Chit Chat

What're you guys making for dinner tonight?

I had to start a thread because I'm so excited to make dinner.  I'm doing cauliflower steaks on the barbecue, a mac and cheese with spaghetti squash instead of noodles and vegan cheese (I've been making the vegan cheese myself and I love it) and a watermelon feta salad.  I think I'm just extra excited because FI and I haven't really been eating.. It sounds weird but we've been using our Nutribullet for a few weeks and we haven't really been hungry for dinner anymore.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What're you guys making for dinner tonight?

• All of that sounds fantastic! Do you have a recipe for the mac & cheese using spaghetti squash? I'd love to try that and H would be more than willing to taste test. 

I'm making two dinners tonight - we're going to see the Avett Brothers tomorrow night and I won't have time to cook between getting home from work and concert time so I'm making a casserole that we can just heat up quick and eat, along with dinner for tonight.

• Yum.

I haven't decided yet.  I might pull out some meatballs and garlic bread I have in the freezer then add pasta.   Or I might pull out some pork. Grill that with some  mushrooms, zucchini and squash. 

Actually, I think I will do the pork since I think the veggies need to be used before they get bad.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • My mom and stepdad arrive this afternoon/evening, although not quite sure when so I wanted something easy.  I'm doing this pork tenderloin recipe: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/11/soy-dijon-pork-tenderloin/   with mashed potatoes and broccoli with cheese sauce (figuring out a vegetable everyone will eat and is available at the store was challenging).  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Why is TK underlining everything?!

I haven't made the mac and cheese before but I'm thinking I'll bake a spaghetti squash in the convection oven, then make the sauce while it's cooking and mix them together.  The squash I drizzle with evoo salt and pepper whenever I make it.  You can either use a regular cheese sauce or make one from nutritional yeast (MY FAVORITE THING EVER.)  I heat coconut oil in a sauce pan then add the nutritional flakes, some stock, and seasonings.

@julieanne912 I agree, it's super hard to find a crowd pleasing veggie dish.  I usually do grilled asparagus with lemon and pepper and sauteed kale with cayenne pepper and garlic.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Going out tonight.

Tomorrow I'm going to try my hand at making homemade french onion soup. Served with fresh bread and salad.

Thursday is neighbor BBQ potluck day. We'll provide grilled veggies and salad

@cupcait927 I think I need to make that quinoa casserole! I do a version of the white bean dish all the time.
  • DaniBites said:
    Why is TK underlining everything?!

I haven't made the mac and cheese before but I'm thinking I'll bake a spaghetti squash in the convection oven, then make the sauce while it's cooking and mix them together.  The squash I drizzle with evoo salt and pepper whenever I make it.  You can either use a regular cheese sauce or make one from nutritional yeast (MY FAVORITE THING EVER.)  I heat coconut oil in a sauce pan then add the nutritional flakes, some stock, and seasonings.

@julieanne912 I agree, it's super hard to find a crowd pleasing veggie dish.  I usually do grilled asparagus with lemon and pepper and sauteed kale with cayenne pepper and garlic.  
    Asparagus was totally my plan but Costco (across the street from my work) was out and I don't want to drive all the way to the grocery store (it's a 15 minute drive on top of my 30-40 minute drive home).  
    Married 9.12.15
  • @redheadbride15 This will be the first time I'm making the casserole. I was nervous about the quinoa but it doesn't have to be cooked beforehand and the recipe as a whole looks pretty easy. 

@julieanne912 I have to try that recipe for pork tenderloin! H usually does a chipotle rub and then grills the tenderloins but I'm getting a little sick of doing it that. 
  • I forgot that I bought frozen cod bits* from Trader Joe's last month, so I'm thinking I will bread and bake them, along with potatoes from our garden. Kind of like fish and chips, without the deep frying.

*I know this sounds odd, but TJ's sells bags of frozen bite-sized cod pieces for about half the price of cod fillets. Perfect for fish tacos or fish and chips.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @redheadbride15 This will be the first time I'm making the casserole. I was nervous about the quinoa but it doesn't have to be cooked beforehand and the recipe as a whole looks pretty easy. 

@julieanne912 I have to try that recipe for pork tenderloin! H usually does a chipotle rub and then grills the tenderloins but I'm getting a little sick of doing it that. 
    It's delicious and the optional pan sauce is definitely worth it with mashed potatoes.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • I forgot that I bought frozen cod bits* from Trader Joe's last month, so I'm thinking I will bread and bake them, along with potatoes from our garden. Kind of like fish and chips, without the deep frying.

*I know this sounds odd, but TJ's sells bags of frozen bite-sized cod pieces for about half the price of cod fillets. Perfect for fish tacos or fish and chips.
    Oh man, I bought an air fryer a while ago and I've been dying to make fish and chips!  Thanks for the Trader Joe's tip!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think I'm going to make Alice Springs Chicken and mashed potatoes tonight.

• cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    Typically it would be last nights leftovers of this tortellini primavera http://mobile.eatingwell.com/recipes/tortellini_primavera.html but we are too much lol.

So I'll have the little bit left for lunch and am going to make zucchini pizza boats instead. It's just hollowed out zucchini with sautéed pepper, onion, and mushroom, and topped with some sauce cheese and pepperoni then baked.
  • All I know is that our dinner will include some jersey corn! I can't get enough of it. I could seriously just eat 2 or 3 ears and call it a dinner. Haha.
  • DaniBites said:
    I had to start a thread because I'm so excited to make dinner.  I'm doing cauliflower steaks on the barbecue, a mac and cheese with spaghetti squash instead of noodles and vegan cheese (I've been making the vegan cheese myself and I love it) and a watermelon feta salad.  I think I'm just extra excited because FI and I haven't really been eating.. It sounds weird but we've been using our Nutribullet for a few weeks and we haven't really been hungry for dinner anymore.
    What is cauliflower steak? It sounds delicious.
  • cgss11 said:
    Typically it would be last nights leftovers of this tortellini primavera http://mobile.eatingwell.com/recipes/tortellini_primavera.html but we are too much lol. So I'll have the little bit left for lunch and am going to make zucchini pizza boats instead. It's just hollowed out zucchini with sautéed pepper, onion, and mushroom, and topped with some sauce cheese and pepperoni then baked.
    They had that recipe on the Today Show last week.     

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    lyndausvi said:

cgss11 said:

Typically it would be last nights leftovers of this tortellini primavera http://mobile.eatingwell.com/recipes/tortellini_primavera.html but we are too much lol.

So I'll have the little bit left for lunch and am going to make zucchini pizza boats instead. It's just hollowed out zucchini with sautéed pepper, onion, and mushroom, and topped with some sauce cheese and pepperoni then baked.

They had that recipe on the Today Show last week.     

Yep! I have made other similar versions that I got from Skinnytaste, but I saw that too and thought the pizza version sounded amazing.
  • Tomorrow night we are going to the Air Show, so I know I am going to be eating super unhealthy so I am thinking tonight will be a BBQ salmon with roasted cauliflower.
  • DaniBites said:
    I'm cutting a head of cauliflower into thick slices, seasoning them and cooking them on the barbeque.  I'm thinking of seasoning them with evoo, lemon juice, rib rub and lots of black pepper.  Maybe some liquid smoke since I have a propane grill :) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No clue yet.  I desperately need groceries though, so whatever strikes my fancy this afternoon.  Last night we went for steak cos I finished my paper later than planned and still needed groceries.  It was yummy

• Fiance isn't getting home until 10, so we're having what we call a picnic dinner.  Bread, cheese, crackers, salami or sausage, some fruit, olive oil (for bread dipping)...  We just open the packages and nibble until we're full.  No cooking and much less clean up so we can go to be ASAP after dinner.
  • DaniBites said:
    DaniBites said:
    I'm cutting a head of cauliflower into thick slices, seasoning them and cooking them on the barbeque.  I'm thinking of seasoning them with evoo, lemon juice, rib rub and lots of black pepper.  Maybe some liquid smoke since I have a propane grill :) 
    That definitely does sound amazing! 
  • I have some Thai basil chicken curry in the crockpot cooking. Sticky rice and my homemade banana ice cream with manga slices for dessert. I've been craving that Thai chicken since the weekend so I made some for the next few days.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Fiance isn't getting home until 10, so we're having what we call a picnic dinner.  Bread, cheese, crackers, salami or sausage, some fruit, olive oil (for bread dipping)...  We just open the packages and nibble until we're full.  No cooking and much less clean up so we can go to be ASAP after dinner.
    I did something like that on Sunday.   

I made up some caprese with tomatoes and basil from the garden.  Then added balsamic and fresh bread.    

Sadly I found out I might be allergic to balsamic.  My tongue started to burn and get bumps.  It's weird because I have balsamic glaze everyday on  my salad with no issue.  The balsamic vinegar is a different story.

Another day last week I had brie and various fruits with bread.  

Awesome story right?

• Can I just go over to all of your houses? I have had an exhausting day and am not even sure I have the energy to pour myself a bowl of cereal for dinner.
    This is the traditional Christmas Eve dinner in my family :)  But I break tradition and have it anytime I want.
    Married 9.12.15
  • arrippa said:

I am making wine for dinner.

Recipe-Buy wine, open wine bottle, pour into glass, drink all the wine.

That's my favorite recipe! And much easier than a bowl of cereal :-)
  • Can I just go over to all of your houses? I have had an exhausting day and am not even sure I have the energy to pour myself a bowl of cereal for dinner.
    Come on over :)

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Sadly, we've devolved to the point lately where we're eating this once a week:
    http://damndelicious.net/2014/10/11/one-pot-garlic-parmesan-pasta/

I usually cook something on the side to mix in - most frequently shrimp and a veggie.

Tonight will be that pasta with a few cans of claims. A creamier version of linguine with clam sauce. There will be a salad on the side.

I'd make something else but we're having 2 extra people fro dinner and this dinner can be expanded a lot easier than my original plan.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @DaniBites I think I may have to buy cauliflower and try that! We have an apt but a tiny grill/panini press that it could work on .... and now I want cauliflower

We took out sausages last night but after doing running around, we ended up picking up food. So he should cook that tonight. I've got a coffee date with my mum so I'll grab a snack.
    It's hot as balls out, so it's hard to say what'll happen.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards