Chit Chat
Options

Lunch

Our work cafeteria sounds bad today, so I'm going out. I need soup in a bread bowl from Panera. Plus a cinnamon crunch bagel for later. :)

I was bringing my lunch for a while, but I just got lazy. I really should start again because when I look at how much more I spend in the work cafeteria/going out, it = one cute shirt/week. 

Do you bring your lunch? Go out? If you go out, how much do you spend a week? How do you justify it?
*********************************************************************************

Re: Lunch

• Options
    We go home because we're fortunate enough to live really close to the office, and we let the dogs out. So we eat leftovers for lunch to save money. 

Sometimes we pick something up (because sometimes I just want a big cheeseburger or I need a fountain coke) but even the cost of fast food adds up quick, plus it's not healthy, so we (kind of) try not to do that. 
  • Options
    I usually always bring my lunch.  Since I take SDOs every other Friday I treat myself to a lunch out on the Fridays I do work.  I usually go to Panera and get the same thing, Pick 2 tomato soup with chicken caesar salad, side of bread and a cookie, so I usually spend about $12 every two weeks.

• Options
    DH and I usually bring leftovers for lunch. He has a great cafeteria at his work and I'm surprised he's not tempted to buy food more!
    Since I work at a university (where we still have to pay to park, and even then we still fight over spaces), I bring my lunch every day. I basically am trapped on campus unless I do take my car, and then I'm likely going to be stuck with a parking space MUCH farther away. Sometimes it sucks but it helps me not eat out as much. I pay $350/year for parking so that's basically where my lunch money goes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    DH and I usually bring leftovers for lunch. He has a great cafeteria at his work and I'm surprised he's not tempted to buy food more!
    Since I work at a university (where we still have to pay to park, and even then we still fight over spaces), I bring my lunch every day. I basically am trapped on campus unless I do take my car, and then I'm likely going to be stuck with a parking space MUCH farther away. Sometimes it sucks but it helps me not eat out as much. I pay $350/year for parking so that's basically where my lunch money goes.
    That is kind of shitty that you have to pay for parking when you work at the university.  It isn't like students who choose to commute and then pay to park, you are an employee who has no choice but to drive to work because you certainly aren't living in a dorm on campus.

• Options
    That is kind of shitty that you have to pay for parking when you work at the university.  It isn't like students who choose to commute and then pay to park, you are an employee who has no choice but to drive to work because you certainly aren't living in a dorm on campus.
    I know, it annoys me to no end. The thing is, I could pay TWICE as much and park right in front of our building (no thanks); or pay half as much and have to hike a mile in heels everyday.
    The upside is all the great benefits we have including 100% paid healthcare so I try to think of it as a trade-off.

• Options
    DH and I bring our lunches pretty much every day. I pack his the night before (sandwich, some snacks, and some drinks) since he has to leave for work long before I even get up in the morning. I usually bring leftovers, but sometimes I'll go in on a lunch order with coworkers. I also keep a drawer full of microwaveable meals, snacks, fruit, nuts, bread, and peanut butter since I usually need at least two full meals while I'm at work.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I work from home.  I would say 95% of my lunches  (weekday and weekend) are at home.    We are a 1 car family too and DH normally has the car.   

The only fast food type place is Wendy's and it's not that great.  And honestly it's expensive.  I got a chicken sandwich combo thing last month  and it was $9.   It wasn't worth $9 to me.

Now that it's nice out I sometimes ride my bike to Whole Foods which is less than a mile away and get one of their sandwiches.  They make a great caprese sandwich.  I can make my own "combo" by adding chips and drink for less than Wendy's.

I do like Panera's bread bowls.  I'm not not even sure where the closest one is located.  I'm thinking where CMG lives (which is almost 2 hours from me).

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I typically bring leftovers to work and usually make sandwiches for H. We each used to get $30 per week for food but I wasn't spending nearly that much (I get coffee at work - H stops for it, I also stash snacks in my desk while H goes to gas stations) so he gets $30 and I get like $10. I get out of work at 2:00 on Fridays so I stop for a sushi special for $9.35 on my way home.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I know, it annoys me to no end. The thing is, I could pay TWICE as much and park right in front of our building (no thanks); or pay half as much and have to hike a mile in heels everyday.
    The upside is all the great benefits we have including 100% paid healthcare so I try to think of it as a trade-off.
    A parking permit at the university where I work is about $1,200 a year. And we still have to pay for insurance. I used to work at a hospital where parking was $20 a day for employees. #Boston
  • Options
    bizzy592 said:
    A parking permit at the university where I work is about $1,200 a year. And we still have to pay for insurance. I used to work at a hospital where parking was $20 a day for employees. #Boston
    Yikes! That's rough.

• Options
    It's my last day at work today (hooray!) but my former coworker who retired last month is coming to take me out to Panera for lunch.  We have a great cafeteria here and the company subsidizes, so lunch is usually around $5 so I spent way too much on lunches over the 5 years I worked here. 

• Options
    bizzy592 said:

Take the T?
  • Options
    We only get 25 minutes for lunch, and school cafeteria food blows, so I bring my own.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I almost always bring food to work.  I assume I average about one day out per month; too expensive and on top if it, I have no idea what's in the food if I don't make it myself. 
  • Options
    I eat out because I need to Get out.  I pick whereever has the best seating for the weather.  If it's nice and I want to sit in the sunshine, I go to Panera or Corner Bakery.  If it's too hot and I want to sit outside in the shade, I go to Chipotle or Blaze.  If the weather is bad, I consider what had the nicer indoor place to sit and read.  I'd rather eat lunch than buy a cute shirt every week, so that's how I justify it.  We're doing really well with money right now, so it works.  But I'll probably start bringing lunches from home a few times a week this summer to put the money I would have spent towards my kitchen upgrades.
  • Options
    I try to bring leftovers from the night before for lunch. I've gotten lazy too. I think I want Taco Bell today.

• Options
    bizzy592 said:
    Yikes! That's rough.
    It is about $2400 a year at Columbia (where I work). Plus, you have to drive into Manhattan. No thank you.
  • Options
    arrippa said:
    bizzy592 said:

Take the T?
    Exactly. I'd much rather more on rent and take the T, than live further out, sit in traffic and pay to park.
  • Options
    I rarely bring in leftovers even though I should because they normally go to waste. I tend to just go out whenever I need to get out of the office which is often but as a dispatcher with no coverage it's hard to find the optimal time to step out without risking one of my drivers needing me while I'm too far away from a computer to assist them. I always stop for coffee in the morning and get a snack that will hold me over until I leave work but then I end up starving by the time I get home. I really need to bring my own lunch.

• Options
    DH and I bring our lunches pretty much every day. I pack his the night before (sandwich, some snacks, and some drinks) since he has to leave for work long before I even get up in the morning. I usually bring leftovers, but sometimes I'll go in on a lunch order with coworkers. I also keep a drawer full of microwaveable meals, snacks, fruit, nuts, bread, and peanut butter since I usually need at least two full meals while I'm at work.
    I'm glad you said this because I was literally just thinking about this a few minutes ago. Yesterday I ate a big lunch but then I was starving when I still had 2 hours left in my work day, so I ate a ton of cheez-its and some chocolate, and I was still hungry. I got home and ate a bunch of hummus and pretzels, and then H made dinner right away, and then I was craving mac & cheese but we got lazy and ate chips instead. 

Today I had a big lunch again and I knew before I even got back to the office that I'd be starving in about 2 hours. I was wondering if I was just weird, or if other people do this too lol 
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I always bring lunch. Pretty much 100% of the time it's leftovers from dinner. Makes it easier because I can separate it all out the night before for H and I and then just stuff our lunch bags in the morning.

I also keep a jar of trail mix at work to munch on if I get hungry. My office has snack food, but it's all pretty unhealthy and some of it looks gross to me from all the people touching it so I don't eat it.

• Options
    I'm glad you said this because I was literally just thinking about this a few minutes ago. Yesterday I ate a big lunch but then I was starving when I still had 2 hours left in my work day, so I ate a ton of cheez-its and some chocolate, and I was still hungry. I got home and ate a bunch of hummus and pretzels, and then H made dinner right away, and then I was craving mac & cheese but we got lazy and ate chips instead. 

Today I had a big lunch again and I knew before I even got back to the office that I'd be starving in about 2 hours. I was wondering if I was just weird, or if other people do this too lol 
    I have a full breakfast at around 8:45 when I get to work, then a full lunch around noon, and then eat again between 2 and 3. I snack in between too. I have a ridiculous metabolism. This morning was cereal, a banana, a pack of fruit snacks, and some almonds. Lunch was kielbasa and I'm eating watermelon now. I'll probably have a PB&J, some almonds, and another banana in a little while. Then I'll snack while making dinner tonight (a big salad with sliced steak).
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options

We host meetings/luncheons in the office often, and usually have leftovers. TBH that is most of what I eat at work haha. For example, we ordered 2 small lasagnas for a meeting a few weeks ago, only 1 was eaten, so the other was portioned up and froze. So now people can just thaw and microwave it for lunch.

Currently, we have rice stirfy, turkey gnocci and pasta primavera in the fridge. And some salads and crap. Still lasagna in the freezer.

• Options

We host meetings/luncheons in the office often, and usually have leftovers. TBH that is most of what I eat at work haha. For example, we ordered 2 small lasagnas for a meeting a few weeks ago, only 1 was eaten, so the other was portioned up and froze. So now people can just thaw and microwave it for lunch.

Currently, we have rice stirfy, turkey gnocci and pasta primavera in the fridge. And some salads and crap. Still lasagna in the freezer.

WTF? I wanna work where you work. 
  • Options
    Bringing lunch is part of my post-wedding re-budgeting strategy because I realized I was spending almost $200/month on lunches when I added them all up. So I just started this week.

The problem is that I'm a total foodie and I get really bored of standard "lunch" food really quickly and I often want something hot or I can't predict what I'll feel like eating. I get spoiled by deciding to get sushi, vs. salad bar, vs. tacos, vs. Indian food - all on a whim! Also, I'm used to lunch being the largest meal of my day so I never seem to bring enough and then I'm starving by 3pm. So I'm trying to adjust how we cook at dinner time so I can always have leftovers to bring in. Also, we get our first farm share of the season today so I should have TONS of veggies and can get creative with salads, roasted veggies, dips, etc. It will be a fun little challenge.
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I eat out way more than I should. . . . I also look at it as an opportunity to get out of the office for a few which makes the day go faster.  Often if I get a salad or a Moe's burrito bowl I'm set for two lunches which helps save money.  Today I stopped at the bodega for rice and beans ($2, yay)

I usually make more than enough food for DH and I when I cook dinner, and I try to bring leftovers whenever I can, but I know I should pack more from home to save money. . .  it's just so tempting to go out!
  • Options

Literally when people start, everyone is like 'we really like our food...' haha. We order so much food its crazy. When people start, they get viet, when they leave, greek. We randomly order lunch on fridays. We always order lunch when there's training or meetings.

Next week we have full day training tues & wed (lunch), and half day trainings on thur & fri (possibly lunch).

Apparently our lunch budget is pretty high for our region, compared to the other 2. Even though we have less people haha

• Options

Literally when people start, everyone is like 'we really like our food...' haha. We order so much food its crazy. When people start, they get viet, when they leave, greek. We randomly order lunch on fridays. We always order lunch when there's training or meetings.

Next week we have full day training tues & wed (lunch), and half day trainings on thur & fri (possibly lunch).

Apparently our lunch budget is pretty high for our region, compared to the other 2. Even though we have less people haha

The head of our department is super super super cheap. We have the biggest budget in the company, yet she refuses to spend anything on anything. 

Last fall we hosted the annual international meeting, so people from our offices all over the world flew in to be in all-day meetings, which included lunch. 

Guess what we had? The nastiest wraps I've ever had (lunch meat and some kind of weird sauce that made me really sick) and mini bags of potato chips. Wow. So glad people flew in from Europe and Japan all the way to the effing US to be hosted so well. It was embarrassing, and it also sucked having to eat that crap every day. (Yes, wraps every day). For those of you who were around for my crazy Jessica stories, she's the one in charge of ordering food. 
  • Options
    Maybe she gets a bonus for staying under budget? I don't think we do. If we don't spend it, it just makes the budget smaller for next year. May as well ;)
  • Options
    Maybe she gets a bonus for staying under budget? I don't think we do. If we don't spend it, it just makes the budget smaller for next year. May as well ;)
    This is what happens here, too. She just wants us to suffer :P 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards