Chit Chat

TMZ is Reporting...

Re: TMZ is Reporting...

• @luckya23 We don't have cable. We have Netflix, Hulu Plus and SlingTV, plus we split our internet cable and have it hooked up to our TV (this gets us the local stations, CW, and Discovery Channel). If we want to watch sports and the team we want to watch isn't playing on any channel we have access to, H will just stream it from the internet. Even with all of that (including our internet bill), it's still cheaper than paying for even basic cable. The only channel I miss is TLC - love SYTTD and The Little Couple. It's not as easy as flipping on the TV and scrolling through channels, but it's far better than paying a huge bill every month. 

I looked into sling, and you're right, they didn't have TLC!  Maybe they will add it someday.  It does get HGTV right? My company pays for the internet portion of my cable bill, so it would be a big savings.  They really get you on the cable charges after the first year!  My BFF is planning to cut cable, but she's much more series-devoted than I am, so binge-watching after work works for her.

I like SYTTD and The Little Couple too, but I'm not invested in any of their current shows.  It would be a good time to make the jump probably!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• KatWAG said:
    luckya23 said:
    AddieCake said:
    Cancelling cable as a response to your fave show (which included a child molester) getting cancelled seems odd. I think more people would cancel cable if it weren't pulled than if it were, but to each their own. 

I only watched the show a few times a couple years ago. It just never really appealed to me in general and I never quite understood society's fascination with them.  

I mean mostly it's the money aspect, and since that's the only channel I watch and DH doesn't watch any cable at all, it seems silly to spend so much on background noise, you know?  I never really got into the Netflix thing because you have to tell it what you want to watch, and typically I'm not so invested to keep restarting it every episode or whatever.

@luckya23 I am still waiting for you to explain why this show is so great. But in the mean time, let me explain to you how Netflix works.

You turn on Netflix and select a show (just like you do when using a remote/ cable) then you watch the show, if you want to watch the next episode, just wait 20 seconds and the next episode will start (kind of like how cable works). That's it.

And if you decide to stop watching an episode half way through, you just re- select the episode and it starts where you left off.

Its rocket science, I know!

And if you're feeling REALLY uninspired, you can use their "Max" tool (I think that's what it's called), answer a few questions about your preferences, and it will select a show/movie for you. 
  • I cannot even imagine actually liking them or the show.  Even before this, they were fucking creepy.
    DH would watch them. Not obsessed or even DVR them, but if they were on he would watch.    It was like watching a train wreck.   Not normal. 

It did get me interested in the freejinger forums.  There are a lot of ex-fundies on the site that gives a lot of insight into their strange world.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I know I used to watch it some a few years ago, just like I liked watching shows about the Amish or Mennonites... it's interesting, even if it is a bit weird to me.  It was more when it was first on though, and centered more around how the hell they feed all those kids and keep the house clean and all that.  It got boring when it was just episodes about their outings, or how they like to hang out with the Bates family.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • luckya23 said:
    @luckya23 We don't have cable. We have Netflix, Hulu Plus and SlingTV, plus we split our internet cable and have it hooked up to our TV (this gets us the local stations, CW, and Discovery Channel). If we want to watch sports and the team we want to watch isn't playing on any channel we have access to, H will just stream it from the internet. Even with all of that (including our internet bill), it's still cheaper than paying for even basic cable. The only channel I miss is TLC - love SYTTD and The Little Couple. It's not as easy as flipping on the TV and scrolling through channels, but it's far better than paying a huge bill every month. 

I looked into sling, and you're right, they didn't have TLC!  Maybe they will add it someday.  It does get HGTV right? My company pays for the internet portion of my cable bill, so it would be a big savings.  They really get you on the cable charges after the first year!  My BFF is planning to cut cable, but she's much more series-devoted than I am, so binge-watching after work works for her.

I like SYTTD and The Little Couple too, but I'm not invested in any of their current shows.  It would be a good time to make the jump probably!

I'm hoping they add TLC in the future. Besides YES for Yankees baseball, it's the only channel I really miss. They do carry HGTV (which I've now become addicted to)

For anyone that's interested and considering cutting cable, Sling is pretty great and only $20 a month - no contract and there's a bunch of cable channels (including ESPN and ESPN 2), plus there's add-on packages with additional sports channels and kids channels.
  • abcdevonn said:
    KatWAG said:
    luckya23 said:
    AddieCake said:
    Cancelling cable as a response to your fave show (which included a child molester) getting cancelled seems odd. I think more people would cancel cable if it weren't pulled than if it were, but to each their own. 

I only watched the show a few times a couple years ago. It just never really appealed to me in general and I never quite understood society's fascination with them.  

I mean mostly it's the money aspect, and since that's the only channel I watch and DH doesn't watch any cable at all, it seems silly to spend so much on background noise, you know?  I never really got into the Netflix thing because you have to tell it what you want to watch, and typically I'm not so invested to keep restarting it every episode or whatever.

@luckya23 I am still waiting for you to explain why this show is so great. But in the mean time, let me explain to you how Netflix works.

You turn on Netflix and select a show (just like you do when using a remote/ cable) then you watch the show, if you want to watch the next episode, just wait 20 seconds and the next episode will start (kind of like how cable works). That's it.

And if you decide to stop watching an episode half way through, you just re- select the episode and it starts where you left off.

And if you're feeling REALLY uninspired, you can use their "Max" tool (I think that's what it's called), answer a few questions about your preferences, and it will select a show/movie for you. 

We only recently got Netflix again when OITNB started up.  My office tv is not internet connected, though.  We never even had cable boxes or HDTV!  Just the wire from the wall, 70 channels or so.  So we're like TV-lite in this house, everyone makes fun of us for not having DVR or anything.  And it's still too expensive for what you get!

@Lyndausvi - I about choked on the $42/mo!

• I'm loving Netflix b/c there are some old shows I never watched and am now getting into (Revenge is my current favorite), and they have some good originals, too. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Netflix is my lifesaver at work.  I just finished watching Once Upon a Time (the 4th season needs to come out already!) and now I am on the second season of Grey's Anatomy.

• luckya23 said:
    abcdevonn said:
    KatWAG said:
    luckya23 said:
    AddieCake said:

We only recently got Netflix again when OITNB started up.  My office tv is not internet connected, though.  We never even had cable boxes or HDTV!  Just the wire from the wall, 70 channels or so.  So we're like TV-lite in this house, everyone makes fun of us for not having DVR or anything.  And it's still too expensive for what you get!

@Lyndausvi - I about choked on the $42/mo!

trust me, so did I when I saw the cost.  Last year it was free for being a new subscriber.   It's just not a hill worth dying on for me.   It's coming on out of DH's fun  money.

Both our teams are east coast and we live closer to the west coast.  Unless they play on Thursday, Sunday or Monday nights, we do not get the feed for either team very often.    We did watch it all but the 2 weeks we were in vacation.  So it does get watched.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Netflix is my lifesaver at work.  I just finished watching Once Upon a Time (the 4th season needs to come out already!) and now I am on the second season of Grey's Anatomy.

I just started watching Scandal on Netflix. OUAT is my next series to watch on it.
  • luckya23luckya23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    I know I used to watch it some a few years ago, just like I liked watching shows about the Amish or Mennonites... it's interesting, even if it is a bit weird to me.  It was more when it was first on though, and centered more around how the hell they feed all those kids and keep the house clean and all that.  It got boring when it was just episodes about their outings, or how they like to hang out with the Bates family.  

And all the polygamists!  Which reminds me, I also have 1 more season of Big Love to finish up... but that's a show I watch with DH, not "while I work knot".

• I used to really like 16 kids and counting. I didn't know much about their faith and the early shows downplayed the aspects that I find troubling. I'm certainly not sad they're taking it off the air though- I'd rather have never supported them knowing what I do now.
  • I am assuming that @luckya23 enjoyed watching the show because she thought the family was interesting (the rules they follow, etc) and liked watching the kids grow up.  I doubt she watched it because she is pro-child molesting.  People can enjoy shows that others may not like.  It doesn't make it wrong and it doesn't make them a bad person.

I would watch it from time to time myself.  The fact that they weren't a "normal" family intrigued me.  Did I agree with their lifestyle?  No.  But it was interesting to see how other people lived.  That is why reality tv is so damn popular.

BOX

Agree with this. People are perfectly capable of watching something, enjoying something, doing something, without agreeing with every single thing that happens. You can be a Democrat and like Bill Clinton's politics without endorsing the whole Monica Lewinsky thing, right? I can dislike Obama's politics without being a racist, right?  I can go to Christmas Mass and still support gay marriage, can't I?

I watched the Duggars every once in awhile because they are different, and things that are different are often interesting to me. I watch Dance Moms religiously but don't endorse screaming at young children. 
    I used to love the Cosby show when I was a kid. There was a re-run on tv the other day so I watched it. The show was funny, and Clare was a badass. 

Do I endorse what he did to those women? No. It's fucking awful. Beyond awful. 
    Pretty sure nobody from IT monitors my internet usage because all I have been doing lately is watching Bones at work.

Like, all day long.
  • sarahufl said:
    Netflix is my lifesaver at work.  I just finished watching Once Upon a Time (the 4th season needs to come out already!) and now I am on the second season of Grey's Anatomy.
    Pretty sure nobody from IT monitors my internet usage because all I have been doing lately is watching Bones at work.

Like, all day long.
    Ditto this, but because I spend a stupid amount of time on TK. And sometimes Amazon. 
  • sarahufl said:
    Netflix is my lifesaver at work.  I just finished watching Once Upon a Time (the 4th season needs to come out already!) and now I am on the second season of Grey's Anatomy.

Like, all day long.
    If IT is monitoring my usage well then they just must not care or understand LOL!

I love Bones too!  But then again I love tv.

• I don't give a shit what anyone wants to watch on TV, but I think it's this part that is kind of bothering people:

luckya23 said:
    19 Kids was literally my favorite show though, and I'd kind of like to cancel on principle!

Cancelling your cable because they cancelled your favorite tv show that happened to be about a family that harbored a known sex offender and obstructed the investigation? Really?
    Agreed. "Oh, I used to really like that show, but I understand why it's inappropriate to hold the family up as role models in light of recent revelations" is WAY different than "TLC is wrong for cancelling this show and I'm cancelling my whole cable because of it!"
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• sarahufl said:

Like, all day long.
    If IT is monitoring my usage well then they just must not care or understand LOL!

I love Bones too!  But then again I love tv.
    I forgot how annoying it was for SO MANY YEARS that they didn't hook up!
  • I don't think I could cancel out TV.  I like being able to PVR and watch when I want.  I could live stream most of our shows too, but they drop them after a couple of weeks for the newer ones, and we'd end up falling behind.  

DH downloads stuff we want, and my Brother gave us access to his Netflix, but we have yet to watch anything on it cos every time we go look for something specific we want to watch, Netflix doesn't have it.  We're not impressed with it so far.  (I think Canadian Netflix is different in terms of content for the American one though)

• It was about time that they cancelled.  I'll admit I saw it from time to time but man were they creepy.   

And we got rid of cable a year ago and our ISP just started blocking channels about 2 months ago.   We have Netflix and an antenna and watch sports on basic networks.   It's not fantastic but we lost YES a year ago (the reason we cancelled cable in the first place) and just can't rationalize the huge monthly cost even though I miss my boys in pinstripes. 
  • banana468 said:
    It was about time that they cancelled.  I'll admit I saw it from time to time but man were they creepy.   

And we got rid of cable a year ago and our ISP just started blocking channels about 2 months ago.   We have Netflix and an antenna and watch sports on basic networks.   It's not fantastic but we lost YES a year ago (the reason we cancelled cable in the first place) and just can't rationalize the huge monthly cost even though I miss my boys in pinstripes. 
    YES was the only reason we got cable in the first place. When I was doing consulting work, I watched every single day game and most of the night games (I try to avoid games broadcast on FOX or ESPN, I'd rather listen to Sterling than those other morons). It was magical.
    ~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards