Favors

Gloves as a part of my favors? Opinions needed.

Hi ladies!

I'm currently in the middle planning my wedding and while everything is going well food, budget, and venue wise, I'm having a hard time with my favors...

Since I'm having a winter wedding, I wanted to put a pair of gloves in each of my guests favor bags with a label that says "I've got love to keep me warm" attached to them. What do you think? I was also wondering, would it be tacky to have different colored gloves placed in each bag or should I stick with one solid color since none of the glove options match my wedding colors?

Re: Gloves as a part of my favors? Opinions needed.

• AddieCake said:
    I think gloves are too personal an item to be a crowd pleaser. I would go with cookies or chocolates shaped like mittens or snowflakes.
    I agree with this. Those cheap-o grocery store gloves are horrible and useless. Unless you're buying really nice gloves that fit my large hands, I'd skip 'em and give food as favors.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Also, are you giving favor bags?  That screams kids birthday party to me.  If you must do a favor (they are optional), then stick to an edible favor, like Addie suggested.

If you went with the gloves, you would probably find lots of them left on the tables after the reception ended.

• I never thought about mitten shaped cookies as I plan on putting s'mores and hot cocoa in the bags. I just thought gloves would be practical with it being winter time.
  • Also, are you giving favor bags?  That screams kids birthday party to me.  If you must do a favor (they are optional), then stick to an edible favor, like Addie suggested.

If you went with the gloves, you would probably find lots of them left on the tables after the reception ended.

Yes, I am giving favor bags, but they won't be kid like at all. These are what I had in mindimage
  • Most people who live in colder climates have gloves. Those that don't, don't want or need them. I have about 1,000 pairs of gloves and cheap gloves would go directly into the garbage, if I took them at all.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Pretty harsh, but I don't think anyone would throw them in the garbage. I think they're very useful. I still appreciate your opinion. :)
  • Ditto Addie - I think cocoa and smores is plenty enough!  If you do feel the need to include something else, edible is definitely the way to go - I don't want gloves!
  • I could just stick with the cocoa and s' mores, but I wanted to add a little something extra.
  • Gloves have sizes for a reason.  Would you buy someone a pair of jeans that wasn't their size?

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • No, but comparing jeans to gloves is like comparing apples to oranges...it doesn't work. Not to mention, most gloves on the market have a very generous stretching capacity, but thanks anyway!
  • Skip the gloves.
  • When I saw the title, my mind immediately went to those long white opera gloves. I was thinking, "What a, er, unique favor idea"!

I'm also having a winter wedding and tons of favor ideas have come out at me, including gloves. I love the idea of having them as part of the favor, but I think they're an unnecessary expense and hard to execute. People with different hand sizes or taste in gloves would make this just far too stressful. I'd stick with what you have, because it seems perfect. If you feel you really must add something, add mitten shaped cookies. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Thanks ladies! I really appreciate most of you guys' opinions. :D
  • Pretty harsh, but I don't think anyone would throw them in the garbage. I think they're very useful. I still appreciate your opinion. :)

You would like to think that they wont end up in the trash but they will.

With your gift bag, are any of your guests traveling? Because they might not want to put chocolate bars and marshmallow in their suitcases.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • AddieCake said:
    Thanks ladies! I really appreciate most of you guys' opinions. :D

Most of our opinions? We all had the same opinion.
    But my admission that I'd throw away cheap gloves was too harsh for the delicate OP. 
  • I'd throw them away. I live in Texas, I have the only pair of gloves I'll ever need. I may be sad that you spent the money on something unpractical and donate them, depending the quality, but honestly if they are favors I can't imagine you're spending $30+ on them and getting great quality gloves.

I'd especially throw them out if they were mismatched. 
  • I would definitely throw them away, just like I did the stupid bookmark with a picture of them that my heinous cousin gave out.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I would throw them away too. Sorry. I already have a few nice pairs of gloves that I use in the winter. I don't need a cheap wedding favor pair. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    My DH has extra large hands.  He says I have tiny hands.  IDK, I normally wear size med in gloves.

Point is gloves are not a one size fits all items.  They will given away in our case.

The smores sound cute.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    All the people in my family, except for DH, have very long fingers.  We cannot fit into those stretchy gloves.
    No, I am not comparing apples to oranges.  You cannot fit a size 8.5 hand into a size 7 (medium size) glove, no matter how "stretchy".
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Sorry but I'd throw these out. If your wedding is in winter I would bring my own. Even If I didnt, I hate the cheapo ones.
    *********************************************************************************

• Okay, I've been biting my tongue for a moment, but I can no longer do that...you guys are some of the most rudest women I have ever encountered whether physically or virtually.

AddieCake said:
    I would definitely throw them away, just like I did the stupid bookmark with a picture of them that my heinous cousin gave out.

AddieCake said:
    Thanks ladies! I really appreciate most of you guys' opinions. :D

Most of our opinions? We all had the same opinion.
    But my admission that I'd throw away cheap gloves was too harsh for the delicate OP. 
    And you know what? I guess that does make me delicate. Who openly says that they'd throw someone's wedding favors away when they gave them to you out of the kindness of their hearts? If that isn't rude I don't know what is. You guys should learn a thing or two about being appreciative.

Rant over :)
  • Hi ladies!

I'm currently in the middle planning my wedding and while everything is going well food, budget, and venue wise, I'm having a hard time with my favors...

Since I'm having a winter wedding, I wanted to put a pair of gloves in each of my guests favor bags with a label that says "I've got love to keep me warm" attached to them. What do you think? I was also wondering, would it be tacky to have different colored gloves placed in each bag or should I stick with one solid color since none of the glove options match my wedding colors?
    You asked what we thought.   We told you.  If you do not want to hear the answer don't ask the question.  

We are trying to save you money.  From experience we are trying to tell you to save your money, as most people will not appreciate the gift.    

Again, your s'mores, coco, cookies sounds great.   Keep it simple. Most people do not like cheap stuff like gloves, sunglasses, etc.   Edible is generally a hit.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • You're absolutely right...I did ask for your opinions. I just thought it was rude to say that you'd throw someone's favors away just because it may not be a crowd-pleaser (i.e. edible favors). I do understand that you all are trying to help me out and I appreciate it.
  • HappyAnjelHappyAnjel member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2015
    It would be rude for someone to tell you your gift is horrible when you give it to them in real life. It is NOT rude to give you the honest opinion you asked for on an advice board. People WILL leave them behind or throw them out.

As stated I would stick to the edibles. Even if someone doesn't want it, the person next to them will, and there won't be 50 left waiting to be donated. I actually had people stealing other peoples favors at mine (good thing we had a bunch extra!)

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    When my daughter was about 6 years old, she would write a story for an assignment and then give it to me for checking.  If I pointed out even one spelling or grammar mistake, she would cry and  say that I was mean.....deja vu?

"most rudest"?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Once again, you're comparing incompatible subjects. I'm done here. Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards