Chit Chat

So uh hi

Re: So uh hi

• luckya23 said:

I am loving how so many people claimed to have known that Magic/ Vulgar girl was a catfish and yet no one actually stood up and said anything.

I am not ashamed to admit that she fooled me.

And incur the wrath of the devotees? No thanks.
    Speaking as an admitted "devotee" (ugh. I liked her. I stuck up for her when I thought she was right. I guess that means I was basically a cult member), I'm rolling my eyes a little at that. I'm not that scary. Maybe others are? No idea. But it's pretty cowardly to come out now and say the only reason you (and others) didn't say anything was because you were scared to engage in a discussion on the boards about it. Worst case scenario, someone disagrees with you, vehemently, publicly. Best case? It spurs the admins to look into it further, and then you get to be extra super gloaty when those vehement supporters look like total morons for defending a catfish. Win-win.
    Cut me a fucking break with this.

Agreeing with a person on a topic or multiple topics or posts or multiple posts doesn't make one a devotee.  This isn't a cult, for crying out loud.

I agree *and* disagree with many of you on many, many things.  Doesn't mean I'm going to drink your fucking Kool Aide!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• KatieinBklnKatieinBkln member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    luckya23 said:

I am loving how so many people claimed to have known that Magic/ Vulgar girl was a catfish and yet no one actually stood up and said anything.

Speaking as an admitted "devotee" (ugh. I liked her. I stuck up for her when I thought she was right. I guess that means I was basically a cult member), I'm rolling my eyes a little at that. I'm not that scary. Maybe others are? No idea. But it's pretty cowardly to come out now and say the only reason you (and others) didn't say anything was because you were scared to engage in a discussion on the boards about it. Worst case scenario, someone disagrees with you, vehemently, publicly. Best case? It spurs the admins to look into it further, and then you get to be extra super gloaty when those vehement supporters look like total morons for defending a catfish. Win-win.

Agreeing with a person on a topic or multiple topics or posts or multiple posts doesn't make one a devotee.  This isn't a cult, for crying out loud.

I agree *and* disagree with many of you on many, many things.  Doesn't mean I'm going to drink your fucking Kool Aide!
    Sorry, I forgot my sarcasm font!:;)
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • emmaaaemmaaa mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    arrippa said:

I wasn't suspicious that she was catfishing but I was suspicious that she was a tattoo artist. I wanted to see her work so I did try to find her shop in AZ.

Unpopular opinion- I don't particularly care that she was not who she says she is. She was entertaining. I come here when I am bored at work so if I am entertained, it's all good. I do understand why people are upset and why it's against TOS. I guess I don't care too much because this is the internet and I pretty much take all posters here with grain of salt.

To my understanding, being a catfish is not against the TOS. Creating an AE account and using said account is against the TOS. The Bump had a catfish who was actually being paid to catfish by MTV which made them a vendor and being a vendor will get you banned.

ETA: According to @KatWAG, The Bump situation was not what I originally remembered.

@KnotRiley @KnotHolly I'm curious, is being a catfish a ban-able offense?

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    KatWAG said:
    emmaaa said:
    KatWAG said:
    KatWAG said:
    @KatWAG - the suspicion was raised a long time ago. We looked into it and tried to prove it but couldn't. Sometimes it's easier to prove what someone IS rather than what they are NOT if that makes sense. 

And, frankly, can you imagine the backlash if we had banned MI/VG because of an unproven suspicion? People would have freaked the fuck out.

But Isnt it the mods and Knot Gods job to regulate the boards? Isnt that what you signed up for?

And the fact that you did nothing because you were scared is crap. Grow a back bone and deal with backlash.

LOL ok...

Did I say we were scared? Nope. What I DID say (if you would read) is that we couldn't prove it. So we didn't take action on something we couldn't prove. Do you have a problem with that? Would it be your personal preference that we had just been like "eh, she might be a catfish....go ahead and ban her"?

No you didn't say you were scared but I think its pretty clear that you were.

If all these people supposedly knew, why didn't anyone you non - "devotees" question one of her stories, or her lack of pictures? And then let it unfold.

I'm curious. You are basically saying that we should have stood up and said, yeah we think she's playing us. She may be a catfish.

Yet, you also say you (and many others) also had suspicions that she wasn't who she said she was, yet y'all said nothing.

Being a catfish is not technically against TOS. Creating an AE account is.

ETA: Our responsibiliy as mods is to monitor the board for TOS violations.
    Yes, exactly I am saying if you had your suspicions you should have said some thing. I admitted several pages ago that I was completely fooled. So, what I really don't understand is that if some many  people knew (devotees or not) why didn't one person clue everyone else in?
     edit: words
    Everyone being the forum as a whole? Or the mods and admins?
    Bc the latter was done. The mods and admins have talked about MI being a catfish. Research was done. As I have said, it's difficult to prove someone doesn't exist. I don't think it's right to warn the whole community unless you have proof or she is doing something to endanger members. Posting a warning of that type would be a personal attack on a user IMHO.

The catfish was clever with her cookies. In the past you may recall users being banned accidentally by an IP ban for a vendor - was that SarahWifeNow IRCC? IPs are not always computer specific. The admins have been watching MI for a while. I'm sure they are grateful for any and all help from current or past users that provided assistance in confirming MI was a catfish.

At the same time, I'm not sure that being a catfish is a bannable offense. The Bump's infamous catfish was a producer for MTV's tv show - my understanding is she was banned as a vendor.

BOXES

This isn't true. I was the one who posted the bump drama on TK, since it all happened on my bump month board.

All the catfish drama exploded, then some random created an account claiming to be a producer for MTV's Catfish. That random said they wanted to do an episode on what went down on the bump and asked for people to PM the "producer" for more info. That person, and the catfish were banned.

ETA: the women who did all the digging on this found the true catfish and the person whose pictures she was using. She went so far as to post the catfish's full name and phone number (I definitely don't agree with that) And that woman was also banned, but I don't know if it was because she posted personal info or because the bump went nuts not long after this thread.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:
    luckya23 said:

Those "devotee" you are referring to and the ones who outed her.
    Truth. This has been discussed by many of the people you probably think of as "devotees," for well over a year. 

I want to point out that there's a difference, in my opinion, between a run of the mill troll (usually someone who got their nose tweaked and assumes an AE to stomp around and stir shit) and someone who "catfishes." A catfish isn't looking for revenge or deliberately on a site to cause havoc. It's typically someone who creates a very elaborate new self, and maintains that false identity. The reasons for this are probably many and deep and complicated, but typically boil down to this: a person who feels that their genuine self is not adequately interesting or entertaining or confident or in some way "good enough."

I don't want to publicly kick someone who feels that way. 

I find it sad. Because if someone is funny and entertaining and interesting as a persona they simply create, I would have liked the real person behind the false persona just as well. Probably more. 

And that's what I'd say to the person formerly known as Magic Ink, if I was to go all Mommish, which I often do. You were funny. You were entertaining. You made valid points, and brought up valid issues. I would have liked the real you. You didn't ever need to be someone else. Truth. 

Per usual Annabelle is wise. This is basically how I feel. I thought I "knew" Magic off board and enjoyed talking with her. Now I feel betrayed and sad and yeah, angry.
    I definitely thought she was exaggerating some stuff about her life. But I did not think she was completely invented. Some other community members were more suspicious, investigated, and figured it out. TK only banned her once the "followers" outed her. We agreed about a lot of stuff and I wanted to think I knew her, but we are not blind lemmings.
    TK banned her when the admins saw that POG was an AE of hers. The AE was her fifth warning and therefore a ban.

I saw the TH thread and thought, "huh - interesting" but that wasn't why she was banned. Any one of us here could be a catfish - there's no way for TK to know. 
    Aw grreat, now everyone is going to be out with their stakes and pitchforks!!!!!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• KatWAG said:
    KatWAG said:
    emmaaa said:
    KatWAG said:
    KatWAG said:
    @KatWAG - the suspicion was raised a long time ago. We looked into it and tried to prove it but couldn't. Sometimes it's easier to prove what someone IS rather than what they are NOT if that makes sense. 

And, frankly, can you imagine the backlash if we had banned MI/VG because of an unproven suspicion? People would have freaked the fuck out.

But Isnt it the mods and Knot Gods job to regulate the boards? Isnt that what you signed up for?

And the fact that you did nothing because you were scared is crap. Grow a back bone and deal with backlash.

LOL ok...

Did I say we were scared? Nope. What I DID say (if you would read) is that we couldn't prove it. So we didn't take action on something we couldn't prove. Do you have a problem with that? Would it be your personal preference that we had just been like "eh, she might be a catfish....go ahead and ban her"?

No you didn't say you were scared but I think its pretty clear that you were.

If all these people supposedly knew, why didn't anyone you non - "devotees" question one of her stories, or her lack of pictures? And then let it unfold.

I'm curious. You are basically saying that we should have stood up and said, yeah we think she's playing us. She may be a catfish.

Yet, you also say you (and many others) also had suspicions that she wasn't who she said she was, yet y'all said nothing.

Being a catfish is not technically against TOS. Creating an AE account is.

ETA: Our responsibiliy as mods is to monitor the board for TOS violations.
    Yes, exactly I am saying if you had your suspicions you should have said some thing. I admitted several pages ago that I was completely fooled. So, what I really don't understand is that if some many  people knew (devotees or not) why didn't one person clue everyone else in?
     edit: words
    Everyone being the forum as a whole? Or the mods and admins?
    Bc the latter was done. The mods and admins have talked about MI being a catfish. Research was done. As I have said, it's difficult to prove someone doesn't exist. I don't think it's right to warn the whole community unless you have proof or she is doing something to endanger members. Posting a warning of that type would be a personal attack on a user IMHO.

The catfish was clever with her cookies. In the past you may recall users being banned accidentally by an IP ban for a vendor - was that SarahWifeNow IRCC? IPs are not always computer specific. The admins have been watching MI for a while. I'm sure they are grateful for any and all help from current or past users that provided assistance in confirming MI was a catfish.

At the same time, I'm not sure that being a catfish is a bannable offense. The Bump's infamous catfish was a producer for MTV's tv show - my understanding is she was banned as a vendor.

BOXES

This isn't true. I was the one who posted the bump drama on TK, since it all happened on my bump month board.

All the catfish drama exploded, then some random created an account claiming to be a producer for MTV's Catfish. That random said they wanted to do an episode on what went down on the bump and asked for people to PM the "producer" for more info. That person, and the catfish were banned.

***BOX***

Says who, you?
    Is it possible you don't know all the facts?
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• luckya23 said:

I can't blame mods for not figuring it out. I certainly didn't. She was around over a year as MagicInk, FFS!

I maintain that it's obnoxious at best and cowardly at worst to come out of the woodwork now like, "Oh yeah, I totes suspected." I'm not talking about mods, who I am sure were doing whatever they could with their suspicions via back channels. As they've said, there's only so much you can do to prove a negative. But the 20-20 hindsight stuff is lame. 

It makes me sad if anyone was afraid of being jumped on if they had mentioned their suspicions. But fair enough. There have been plenty of times when I've seen a thread and said, NOPE, not today! What's not cute is mentioning that you had those suspicions now. I don't even know why it bugs me, but it does. Nobody gets a gold star. Nobody gets a cookie. We all were either hoodwinked completely or complicit in letting it happen, sometimes both at the same time. It's a shitty feeling, and one that can't be assuaged by saying "I had my suspicions."

As sad/pissed off as I am about it, I'm glad she's banned now. People do feel a certain amount of trust in this community, so it's always a shot to the heart when someone violates it so grossly.
    For me, it's more a feeling of validation that that much drama wasn't real rather than feeling betrayed or anything the people who are shocked are feeling. I don't care if "I suspected first" or anything like that. I think thats what the "I'm not shocked" people are getting at. More an "oh that's interesting" rather than saying they have superior detective skills.

My own suspicions weren't worth sharing with the class either way. Not my circus.

I am totally surprised about PrincessofGenovia though!
    "Not my circus" you say... What a coincidental turn of phrase... Or is it!?!

Is it? Ok...

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• luckya23 said:

Sorry, I forgot my sarcasm font!:;)
    I was just using your post as a springboard for my annoyannce.  Carry on!

• Okay, now another question - the Miley Cyrus account seems to me to be a reg that just switches to the Miley account when they have something Miley-ish to say. Is this an issue or allowed?  Just trying to clarify things.
  • Okay, now another question - the Miley Cyrus account seems to me to be a reg that just switches to the Miley account when they have something Miley-ish to say. Is this an issue or allowed?  Just trying to clarify things.
    The best way to handle a situation where you think a user is an AE, is to PM @knotholly or @knotriley

The best way to handle a situation where you think a user is an AE, is to PM @knotholly or @knotriley
    I've looked into her account, didn't see any matches to other accounts. She also doesn't really stir anything up or really cross any TOS lines, just comes in with one or two ridiculous comments then leaves.
  • Well I am shocked about all of this. I clearly am not on TK as much as I thought I was, because I never once questioned any of this. I come on for the drama and advice and then forget about it until the next time.

Anniversary
  • Heffalump said:
    So does this mean the unity cocktail was made-up, too?  [sad face]
    I've been to a wedding with a unity cocktail. Years and years ago. it was great.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Heffalump said:
    So does this mean the unity cocktail was made-up, too?  [sad face]
    That might be one of the worst parts about this whole thing!

Whoooaaaaa whoa whoa.  I am late to this party, but I was totally fooled.  Looking back on it now though, I'm surprised that the turkey baster story didn't make my spidey sense tingle even more.  I remember thinking it was a super weird story at the time, but hey, sure.  

I don't get why people catfish.  I think it's sad that people feel the need to create this entire alter ego online.  Also, I used to think I wouldn't ever be fooled by a fake persona when I watched Catfish... I guess I was wrong.  That was pretty elaborate, she has been on I think the entire time I've had an account, almost a year.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hellohkbhellohkb mod
    edited July 2015
    I feel sorry for whoever posed as MI. Why dupe so many people into liking you? Clearly if they had just been themselves a lot of people still would have liked them. I enjoyed their social justice posts. A lot of the other stuff that didn't make sense, not so much. 

No need to make yourself seem like this super cool woman with this super exciting crazy life who has all these threesomes and whatnot. It's just sad. I have made a lot of friends on another board I post on, some who I've met IRL and talk to frequently. I'd be sad to know some of those people were catfishing. It's just not cool.

ETA: To the people who talked to her outside of TK, I'm really sorry this happened to you. Really. Because I know that would suck kind of a lot.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• luckya23luckya23 member
    edited July 2015

Does anyone find themselves questioning things now? Like... if I didn't know I was real I'd think I was an AE because I don't post pictures of us and we've had some pretty outlandish things happen in our lives. 

I can't bold on mobile, but I LOL'd at "if I didn't know I was real."

Eta: I don't really post our pics either.
    Eta again : Except I forgot that I put one in my new ticker!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• It's too bad about this.  I liked "both" posters and though Magic offered a some good introspective into the LGBTQ community, especially since QueerFemme isn't around as much anymore.  But I also don't get too involved into the lives of people here, since it's hard to make connections (time zones, posting times, remembering everything, etc.), so it wasn't as much of an issue for me.

I do feel bad for those who had a connection, or for those who felt "run off" the boards by someone who turned out to not be anyone from comments made.    

• mrsdee15 said:

Whoooaaaaa whoa whoa.  I am late to this party, but I was totally fooled.  Looking back on it now though, I'm surprised that the turkey baster story didn't make my spidey sense tingle even more.  I remember thinking it was a super weird story at the time, but hey, sure.  

I don't get why people catfish.  I think it's sad that people feel the need to create this entire alter ego online.  Also, I used to think I wouldn't ever be fooled by a fake persona when I watched Catfish... I guess I was wrong.  That was pretty elaborate, she has been on I think the entire time I've had an account, almost a year.
    Honestly, that was the thing that tipped me off. Maybe bc my sister and her wife tried for 10 months before they were able to conceive with their doctor's help and actual AI (not IVF), where they but the sperm way up in at the top of your uterus...so something about a coffee cup full of spunk from the BFF, sitting on the counter with a "medical grade turkey baster" working on the very first cycle - just didn't add up in my head.

That one blew my BS meter. Part me me was going I was hoping I was just bitter that other people were shockingly that lucky when my sister wasn't, but turns out it was all just a bunch of lies.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards