Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

not buying off the registry

DH & I were recently invited to a Jack & Jill shower.  Yesterday I went to the stores to buy a gift.  On both registries the coupled had registered for about 20 items, including cheap things like measuring spoons.  Regardless, everything was "fulfilled" (already purchased for them. 

They have lived together for a while but it was kind of catch as catch can arrangement. 

I know they both love to cook so I went off the reservation & bought them some Corningware. . .just plain white, a few pieces with lids. 

I hate gift cards.  I didn't want to give $$. 

Am I awful for getting creative?

Re: not buying off the registry

• Options
    Agreed w/ banana468, I know I already have what I need in the Corningware department, so I didn't register for it.

My guess is this couple had a skimpy registry because they want people to give them cash (I mean they ARE having a Jack and Jill after all).  So as long as they can return your gift if they want, you're fine.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    dalm0m said:
    DH & I were recently invited to a Jack & Jill shower.  Yesterday I went to the stores to buy a gift.  On both registries the coupled had registered for about 20 items, including cheap things like measuring spoons.  Regardless, everything was "fulfilled" (already purchased for them. 

They have lived together for a while but it was kind of catch as catch can arrangement. 

I know they both love to cook so I went off the reservation & bought them some Corningware. . .just plain white, a few pieces with lids. 

I hate gift cards.  I didn't want to give $$. 

Am I awful for getting creative?
    Not at all awful.  I probably would have gone with board games or something else for hosting.  But if you know they like cooking, a cooking item is probably a good bet.  If I knew that about my friends, I'd have gotten a molchajete or something else obscure.
  • Options
    Agreed w/ banana468, I know I already have what I need in the Corningware department, so I didn't register for it.

My guess is this couple had a skimpy registry because they want people to give them cash (I mean they ARE having a Jack and Jill after all).  So as long as they can return your gift if they want, you're fine.
    Sometimes a "Jack and Jill" is another name for a coed shower.  Sometimes it's a fundraiser for a wedding.  I understood this situation as the former.
  • Options
    adk19 said:

Sometimes a "Jack and Jill" is another name for a coed shower.  Sometimes it's a fundraiser for a wedding.  I understood this situation as the former.
    I sure hope so because otherwise, ugh.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    "Awful" isn't a word to use when giving someone a gift!  If going off registry, definitely include a gift receipt, since often times when a couple has a small registry, they don't need material items / would prefer a cash gift. 
  • Options
    No, you're definitely not awful for wanting to give a gift!  But as the PPs above me suggest, include a gift receipt just in case.
  • Options
    eileenrob said:
    "Awful" isn't a word to use when giving someone a gift!  If going off registry, definitely include a gift receipt, since often times when a couple has a small registry, they don't need material items / would prefer a cash gift. 

Everyone is saying this... but it's a shower. A shower is for physical gifts. If they want money they shouldn't be having a shower.

So I'm not saying don't give them the gift receipt... but man... The petty part of me is annoyed about needing to.

Assuming I couldn't think of a great off-registery item by myself, the first thing I would do  in this situation is contact someone in the couple, mention the registries are empty, and ask them if they are registered anywhere else. They might let you know about another registry or go back and add more to the existing. If not, I'd ask them what kind of things they'd like.
    Then they might give ideas of the type of things they might like which would give you more ideas when shopping.

And if they say "oh we don't need anything else; we're saving for our honeymoon," then I'd be annoyed but ask "oh, where do you want to go?" and then I'd buy then a tour guide book or a water-proof camera or whatever other honeymoon themed thing would work.

If they say "Oh, we don't need anything else, we're saving for a house," then I'd get them... I dunno. A welcome mat? A bird house? A Lowe's gift card? I don't know. I'd be annoyed at that point.

If they say "we want money," I'd buy them a big metal chicken.

• Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    aurianna said:

eileenrob said:

Everyone is saying this... but it's a shower. A shower is for physical gifts. If they want money they shouldn't be having a shower.

So I'm not saying don't give them the gift receipt... but man... The petty part of me is annoyed about needing to.

Assuming I couldn't think of a great off-registery item by myself, the first thing I would do  in this situation is contact someone in the couple, mention the registries are empty, and ask them if they are registered anywhere else. They might let you know about another registry or go back and add more to the existing. If not, I'd ask them what kind of things they'd like.
    Then they might give ideas of the type of things they might like which would give you more ideas when shopping.

And if they say "oh we don't need anything else; we're saving for our honeymoon," then I'd be annoyed but ask "oh, where do you want to go?" and then I'd buy then a tour guide book or a water-proof camera or whatever other honeymoon themed thing would work.

If they say "Oh, we don't need anything else, we're saving for a house," then I'd get them... I dunno. A welcome mat? A bird house? A Lowe's gift card? I don't know. I'd be annoyed at that point.

If they say "we want money," I'd buy them a big metal chicken.

See, I'd find all that asking rude. You're forcing them to abandon a polite course (small registry) for an explicitly rude one (pushing until they declare they want cash). I'd skip all of that and just buy them a gift I think they will like, and include a gift receipt not because I'm assuming they'll cash it in, but just in case they don't need what I gave.
  • Options
    See, I'd find all that asking rude. You're forcing them to abandon a polite course (small registry) for an explicitly rude one (pushing until they declare they want cash). I'd skip all of that and just buy them a gift I think they will like, and include a gift receipt not because I'm assuming they'll cash it in, but just in case they don't need what I gave.

But if we're talking about shower gifts then they can't just want cash. If that's the goal, they are being very rude in having a shower and inviting more people than the registry can support and then not being open to other boxed gifts.

I would give them the benefit of the doubt that they are not just money grubbing and that they just didn't realize how generous their guests were going to be. Asking someone what they might like as a present is never rude is it?
  • Options
    aurianna said:

aurianna said:

But if we're talking about shower gifts then they can't just want cash. If that's the goal, they are being very rude in having a shower and inviting more people than the registry can support and then not being open to other boxed gifts.

I would give them the benefit of the doubt that they are not just money grubbing and that they just didn't realize how generous their guests were going to be. Asking someone what they might like as a present is never rude is it?

Saying "ohh is there anything is particular you'd like?" is fine by me. But not follow up probing questions. They need to gratefully accept boxed gifts but I don't think they have to tell you what exactly they want. Just like how it's not rude to have a shower with no registry and just be thankful for whatever people give (annoying as all hell but not rude).
  • Options
    Asking someone where they want to go on their honeymoon is a probing question?
  • Options
    aurianna said:

Yeah, in the context of them first saying they don't need anything, then that they're saving for a honeymoon, in a conversation that you're getting increasingly annoyed at. I find that inappropriate and I'd be put off by it as the one being asked the questions. It's not much of a gift to me if I have to play 20 questions with you first.
  • Options
    auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    Yeah, in the context of them first saying they don't need anything, then that they're saving for a honeymoon, in a conversation that you're getting increasingly annoyed at. I find that inappropriate and I'd be put off by it as the one being asked the questions. It's not much of a gift to me if I have to play 20 questions with you first.

Person 1: I noticed your registry is empty. Is there any other type of thing you'd like at your shower?
    Person 2: Oh no not really. We're saving for our honeymoon. (ignore the fact that that's sort of an inappropriate answer when we're talking about a shower)
    Person 1: Oh how fun! Where are you hoping to go?

Sorry... doesn't strike me as rude. If you're close enough to this person to be invited to a shower, I think you should be allowed to ask them that and not have to go off and ask a third party. (ETA: Especially if Person 1 might have a great idea how to actually give them something on/for their honeymoon, like offer to pay for their hotel or something)

But as this is a totally hypothetical situation (and the only one I suggested a followup question to), it's really silly to keep debating.
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @dalm0m It is always OK to buy off the registry, even if they had a large one. A registry is a suggestion about things the B&G know they will need/use and to give the giver an idea for patterns and colours, etc the B&G have in their home.

I would include the gift receipt with it, but I don't think Corningware is a bad gift. Corningware is great, as long as you don't already have too much of it ;).

We had a decent sized registry at one store. We had 2 couples buy us gifts not on the registry. We loved both gifts- they are great!
  • Options
    So they're having a shower but they have 20 cheap items on their registry? This sounds like a cash grab.

I would return the corningware and give them a gift basket like @lyndausvi suggested. Edible stuff that doesnt give them the reward of returning your gift for cash.

It always rubs me the wrong way when people try to have a cash shower without really saying they're having a cash shower. I guarantee they're going into this with the intention of returning gifts for the cash they really want. IMO, it's a rude waste of everyone's time.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    One creative thing I use to give was a Chocolate Chip cookie basket.

I put in :

Mixing bowl(s)
    measuring cups
    measuring spoons
    cookie sheet
    spatulas
    spoon
    Chocolate chips
    flour
    sugar
    brown sugar
    vanilla 
    recipe on making the cookies on a nice card

Sometimes I add

tea towels
    milk glasses
    container to keep the cookies iin
    pot holders
    rack to cool the cookies

It's always been a hit.   

I feel that having 2 sets of cookies sets and measuring spoons is actually helpful.  Not really a need, but sure comes in handy when a recipes calls things needed the same measurements. 
    Someone did this at my shower, except with her molasses cookie recipe, and I loved it! Those cookies are the bomb, and I'm so excited to make them now.

I also like "experience" gifts, if you know the couple well enough to know what they like to do together. Maybe get them something related to a hobby, like concert tickets to a band they love or tickets to a sports game, something like that. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    lyndausvi said:

I put in :

Mixing bowl(s)
    measuring cups
    measuring spoons
    cookie sheet
    spatulas
    spoon
    Chocolate chips
    flour
    sugar
    brown sugar
    vanilla 

Sometimes I add

tea towels
    milk glasses
    pot holders
    rack to cool the cookies

It's always been a hit.   

I feel that having 2 sets of cookies sets and measuring spoons is actually helpful.  Not really a need, but sure comes in handy when a recipes calls things needed the same measurements. 
    Someone did this at my shower, except with her molasses cookie recipe, and I loved it! Those cookies are the bomb, and I'm so excited to make them now.

I also like "experience" gifts, if you know the couple well enough to know what they like to do together. Maybe get them something related to a hobby, like concert tickets to a band they love or tickets to a sports game, something like that. 
    That is so cool.  It's always been a hit when I've given that as a gift.

There is so much to do.   Apple pie, cherry pie.  Molasses cookies.  Muffins.   

I do not think one can have too many things like mixing, spatulas, spoons or measuring cups, etc.  Cooking one holiday meal will prove that stuff comes in handy.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

I put in :

Mixing bowl(s)
    measuring cups
    measuring spoons
    cookie sheet
    spatulas
    spoon
    Chocolate chips
    flour
    sugar
    brown sugar
    vanilla 

Sometimes I add

tea towels
    milk glasses
    pot holders
    rack to cool the cookies

It's always been a hit.   

I do not think one can have too many things like mixing, spatulas, spoons or measuring cups, etc.  Cooking one holiday meal will prove that stuff comes in handy.
    But you can have too many cutting boards.   We have over 30.   We used one as a TV stand! 

• Options
    banana468 said:
    lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

I put in :

Mixing bowl(s)
    measuring cups
    measuring spoons
    cookie sheet
    spatulas
    spoon
    Chocolate chips
    flour
    sugar
    brown sugar
    vanilla 

Sometimes I add

tea towels
    milk glasses
    pot holders
    rack to cool the cookies

It's always been a hit.   

But you can have too many cutting boards.   We have over 30.   We used one as a TV stand! 

LOL - we have about 7.  Use most of them at point or another.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

I put in :

Mixing bowl(s)
    measuring cups
    measuring spoons
    cookie sheet
    spatulas
    spoon
    Chocolate chips
    flour
    sugar
    brown sugar
    vanilla 

Sometimes I add

tea towels
    milk glasses
    pot holders
    rack to cool the cookies

It's always been a hit.   

I want to hear the story behind this!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    fyrchkfyrchk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment

I know for my friend's shower everyone was annoyed because her mother went in and purchased everything she had registered for leaving the rest of us with nothing. When it came time for the shower she got a lot of things that were doubles. I think some people were like, "you can never have too many towels!" I got her a gift card to the place where she was registered and a basket that I made for a "movie night." Popcorn, root beer, boxes of candy, and a movie.

I know from speaking to her after (we are good friends and she wanted to vent) she was PISSED at her mother for putting her friends in that situation. But, I think mom was just super-stoked to buy gifts.

I always include the gift receipt because there are people (like my own mother) who don't take stuff off the registry when they buy it.

• Options

lyndausvi said:

I put in :

Mixing bowl(s)
    measuring cups
    measuring spoons
    cookie sheet
    spatulas
    spoon
    Chocolate chips
    flour
    sugar
    brown sugar
    vanilla 

Sometimes I add

tea towels
    milk glasses
    pot holders
    rack to cool the cookies

It's always been a hit.   

One of our favorite gifts was something almost exactly like this. They sent us a box with everything for sundaes except the ice cream - set of cute sundae dishes, ice cream scoop, bottle of sprinkles, bottle of cherries, caramel and chocolate syrup, nuts. It was awesome! And of course we still use the dishes and scoop.
  • Options
    JBee85JBee85 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    I had one box of wine glasses (4) listed on the registry. Someone had bought it, but others didn't see.. I ended up with 6 boxes of wine glasses from various place, and no place to really store them. Two of them came from Costco... And since I was not a Costco member, I couldn't really return it or buy something else from the store!

Please try your best to follow the registry because if a couple gets the same thing from another guest, it becomes difficult to return it for something else they might need.
  • Options
    So they're having a shower but they have 20 cheap items on their registry? This sounds like a cash grab. I would return the corningware and give them a gift basket like @lyndausvi suggested. Edible stuff that doesnt give them the reward of returning your gift for cash. It always rubs me the wrong way when people try to have a cash shower without really saying they're having a cash shower. I guarantee they're going into this with the intention of returning gifts for the cash they really want. IMO, it's a rude waste of everyone's time.
    This.  If you're having a shower, have enough items on the registry.  The whole point of a shower if to give physical gifts, not cash. 

If I was in the OPs shoes, I'd stick with the corningware (or whatever else that was "nice") but I wouldn't give a gift receipt.  Too bad so sad - not my problem you didn't take the time to put enough items on your registry.
  • Options
    A gift receipt is never required. Yes, if I have one I'll give it, but I buy a lot if gifts on Amazon, where it can be hard to return if you were not the purchaser.

A pizza stone is a good gift.

• Options
    JBee85JBee85 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    JBee85 said:
    I had one box of wine glasses (4) listed on the registry. Someone had bought it, but others didn't see.. I ended up with 6 boxes of wine glasses from various place, and no place to really store them. Two of them came from Costco... And since I was not a Costco member, I couldn't really return it or buy something else from the store!

Please try your best to follow the registry because if a couple gets the same thing from another guest, it becomes difficult to return it for something else they might need.
    (Gasp!) What kind of God would allow this?

Seriously? No. This is not a problem. This is like a huge non problem. Wine glasses are always a thoughtful gift, because they break easily, and need to be replaced.  

If my daughter said any of the above, I would judge her, read her beads, and remind her that the only kind and gracious response is  to be grateful that someone gave her a gift.  <b>Whining because a gift isn't exactly what you asked for is unacceptable behavior for a five year old. </b> In an adult, it's just kind of sad. 

Isn't it great that you have friends that took the time to give you a gift? Any gift? Yep. End of story. 

Honestly I am not surprised by this response. That wasn't what I said. At all. I did get what I asked, but I was not prepared for over six guests to get me the same thing, especially if it is something that 

A. I have limited storage for (true, glass break and I can replace them)
    B. Can't return for store credit to get something that was on the registry.

Something else to think about: what do you do when you find one of your gifts broken? I had two wedding gifts that were shipped broken to me and I was able to replace them with the company because they were within my registry. If they weren't and I didn't have a gift registry... It kinda sucks :/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards