as a silly little woman who should've spent more time working on her MRS and now needs to get her pert little ass decorating and picking out lipsticks like a woman should.

And you see her being silly not because of what she has or has not done but because she is a woman and they are less then you. A big strong powerful man with real career goals and ambitions. And perhaps you even think women best stay out of the legal field and get to raising babies.

In other words, I think you need to take a real long walk off a real short pier. 

You don't know a thing about me. Your comment reflects your own insecurities, not mine. 

• Options
    Ceremony is at 6pm. 

I think you're a misogynist and that if this was one of the groomsmen you wouldn't be all up in arms and wanting to kick him out. I think you see her as a silly little woman who should've spent more time working on her MRS and now needs to get her pert little ass decorating and picking out lipsticks like a woman should.

And you see her being silly not because of what she has or has not done but because she is a woman and they are less then you. A big strong powerful man with real career goals and ambitions. And perhaps you even think women best stay out of the legal field and get to raising babies.

In other words, I think you need to take a real long walk off a real short pier. 
    Can I do the honors?

This seems wildly APPROPRIATE!!!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I am a current law student with a law student fiance planning a wedding. I am familiar with both the angst of applying to law school and the comparative ease of planning a wedding. According to OP, I am exactly the poster he wants to hear from on this subject. No, it is not reasonable to expect the bridesmaid to postpone her LSAT until the Dec. test date. A December score will be released far too late in the acceptance season for it to be beneficial. Your fiance, her friend, should understand that the LSAT is the second most important exam of this woman's career (the first is obviously the Bar) and should want what is best for her friend. The detriment to the bridesmaid, if she were to postpone the exam, is far greater than the detriment to your wedding, if she takes the exam as scheduled.
    How long is the LSAT and at what times does it usually begin?

Do you think she could complete it with enough time to be on time for a 6pm ceremony?

• Options
    I am a current law student with a law student fiance planning a wedding. I am familiar with both the angst of applying to law school and the comparative ease of planning a wedding. According to OP, I am exactly the poster he wants to hear from on this subject. No, it is not reasonable to expect the bridesmaid to postpone her LSAT until the Dec. test date. A December score will be released far too late in the acceptance season for it to be beneficial. Your fiance, her friend, should understand that the LSAT is the second most important exam of this woman's career (the first is obviously the Bar) and should want what is best for her friend. The detriment to the bridesmaid, if she were to postpone the exam, is far greater than the detriment to your wedding, if she takes the exam as scheduled.

Do you think she could complete it with enough time to be on time for a 6pm ceremony?
    OP already said that the test starts at 8:30 am and lasts up to 5 hours.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Ceremony is at 6pm. 

-Boxes-

They're only spiteful and lousy because of your attitude toward this person.  if you came on here and was generally upset and/or worried this person wasn't going to make the wedding, after committing to being there, you'd get some sympathetic answers.  If you tried to understand people's POV and take into account the bridesmaid's personal priorities, you would have received very respectable answers.

Instead, you ripped this poor girl apart to a bunch of strangers online. She's not even here to defend herself.  You tried to justify her past choices, her mistakes, and her lifestyle because you wanted validation.  That doesn't get your respect.   

How would you like it if someone treated your fiancé that way?  How would you like it if this "friend" was ripping your choices apart to complete strangers?  
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Viczaesar said:

So it will be over at 1:30pm-2pm if they get breaks.

And their ceremony is at 6pm.

I really fail to see what the fucking problem is.

Oh wait, the problem is that this couple seems to want the BMs to be at the back and call of the bride and help her DIY, set up the venues, do her make up, etc.

Just curious, what are the GMs supposed to be doing for you?  What are you, as the Groom, going to be doing?

• Options
    What do you and your future wife do for a career OP?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Sheesh, this thread is done. 

[Removed]

Good job acting like men. 
  • Options
    Viczaesar said:

So it will be over at 1:30pm-2pm if they get breaks.

And their ceremony is at 6pm.

I really fail to see what the fucking problem is.

Oh wait, the problem is that this couple seems to want the BMs to be at the back and call of the bride and help her DIY, set up the venues, do her make up, etc.

Just curious, what are the GMs supposed to be doing for you?  What are you, as the Groom, going to be doing?
    All of this. 

And since you asked, you have to be there at 8:30 am for the October date (most likely starting at 9), and the test itself consists of 6 35-minute timed sections (3.5 hours total of test time). There is one 15 minute break halfway through. So, if everything starts on time, she should be walking out of the test by 1 pm (9 am + 3.75 hours = 12:45 pm). Even if things run a few minutes behind schedule that still gives her plenty of time to get ready for a 6 pm ceremony. 

• Options

Ceremony is at 6pm. 

OK so the test is at 8:30am and the whole thing takes 4-5 hours. So she'll be done at 12:30-1:30pm. That gives her 5.5-4.5 HOURS before the wedding.

That's more than enough time to get ready with the girls.

Your problem is that you want her to work for you. And that is YOUR problem.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    You don't know my liiiife! I feel sorry for your husbands! Are we at bingo yet?

• Options
    edited June 2015

***removed***

....  What?

Not sure what you expected, asking for advice on a forum with mostly women.  
  • Options
    ViczaesarViczaesar member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015

***removed***

Not done, even if you are a smelly troll with a bike pump fetish.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards