Not Engaged Yet

Last week of summer (for me)

2»

Re: Last week of summer (for me)

• @CocoBellaF yes! So proud of you :)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • @eilis1228 - Thanks for the tips! I took the GRE a few years ago but I didn't do so great but I also didn't study really at all so this time I want to make sure I really study for it. Most of the M.A. programs didn't heavily weight the GRE for acceptance but PhD programs seem to put more emphasis on it. Unfortunately, most of the programs I'm looking at only care about the verbal score so studying really feels like memorizing a bunch of words and hoping they show up on the test. I need to dig out my test prep book too, I think it's still at the bottom of one of the boxes I still haven't unpacked since moving (yes, months later I'm still unpacking, don't judge me!)

For father-daughter songs, my dad and I will be dancing to Little Miss Magic by Jimmy Buffet. This literally the only thing set in stone for the wedding right now!

• @Eilis1228 Yay for getting so much done!!

@TwoDimes WEDDING WEEK!!!!!!!!!!
    friends tv show funy
  • eilis1228eilis1228 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    @TwoDimes WEDDING WEEK! OMG! Sorry you've got last-minute guest stress, but I promise that your day will be perfect despite all the cancellations. <3

@bethsmiles Thanks for the recommendation! I looked up the lyrics, and I really like it. Going to listen to do it during my lunch break.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @bethsmiles my roomie in undergrad took the GRE (so did I but this story is about her!) and during her prep working through a book in the math section went..."uhhhh...what is a remainder?!" Luckily I helped her out by explaining a remainder is what's left in a division problem haha. Good memories
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • @twodimes yay wedding week!!!!!

@cocobellaF yay for paying down debt!

@eilis1228 My dad and I danced to Angel in My Arms.  I let him pick the song, it sounded very 80's power ballad, but now I tear up when I hear it.( H downloaded all of our wedding songs on my ipod).  I also loved the song, I Loved Her First.  I forget now what other choices we went through. I think Unforgettable was also on the list.

Anniversary

• @TwoDimes ughh that is SO annoying that so many people cancelled and you had to re do the seating chart :(  You're right though- at least you hadn't paid for them already!

@eilis1228 My dad wanted to dance to My Little Girl by Tim McGraw even though he's not a country fan. He wanted something sappy. I do like My Little Girl but some of the other ones he liked made me want to gag lol. I'm really sentimental but they were WAY too sappy for me. I wanted In My Life by the Beatles because the Beatles are my dad's all time favorite band and it's because of him that I love them so much! Once he realized this he changed his mind and we danced to In My Life :)

• eilis1228eilis1228 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    @TwoDimes LOL "Memories" is one of the songs we always sing together. My mom used to be a lounge singer, so we always make fun of her singing that song. We think it's such an emo song. That might be fun to dance to though because it's an inside joke. I'll look at the other songs you suggested too. We also both like country songs, so the others could work.

@peaseblossom55 Awww that's a great idea! A wedding playlist. I love it! I may steal that idea later.

@lavenderfields13 I loooove the Beatles! My step-dad mentioned he was thinking of finding a song from them to dance to in homage of my love of the Beatles, but I don't think he found anything he really liked. I really like the idea of "In My Life." Since he asked for Butterfly Kisses, I'm thinking he wants something sappy though.

• 500days500days member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    @blue&amp;white Sorry that you have to go back to school so early! I start teaching again on Sept 1, and I probably should do some planning before then because I am getting awfully lazy!

@southernpeach89 Can't wait to see your maternity pics if you share here!

@caseface5 Looks like fun at Fenway! I need to get tickets, H and I go every summer and I don't want to skip this one! 

@eilis1228 My dad and I danced to "Daddy's Little Girl" by Al Martino. It's super sappy and Italian lol I don't know if I would recommend to anyone unless their dad or family is Italian or into that kind of Sinatra/Dean Martin music.

Ugh I am so tired and have had a stuffy nose all morning. I woke up around 10 and then walked around the house with coffee in hand. Fell right back asleep at about 10:45 and just woke up a few minutes ago. I can still accomplish everything I want to today, I think. I'm going to get my marriage certificates, make a return at BBB and then buy stamps at the post office for thank you notes. 

The weekend was not bad but not good either. H had to work Saturday and we relaxed watching TV/movies and snacking once he got home. Sunday we were lazy all morning because we had to go to a wedding (that we kind of didn't want to go to) Sunday night. It was at a big country club- which pretty much meant lousy food to me. And a cash bar. They asked for it to be an "unplugged" wedding, so I had to restrain myself from taking pics. FYI- guests all around me were so confused as to why it was unplugged and made their own assumptions and they just didn't get it/didn't like it. Anyway, the bride and groom spent the whole night taking pics with the photographer and their family groups. You would hear the DJ announcing people's names to go outside and take pictures with the couple. It was so annoying because it cut into songs that people should have been dancing to. The wedding ended at 10 and our whole table ended up leaving at 9. We didn't get to say hi to the bride or groom and it made me feel really guilty because the bride was just at my wedding. I feel bad that she missed her entire reception and I don't understand why her photographer thought it was a good idea to do formals all night. I feel really bad.

Hopefully I get over the funk I'm in...and I know I promised Alaska pics. I have so many its hard to choose which ones to post! I will do it though! promise.
  • @500days - Don't feel guilty that you didn't get to say hi to the bride and groom. They should have made seeing their guests a priority over taking pictures for so long! I've never been to a wedding where the DJ. called out names for people to go take pictures, that is bizarre. 

Also, I hate the whole concept of unplugged weddings.

• @bethsmiles Yes the concept of unplugged weddings is so weird to me. I didn't know if its because they didn't want pics on social media or because they just wanted pro pics. I don't get it. 
  • edited July 2015
    Some of my guests' pics look better than the pro pics! I would never ask people to not take pictures, I think it's so rude. 
    Me and H each wanted a big group pic of our cousins on our dads' sides. The DJ made an announcement for the "Lavender cousins and H cousins" to come take a group picture. That's really the only way we could do it because the families are huge and everyone was everywhere. That was it though! It's a tradition for the cousins on each of our dads' sides to get a group pic at every big event so that's why we did it. I can't imagine people being called up for pics all night though, that's annoying. I was so sick of taking pictures after the ceremony and just wanted to dance and enjoy my reception!

• @lavenderfields13 - One or two announcements for a big group would make sense to me but calling out individuals or even just calling out groups more than once or twice I'd start side-eyeing things!

• @jenna8984 as @TwoDimes said, i'll be glad when it's ovverrrrrr lmao! {and yes, kind of dancing around lots because I am so exhausted hahaha!}
  • I'm just going to put this here because I don't think this question needs it's own thread: What questions did you ask before booking your venue? FI and I are going to look at two on Sunday and I really love both of them from what I've researched online but I just know there have to be things I'm not thinking about that I should know about a venue before booking it!

• @bethsmiles I just looked up a few of my vendor questions that I saved. Maybe some of these will help you:

Indoor ceremony spot in case of rain? (we wanted an outdoor ceremony)

How much time is included in the price?

Bridal room available?

Who decorates?

How early can vendors arrive?

Candles allowed?

When can we do rehearsal?

Hotels nearby?

Vegetarian, GF, etc food options?

• @lavenderfields13 - Those are great questions! I didn't even think of asking about vegetarian or gluten free options. FI's sister is gluten free and vegetarian and I'd like for her to be able to eat something!

• @bethsmiles A few off the top of my head-- 1. Payment schedule 2. Plan B for rain or inclement weather if ceremony is outside 3. Absolute max number of people 4. ADA compliant? 5. Policy on date change/refund should something come up 6. Policies on booking vendors not on preferred list 7. Alcohol policies. 8. When they will absolutely positively kick you guys out and end the reception/any rules on noise level after a certain time. 9. Parking options 10. Number of bathrooms. 11. Do they provide anything with the price? Linens, dishes, decor, etc? 

• @eilis1228 - Thanks! I'm so bad at thinking about the logistics of things so I never would've thought to ask about a lot of that stuff. I'm going to e-mail myself all these questions so I can print them out and take them with me so I won't forget!

• @bethsmiles No prob! A lot of times venues will have reception areas set up already too. If they do, ask how many people it's set up for like that. If they say 100 but it feels really tight to you, you'll know not to listen to their max lol.

• @bethsmiles I also asked about outside food. Like using their kitchen is no problem but can you chose your baker for the cake or do you have to use theirs? If you wanted something extra for food like mini pies or rent a popcorn machine or something, are you allowed to bring that in? Are there any other weddings that night, like if they have 3 function rooms will they hear each other's music and have to share bathrooms? Discount for vendor meals?

• @bethsmiles I had a whole document I created with questions for each vendor. I met with including reception venues.  PM and I can send you my list. 

Anniversary

• @lavenderfields13 Yeah one or two announcements for pics would not bother me. I just felt bad that this bride didn't even get to dance...I mean maybe she did? We left at 9pm and the wedding ended at 10pm so maybe she did during the last hour. The bride did text all of us apologizing for not seeing us, but I still don't know what to say besides congrats youre married! lol
  • @GoldenPenguin - My dad loves Jimmy Buffet too, so I grew up listening to him as well! I can't imagine dancing to another song with my dad :)

Also, that picture captures such a perfect moment!

• @goldenpenguin that is such a great shot!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards