Chit Chat

Summer Reading

2»

Re: Summer Reading

• I'm reading 'The Valley of Amazement,' by Amy Tan and I have 'Caribbean,' by James Michener waiting on my reader.

• Loved "The Silent Wife" ASA Harrison and "Dear Daugter" by Elizabeth Little, just finished both while on my honeymoon this week!
  • edited July 2015

I just finished "The Kraken Project" by Douglas Preston. I also really love the Pendergast series co-written by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. Their co-written Gideon Crew series is great too. I typically pre-order any books they co-write (I just did a pre-order for a book they are releasing in November 2015).

Before that it was "The Patriot Threat" by Steve Berry.  Another good one... especially for those that like the Dan Brown type stuff.  

Now, I've decided to jump to classics I've always wanted to read and haven't, or ones that I haven't read in a long time.  I'm just starting "1984" by George Orwell.  I think next on my list will be "The Catcher in the Rye"... I remember really liking Salinger when I was in high school, but haven't read it since... I'm wondering if it will have the same appeal now that I'm not filled with teenage angst. Not sure yet what I'll tackle after that.  I'm actually debating just trying to tackle BBC's list of 100 books to read before you die. http://www.rantlifestyle.com/2014/02/15/bbcs-top-100-books-need-read-die/

• Unaccustomed Earth by Juhmpa Lahiri
  • Love this thread! Finally getting around to reading the Game of Thrones books (on #2 right now). Decided to read a non GOT book between each of the GOT books, to see if they last until next season starts next year (I doubt it), so I just read Holly Madison's "Down the Rabbit Hole". After the one I'm reading I'm planning on revisiting To Kill a Mockingbird, which I read in school, and then its controversial sequel. After that I'm on to GOT 3.
  • hicoco said:
    I'm going on vacation soon so I was looking for some fun reads. I just picked up "The Good Girls" by Sara Shepard, "Love Rosie" by Cecelia Ahern and one other I can't remember from the library. I am waiting for "The Rumor" by Elin Hildebrand to come in and "Down the Rabbit Hole" by Holly Madison also. Fun beach reads! 

I would HIGHLY recommend Elin for summer reads. Her books all take place in the summer on the East Coast and are very good.

ETA: I also am waiting for Girl on the Train to come in! 
    Second this! She is my favorite!

Just finished the newest Mary Higgins Clark novel (because I am secretly 90), I read Finders Keepers by Stephen King which was good, but not as good as Mr. Mercedes ( Finders Keepers is the sequel). I always start the summer with Elin Hildebrand and other beachy reads, but about now is when I get sick of humidity and start wishing for fall, hence the mystery books. 

I am on the waiting list at my library.  We can be 90 together.  I've been reading her since I was a teenager, which was a long time ago.
    Me too!! It is so comforting even though its about murder. I feel that way about Murder She Wrote too lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Love this thread! Finally getting around to reading the Game of Thrones books (on #2 right now). Decided to read a non GOT book between each of the GOT books, to see if they last until next season starts next year (I doubt it), so I just read Holly Madison's "Down the Rabbit Hole". After the one I'm reading I'm planning on revisiting To Kill a Mockingbird, which I read in school, and then its controversial sequel. After that I'm on to GOT 3.
    Has anyone started/read Go Set A Watchman yet? I started it on audiobook yesterday during my run.. It's read by Reese Witherspoon which was a surprise. Haven't gotten deep enough into it yet to have an opinion though.
  • LOVE hearing what everyone is reading! I have been doing Game of Thrones and I typically pick up anything by Nevada Barr in the summer because they are fun and easy. 

If any of you are looking for a good pool side chuckle I just got done with "Notes to my future husband, A bitch's guide to our happily ever after" by The Coquette. Takes no time at all to read but it's pretty funny and since most of us a in the wedding mind set on here I thought you all might enjoy it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not a huge reader but I read this on a recent camping trip: http://www.amazon.com/GI-Brides-Wartime-Crossed-Atlantic-ebook/dp/B00H7LZVUO/ref=sr_1_6?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1437152618&sr=1-6&keywords=war+brides  

I had no idea until the end that it was actually based on the womens' true stories.  I really had a hard time putting it down.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • I just started Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella, cos I needed something easy to go with my classes.  Anyway, I got about 3 chapters in last night and it sounded familiar.  Turns out I have it on Kindle from when it first came out.  Damn you Amazon!!  I have it on Kindle, why did you let me order the book too, years later!!  Now I need to figure out how to return to Amazon, which I've never done.  I only bought it in book cos I wanted to get over $39 for free shipping.  I think I'll re-read it though anyway, since I don't remember it well

• labro said:
    Definitely second the recommendation on The Century Trilogy (Fall of the Giants is the first book) by Ken Follett. It's long, in depth, and just really interesting.

I just re-read the HP series and The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

If you haven't read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series you should definitely check it out!

The Girl You Left Behind is the next book on my bookclub list so I'm going to start reading that on my vacation next week. No clue if it's good or not, but it's another book that's being made into a movie!
    @labro   Are you planning on reading Pillars of the Earth's sequel?   World Without End...  I actually liked it a smidge bit more than Pillars.  They are- still- the two best books I've read in my life :)
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @soontobesyp I'm actually re-reading it now. This is probably my third or fourth time through both books. I prefer Pillars of the Earth over World Without End personally, but both books are good!

• I've been re-reading stuff lately. Currently re-reading "Alice in Zombieland" series {trilogy - I'm on book 2}
    I've heard so many things about "down the rabbit hole" that I may see if my library has it .... which I need to visit soon. I'm running out of options!
  • I'm close to finishing Luckiest Girl Alive on Audible. Still not sure what I think about the main character...

I HIGHLY recommend "The Husband's Secret" by Liane Moriarty and even more highly recommend "Big Little Lies" by her as well. The shocking twist made my jaw literally drop and I couldn't get over it for a few days after reading. It was a fun read. 
  • I'm reading whatever cool I find at the library. Right now, I'm in the middle of "Eighty Days," which is the story of journalists Nelly Bly and Elizabeth Bisland racing each other around the world and trying to beat Phileas Fogg's 80 days in the book by Jules Verne. It's pretty interesting! I'm also reading all the Clive Cussler (one of my favorite authors) books that I haven't read yet at the library.

I also have a running list of books I want to read, many of them older and out of print, and I need to go through the list and find out what they have at my local library.
  • I am cruising through this post and placing holds at the library :)
  • At the beginning of the summer I read Olive Kitteridge and liked it so much that I read 3 other books by Elizabeth Strout and enjoyed them all.  Wally Lamb's We Are Water was decent, but not as good as She's Come Undone (one of my all-time favorites) or I Know This Much Is True.  I just got back from a week off so I read The Good House by Ann Leary, a well-crafted, honest story that was surprisingly good.  I also read Annie Dillard's The Maytrees which was lyrical and original but tough language to slog through and didn't leave me with any lasting impact.  I also liked Catcher in the Rye in high school so I read about half of Franny and Zooey but found it pretentious and pointless and decided to abandon it (for now). 

Next I plan on reading at least one other Ann Leary book - she has two others - and Stephen King's It, which is not really my genre but I love his writing style and get excited about anything set in Maine.  I need to read All the Light We Cannot See - and probably will in the next few months - but for some strange reason I'm scared it won't live up to expectations. 

I recommend Goodreads for those of you not already on it.  It's an easy place to find reviews, author information and keep track of books you've read and would like to read.

• I'm new to posting here, so first of all, hi! I read Leaving Time and thought it was okay - not spectacular - but not terrible. I just started reading The Traitor's Wife and I like it so far. Next on my list is Go Set a Watchman; always looking for a good book to read!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards