Budget Weddings Forum

I need some advice on finances...

2»

Re: I need some advice on finances...

• In my experience grocery stores usually have very affordable catering as well.  A year later, we're still getting compliments on our food, and it was $13pp. 

I second PP's about being cautious with the self serve bar.  Unless it's all bottled/canned beer and soda/water, it will be a liability nightmare.  We were able to provide our own alcohol at our venue, but hired 2 bartenders from a local restaurant for a few hours to bartend.  It cost about $200 but was so worth it. 

• Casadena said:

In my experience grocery stores usually have very affordable catering as well.  A year later, we're still getting compliments on our food, and it was $13pp. 

I second PP's about being cautious with the self serve bar.  Unless it's all bottled/canned beer and soda/water, it will be a liability nightmare.  We were able to provide our own alcohol at our venue, but hired 2 bartenders from a local restaurant for a few hours to bartend.  It cost about $200 but was so worth it. 

And as a side note, if you do hire bartenders, tip them yourself. PLEASE do not let them have a tip jar. Not only is it bad because guests shouldn't have to open their wallets at your wedding, but it's so incredibly awkward for people like me who don't carry cash. I used to be in the service industry so not tipping really bothers me, which means if your open bar has a tip jar, I end up asking close family to borrow a few bucks to tip or feel like a jerk for "stiffing" the bartender every time I grab a drink. Don't put people in that position.
  • Meeting with a caterer tomorrow, another one next Thursday, and possibly another one next weekend. The venue has a list of "preferred" caterers that I can choose from. I can get someone that's not on the list, but they have to fill out forms and all that... so I'm just sticking with the pre-approved list. I think I will opt for the bartender. I don't want my guests having to worry about how to use a keg lol. From the pictures I've seen from the venue, there were shots of a table with a bunch of bottles of wine and bottled beer with no bartender, so not sure if they require one or not, but the caterers I'm looking at provide one. 

I think I'm going to spread the new date through facebook/phone calls and such, and send the invites out early August/late July to give people plenty of time if they need to adjust their schedules. 
  • Won't this be just as costly even with the changes? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards