Chit Chat

So uh hi

Re: So uh hi

• TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    arrippa said:

It's great that you're able and willing to do all of those things to accommodate your vision impairment! Other people are not as internet-savvy or capable as you. The Knot
    is quite difficult to read on it's own. Wouldn't it be great if you didn't have to do all of that extra work just to use websites like TK? Yeah, it would. This is where internet accessibility stems from, because it is very limiting to people who have vision impairment of any kind. And I'd hate to point it out to you, but there are people with much more significant impairments than the ones you describe, who would be wholly unable to perform the tasks you do. 

This is precisely about inclusion and providing equal access to everyone. I didn't make up the guidelines for accessible websites, but I do my best to follow them because it is not that difficult. If being aware of and doing my best to follow these simple guidelines makes it easier for people to access information, take part in conversations, and otherwise use the internet, then I don't see the problem. 

It's probably slightly disconcerting to hear that you might be ableist, but hey, at least you know it's something you can work on.

I hear the Wedding Wire website is much easier to read.

BOX

No. I'm not fucking "ableist." Not even close. 
    I'm the mother of a child with multiple disabilities, I've dealt with actual real issues of ableism and exclusion and bullying, and I don't  apply any of those words incorrectly when it suits me, to score points in an argument.  Anybody that thinks I'm an ableist can fuck off, pull the self righteous stick of ignorant babble out of their ass, and use it to beat some actual common sense into their own heads. Only a real asshole would falsely use other people's actual real life issues to score fake argument points. 

Because actual real ableism and exclusion is real, and terrible. I've spent 19 years of my life dealing with it. So take your insulting and ignorant bullshit to someone who'll swallow it. You're playing with words you don't understand. 

And when people do use those words incorrectly, and apply them inappropriately, it detracts from the actual valid issues. 

I also don't need anyone to point out that there are people with more extreme sight impairment than mine. No shit, genius?  

*******BOX******PRETEND**I'M**A****BOX*****************
    ^^What she said x100!

ETA: Fucking Box
  • edited July 2015

ohannabelle said: arrippa said:
      It's great that you're able and willing to do all of those things to accommodate your vision impairment! Other people are not as internet-savvy or capable as you. The Knot
    is quite difficult to read on it's own. Wouldn't it be great if you didn't have to do all of that extra work just to use websites like TK? Yeah, it would. This is where internet accessibility stems from, because it is very limiting to people who have vision impairment of any kind. And I'd hate to point it out to you, but there are people with much more significant impairments than the ones you describe, who would be wholly unable to perform the tasks you do. 
    This is precisely about inclusion and providing equal access to everyone. I didn't make up the guidelines for accessible websites, but I do my best to follow them because it is not that difficult. If being aware of and doing my best to follow these simple guidelines makes it easier for people to access information, take part in conversations, and otherwise use the internet, then I don't see the problem. 
    It's probably slightly disconcerting to hear that you might be ableist, but hey, at least you know it's something you can work on.  

BOX

No. I'm not fucking "ableist." Not even close. I'm the mother of a child with multiple disabilities, I've dealt with actual real issues of ableism and exclusion and bullying, and I don't  apply any of those words incorrectly when it suits me, to score points in an argument.  Anybody that thinks I'm an ableist can fuck off, pull the self righteous stick of ignorant babble out of their ass, and use it to beat some actual common sense into their own heads. Only a real asshole would falsely use other people's actual real life issues to score fake argument points. 
    Because actual real ableism and exclusion is real, and terrible. I've spent 19 years of my life dealing with it. So take your insulting and ignorant bullshit to someone who'll swallow it. You're playing with words you don't understand. 
    And when people do use those words incorrectly, and apply them inappropriately, it detracts from the actual valid issues. 
    I also don't need anyone to point out that there are people with more extreme sight impairment than mine. No shit, genius?  

ETA: BOXES

Vision impairment
    is a real issue. You, yourself, made that clear when you described everything you do to use the internet. You shouldn't have to do that! I'm not trying to "score points in an argument." I am trying to understand why no one thinks it might be a good idea to use a different color font. Obviously, it's really perfectly fine if you don't want to. People can do whatever the heck they want. But when everyone jumps on a poster for saying that a color is hard to read, it is a little strange. I get that she is not the most well-loved, but some of the comments were just cruel. You do you. I am in no way trying to devalue the term "ableism," but like many of the other "-ism" words, it comes in all shapes and sizes, in big and subtle ways. Like you said, you see it all the time, and that is really awful.
  • edited July 2015
    abcdevonn said:
    arrippa said:

BOX

I'm the mother of a child with multiple disabilities, I've dealt with actual real issues of ableism and exclusion and bullying, and I don't  apply any of those words incorrectly when it suits me, to score points in an argument.  Anybody that thinks I'm an ableist can fuck off, pull the self righteous stick of ignorant babble out of their ass, and use it to beat some actual common sense into their own heads. Only a real asshole would falsely use other people's actual real life issues to score fake argument points. 

Vision impairment is a real issue. You, yourself, made that clear when you described everything you do to use the internet. You shouldn't have to do that! I'm not trying to "score points in an argument." I am trying to understand why no one thinks it might be a good idea to use a different color font. Obviously, it's really perfectly fine if you don't want to. People can do whatever the heck they want. But when everyone jumps on a poster for saying that a color is hard to read, it is a little strange. I get that she is not the most well-loved, but some of the comments were just cruel. You do you. I am in no way trying to devalue the term "ableism," but like many of the other "-ism" words, it comes in all shapes and sizes, in big and subtle ways. Like you said, you see it all the time, and that is really awful.

BOX

No one attacked or jumped on her.

• pinkcow13pinkcow13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    abcdevonn said:
    arrippa said:

BOX

Vision impairment is a real issue. You, yourself, made that clear when you described everything you do to use the internet. You shouldn't have to do that! I'm not trying to "score points in an argument." I am trying to understand why no one thinks it might be a good idea to use a different color font. (Because maybe they don't want to.) Obviously, it's really perfectly fine if you don't want to.(Exactly, so what's the issue?) People can do whatever the heck they want. But when everyone jumps on a poster for saying that a color is hard to read, it is a little strange.(Nobody "jumped" on the poster. 3 people gave suggestions.) I get that she is not the most well-loved, but some of the comments were just cruel.(If there were any cruel comments, they started after people started reading too much into the suggestions that were provided. That's really when shit started going down in this thread. Had people not said anything - in fact the poster said she was going to take the suggestion - this thread would not have gone into this cesspool) You do you.  I am in no way trying to devalue the term "ableism," but like many of the other "-ism" words, it comes in all shapes and sizes, in big and subtle ways. Like you said, you see it all the time, and that is really awful.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• OMFG. I've been lurking on this thread for 16 pages now. It went from talking about MI/VG as a catfish to attacking CMG and each other. 

climbingwife too because the entire tone of the entire conversation was negative. So, I read her response to CMG as very condescending because it was part of a negative thread overall. But, she has already said she didn't mean it that way. I acknowledge that I misread her tone. 

Can this thread die already? (Yes, irony acknowledged of posting when I want the thread to die.) 

• pinkcow13 said:

Vision impairment is a real issue. You, yourself, made that clear when you described everything you do to use the internet. You shouldn't have to do that! I'm not trying to "score points in an argument." I am trying to understand why no one thinks it might be a good idea to use a different color font. (Because maybe they don't want to.) Obviously, it's really perfectly fine if you don't want to.(Exactly, so what's the issue?) People can do whatever the heck they want. But when everyone jumps on a poster for saying that a color is hard to read, it is a little strange.(Nobody "jumped" on the poster. 3 people gave suggestions.) I get that she is not the most well-loved, but some of the comments were just cruel.(If there were any cruel comments, they started after people started reading too much into the suggestions that were provided. That's really when shit started going down in this thread. Had people not said anything - in fact the poster said she was going to take the suggestion - this thread would not have gone into this cesspool) You do you.  I am in no way trying to devalue the term "ableism," but like many of the other "-ism" words, it comes in all shapes and sizes, in big and subtle ways. Like you said, you see it all the time, and that is really awful.

Regardless of whether or what people have started to read into whatever there is never a need for cruel comments. 

That being said, there was at least one cruel comment even before that. TrixieJess posted a whole reply in light pink font addressed to CMGragain after she said she had trouble reading it. If that is not mocking I don't know what is. Add to that the suggestion of "just stepping away" and it's not hard to understand why one might have trouble believing that that suggestion was not made with the best intentions. But even if it was made sincerely it is still not a helpful suggestion. That font is always going to be hard to read no matter how long one stays away from the computer. On the other hand, your suggestion of highlighting was helpful. 
    Anniversary
  • These gifs are incredible
  • ohannabelleohannabelle member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015

abcdevonn said:

Vision impairment is a real issue. You, yourself, made that clear when you described everything you do to use the internet. You shouldn't have to do that! I'm not trying to "score points in an argument." I am trying to understand why no one thinks it might be a good idea to use a different color font. Obviously, it's really perfectly fine if you don't want to. People can do whatever the heck they want. But when everyone jumps on a poster for saying that a color is hard to read, it is a little strange. I get that she is not the most well-loved, but some of the comments were just cruel. You do you. I am in no way trying to devalue the term "ableism," but like many of the other "-ism" words, it comes in all shapes and sizes, in big and subtle ways. Like you said, you see it all the time, and that is really awful.
    Yes, yes I should do that. It's called taking control of my own issues, and not sitting passively back on my ass and expecting  90% of the world to accommodate the 10%, which is neither fair nor practical, nor realistic. It's like demanding that restaurant chairs should all be furnished with cushy doughnut seat pillows to accommodate hemorrhoid sufferers.  Don't be a hemorrhoidist! 

The pink font is funny. (When jokes are explained, they cease being funny. )
    The reason it's funny is because it is a stoopid font in a ridiculously impractical color.  That's the joke of pink comic sans. It's a sillyass font,  like sarcasm is  a sillyass statement.  It says, I'm a joke. Navy blue wouldn't be even close to as funny. 
    So I knock myself out, hit the little magnifying glass on my tool bar, and have a little chuckle. BFD. One second of my time. The joke remains funny. 

I will point out that CM had zero issues with the suggestions on how to deal with the pink font. Other people exaggerated and inflated it and jumped up to seize the false whateverthefuck-ist banners, and I don't believe for one hot second that those were sincere concerns.  

I believe it to be dissembling. 100% pure and simple dissembling. And using very real issues to serve that dissembling for the sake of interweb arguing. Except maybe Doeydo, who probably really doesn't grasp it. 

Edit for spelling
  • And since I love Finding Nemo another one of Bruce and his buddies...

Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• hellohkb said:
    Okay the ice cream cone gif is funny yet disturbing at the same tim.

And what is it with sharks eating pizza?  I have seen a few gifs/graphics like that.  I had no idea that sharks loved pizza so much.  They didn't mention that on shark week. :)
    It's a very little known fact that they do. People think it's an urban legend, but what do you think Bruce and his friends eat since they don't eat fish anymore?
    So are sharks cousins to the Ninja Turtles?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards