Snarky Brides
Options

Bridesmaid proposals

Re: Bridesmaid proposals

• Options
    If this is how it STARTS...not a good sign.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Cute..

Will You be My Bridesmaid - Bridesmaid Invitation - Printable Invitation - 5x7 Invitation - Wedding Printable - Instant Download
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    My FMIL sent me this on Pinterest.

My sister did a cute-sy "wedding party proposal" with a gift box that had "He popped the question. Now it's my turn. Will you be my bridesmaid maid of honor?" It came with a Ring Pop. The Ring Pop was delicious. It was cute and sweet, but not my style.

This thing (what the FMIL sent, who is awsome, but this is... just no...) is like I'm inviting crazy from myself.

• Options
    peachy13 said:
    Cute..

Will You be My Bridesmaid - Bridesmaid Invitation - Printable Invitation - 5x7 Invitation - Wedding Printable - Instant Download

UGH- just no.
  • Options
    Ugh, these suck. And they all seem to very much convey the "will you be my brideslave and wedding sounding board for the duration of my engagement?" message. No, thanks!

Can people just have a conversation? Does everything have to be a damn production?
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    UGH. I hate these so much. Why is this a thing?!
  • Options
    UGH. I hate these so much. Why is this a thing?!
    Because AW. 
  • Options
    My FMIL sent me this on Pinterest.

My sister did a cute-sy "wedding party proposal" with a gift box that had "He popped the question. Now it's my turn. Will you be my bridesmaid maid of honor?" It came with a Ring Pop. The Ring Pop was delicious. It was cute and sweet, but not my style.

This thing (what the FMIL sent, who is awsome, but this is... just no...) is like I'm inviting crazy from myself.

If you make me read this much just to ask me a question you obviously don't know me. 
  • Options
    To be fair, I don't think there's anything wrong with a card to ask BMs to be in the wedding party. 

My best girlfriends all live outside the area. Ideally, I would have loved to treat them to lunch and ask in person...that wasn't really an option, so I did write them each a personal note and mailed it. 

But these cards are horrible. Just like @southernbelle0915 said, it's like a contract to be a bride's slave for the duration of the engagement. YOU MUST FULFILL DUTIES 
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    I'm sure these are spoofs.

But I'm not a fan of cards, boxed gifts, and other big "cute," "creative," "funny," "original," or "unique" ways of asking people to participate in one's wedding.
  • Options
    Oy. I'm embarrassed for whoever made that crap. I guess perhaps I was "lucky" that the week the wedding was announced I landed myself in the hospital, so almost all of mine came to visit (Fi's SIL has 2 small kiddos and a new baby and lives 2 hours from where the hospital is). Who's going to say no to a chick with a broken face and hip? :) Totally kidding but it was cool that my favorite girls showed up to the trauma wing with cocktails and wine (for them, I had the good drugs from the nurses) to celebrate and cheer me up. Of course the conversation immediately went to wedding stuff, and jokes about how they figure they're all going to have to wear pink. They all just knew before I even had a chance to ask. Otherwise I imagine the "I'm engaged" phone call would have covered the bridesmaid bit before I had a chance to buy a stupid card. I guess I just don't understand the need for all of the formality. Don't even get me started on the "jobs" list!!!
  • Options
    I think there are some really bad over the top things and really inappropriate cards such as the ones above. I did something like that, but I also knew my girls and that they are sentimental and would like something to keep and would appreciate it. All I did was print up some wine labels and had their name on it with just the simple "Will you be my ____?" They all loved it. No harm, no foul in my book. 
  • Options
    I absolutely fell for the Pinterest and took my sisters out to dinner to ask them with handmade "I got my man now I need my girls" cards.  *hides* but it was cute and they loved it.  

photo
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    I did do a "proposal" for my 13 y/o cousin. I plan on doing the big wedding thing once so I'm also doing all the cheesy, sometimes tacky, things I can right now. My cousin has also been bullied very badly at school and really needed a pick-me-up. Her box was wrapped in turquoise (our color) paper with "will you be my..." in silver lettering. When she lifted the lid, there was a black t-shirt rolled up so the word "bridesmaid" was visible. I also put in a rhinestone keychain in the shape of her initial, some bottles of sparkling cider, plastic cheap-o wine glasses, earrings for the wedding day, nail polish in turquoise, and a little pin that said "bridesmaid". Looks like just a bunch of tissue but I didn't want it all to slide around! She was ecstatic to be asked, and also loved all the little gifts. I'll probably do something on a smaller scale for the older bridesmaids when I do ask them since it's just a sweet gesture- they're going to be taking on a big financial commitment, the least I can do is give them some little gifts. 
  • Options
    jgrace8611 said:
    I did do a "proposal" for my 13 y/o cousin. I plan on doing the big wedding thing once so I'm also doing all the cheesy, sometimes tacky, things I can right now. My cousin has also been bullied very badly at school and really needed a pick-me-up. Her box was wrapped in turquoise (our color) paper with "will you be my..." in silver lettering. When she lifted the lid, there was a black t-shirt rolled up so the word "bridesmaid" was visible. I also put in a rhinestone keychain in the shape of her initial, some bottles of sparkling cider, plastic cheap-o wine glasses, earrings for the wedding day, nail polish in turquoise, and a little pin that said "bridesmaid". Looks like just a bunch of tissue but I didn't want it all to slide around! She was ecstatic to be asked, and also loved all the little gifts. I'll probably do something on a smaller scale for the older bridesmaids when I do ask them since it's just a sweet gesture- they're going to be taking on a big financial commitment, the least I can do is give them some little gifts. 
    Aww, that's so sweet. I don't know, I think these things are cute. No, it doesn't imply they have to be a "brideslave." It's just fun for a lot of people. Not your style? No sweat, I doubt your friends will send you one. But for those who do like this stuff, it's cute, in my opinion.
  • Options
    I think that was cute for the young cousin.  The problem with doing it for your other bridesmaids is that they might feel like since you went All Out, they're not allowed to say No.  So, I suggest you ask them in a Zero Pressure situation, dinner just the two of you, "so I was hoping you'd be one of my bridesmaids", let them check their schedules and budgets and get back to you.  Once they say Yes, then feel free to send them the Box O' Gifts.
  • Options
    I did something special for my flower girls and ring bearers (I had 3 of each, 2 groups of siblings). I read them little poems I found online and gave them flowers (a balloon for my little 2 1/2 year old ring bearer). They were all excited and it was adorable- especially my little cousin who had been asking me from literally the second she found out I was engaged if she could be my flower girl. 

My bridesmaids I called and asked. For my sister, we were at a family event shortly after I got engaged and we looked at each other and said- MOHs for each other is still the plan right? Nothing super special but they were still all really happy to be asked.
  • Options
    I hate the "I need you to hold my dress while I pee" ones, but some of them can be very sweet and make you feel appreciated.

When my best friend asked she did it one on one in a no pressure situation (she was pretty sure I was in, we decided when we were 12 we would be in each other's weddings and have been close ever since). After we had all said yes individually she sent us a cute box with mini alcohol bottles, band aids, asprin, granola bars, tums, and a hanger she made with our names on them for a photo  on the wedding day of all of our dresses. It was very sweet of her but she had the "yes" before making it a production. 

I did a "thank you" gift for the girls for saying yes, they are taking me to Sonoma for wine tasting so I got them each travel wine glasses, wine glass markers, wine glass covers for when you are outside, and word search books.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I got a coffee mug from Anthro with each girls initial on it and put flowers in them, then took them each out to dinner (or drinks) by themselves to make it more personal. I wrote a little card for each as well. I personally like the bridesmaid "proposal" (although I don't like calling it that). I like the idea of doing something personal for the bridesmaids. But I definitely don't like the contract looking card and things like that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    Haven't asked anyone yet, but I really like the idea of these. Obviously not the "brideslave" ones like above, but just a simple card, or wine label.. or even one of those balloons with a note in them would be cute!! I know all my friends and I know they would love to be asked with a little something special.
  • Options
    I literally asked my friends individually so there was no pressure. Hell, I asked my MOH in the car and told her straight up she could say no and it was no problem because we're all broke as hell, and she said she's down and wants to be involved in choices for venues and cake and all that, even though I told her all I need her to do is show up, look happy, wear a color as close as she can get to the right one, and be hydrated because I'm getting married on the beach while it's warm out.
  • Options
    At least use a ruler to measure your shit.  All of those words are crooked.  Bleck.
  • Options
    I like the cute little bridesmaid cards, but not anything tacky. My FSIL did cards that said "If I promise there will be no bows on your butt, puffy sleeves or pukey colors and you won't look like a big meringue, will you be my bridesmaid?" on the front, and then a personal note on the back, plus little gifts, like for me for example, a multicolored infinity scarf (she knows I'm into fashion).
  • Options
    fyrchkfyrchk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    I asked all of my girls first then found a wine label on etsy that had a wedding dress on it that was made out of "wedding words." At the top it has their name, then the dress, then it says, "Will you be my bridesmaid." Obviously I already knew the answer but it was on there. Then to make it REALLY classy, I put the labels on bottles of Boone's Farm. They all loved them and loved the BF because they wanted to keep the bottles and didn't feel bad that I'd spent a lot on wine.
  • Options
    I went all out.  I called up my MOH and said "Hey, do you want to stand up with me at the wedding?" and then she cried a little.  

Also, that first one bugs the shit out of me because the writing in the parenthesis part is going downhill.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    FosmohFosmoh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    To be honest if it wasn't for Pinterest i don't think i'd ever have even thought of a "bridesmaid proposal" i do like the idea, in the sense of making it personal.

I don't want people to feel like i'm going around asking people and if they say yes/no i'll just go ask someone else to fill the spot.

my FSIL already knows she's going to be a bridesmaid.  she was saying another wedding she was in they got a formal asking/bridesmaid proposal etc so i kind of feel like i SHOULD.

I do really like the idea of doing it just because i like the personal touch. i definitely agree with the comment above how if you REALLY go out of your way to ask someone, that it can put a lot of pressure on them to say yes.  and if we're planning a DW like we want, well that's a huge expense and a big deal you know? definitely don't want people to feel pressured. 
  • Options
    Not gonna lie, I bought each girl wine based on their favorite color/area/flavor profile and I did use the label that says "Will you be my b*tch bridesmaid?" partially because of my bridesmaids set up a group for me on facebook that says "K's Bridal Bitches" (not set up by me!) and also I knew I was hiring a full service planner and let them know my full expectations of them are 1) show up. That about sums up "duties."  

For the record, they loved it. 
  • Options
    Fosmoh said:
    To be honest if it wasn't for Pinterest i don't think i'd ever have even thought of a "bridesmaid proposal" i do like the idea, in the sense of making it personal.

I don't want people to feel like i'm going around asking people and if they say yes/no i'll just go ask someone else to fill the spot.

my FSIL already knows she's going to be a bridesmaid.  she was saying another wedding she was in they got a formal asking/bridesmaid proposal etc so i kind of feel like i SHOULD.

I do really like the idea of doing it just because i like the personal touch. i definitely agree with the comment above how if you REALLY go out of your way to ask someone, that it can put a lot of pressure on them to say yes.  and if we're planning a DW like we want, well that's a huge expense and a big deal you know? definitely don't want people to feel pressured. 
    I actually disagree with the formal ask being more personal.  In fact, I think it's LESS personal.  "Here, read this mass produced card I picked up.  It includes zero personal information and is asking you to do shit for me.  I hope you'll still agree to be my bridesmaid after all this."  Or you can go the Actual personal route and sit down across a table from your dear friend, share a bottle of wine and plate of calamari, have a personal conversation about things happening in your friend's life, Then ask, "Hey, will you stand next to me when I get married?"  You really think the big showy "proposal" is more personal?
  • Options
    I popped the question to my Matron and Maid and 10 bridesmaids in a little black box with engagement key rings inside they loved it! 1-2-3 let's do this :smile:
  • Options
    I asked all my bridesmaids in person. Then my sister (MOH) got mad it wasn't a "cute" proposal to I got those bridesmaids proposal cards on etsy and wrote a note in each one. My bridesmaids /bridesman are pretty low key, minus my sister lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards