Wedding 911

Bridesmaids are a nightmare!

Sadly, the hardest part about planning my wedding has been my bridesmaids. I carefully chose my 4 girls who I wanted to have at my wedding. A few of them expected to be chosen, & one of them even practically begged me to be a bridesmaid. This friend who begged to be a bridesmaid, has basically fallen off the earth with a new relationship & has not been there as a friend, or a bridesmaid claiming she's always busy (I think she should at least be able to make time to be a bridesmaid since she asked to be one). Another bridesmaid has missed bridal dress appointments & has also been a terrible friend since I had gotten engaged.

My biggest problem however, is I had asked a high school friend who I remained close with over the years to be a bridesmaid. She lives in Vancouver (& I'm in Edmonton, AB). She was so excited to be asked & said she'd for sure love to come. However, about a month ago, she called me saying she doesn't know if she'd be able to make it for the wedding (and her speech sounded very scripted & practiced), she was having financial difficulties & her boyfriend was expecting her to pay for his flight & she couldn't afford the flight herself, or the dress ... etc. So, I had asked one of my fiance's friends to be a bridesmaid instead, seeing as she has been on my wedding train since day one, even planning wedding dress appointments for me & being an overall delight. However, a few weeks ago, my friend from Vancouver messaged me saying now she thinks she can make it. I had replied saying I had asked someone else, but I'd love it for her to still make it to my wedding. Somehow, she did not understand my text & still thinks she's part of the party. I've avoided her texts & calls playing it off as busy now, & I'm not sure what I should do.

A coworker said to just leave the situation as it is, (since now I apparently have 5 bridesmaids & fiance has 4 groomsmen) & made a good point in case someone else backs out. I've also been super tempted to fire a few bridesmaids also.

Has anyone else out there experienced trouble Bridesmaids & how did you handle it? Did you lose friends over bridesmaids situations? 

Re: Bridesmaids are a nightmare!

• I've had the same problems. My maid of honor... just on point all the time, I dont have to worry about anything with her and shes planning the shower and bachelorette party, and still has time to calm me down about things I'm stressing about (I have no siblings to help and shes the closest thing I have and has been my best friends since i was basically born).

The other 3 are hot messes though. One is another great friend I went to high school with, but we didnt become friends until after. She's awful at responding to texts, emails and phone calls. She also hasnt picked up her bridesmaid dress yet and the wedding is less than 2 months away and they all need major alterations.
    The other 2: one is FI cousin and the other is his best lady friend. I've gotten close to them over the years and I'm happy to have them by my side. But if I send and email or text to all of them (the group of 3) I can only (at best) get a response out of 2 of them. Yesterday, I texted 2 of them and couldnt get a response out of either. Also, FI's cousin hasnt picked up her dress either. 

Sometimes you have flakey bridesmaids. It happens. I've learned to deal with them as individuals and I know how to get them to response if something is super important. And I did get all 4 to go to the bridesmaid dress appt which made the dress picking out super easy. Half hour and we were out of there.

Just learn each ones personality and it shouldnt be an issue.
  • rrrizzle said:
    Sadly, the hardest part about planning my wedding has been my bridesmaids. I carefully chose my 4 girls who I wanted to have at my wedding. A few of them expected to be chosen, & one of them even practically begged me to be a bridesmaid. This friend who begged to be a bridesmaid, has basically fallen off the earth with a new relationship & has not been there as a friend, or a bridesmaid claiming she's always busy (I think she should at least be able to make time to be a bridesmaid since she asked to be one). Another bridesmaid has missed bridal dress appointments & has also been a terrible friend since I had gotten engaged.

My biggest problem however, is I had asked a high school friend who I remained close with over the years to be a bridesmaid. She lives in Vancouver (& I'm in Edmonton, AB). She was so excited to be asked & said she'd for sure love to come. However, about a month ago, she called me saying she doesn't know if she'd be able to make it for the wedding (and her speech sounded very scripted & practiced), she was having financial difficulties & her boyfriend was expecting her to pay for his flight & she couldn't afford the flight herself, or the dress ... etc. So, I had asked one of my fiance's friends to be a bridesmaid instead, seeing as she has been on my wedding train since day one, even planning wedding dress appointments for me & being an overall delight. However, a few weeks ago, my friend from Vancouver messaged me saying now she thinks she can make it. I had replied saying I had asked someone else, but I'd love it for her to still make it to my wedding. Somehow, she did not understand my text & still thinks she's part of the party. I've avoided her texts & calls playing it off as busy now, & I'm not sure what I should do.

A coworker said to just leave the situation as it is, (since now I apparently have 5 bridesmaids & fiance has 4 groomsmen) & made a good point in case someone else backs out. I've also been super tempted to fire a few bridesmaids also.

Has anyone else out there experienced trouble Bridesmaids & how did you handle it? Did you lose friends over bridesmaids situations? 
    Asking someone to no longer be a BM is a friendship ending move. I agree with your coworker, you need to leave this situation behind. Also, agree with PP that there are no requirements to being a BM other than wearing the dress and showing up on time sober enough to participate in your wedding. I bet managing your own expectations of this will do you wonders and help you begin to treat your friends like friends again, and not just wedding pawns. I also wonder, did you ask your BMs individually what they could afford when it came to the dress or did you just tell them which one you wanted them to buy? 
  • rrrizzle said:

There is so much NO in this post, I don't even know where to begin.  Le sigh.

OP- PP's have it covered.  Just stop.  Have 5 bridesmaids, love them as friends, don't expect anything from them except to show up in their dress, and enjoy your wedding.
  • You know, I really don't fucking understand all of these posts. Your bridesmaids are supposed to be your closest friends. YOU are honoring THEM. It's not the other way around. These are not people you hire to be your slaves. They have no duties. All they need to do is buy a dress and show up at the wedding. That's. It. 

All I've seen all over TK recently is people complaining about their bridesmaids not living up to their standards, or duties or some other fucking nonsense.  And I can't help but think that after these weddings, these brides won't have very many friends left. And rightfully so. 
    Totally agree.  Take the wedding out of it completely - would you EVER treat your best friends this way?  Would you want other people treating your friends this way??  I know I sure as fuck wouldn't.  

• I decided to ask for any advice, not a bitchy reply... I am literally SHOCKED that I came on to a site to talk to other females in similar situations as I, and am getting nothing but negativity & bashing for asking a question & looking for advice, instead of people jumping off the deep end. I guess what should I expect from the internet. Sigh. I should hope you don't have any friends, since you jump up peoples asses so quickly to tell people off & belittle them for having an opinion.

When I've been a bridesmaid to many of the same friends, there's been a certain expectation. Clearly other people do not have the same expectations or standards. To ask someone to be a bridesmaid, & for them to accept, they should also realize they have a few expectations or responsibility to up hold.  & my friends should be honoring me... it's my special day, just the same as I honored them or will do the same for them when it comes to their special day. A bridesmaid should make your life easier, not more stressful. I honor my friendships, & I honor them. I don't feel as if I'm asking too much from my bridesmaids to show up to events or to commit to coming to my wedding. 

A bridesmaid, in my opinion, should have a few responsibilities. Like showing up to dress appointments. Or not picking fights. I have been very down to earth about everything, such as letting them choose their own dress & price point. All I've asked in return is for my friends to still act like my friend, & for them to take their very few responsibilities seriously. 
  • OP you did get exactly what you asked for which was advice. You just don't like the answers you were given which were pretty much all on the same level and not in agreeance with the answer you were looking for.

• rrroxanne said:

A bridesmaid, in my opinion, should have a few responsibilities. Like showing up to dress appointments. Or not picking fights. I have been very down to earth about everything, such as letting them choose their own dress & price point. All I've asked in return is for my friends to still act like my friend, & for them to take their very few responsibilities seriously. 
    Etiquette does not agree with your opinion.  There are no responsibilities for bridesmaids other than showing up in the designated outfit on time, sober, and in good spirits, going up and down the aisle, and posing for photos.  And it will not confer any additional "responsibilities" on your bridesmaids just because it's your opinion that they should have "responsibilities."
  • rrroxanne said:
    I decided to ask for any advice, not a bitchy reply... I am literally SHOCKED that I came on to a site to talk to other females in similar situations as I, and am getting nothing but negativity & bashing for asking a question & looking for advice, instead of people jumping off the deep end. I guess what should I expect from the internet. Sigh. I should hope you don't have any friends, since you jump up peoples asses so quickly to tell people off & belittle them for having an opinion.

When I've been a bridesmaid to many of the same friends, there's been a certain expectation. Clearly other people do not have the same expectations or standards. To ask someone to be a bridesmaid, & for them to accept, they should also realize they have a few expectations or responsibility to up hold.  & my friends should be honoring me... it's my special day, just the same as I honored them or will do the same for them when it comes to their special day. A bridesmaid should make your life easier, not more stressful. I honor my friendships, & I honor them. I don't feel as if I'm asking too much from my bridesmaids to show up to events or to commit to coming to my wedding. 

I don't know how much more clear I can make this. 

YOUR FUCKING BRIDESMAIDS HAVE NO RESPONSIBILITIES OR DUTIES. They are not there to honor you. Seriously - do you not get how completely selfish and ridiculous that sounds?!?! How old are you?

Most people here are not going to advocate for treating your friends like bridalslaves. You know who should help you plan your wedding? Your FI. 

I'm actually shocked there is people like you on this website. Like, literally shocked. You are a child. I had clearly asked for advice for people who went through something similar. You are just here for the drama. Get off the internet & go see some people or something. I'm so amazed that you are literally this much of a drama queen to start a fight with someone because they have a different opinion than you. YOU ARE NOT A BRIDE EXPERT. EVERYONES SITUATIONS ARE DIFFERENT. I ASKED FOR ADVICE FOR ANYONE WHO WENT THROUGH SOMETHING SIMILAR. I CAN EXPECT WHAT I WISH FROM MY BRIDESMAIDS. GET OFF MY THREAD IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY.
  • rrroxanne said:
    rrroxanne said:
    I decided to ask for any advice, not a bitchy reply... I am literally SHOCKED that I came on to a site to talk to other females in similar situations as I, and am getting nothing but negativity & bashing for asking a question & looking for advice, instead of people jumping off the deep end. I guess what should I expect from the internet. Sigh. I should hope you don't have any friends, since you jump up peoples asses so quickly to tell people off & belittle them for having an opinion.

YOUR FUCKING BRIDESMAIDS HAVE NO RESPONSIBILITIES OR DUTIES. They are not there to honor you. Seriously - do you not get how completely selfish and ridiculous that sounds?!?! How old are you?

Most people here are not going to advocate for treating your friends like bridalslaves. You know who should help you plan your wedding? Your FI. 

I'm actually shocked there is people like you on this website. Like, literally shocked. You are a child. I had clearly asked for advice for people who went through something similar. You are just here for the drama. Get off the internet & go see some people or something. I'm so amazed that you are literally this much of a drama queen to start a fight with someone because they have a different opinion than you. YOU ARE NOT A BRIDE EXPERT. EVERYONES SITUATIONS ARE DIFFERENT. I ASKED FOR ADVICE FOR ANYONE WHO WENT THROUGH SOMETHING SIMILAR. I CAN EXPECT WHAT I WISH FROM MY BRIDESMAIDS. GET OFF MY THREAD IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY.
    Well I'm "literally shocked" that there is a grown woman out there who thinks treating her friends like this is okay.
    Thanks for reading anything to help with advice, or supporting anything to do with advice. If anyone would have read my original post asking for advice, I'd be greatly appreciative for help. But everyone here is so quick to jump up someones ass to belittle other people. 
  • rrroxanne said:
    rrroxanne said:

To the first bolded: you are the one sounding like a child. Maybe you should take you ball and go home.

2nd bolded: treating your "friends" like servants because this may have been excepted of you from another wedding is no way you should treat them. They are your friends. If they want to help with things awesome. If not, it's your wedding you deal with your own shit.

• rrroxanne said:
    rrroxanne said:

To the first bolded: you are the one sounding like a child. Maybe you should take you ball and go home.

2nd bolded: treating your "friends" like servants because this may have been excepted of you from another wedding is no way you should treat them. They are your friends. If they want to help with things awesome. If not, it's your wedding you deal with your own shit.

I find it hilarious how everyone in this thread is so quick to jump up & say I'm treating my friends as slaves by asking them to show up to a dress appointment to pick out a dress? I'd hate to see what you actually thought a slave was. 
  • rrroxanne said:
    rrroxanne said:

1. not your thread.  Just because you started it doesn't make it yours.  It's public now.  It belongs to us all.
    2. Bridesmaids don't have duties.  When you asked them to be your bridesmaids did you list off everything you expected them to do, or did you just ask them to be your bridesmaids?  Because if you gave them a list of duties and they agreed, then (while this makes you the opposite of a laid back bride) they should fulfill their promise to you.  If, however, you just asked them to be a bridesmaid, then maybe they think like previous posters and erroneously believed that their only duty to you was to buy a dress and show up on your wedding dress and smile for pictures.  You can't blame them for not knowing what you didn't tell them.
    3. I agree with your co-worker that you now have 5 bridesmaids.  You do NOT need to have even sides.  In fact, even sides in a bridal party screams 1980s to me.
  • rrroxanne said:
    rrroxanne said:

I can't stop laughing. This is hilarious. You want your friends to honor you for getting married, and I'm the child? 

Go ahead and treat your friends like shit. Please come back after your wedding to tell us all how that went. 
    That's great that you're on a wedding site after you've already been married to offer people advice they don't want? Why are you on here? I don't understand... 

You're that desperate for attention you site on a site for brides-to-be & jump up peoples asses when they have an opinion seperate than yours? 
  • Again you asked for advise (that you don't like the answers of) and got it. I've lurkered around just enough to see who gives good advise which I think climbingwife does. You just don't like the answers you're being given.

I don't understand how swearing in a reply & calling people out is good advice? It's not that hard to give advice without swearing, truly, it's not. I'm super confused about this site. Is it a site for advice? Or just a site to criticize & belittle everyone else to make yourself more superior... I had no idea this was reddit? 

Of course I don't like the answers I've been given, because people are jumping up & down calling me out saying I'm using my friends as "Slaves"? WHAT? Is this serious right now? 
  • rrroxanne said:
    rrroxanne said:
    rrroxanne said:

I find it hilarious how everyone in this thread is so quick to jump up & say I'm treating my friends as slaves by asking them to show up to a dress appointment to pick out a dress? I'd hate to see what you actually thought a slave was. 
    I hate group shopping trips.  I do.  I'm a bigger girl and bridal stores don't carry my size.  So I get to stand there while the size 6 bridesmaid tries on all the dresses and I get to imagine what it will look like on me.  Also, I don't like people all that much.  If my friend asks me to be a bridesmaid, I'll do it because I love my friend, but I don't feel the need to be besties with all the rest of her friends.  So, I'd probably skip the dress appointment.  So, you have a couple options.  You can either ask the girls for their budget and any dealbreakers (i.e. I won't wear anything more than two inches above the knee), pick a dress under the lowest budget, and just have all the girls order it.  Or, you can give all the girls criteria (i.e. Navy dress, length below the knee to floor length) and let them pick things that are mis-matching so they can find something they're comfortable in and within their budget.  Don't get pissed because someone misses a shopping trip.  This is supposed to be FUN!
  • People swear and since this is the internet so if you don't like the answers or the site then just find some place else that will cater to you. Most of the ladies on this site give great advise to try to help people from acting like assholes to their friends.

• People swear and since this is the internet so if you don't like the answers or the site then just find some place else that will cater to you. Most of the ladies on this site give great advise to try to help people from acting like assholes to their friends.

Quoted for fucking truth.
  • adk19 said:
    rrroxanne said:

Again you asked for advise (that you don't like the answers of) and got it. I've lurkered around just enough to see who gives good advise which I think climbingwife does. You just don't like the answers you're being given.

I don't understand how swearing in a reply & calling people out is good advice? It's not that hard to give advice without swearing, truly, it's not. I'm super confused about this site. Is it a site for advice? Or just a site to criticize & belittle everyone else to make yourself more superior... I had no idea this was reddit? 

Of course I don't like the answers I've been given, because people are jumping up & down calling me out saying I'm using my friends as "Slaves"? WHAT? Is this serious right now? 
    Are you reading any of the other posts, or just the ones that are pissing you off?  Because I think that I and a couple others are giving you good advice, but you seem to only be responding posts that are making you mad.  I mean, if you've changed your mind and don't want our advice anymore, that's fine.  But I'm trying to put some thought into responses that might actually help and you seem to be glossing over some of them.
    Thanks, I am reading the other posts as well, & I appreciate all the posts (for the ones that aren't jumping up and down). I appreciate the posts as well that are saying things that I don't necessarily want to hear, & I am taking them all into consideration. I appreciate that people are taking the time to reply, without being an asshole.
  • rrroxanne said:

1) Bridesmaids Duties: Show up, on time, relatively sober, in a pretty dress, in good spirits, ready to stand beside you

2) refer to #1

That's it. If they OFFER to throw you a party, you can decide to accept. If they OFFER to assist you with something to do with the wedding, you can accept. You cannot: ask, cajole, demand, enjoin or otherwise request that your bridesmaids DO anything for you other than the above.

PS Look Ma, no fucking swearing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards