Chit Chat

Facebook friends you keep for entertainment

Do you have any facebook friends you keep around because of their high entertainment value?

I have this one "friend" - who I actually did like but didn't know well in college - who posts the most ridiculous rants ALL. THE. TIME.  I'm not exactly sure even what he's arguing for... I know part of it is men's rights, the dangers of feminism (in academia, I think?), how corrupt the university system is, and a LOT about faulty academic research (what is STEM? I have no idea, but he really believes in it, and nobody else takes it seriously).

I'm always tempted to de-friend him, but then I think how I will miss the next rant!  Nobody ever comments on his stuff, so it's like shouting into the wind... why does he write these multiple paragraph rants?  Does he have a job?  What on earth happened to him?

Anyway, some people take great pleasure in unfriending people they don't agree with.  I like to watch the crazy... That probably explains my reality tv addiction.

How about you?

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Facebook friends you keep for entertainment

• STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and math.
  • I have one that I for sure keep around just for entertainment. She's a girl I went to high school with but wasn't really friends with, and she is such a train-wreck it's hard to look away. Most of her posts are asking someone to bring her a cigarette because she never has a car (or a jobs by the looks of it) and getting mad that nobody can hang out with her on a Tuesday at noon. But every once in a while you get some gems like "I'm doing no shave November with my downstairs, who wants before and after pictures?" 
    LOL, that sounds like one of those chain things that you have to repost if you "like" or comment on it... I hope she's not serious!

• I have one that repeats himself and doesn't understand punctuation. An example: "so excited for Tom we are going to see (name) and (name) at the park Tom it will be a Great day"

I'm not even exaggerating.

Who the fuck is Tom and why are the wrong words capitalized???

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I was really sad to be unfriended by my main FB trainwreck. She was a girl I knew in high school and was living with her ex in laws and her ex-husband had full custody of their kid. She very obviously had no job but was always posting about being a nurse. It was very obviously lies. She would post all this long drawn out bullshit about love and relationships and how she needs someone and blah blah blaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. She started internet dating another kid from high school and constantly going on and on about how in loooooooooooove they were and she just KNEW he was going to propose to her and blah blah blah. Then she cheated on him, started doing hardcore drugs, and then went back on the "I need someone to LOVE me" posts. She unfriended me a few months ago just after getting knocked up by a 19 year old (we're 27) and moving in with his parents.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • "Tom" might be an abbreviation for tomorrow. His phone is reconizing it as a proper noun which should be capitalized.
  • Oh yeah I just remembered another one. There's a girl who posts some pretty dramatic, attention-seeking things (like, "So sad. Sucks to feel this way!") and yesterday she posted a selfie of her crying with the caption "I feel like a widow now" because apparently her boyfriend broke up with her. 
  • "Tom" might be an abbreviation for tomorrow. His phone is reconizing it as a proper noun which should be capitalized.
    I know, I forgot to write that in comic sans :)

• Oh yeah I just remembered another one. There's a girl who posts some pretty dramatic, attention-seeking things (like, "So sad. Sucks to feel this way!") and yesterday she posted a selfie of her crying with the caption "I feel like a widow now" because apparently her boyfriend broke up with her. 
    Yes, being dumped is exactly the same thing!

• luckya23 said:
    I have one that I for sure keep around just for entertainment. She's a girl I went to high school with but wasn't really friends with, and she is such a train-wreck it's hard to look away. Most of her posts are asking someone to bring her a cigarette because she never has a car (or a jobs by the looks of it) and getting mad that nobody can hang out with her on a Tuesday at noon. But every once in a while you get some gems like "I'm doing no shave November with my downstairs, who wants before and after pictures?" 
    LOL, that sounds like one of those chain things that you have to repost if you "like" or comment on it... I hope she's not serious!
    Judging by the state of her life and the crazy shit she posts, I wouldn't put it past her to actually post that. Trust me, I was crossing my fingers we wouldn't see it in all it's glory!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ugh, I wish I had some people for entertainment value. People who I found generally annoying I just unfollowed (rather than unfriend) and put them on a separate list. 

My news feed is basically just 90% baby pictures. 

• I'm gonna derail this thread for a minute because I have a FB question: how do I get rid of everyone's "likes" showing up in my newsfeed? I guess I've unfollowed so many people that FB is now putting random friend's "likes" into my newsfeed. I don't want to necessarily stop following all of these people, but I don't want a bunch of their likes showing up. I've been selecting "see less from so-and-so" when it happens but I'm not sure if that's helping.

• Ugh, I wish I had some people for entertainment value. People who I found generally annoying I just unfollowed (rather than unfriend) and put them on a separate list. 

My news feed is basically just 90% baby pictures. 
    This is pretty much what I did, unfollow and if I ever feel the need to read someone else's life disasters, I can go to their page and still read their updates there.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

I have a few like that too, all just AW's looking for attention on this or that random thing and posting vague stuff or being so in love today, broken up tomorrow, and then in love (either with first person or a new one) by Friday. I do feel sorry for these people sometimes, and especially since on my list they all have kid and I wonder about their home lives.

I lost one of the trainwrecks recently because her husband (and likely her too) ran a scam where they "rented" out a foreclosure or abandoned house to like 7 different couples and basically stole their deposit money and news broke and people were flooding her fb page looking for her husband so she deleted her page. I haven't seen any updates on the case but I hope they both finally got in trouble!!

• Um my own brother! All of his posts are about "fuck the government, fuck the man". He ranted all about a speeding ticket because he was just following in the flow of traffic. Everyone in front of him and everyone behind him was doing that speed so it's bullshit and not fair that he got a ticket. And his friends of course are like "I know dude, fuck that, fight it, don't pay it!". And I call him out every time. I'm like doesn't fucking matter what speed anyone else is doing- you still chose to speed. I have people ride my butt every morning and I don't care, they can deal with it.

Same with all his posts. The dog officer gave me a $100 fine because I didn't register my dog. Fuck the government, I don't need to register my dog. I'm like when will you understand that it doesn't matter if you think the law is stupid or not- you still have to follow it. He doesn't seem to get that concept and just wants to fight everything...and post about it.

This one trainwreck girl from high school is fun to watch though.....she got divorced 3 years ago...has a 2 year old baby with her new BF. Yet she constantly talks about how her ex is her best friend and she's so lucky to have him in her life, and he's the only one there for her, blah blah. And all of us are just like "then why did you get divorced?" Being cordial is one thing but it just seems way bizarre to be BFF with your ex husband who is not your current boyfriend or father of your child.

• I have two. One is leftover from my time working in Student Affairs, I used to take out one of the Alternative Spring Break groups and when they were chosen they typically go on a FB friending spree, I had a policy that I don't friend students but if they friended me and I felt comfortable I would accept. Anyway, this girl friended me but didn't stay in the program more than a month. She's been on my friend list and always posts about her latest drama, she ended up getting pregnant and getting into a few fights and posting all about them. It's been entertaining. 

The second one is leftover from an organization I was a part of when I was in college. This guy was the founder of our conceal carry organization on campus but thankfully isn't very vocal about his political stance. His posts read like two grandmothers talking about the things their pets have done- a bunch of boring updates that drag on way too long. But he's taken the physical test for being a police officer 3 times and failed every time. He's like "Well thanks for the prayers warriors but it looks like this test wasn't for me. I did really good in the running portion but when I had to walk to balance beam my feet didn't cooperate and I fell. I've attached a picture of the bruise it left." I can't get the cadience right. 
  • H has a really good one on his newsfeed that I like to peek over his shoulder at. (He'll usually be like "Oh my god, look what this crazy girl said this time") 

The one I remember the best was when she posted a drunk picture of herself with the caption "Getting wasted" or something like that. Her mom commented with, "How could you do this to your family? You know your dad is an alcoholic. How could you put us through this again?" 
    The girl went off on her mom in a comment saying, "Bitch don't you dare bad-mouth my dad how dare you bring him into this blah blah blah this is MY life I can drink when I want to" on and on. 

They went back and forth several times, airing some extremely personal details and getting very nasty, and I just couldn't stop reading. 
  • edited July 2015
    I come from a pretty WT area and higher education / college was never encouraged so most of my HS "friends" were for entertainment and most have been deleted by now.  But here were my two faves:

1.  A girl ranting about how ghetto and dangerous our old city has become and she can't believe it.  She married her HS sweetheart.  He was on a tether/house arrest for 2 years for stabbing someone while in a fist fight when we were 16.

2.  A stay at home mom, recovered alcoholic, pothead who bragged about spending  money on hubby's credit card when he pissed her off and complained about working moms on welfare (because if they have a job they shouldn't need her "hard earned tax money" - legit quote).  I know SAHMs work hard but all she talked about was shopping, smoking pot in the back yard and helping her kids exact revenge on the mean neighbor next door.  I unfriended her when they threw hot dogs in the neighbors pool in retaliation for yelling at her kids for being too loud after 9pm.

ETF random spaces
  • I have a few. A couple are crazies I met through work but their nonsense can be entertaining, but one of my favs is actually a dear friend who works her ass of to bring awesomeness to our city. She just happens to post some really random silly stuff. I have a whole screenshot file of crap she says that we use whenever she is a guest chef on my show. The audience loves the "Shit the Honey Badger (yes, she goes by that) posts" stories.
    I swear facebook would be entertaining if I only had 10 friends, because I have some mouthy ones.

• I have a few. A couple are crazies I met through work but their nonsense can be entertaining, but one of my favs is actually a dear friend who works her ass of to bring awesomeness to our city. She just happens to post some really random silly stuff. I have a whole screenshot file of crap she says that we use whenever she is a guest chef on my show. The audience loves the "Shit the Honey Badger (yes, she goes by that) posts" stories. I swear facebook would be entertaining if I only had 10 friends, because I have some mouthy ones.
    OMG dying at the men's crocheted thongs! That's hilarious! 
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I have the friend with the impossibly long run-on sentences about nothing.  It is actually painful to read and/or interpret. 

I also have the friend from high school that I really need to unfollow.  She constantly posts about the ridiculous things her kids do.  She always says how cute and witty they are.  The posts will be like "I asked C what he wanted for breakfast and he said cheerios" I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound adorable or endearing, it sounds like you are deciding on an everyday breakfast choice.  She must have friends similar to her though because people actually "like" this nonsense. . . . . unless i'm really missing some inside mommy joke!
  • I'm a landlord. My first tenant was a girl fresh out of college who had her parents paying her rent. My sister was her neighbor/co-landlord and they were friends. I was told to friend her and my sister was right- she's hilarious. She hasn't been a tenant in years but is a delightful trainwreck. I'd defriend her if her social/political views were a problem but I love watching her newest tattoos, absurd status changes, and her screenshots of random text conversations.

DH has a long-time friend that I can't stand. He won't drop her completely from his life out of guilt but he's starting to realize what a shitty human being she is. I've kept her as a FB friend because I'm a bitch and like watching her making an even bigger mess of her life.
  • I feel a little left out. I have normal Facebook friends who never post ridiculous stuff.  The worst statuses I get are TBT 80's videos (which are kinda awesome). I need some trainwreck friends.
  • Wegl13Wegl13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Be thankful you don't know crazy people. Also follow your local news channel for a fresh dose of crazy every day!
  • I officially NEED to be facebook friends with the lady from the news article that @lovemesomemonster just posted. Endless entertainment with that one, I'm sure 
  • Not so much entertainment value, but my dead beat dad's girlfriend added me on FB. I've never met or talked to her on the phone, I talk to my own dad less than once a year. But whatever, she added me, and comments on everything. They live ~6hours away. I got a new car 'Oh its so pretty! Now jump in and come for a visit!' I made a comment about finally having a day off 'That's great! You should come visit!' ugh its so annoying. Her birthday was a few days ago, and people were posting Happy birthday stuff on her page.

"Happy birthday have a great evening!" "It never happens."

"Happiest of birthdays!" "Thanks but it never is a good day for me. It just another lonesome day."

"happy birthday! Have a great day!" "How do I do that?"

I put her on limited profile because she's so weird.

• No one is really crazy on mine, but I am friends with a lot of 18-22 year olds cos they're either on my current cheer team, or we cheered together very recently.  Lots of what do do if you get dumped, how the perfect guy really treats girls and 20 things that you have to do in your 20's otherwise you've wasted the decade type of posts.  Really not my thing anymore since I'm way older than that now.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards