Chit Chat
Options

Stupid risks

CMGragainCMGragain member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited June 2015 in Chit Chat
My DH fell off the roof an hour ago.  He was trying to save $70 by starting up the swamp cooler himself.  (Air conditioning)  He is 64 years old and overweight.  The ladder broke, the pail of dirty water shattered, the gutter on the roof broke, and he is hurting.  Aaaaack!  I just sucked it all in when I ran outside to see him sprawled on the cement patio.  I'll probably yell at him later.

What idiotic, stupid thing has your S/O done to save money?
httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Re: Stupid risks

• Options
    Last night my H tried to take apart his laptop to find a part that he thought needed replacing, thinking he could save the $100 labor fee for a repair. Except he doesn't know anything about computers and broke a few connections and lost another piece in the process of trying to take it apart. This morning he finally brought it into the computer repair shop and had to sheepishly admit to his foolish butchering of the laptop. The upside? Turns out the motherboard was dead, so he would have had to replace the computer anyway.
  • Options
    That sucks! Ladder falls often have long term consequences. That really was stupid!

DH tries to save money by doing everything himself. His current endeavor is that he wants to save on the delivery fee of the new gun safe we're buying. That sucker is over 600lbs. And he wants to move it into the basement with the help of one of his guy friends. This is the same guy friend who "helped" move a couch into our house and ripped off a door frame. Yea no. Not happening.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Pretend that he and his friends are professional mechanics.  They try to do things to his car (and his car only) and then usually muck it up some how so it just costs more in the end to get it fixed by a professional or it takes them 100 times longer when they could have just paid a mechanic to do it for them.

• Options
    My DH is that way. He'd rather do ANY household/yard-related thing himself. It took him a MONTH to install our new dishwasher. Worst month ever. How people survived before dishwashers is beyond me.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Last summer H told me to stand outside and watch him fix a wire in case he got electrocuted and I needed to call 911. 

The wire-- for some stupid reason-- was running about 2 inches underground through our flower bed and he had severed it with a shovel. 
  • Options
    My DH is that way. He'd rather do ANY household/yard-related thing himself. It took him a MONTH to install our new dishwasher. Worst month ever. How people survived before dishwashers is beyond me.
    He should have been doing ALL the dishes during that time then.

Fiance's parents' dishwasher broke a long time ago.  FFIL never uses the dish washer.  FMIL told him she wanted to do some research on them before buying; he runs out to the store and comes home w/ a floor model.  It sits in their living room for about NINE months before he put it in. 

I think it would have sat longer if it hadn't been for the fact they were hosting Christmas at their house.

It became a "coat tree" for a while- FFIL would hang is coat "over" it a lot. 

We called it the pink elephant- nobody would talk about it so as not to piss off FFIL.

Ever heard that saying that goes, "When a man says he'll fix it / do it, he will.  No need to remind him every six months."  Yeah that was this. 
  • Options
    I try to save money by doing things ourselves (aka assigning them to him or my dad) far more than he does!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    CMG- he's ok, right?

DH lets things get too messed up before fixing them. Because he can fix anything, he assumes he's got endless time. But he's inconsistent - his fleet of dying cars are in horrible shape. He'll drive them because he knows how to handle them but won't let me drive them. He also drives my car when he's got The Kid. Idiot.

He's also pretty casual with house stuff. He's gotten hurt so many times that he does stupid things like welding without enough protection. Drives me crazy and scares me.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot this one: on side of our kitchen sink has been cordoned off with neon blue painter's tape for 3 weeks now because that drain has a leak. Supposedly H knows how to fix it, and it's "easy" to fix, and the part "doesn't cost much." He just hasn't gotten around to it. 

So it's better to just have a halfway out of commission kitchen sink, I guess. 
  • Options
    My FI is the complete opposite! Trying to get him to do things ourselves, or buy the cheap version of something is a headache!

He has no problem spending money to not only get a professional to do something, but the 'proper' professional. I.e. Our Hyundai needs to get all its maintenance done at Hyundai.

• Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your husband CMG.

My husband does nothing to save money.    He is not handy at all, so it's just as well.  If he tired I'm sure it would cost us more in the long run anyway.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    When we moved into our house DH refused to hire movers because it was only a few miles away.

If I had to do it all over again, I would be yelling at him in my 9 mo pregnant voice (we moved in 5 days before DD was born) to say that I wasn't going to be dicking around with my family members days before the birth of our first born.
  • Options

Fiance's parents' dishwasher broke a long time ago.  FFIL never uses the dish washer.  FMIL told him she wanted to do some research on them before buying; he runs out to the store and comes home w/ a floor model.  It sits in their living room for about NINE months before he put it in. 

I think it would have sat longer if it hadn't been for the fact they were hosting Christmas at their house.

We called it the pink elephant- nobody would talk about it so as not to piss off FFIL.

Ever heard that saying that goes, "When a man says he'll fix it / do it, he will.  No need to remind him every six months."  Yeah that was this. 
    HA! That's funny.
    I'm lucky in that DH and I share all the chores so he's really good about doing dishes. But I was truly amazed at how many dishes we made just cooking for two. Or maybe it just felt like more without the dishwasher.

• Options

HA! That's funny.
    I'm lucky in that DH and I share all the chores so he's really good about doing dishes. But I was truly amazed at how many dishes we made just cooking for two. Or maybe it just felt like more without the dishwasher.
    I decided a dishwasher was a non-negotiable in a place I shared with FH the first time he cooked for me.  He uses Every tool in the kitchen for Every meal; measuring cups, bowls, whisks, wooden spoons, the food processor AND the blender.  Me?  I got really good at One Pan meals when I didn't have a dishwasher.  But then I can eat cereal for dinner and be happy, while he's a foodie and cooks me delicious meals.  So....
  • Options
    adk19 said:

HA! That's funny.
    I decided a dishwasher was a non-negotiable in a place I shared with FH the first time he cooked for me.  He uses Every tool in the kitchen for Every meal; measuring cups, bowls, whisks, wooden spoons, the food processor AND the blender.  Me?  I got really good at One Pan meals when I didn't have a dishwasher.  But then I can eat cereal for dinner and be happy, while he's a foodie and cooks me delicious meals.  So....
    Funny, last month I stop using the dishwasher.  I also mostly stopped using the clothes dryer.  Basically I only use it for our sheets since I do not have the space to air dry them.

I don't miss either.   I find washing dishes almost relaxing. It doesn't take long to wash.  I let them air dry, which up here doesn't take long.   I find I put them away sooner and I do not have dishes in limbo.  Meaning they are not just sitting in the washer waiting for a full load.  By the time I go to bed all the dishes are done and put away for use the next day.  When I used the dishwasher I would run out of bowls waiting for a full load in order to start the washer.

Same with air drying the clothes.  Before there would be clean clothes in the dryer or basket waiting to be put away.  Now I put everything away immediately.  

I'm waiting to see how it will effect my power and water bill.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    NavyBlue143NavyBlue143 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    H is super handy, and fortunately we have two good friends who are damn good mechanics, but it takes forever for H to finish a project. 3 years ago, H and his dad gutted the bathroom in our house to redo it. We got the shower retiled in the next week, but for 3 years we had a concrete floor, holes in the wall, and the crappy old cabinets. A few months ago H put in the new cabinets and new countertop and sinks. 2 weeks ago I called my dad and begged him to help H lay down the tile so it would only take a few hours vs. several weeks, because H overcomplicates things and will underestimate how long it will take to do something, plus he won't start until like 5pm on Sunday. All we have left is grouting the tile and reinstalling the baseboards, but it won't get done for 3 more months, I guarantee it. And when he is doing work on the bathroom, tools are all over the bathroom, the bedroom, the living room, the kitchen, and the back porch. He can't ever contain his mess. Oh and until he finishes the project, we're tripping over his tools. Right now the table is covered in tools, as is the floor around the table, and the table on the back patio has been covered in tile scraps for 3 years, despite promises every weekend to clear the table off. Ahhhhh! I'd happily pay someone to do this crap so it would be done. 
  • Options
    madamerwinmadamerwin member
    edited June 2015
    Maggie0829 said: Pretend that he and his friends are professional mechanics.  They try to do things to his car (and his car only) and then usually muck it up some how so it just costs more in the end to get it fixed by a professional or it takes them 100 times longer when they could have just paid a mechanic to do it for them.
    ---BOX----

My FI does this. Granted, he is a trained aircraft mechanic, so he actually knows certain car systems well. But instead of spending $200 to get, say, the alternator replaced, he will put it off for two months, then spend 10 hours doing it himself. He almost always successfully fixes the problem, but is it really worth that much of your time to save a couple hundred bucks? He thinks so, so I usually humor him. But there have also been times where he spends a ton of time and energy trying to diagnose and fix something, only to have to take it to the mechanic after all.

But in all honesty, FI is super handy. He really can fix, build, and/or clean almost anything. It's really convenient for me most of the time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    H asked me if I really finished off a pint of Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough last night. I'm PMSing. That was quite the stupid risk on his part.

I do this without PMSing :-| .... o_O Lol.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    So I mean this might be crazy talk but he should probably get checked out? Unless, of course, you're trying to save money. 

DH is pretty good, once in a while he'll buy a cheap electronic whatever that turns out to be an utter piece of shit. I am probably the more guilty one when it comes to schemes to save money. But they usually work out- I tore off the passenger mirror backing out of the garage, he was ready to take it to the dealership and blow $300 on it but I found knockoffs on amazon for $50 and it looks exactly the freakin same. Now I'm talking about refinishing some furniture and he's rolling his eyes at me- admittedly that probably won't work out as splendidly. But once in a while I feel the need to prove to myself I can do adultey things. 
  • Options
    Did you bother taking him to the hospital? Even if he was taking a stupid risk a fall from the roof can cause some serious damage. I really want to give you the benefit of the doubt that you were posting after confirming he was 100% ok, but somehow I doubt that.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

Hope he is ok!

H is handy and does a lot of work himself.  I don't think he has necessarily taken any stupid risks - well I see them as stupid from time to time but he is comfortable with what he is doing.

• Options
    Hope he is okay! Dh's grandpa fell of his roof last November when trying to blow leaves off the roof, also to save money and because he didn't want to bother DH. He ended up breaking his back in a couple places and being in rehab for a few weeks. He's very fortunate that's all that happened.

DH is pretty handy when it comes to minor electrical work and plumbing. Most things on domestic cars he can fix also. I'm always insisting we do things ourselves to save money. I can be pretty handy myself. I'm the one who suggests we change our own oil because it saves at least $40 between the two cars.

• Options

These are mostly pretty funny.

Before I even met my FI, he had removed his shower door because it had mildew. 2 years later, he is still showering in the upstairs guest bath. He is finally installing the new shower door, because I refuse to move in without a functioning shower.  

• Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015

Did you consider taking him to the doctor before yelling at him and starting a thread about it?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    Falls can be deceptive, someone can seem okay but they really aren't,  especially if he hit his head at all. Her description of him falling off a roof and laying "sprawled on the cement" doesn't sound terribly promising. My mom fell off her horse and walked home, and it turned out she punctured her lung and broken ribs. I work at a group home and there have been clients that have died because they fell and seemed fine and it turned out they had a brain bleed. You just never know. 

Plus I'm not seeing what's inherently stupid about going onto one's own roof to turn on a swamp cooler. He had an accident. Yelling and ranting wouldn't be my first instinct but then I'm not trying to uphold the role of stereotypical nagging wife. 
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Why are we all assuming she's a horrible person who left a critically injured man to bleed out so she could rant on the knot? I don't always agree with the OP but nothing she has posted has made me think she's a bad wife or mother.

Maybe because she had zero empathy in her post? She called her husband fat, old and stupid. So, yes I think that is pretty horrible.

And like we always say to newbs, we can only go off the information provided. She never once said if her husband was okay. She expressed no concern and said she would most likely yell at him later.

I don't think anyone questioned her ability as a mother.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards