Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Oh yes, what a horrible idea of trying to be inclusive and bending right over backwards by changing font colour. I mean clearly, if you have a disability no one should ever change anything they do to make it easier for you, and shame on those who expect us to do so.
    /sarcasm. (I haven't figured out how to change the font colour yet on my phone, or I would have used a darker pink)

• hellohkb said:

Okay the ice cream cone gif is funny yet disturbing at the same tim.

And what is it with sharks eating pizza?  I have seen a few gifs/graphics like that.  I had no idea that sharks loved pizza so much.  They didn't mention that on shark week. :)
    It's a very little known fact that they do. People think it's an urban legend, but what do you think Bruce and his friends eat since they don't eat fish anymore?

So are sharks cousins to the Ninja Turtles?

Maybe like 3rd cousins twice removed or something

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• hellohkb said:

And what is it with sharks eating pizza?  I have seen a few gifs/graphics like that.  I had no idea that sharks loved pizza so much.  They didn't mention that on shark week. :)
    It's a very little known fact that they do. People think it's an urban

legend, but what do you think Bruce and his friends eat since they don't eat fish anymore?
  • doeydo said:
    Oh yes, what a horrible idea of trying to be inclusive and bending right over backwards by changing font colour. I mean clearly, if you have a disability no one should ever change anything they do to make it easier for you, and shame on those who expect us to do so. /sarcasm. (I haven't figured out how to change the font colour yet on my phone, or I would have used a darker pink)
    Doey, clearly we've moved on from there. 
  • If you don't quite understand the shark gifs, read page 16 over a couple times.

• edited July 2015

abcdevonn said:

Vision impairment is a real issue. You, yourself, made that clear when you described everything you do to use the internet. You shouldn't have to do that! I'm not trying to "score points in an argument." I am trying to understand why no one thinks it might be a good idea to use a different color font. Obviously, it's really perfectly fine if you don't want to. People can do whatever the heck they want. But when everyone jumps on a poster for saying that a color is hard to read, it is a little strange. I get that she is not the most well-loved, but some of the comments were just cruel. You do you. I am in no way trying to devalue the term "ableism," but like many of the other "-ism" words, it comes in all shapes and sizes, in big and subtle ways. Like you said, you see it all the time, and that is really awful.
    Yes, yes I should do that. It's called taking control of my own issues, and not sitting passively back on my ass and expecting  90% of the world to accommodate the 10%, which is neither fair nor practical, nor realistic. It's like demanding that restaurant chairs should all be furnished with cushy doughnut seat pillows to accommodate hemorrhoid sufferers.  Don't be a hemorrhoidist! 

The pink font is funny. (When jokes are explained, they cease being funny. )
    The reason it's funny is because it is a stoopid font in a ridiculously impractical color.  That's the joke of pink comic sans. It's a sillyass font,  like sarcasm is  a sillyass statement.  It says, I'm a joke. Navy blue wouldn't be even close to as funny. 
    So I knock myself out, hit the little magnifying glass on my tool bar, and have a little chuckle. BFD. One second of my time. The joke remains funny. 

I will point out that CM had zero issues with the suggestions on how to deal with the pink font. Other people exaggerated and inflated it and jumped up to seize the false whateverthefuck-ist banners, and I don't believe for one hot second that those were sincere concerns.  

I believe it to be dissembling. 100% pure and simple dissembling. And using very real issues to serve that dissembling for the sake of interweb arguing. Except maybe Doeydo, who probably really doesn't grasp it. 

Edit for spelling
    I had to look up dissembling, which is a good word, ftr. @Ohannabelle, I apologize if anything I said has offended you at all. I would however, like to say that I was not trying to fuel a fire or fight for the sake of fighting, because accessibility for the vision impaired is actually something I feel strongly about. My mother is almost completely blind in one eye do to multiple retinal detachments. She also has problems with her other eye. She struggles with her sight constantly, she trips constantly, she gets very distressed when she cannot drive. When she was in the middle of a long process of having surgeries on her eye, she went to bed each night wondering if she'd be able to see in the morning. I can't even begin to imagine that. I am telling you this, because I want you to know I am not trying to stir shit or open a massive battlefield. I am not lying when I say that I am concerned and angry when people don't seem to care about something that is easily solved. I am NOT at all a fan of conflict, and going back and forth on this makes me feel nauseous, which is pathetic, but true. 

The recommendation to highlight text was definitely great. For me, it just felt like sweeping a genuine problem under the rug. But if CMG was happy with the suggestion, maybe I should have let it go.

I just wanted to respond to this (and sorry to interrupt the GIFs, because those are great), because I felt like it deserved a response.

And now:

ETF: Spelled your UN wrong

• hellohkb said:

hellohkb said:

It's a very little known fact that they do. People think it's an urban legend, but what do you think Bruce and his friends eat since they don't eat fish anymore?

Side story...

My next door neighbors kids were outside playing one day.  They were wearing Ninja Turtle stuff and I told them that they should keep an eye on the sewer drain since that is where they live. Their eyes got all wide and they went running over to see if they could see them. 

That is adorable!!

• doeydo said:
    Oh yes, what a horrible idea of trying to be inclusive and bending right over backwards by changing font colour. I mean clearly, if you have a disability no one should ever change anything they do to make it easier for you, and shame on those who expect us to do so. /sarcasm. (I haven't figured out how to change the font colour yet on my phone, or I would have used a darker pink)
    Nothing in this post surprises me. 

• hellohkb said:
    hellohkb said:

Side story...

My next door neighbors kids were outside playing one day.  They were wearing Ninja Turtle stuff and I told them that they should keep an eye on the sewer drain since that is where they live. Their eyes got all wide and they went running over to see if they could see them. 
    I totally used to check sewers for them when I was little :) I think it was my older cousin who told me to do it lol 
  • it has come to my attention that maybe some people don't know what the term "jumping the shark" means...  

"Jumping the shark is an idiom created by Jon Hein that was used to describe the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality, signaled by a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of gimmick in an attempt to keep viewers' interest, which is taken as a sign of desperation."

• At the risk of bringing up the sarcasm font...

I was telling my mom about this thread last night while I was at her house and her response was: "I love Comic Sans... it's my favorite font"

I'll admit. It's not even on my list of least favorite fonts.

• hellohkb said:

At the risk of bringing up the sarcasm font...

I was telling my mom about this thread last night while I was at her house and her response was: "I love Comic Sans... it's my favorite font"

I'll admit. It's not even on my list of least favorite fonts.

Of all the many things said in this thread, the bolded is what offends me the most.

I legit loled. I think I like it because it so many of my friends hate it.

• I used comic sans back in AOL chat rooms (I think those were mentioned here like about eleventy pages ago?), in about 1997/1998.  I had this app/mod thing that could change my font into rainbows and shit.

I had the rainbow font on Yahoo messenger. The more obnoxious, the better IMO.

• ohannabelleohannabelle member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    abcdevonn said: ohannabelle said:
    abcdevonn said:
    Vision impairment
    is a real issue. You, yourself, made that clear when you described everything you do to use the internet. You shouldn't have to do that! I'm not trying to "score points in an argument." I am trying to understand why no one thinks it might be a good idea to use a different color font. Obviously, it's really perfectly fine if you don't want to. People can do whatever the heck they want. But when everyone jumps on a poster for saying that a color is hard to read, it is a little strange. I get that she is not the most well-loved, but some of the comments were just cruel. You do you. I am in no way trying to devalue the term "ableism," but like many of the other "-ism" words, it comes in all shapes and sizes, in big and subtle ways. Like you said, you see it all the time, and that is really awful. Yes, yes I should do that. It's called taking control of my own issues, and not sitting passively back on my ass and expecting  90% of the world to accommodate the 10%, which is neither fair nor practical, nor realistic. It's like demanding that restaurant chairs should all be furnished with cushy doughnut seat pillows to accommodate hemorrhoid sufferers.  Don't be a hemorrhoidist! 
    The pink font is funny. (When jokes are explained, they cease being funny. )The reason it's funny is because it is a stoopid font in a ridiculously impractical color.  That's the joke of pink comic sans. It's a sillyass font,  like sarcasm is  a sillyass statement.  It says, I'm a joke. Navy blue wouldn't be even close to as funny. So I knock myself out, hit the little magnifying glass on my tool bar, and have a little chuckle. BFD. One second of my time. The joke remains funny. 
    I will point out that CM had zero issues with the suggestions on how to deal with the pink font. Other people exaggerated and inflated it and jumped up to seize the false whateverthefuck-ist banners, and I don't believe for one hot second that those were sincere concerns.  
    I believe it to be dissembling. 100% pure and simple dissembling. And using very real issues to serve that dissembling for the sake of interweb arguing. Except maybe Doeydo, who probably really doesn't grasp it. 

Edit for spelling I had to look up dissembling, which is a good word, ftr. @Ohannabelle, I apologize if anything I said has offended you at all. I would however, like to say that I was not trying to fuel a fire or fight for the sake of fighting, because accessibility for the vision impaired is actually something I feel strongly about. My mother is almost completely blind in one eye do to multiple retinal detachments. She also has problems with her other eye. She struggles with her sight constantly, she trips constantly, she gets very distressed when she cannot drive. When she was in the middle of a long process of having surgeries on her eye, she went to bed each night wondering if she'd be able to see in the morning. I can't even begin to imagine that. I am telling you this, because I want you to know I am not trying to stir shit or open a massive battlefield. I am not lying when I say that I am concerned and angry when people don't seem to care about something that is easily solved. I am NOT at all a fan of conflict, and going back and forth on this makes me feel nauseous, which is pathetic, but true. 
    The recommendation to highlight text was definitely great. For me, it just felt like sweeping a genuine problem under the rug. But if CMG was happy with the suggestion, maybe I should have let it go.
    I just wanted to respond to this (and sorry to interrupt the GIFs, because those are great), because I felt like it deserved a response.
    And now:

***Boxes, for the love of God! Where are the boxes! *****

That's kind of weird! My mother has exactly the same detached retina issues, now on her third surgery. I'm trying hard to be hopeful after the most recent one, but preparing myself mentally to become the new chauffeur, because the eye pressure numbers seem to be going up and down with no discernible reason, which realistically does not bode well. My grandmother suffers from neovascular macular degeneration (spelling?) and has devolved Charles Bonnet syndrome, where the ocular nerves start creating random images, to replace the things they can't see. (This syndrome was a new one to me. It's interesting.) This week, she is seeing blue flowers on vines on our heads. She says it could be worse, it isn't poop or rats, and we all look very decorative. 

These are serious damned issues. And these are the kind of places where flags need to be waved and resources invested. People like me, who can cope easily with crappy vision and  eye strain and lesser issues should do so, because there actually are easy and workable solutions already available and in place. The fighting effort needs to be focused on those people who need serious accommodation, and are dealing with actual bona fide exclusion and whatists. 
  • edited July 2015
    abcdevonn said:

abcdevonn said:

Vision impairment is a real issue. You, yourself, made that clear when you described everything you do to use the internet. You shouldn't have to do that! I'm not trying to "score points in an argument." I am trying to understand why no one thinks it might be a good idea to use a different color font. Obviously, it's really perfectly fine if you don't want to. People can do whatever the heck they want. But when everyone jumps on a poster for saying that a color is hard to read, it is a little strange. I get that she is not the most well-loved, but some of the comments were just cruel. You do you. I am in no way trying to devalue the term "ableism," but like many of the other "-ism" words, it comes in all shapes and sizes, in big and subtle ways. Like you said, you see it all the time, and that is really awful.
    Yes, yes I should do that. It's called taking control of my own issues, and not sitting passively back on my ass and expecting  90% of the world to accommodate the 10%, which is neither fair nor practical, nor realistic. It's like demanding that restaurant chairs should all be furnished with cushy doughnut seat pillows to accommodate hemorrhoid sufferers.  Don't be a hemorrhoidist! 

The pink font is funny. (When jokes are explained, they cease being funny. )
    The reason it's funny is because it is a stoopid font in a ridiculously impractical color.  That's the joke of pink comic sans. It's a sillyass font,  like sarcasm is  a sillyass statement.  It says, I'm a joke. Navy blue wouldn't be even close to as funny. 
    So I knock myself out, hit the little magnifying glass on my tool bar, and have a little chuckle. BFD. One second of my time. The joke remains funny. 

Edit for spelling
    I had to look up dissembling, which is a good word, ftr. @Ohannabelle, I apologize if anything I said has offended you at all. I would however, like to say that I was not trying to fuel a fire or fight for the sake of fighting, because accessibility for the vision impaired is actually something I feel strongly about. My mother is almost completely blind in one eye do to multiple retinal detachments. She also has problems with her other eye. She struggles with her sight constantly, she trips constantly, she gets very distressed when she cannot drive. When she was in the middle of a long process of having surgeries on her eye, she went to bed each night wondering if she'd be able to see in the morning. I can't even begin to imagine that. I am telling you this, because I want you to know I am not trying to stir shit or open a massive battlefield. I am not lying when I say that I am concerned and angry when people don't seem to care about something that is easily solved. I am NOT at all a fan of conflict, and going back and forth on this makes me feel nauseous, which is pathetic, but true. 

And now:

***Boxes, for the love of God! Where are the boxes! *****

That's kind of weird! My mother has exactly the same detached retina issues, now on her third surgery. I'm trying hard to be hopeful after the most recent one, but preparing myself mentally to become the new chauffeur, because the eye pressure numbers seem to be going up and down with no discernible reason, which realistically does not bode well. My grandmother suffers from neovascular macular degeneration (spelling?) and has devolved Charles Bonnet syndrome, where the ocular nerves start creating random images, to replace the things they can't see. (This syndrome was a new one to me. It's interesting.) This week, she is seeing blue flowers on vines on our heads. She says it could be worse, it isn't poop or rats, and we all look very decorative. 

These are serious damned issues. And these are the kind of places where flags need to be waved and resources invested. People like me, who can cope easily with crappy vision and  eye strain and lesser issues should do so, because there actually are easy and workable solutions already available and in place. The fighting effort needs to be focused on those people who need serious accommodation, and are dealing with actual bona fide exclusion and whatists. 

ETA: It's always the boxes...

You and your mom are in my thoughts. The not knowing and the waiting are so tough. The bolded is really interesting, and her comment on you all looking decorative is so great--at least she has some sense of humor about it.

You are correct, that these areas need a lot more attention then they are getting. In my mind I just imagined some of the attitudes expressed here as a slippery slope towards "too bad"-land, and that disturbs me. On the subject of retinal detachments, I feel like now that I know about them, I keep running into/hearing about people who experience problems with their retina or people who have relatives that have experienced problems. I don't get WHY this is not more common knowledge, because my mom had lots of "flashes" and an abundance of floaters before the detachment occurred (which are apparently symptoms) and her doctor was not even remotely concerned. I feel like it only pops up on the infomercial-like TVs that drone on in eye doctor offices. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards