Chit Chat
Options

So uh hi

Re: So uh hi

• Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    scribe95 said:
    I'm sorry katwag - do you have some insider knowledge that I don't have? That is how it went down. The catfishing was proven on another board. We heard about it. MI/VG posted as POG and KH/KR ran the IP's and they matched. 

I take issue with your previous post. You made it seem like the knot gods/ mods were the ones who figured it out. When that wasn't the case. Someone who doesn't post here any more clued you in.

But I guess it is semantics since KH/KR were the ones who were able to match the IPs and get her banned.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Are people seriously arguing about who gets the credit for MI/Vulgar being caught and then subsequently banned?  And are we really questioning why people didn't speak up?  It is kind of obvious that if someone spoke up and tried to call Vulgar out that that person would have been jumped all over.  Why didn't any of the "devotees" speak out about it on the boards?  Why did you keep it to your private group?  Seems like no one wanted to really say anything about it until it was proved, which makes perfect sense.

Why don't we all just be happy that a deceitful person is no longer a member on here and move on?

Yes, because this is board that has recently suffered a lot of issues with a lack of transparency among its members and the mods, which is why it's reasonable that some regs may have started a private board where such transparency exists. 

And, I'd like to point out, that the private board didn't keep that information to themselves. They shared it with TK, which is why TK knew to be on the lookout for an AE. 
  • Options
    redoryx said:
    Are people seriously arguing about who gets the credit for MI/Vulgar being caught and then subsequently banned?  And are we really questioning why people didn't speak up?  It is kind of obvious that if someone spoke up and tried to call Vulgar out that that person would have been jumped all over.  Why didn't any of the "devotees" speak out about it on the boards?  Why did you keep it to your private group?  Seems like no one wanted to really say anything about it until it was proved, which makes perfect sense.

Why don't we all just be happy that a deceitful person is no longer a member on here and move on?

Yes, because this is board that has recently suffered a lot of issues with a lack of transparency among its members and the mods, which is why it's reasonable that some regs may have started a private board where such transparency exists. 

And, I'd like to point out, that the private board didn't keep that information to themselves. They shared it with TK, which is why TK knew to be on the lookout for an AE. 
    I knew nothing about a private board. From what I saw, that board shared it with the treehouse, which is public, and that info trickled on down to here. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    KatWAG said:
    scribe95 said:
    Yeah, the mods are not to blame here. We suspected. We tried to prove it. We couldn't. We aren't police. We don't have special powers. We were on the watch and as soon as the IP addresses matched up we were on top of it. We can't just ban people on the basis of unproven suspicion. 

that is not really how it went down.
    JFC... Then why don't you enlighten the group, @KatWAG

Look, everyone was had by MI/VG. You, me, the other mods, the admins, MI/VG's friends... we're all in the same boat here. Some people suspected a long time ago. Some people suspected recently. Personally, I went back and forth several times.

And we couldn't just ban her for a suspicion that she might be catfishing. But once she started posting under PofG, red flags went up and we had a reason to be able to issue a 5th and final warning. And we were able to ban her AE, so that was nice. So now she's gone. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

Whoa I definitely did not see that coming from a mile away. Literally the only thing I ever questioned was "her" job becuase my artist is busy 12 hours a day and takes forever even responding to an appointment request. So I thought maybe she was the receptionist at a tattoo place or something like that, but never questioned the rest!

AddieCake said:
    I thought AEs were only not allowed if they were used to do something like this or to cause trouble. So if I suddenly log in as my Drunk Kitten account (if I even remember the password) from oh-so-scandalous Kitten Day 2 years ago, it will get banned and I will get warned?

I was wondering this as well. When I first made an account, it was my real last name and back then you could not change your name without messaging a KG, so I just made a new one with my other email address. I haven't used the original in over a year and never plan to but I hope to never mistakenly get banned for having it.

• Options
    KatWAG said:
    emmaaa said:
    KatWAG said:
    KatWAG said:
    @KatWAG - the suspicion was raised a long time ago. We looked into it and tried to prove it but couldn't. Sometimes it's easier to prove what someone IS rather than what they are NOT if that makes sense. 

And, frankly, can you imagine the backlash if we had banned MI/VG because of an unproven suspicion? People would have freaked the fuck out.

But Isnt it the mods and Knot Gods job to regulate the boards? Isnt that what you signed up for?

And the fact that you did nothing because you were scared is crap. Grow a back bone and deal with backlash.

LOL ok...

Did I say we were scared? Nope. What I DID say (if you would read) is that we couldn't prove it. So we didn't take action on something we couldn't prove. Do you have a problem with that? Would it be your personal preference that we had just been like "eh, she might be a catfish....go ahead and ban her"?

No you didn't say you were scared but I think its pretty clear that you were.

If all these people supposedly knew, why didn't anyone you non - "devotees" question one of her stories, or her lack of pictures? And then let it unfold.

I'm curious. You are basically saying that we should have stood up and said, yeah we think she's playing us. She may be a catfish.

Yet, you also say you (and many others) also had suspicions that she wasn't who she said she was, yet y'all said nothing.

Being a catfish is not technically against TOS. Creating an AE account is.

ETA: Our responsibiliy as mods is to monitor the board for TOS violations.
    Yes, exactly I am saying if you had your suspicions you should have said some thing. I admitted several pages ago that I was completely fooled. So, what I really don't understand is that if some many  people knew (devotees or not) why didn't one person clue everyone else in?
     edit: words
    Everyone being the forum as a whole? Or the mods and admins?
    Bc the latter was done. The mods and admins have talked about MI being a catfish. Research was done. As I have said, it's difficult to prove someone doesn't exist. I don't think it's right to warn the whole community unless you have proof or she is doing something to endanger members. Posting a warning of that type would be a personal attack on a user IMHO.

The catfish was clever with her cookies. In the past you may recall users being banned accidentally by an IP ban for a vendor - was that SarahWifeNow IRCC? IPs are not always computer specific. The admins have been watching MI for a while. I'm sure they are grateful for any and all help from current or past users that provided assistance in confirming MI was a catfish.

At the same time, I'm not sure that being a catfish is a bannable offense. The Bump's infamous catfish was a producer for MTV's tv show - my understanding is she was banned as a vendor.

:kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    KatWAG said:
    emmaaa said:
    KatWAG said:
    KatWAG said:
    @KatWAG - the suspicion was raised a long time ago. We looked into it and tried to prove it but couldn't. Sometimes it's easier to prove what someone IS rather than what they are NOT if that makes sense. 

And, frankly, can you imagine the backlash if we had banned MI/VG because of an unproven suspicion? People would have freaked the fuck out.

But Isnt it the mods and Knot Gods job to regulate the boards? Isnt that what you signed up for?

And the fact that you did nothing because you were scared is crap. Grow a back bone and deal with backlash.

LOL ok...

Did I say we were scared? Nope. What I DID say (if you would read) is that we couldn't prove it. So we didn't take action on something we couldn't prove. Do you have a problem with that? Would it be your personal preference that we had just been like "eh, she might be a catfish....go ahead and ban her"?

No you didn't say you were scared but I think its pretty clear that you were.

If all these people supposedly knew, why didn't anyone you non - "devotees" question one of her stories, or her lack of pictures? And then let it unfold.

I'm curious. You are basically saying that we should have stood up and said, yeah we think she's playing us. She may be a catfish.

Yet, you also say you (and many others) also had suspicions that she wasn't who she said she was, yet y'all said nothing.

Being a catfish is not technically against TOS. Creating an AE account is.

ETA: Our responsibiliy as mods is to monitor the board for TOS violations.
    Yes, exactly I am saying if you had your suspicions you should have said some thing. I admitted several pages ago that I was completely fooled. So, what I really don't understand is that if some many  people knew (devotees or not) why didn't one person clue everyone else in?
     edit: words
    Well, in that case your anger shouldn't totally be placed on the mods since many regs felt the same way.

But for me personally, it was not my place to accuse a poster of being a catfish when I had no proof. That would not have been fair to that poster, especially if it weren't true. 

• Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    Someone offsite is who made the connection between MI and PoG and then alerted KGs is what kat is saying. 
  • Options
    I am literally- literally- sitting at my desk with my jaw on the floor, lol.

I was totally had!  Wow.
    Same. This whole this is crazy.
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    @KnotRiley can you clarify the AE rule per my question (which I think is on page 4)? ETA: No, top of 5.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    Yeah, I found out yesterday that Magic/Vulgar was a suspected catfish when it was posted in TH. I figured she would eventually turn up here as an AE and reinvent herself. At first,when PoG posted, I didn't think anything of it because it wasn't a newb name and I said welcome back. Then the timing seemed suspicious to me, so I deleted it.

And on that topic, I know one of y'all has to be HGF reinvented. I just fucking know it! No WAY she just up and left for over a year!
    I always have an eye open for HGF, as well. If she's back, she's damned good. 
    Yeah. Although I guess if HGF herself was a catfish, one way to keep things easy for yourself is to spell everything British-style...
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    Yeah, I found out yesterday that Magic/Vulgar was a suspected catfish when it was posted in TH. I figured she would eventually turn up here as an AE and reinvent herself. At first,when PoG posted, I didn't think anything of it because it wasn't a newb name and I said welcome back. Then the timing seemed suspicious to me, so I deleted it.

And on that topic, I know one of y'all has to be HGF reinvented. I just fucking know it! No WAY she just up and left for over a year!
    I always have an eye open for HGF, as well. If she's back, she's damned good. 
    I'm hoping she got pregnant and/or a new job like she wanted and real life got in the way of knotting. :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    FiancB said:
    Someone offsite is who made the connection between MI and PoG and then alerted KGs is what kat is saying. 

I haven't looked at TH yet but some people post on all three sites so. 
    We still couldn't have banned her just because of suspecting she was catfishing. We had also suspected it for a while, but like I've said, we couldn't prove it. It's hard to prove what someone is not. Without proof, I personally went back and forth several times on whether I believed she was fishing or legit. 

But luckily, she was AWish enough to start posting under an AE right away. Since AEs are explicitly against the TOS, we were able to issue her final warning, boot her and boot her AE.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    FiancB said:

I haven't looked at TH yet but some people post on all three sites so. 
    We had our suspicions for a while now.    Just could not prove anything.  We were asking for a lot of IP checks for weeks now.  Nothing panned out.  

Honestly, I was beginning to think we were fishing to get MI/VG banned just for not liking her.    

The post on TH was just a confirmation of what we suspected.  To my knowledge  no one from the offboards alerted us that POG was MI/VG.  It was someone lurking on TH that saw the post.  ETA - that MI was a catfish.  Nothing about MI being POG

MI/VG was already on our radar.   We had already noticed that MI was all the sudden deleting old posts.  XXX was doing the same thing.   Random old posted were being edited.   (although to my knowledge xxx is not a catfish). 

Since MI/VG was already on the radar when s/he logged in as POG the IP alert popped up.  That was her 5 warning.  5 warning you are banned.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    @photokitty Hopefully so.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

I can't blame mods for not figuring it out. I certainly didn't. She was around over a year as MagicInk, FFS!

I maintain that it's obnoxious at best and cowardly at worst to come out of the woodwork now like, "Oh yeah, I totes suspected." I'm not talking about mods, who I am sure were doing whatever they could with their suspicions via back channels. As they've said, there's only so much you can do to prove a negative. But the 20-20 hindsight stuff is lame. 

It makes me sad if anyone was afraid of being jumped on if they had mentioned their suspicions. But fair enough. There have been plenty of times when I've seen a thread and said, NOPE, not today! What's not cute is mentioning that you had those suspicions now. I don't even know why it bugs me, but it does. Nobody gets a gold star. Nobody gets a cookie. We all were either hoodwinked completely or complicit in letting it happen, sometimes both at the same time. It's a shitty feeling, and one that can't be assuaged by saying "I had my suspicions."

As sad/pissed off as I am about it, I'm glad she's banned now. People do feel a certain amount of trust in this community, so it's always a shot to the heart when someone violates it so grossly.

For me, it's more a feeling of validation that that much drama wasn't real rather than feeling betrayed or anything the people who are shocked are feeling. I don't care if "I suspected first" or anything like that. I think thats what the "I'm not shocked" people are getting at. More an "oh that's interesting" rather than saying they have superior detective skills.

My own suspicions weren't worth sharing with the class either way. Not my circus.

I am totally surprised about PrincessofGenovia though!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Is anyone else creeped out that a bunch of ppl in this thread just casually threw it out there that were trying to dig up info on Magic?

I'd like to believe that none of you guys would actually doxx anyone, but I trust freaking no one at this point! ;-)

For the love of Christ, I don't care how badly I piss you off, let's just please keep it on TK.
    I've always thought TK members' abilities to find people online was quite creepy, lol.
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    lyndausvi said:
    FiancB said:
    To my knowledge  no one from the offboards alerted us that POG was MI/VG.  

BOXES

Sounds like KGs are being kind of evasive and non transparent again. NO WAY. HOW UNUSUAL. 

• Options
    abcdevonn said:
    Is anyone else creeped out that a bunch of ppl in this thread just casually threw it out there that were trying to dig up info on Magic?

I'd like to believe that none of you guys would actually doxx anyone, but I trust freaking no one at this point! ;-)

For the love of Christ, I don't care how badly I piss you off, let's just please keep it on TK.
    I've always thought TK members' abilities to find people online was quite creepy, lol.
    Most of the people I've at least found have their first name and last name as their username. And their names aren't like Jane Smith. Its more like Princess Consuela Bananahammock
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards