Destination Weddings Discussions

2 night minimum on hotel stay?

We are going to look at venues this weekend. Most of the venues are an inn or resort of some sort about 30- 45 minutes from Asheville, NC. Everyone will be traveling. Some only an hour, some 5 hours, most by plane. I know that at least one of the venues we are going to look at, and I suspect more, requires a 2 night minimum. We are looking at peak season so I understand but as a guest what would your feelings be about this? Would you rather stay at a hotel in town and then drive to the ceremony/reception or stay on site with a 2 night minimum? Should I not even consider a place with a minimum? Please share your experiences booking events at hotels/inns/resorts?

Re: 2 night minimum on hotel stay?

• I would offer multiple choices for your guests.  If you can create a room block at one of the inns that requires a minimum stay then do that.  Then create a room block at a hotel that does not require a minimum stay.  Or just create one room block and note the minimum stay requirement but then list 2-3 other choices nearby that do not have a minimum stay.

As for whether I would want to stay somewhere with a minimum night stay would really depend on if I was travelling into town the day before and then leaving the day after the wedding.  If I was only an hour away I would most likely not stay at all.

• We got married in a resort town.  Pretty much every hotel and B&B had a 2 night minimum.  A few even had 3 nights.   We still blocked rooms at 2 places that had minimum.    Both blocks were filled and we had to add more rooms to each block.    

It helped that we had golf outing on Friday, so a bunch of people were in town a few nights before anyway.  Some of the guests found places that only had a 1 night.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thanks ladies. I was a little concerned that the 2 night minimum would be rude somehow. It is par for the area, even trying to get a room for this weekend, a lot of them require 2 nights. I know a lot of people dont like DW and I just want to make it an easy, enjoyable experience.
  • I would say since most will be travelling by plane they will need a minimum of 2 nights anyways, so making room blocks at places with a 2 night minimum wouldn't really matter you know?  And for those that don't like it, then they can do their own research and find something more suitable to their needs.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards