Chit Chat
Options

Any New Yorkers Out There?

I'm from NY and haven't been home since February (I am stationed in VA). Since then I have gotten engaged, and although I am driving up to the city- I take the Subway during my visits and keep my car parked at home. Anyway, my question is- do you wear your engagement ring on the Subway? I don't carry a purse in the city and I am afraid to take it off and put it in my pocket- I have bad luck with things falling out. Should I just leave it at home? I'm curious to know what others do.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Any New Yorkers Out There?

• Options

I would never put it in my pocket - if anything it would go on a chain inside my shirt.

I do typically wear my engagement ring on the subway, but I'm not traveling to the boonies and mostly go to populated stops in the middle of the day.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Jaslorraine22Jaslorraine22 member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2015
    luckya23 said:

I would never put it in my pocket - if anything it would go on a chain inside my shirt.

I do typically wear my engagement ring on the subway, but I'm not traveling to the boonies and mostly go to populated stops in the middle of the day.

I'm usually catching it in Harlem/Brooklyn/Queens during my stay and growing up I've seen some crazy things, so it makes me nervous keeping it on. I like the idea of putting it on a chain- if only I had one. I could go grab a sterling silver from Wal Mart or something.
  • Options
    I always wear my ring.
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    I always wear my ring.
    I'm asking more so for people who take the Subway and have alternative methods to wearing their rings, if you have any suggestions for that I'd appreciate it. Thank you though.
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    I always wear my ring.
    I'm asking more so for people who take the Subway and have alternative methods to wearing their rings, if you have any suggestions for that I'd appreciate it. Thank you though.
    I answered your question. I take the bus and subway every day.
  • Options
    Why don't you just turn it around so the stone is on the inside of your hand if you are that worried about it? I'd honestly be more worried about taking it on and off, putting it on a chain/then taking it off. I feel like there's more opportunities to lose it the more you mess with it.

And I'm not from New York but wanted to give my two cents anyway.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    sarahufl said:
    sarahufl said:
    I always wear my ring.
    Sorry I didn't clarify enough in my OP. I'm not comfortable with wearing my ring on while taking public transportation in the parts of NY that I do. Certain parts of Brooklyn and Harlem, etc. I have seen people cut on the train and robbed in broad daylight with everyone around. I don't want that drama. So I wanted an alternative to wearing it or suggestions on what would make me feel more comfortable.  
  • Options
    Why don't you just turn it around so the stone is on the inside of your hand if you are that worried about it? I'd honestly be more worried about taking it on and off, putting it on a chain/then taking it off. I feel like there's more opportunities to lose it the more you mess with it.

And I'm not from New York but wanted to give my two cents anyway.
    I never thought of this!! Turning the stones inside is a great idea, thank you!! I'm upset I didn't even think of that.
  • Options
    If you're not comfortable wearing it, I'd put it in a zippered pocket (I put my ring in my coin part of my wallet when the stone came loose), but I'd still be concerned about that item going missing too, or leaving it behind.  Otherwise, turn it around

• Options
    If you're not comfortable wearing it, I'd put it in a zippered pocket (I put my ring in my coin part of my wallet when the stone came loose), but I'd still be concerned about that item going missing too, or leaving it behind.  Otherwise, turn it around
    Turning it around is a great idea. I am horrible with leaving my things in random places (like my wallet). Thank you.
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    sarahufl said:
    sarahufl said:
    I always wear my ring.
    Sorry I didn't clarify enough in my OP. I'm not comfortable with wearing my ring on while taking public transportation in the parts of NY that I do. Certain parts of Brooklyn and Harlem, etc. I have seen people cut on the train and robbed in broad daylight with everyone around. I don't want that drama. So I wanted an alternative to wearing it or suggestions on what would make me feel more comfortable.  
    Then leave it at home.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KatWAG said:
    sarahufl said:
    sarahufl said:
    I always wear my ring.
    Then leave it at home.
    I mean...I live in Brooklyn and I take the subway all the time. I wear my ring every day and I've never felt unsafe with it at all.

Like other people have mentioned, I would be more concerned about moving it around, from my finger to a chain to my pocket, etc. I'd be much more likely to lose it, or drop it and therefore call attention to it, if I was moving it around. If you're really THAT concerned, then either turn the stone to the inside of your hand (except them holding onto anything with that hand becomes harder), or don't wear it.
  • Options
    I'm not a NYer but when I'd take the Subway I'd spin my ring around.   Granted, I was generally taking the N W to Astoria and not going into Brooklyn or Harlem but if I felt an issue that's what I did.

I wouldn't put a big diamond on a necklace unless I wanted it stolen.   That seems to make things much easier for a thief.

If I honestly thought that the area I was in was too dangerous for my good jewelry then I wouldn't wear it. 
  • Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    I've lived in NYC for 10 years. I take the subway and bus every day. I've been to nearly every neighborhood. I've never been worried about wearing my ring. Middle of the night, empty train/full train doesn't matter. I've seen people get their phones stolen but never jewelry. If you are really that worried about it it's safer at home then in your pocket. 
  • Options

When I lived in NYC (up until last year), I wore jewelry on the subways and buses.

I admit that there are areas of the city where I would not be comfortable doing that, but in those areas I would remove the jewelry and put it out of sight until I returned to the areas of the city where I felt safe wearing it.

• Options
    Turn the stone to your palm if you're worried.

But honestly? I don't know how long you've been away, but the subway is really safe. Even in Harlem and Brooklyn, where all the scary robbers live.

Assuming you're going to get robbed in these poorer neighborhoods seems ludicrous to me. Someone is far more apt to grab your phone out of your hand than yank the ring off your finger, if the police reports are any indication.

Where in NY did you grow up? I'm curious.
    Lol, agh I was thinking this too. Some places are obviously safer than others, but I have never feared for my jewelry AT ALL. Purse? Yeah. Phone? Yeah. That's about it. Anything that someone could grab and run is what will likely be stolen, not something like a ring that requires effort.
  • Options
    abcdevonn said:

But honestly? I don't know how long you've been away, but the subway is really safe. Even in Harlem and Brooklyn, where all the scary robbers live.

Assuming you're going to get robbed in these poorer neighborhoods seems ludicrous to me. Someone is far more apt to grab your phone out of your hand than yank the ring off your finger, if the police reports are any indication.

Lol, agh I was thinking this too. Some places are obviously safer than others, but I have never feared for my jewelry AT ALL. Purse? Yeah. Phone? Yeah. That's about it. Anything that someone could grab and run is what will likely be stolen, not something like a ring that requires effort.
    Do people really think Brooklyn=danger anymore? I mean, I might not want to go flashing my (relative) wealth around the Pink Houses at 3 a.m., but people are getting priced OUT of Brooklyn back to Manhattan these days. And not just to Harlem (a neighborhood that spans the entire width of the island and runs a good 40 blocks, so yeah, that sounds like a monolith onto which we should all project our fears).
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    abcdevonn said:

Do people really think Brooklyn=danger anymore? I mean, I might not want to go flashing my (relative) wealth around the Pink Houses at 3 a.m., but people are getting priced OUT of Brooklyn back to Manhattan these days. And not just to Harlem (a neighborhood that spans the entire width of the island and runs a good 40 blocks, so yeah, that sounds like a monolith onto which we should all project our fears).
    That was my thought too, and I'm not from NYC but when I read being afraid in Brooklyn I was like wait I know people who live there, I didn't think it was scary?  To be honest I don't know where the "scary" parts of NYC are anymore.
  • Options
    abcdevonn said:

I'm a west coast girl but I was pretty sure the hipsters moved in, took over Brooklyn and made everything cost several million dollars.
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    abcdevonn said:

That was my thought too, and I'm not from NYC but when I read being afraid in Brooklyn I was like wait I know people who live there, I didn't think it was scary?  To be honest I don't know where the "scary" parts of NYC are anymore.
    as usual, KatieinBkln says things I want to say, but says them better. FWIW, I ride the bus (or walk) across 125th street every day (ooooh, scary) and have never once feared for my diamonds. Or my purse, for that matter.

You seem to be living in some 1980s version of NYC.
  • Options
    I wear my ring, but if I ever feel like I don't want it shown or anything, I turn it over so the stone isn't showing. But it is your preference. 
  • Options
    I live in NYC and wear mine on the subway.  

I lived in New Orleans and would turn it around sometimes if I was uncomfortable or not wear it if I thought I'd be out late in the Qtr w/o all my "faculties".  New Orleans is a high crime city and it's everywhere, regardless of neighborhood although some were worse than others.  I was definitely conscious of carrying an expensive bag or wearing my ring.  I have never felt this way in NYC.  

As PPs pointed out, you're more likely to have your phone snatched on a subway.  
  • Options
    Unless you've time traveled back to when David Dinkins (or really, Ed Koch) was mayor, I think you're fine wearing your ring on the subway. 
  • Options

Unless you've time traveled back to when David Dinkins (or really, Ed Koch) was mayor, I think you're fine wearing your ring on the subway. 
    Thanks, I'm just going to turn it around. I lived there 17 years and like I said I've had maybe different experiences than you on the Subway. I have never been engaged before and I'm going back home so I was just asking the question.
  • Options

I grew up in East Elmhurst, Queens. I took the F train from Queensbridge and transferred to the 3 train to Harlem one day in 2004 and saw two girls cut a man's face when he turned his head- and they stole his watch and ran off the subway. Other than hoops, I have never really worn jewelry.
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    kvruns said:
    abcdevonn said:

as usual, KatieinBkln says things I want to say, but says them better. FWIW, I ride the bus (or walk) across 125th street every day (ooooh, scary) and have never once feared for my diamonds. Or my purse, for that matter.

You seem to be living in some 1980s version of NYC.
    No I've lived in the 90's and 2000's version of NYC for 17 years and you and I just have different experiences. That's all. Thank you for your suggestions.
  • Options
    Thanks everybody that were helpful. I'm just going to turn my ring so the diamonds are facing inward, never thought of that. Problem solved. I appreciate the feedback.
  • Options
    Dude, do you have a fucking 5 carat ring that would make even JLo jealous? Cause if not ain't no one caring about your little ring.

Even in the scary not totally white lower income neighborhoods.
    LOL, you couldn't be more wrong- people rob others for sneakers, I'm actually from New York and have seen it. But thank you... so much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards