Wedding Etiquette Forum

NWR: Etiquette behind baby showers

13»

Re: NWR: Etiquette behind baby showers

• I don't side eye a shower for a second marriage or a second baby.  I sideye this woman for asking for shower on facebook. She should plan to buy necessties for her baby and if her loved ones choose to throw a shower for her, she should be beyond happy with whatever gifts she gets. 

TBH, I've seen some ridiculous baby shower registries and I'm not a fan. Babies don't need themed nurseries with coordinating lamps, sheets, mobiles, wall decor etc...I usually stick with practical items for baby gifts. If I bought a big ticket item for the first baby, I'm probably going to buy nightgowns and onsies for the second and third babies. 
    Yep, this. Do you know how hard it is to buy a plain coloured fitted sheet for a crib or bassinet? Frickin' hard! Everything comes from a "collection". Nope, just want something to hide the spit-up, you got something that colour?
  • MGPMGP member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Since we discussed second showers to death, lets now discuss the new trend of grandparent showers:

http://www.grandparents.com/grandkids/new-grandparents/should-grandmothers-have-baby-showers

Thoughts? Here's mine - NOPE.
  • MGP said:
    Since we discussed second showers to death, lets now discuss the new trend of grandparent showers: http://www.grandparents.com/grandkids/new-grandparents/should-grandmothers-have-baby-showers Thoughts? Here's mine - NOPE.
    Nope.  What's next, Auntie showers?  Best friend showers?  I'm not a mom, but I have a pack and play hand-me-down that's actually been used once at our place by FH's nephew.  I also have baby legos that the kids found last time they came to visit.  FH's brother also brought us the duplicate Little Tykes basketball hoop they got for Christmas last year.  But do I need an auntie shower for sippy cups and bath toys?  Because I don't have any sippy cups.  And any that are to accidently get left at our place will get recycled if not returned within a week.  I don't have space to store sippy cups on the off chance I have a baby come to visit.
  • adk19 said:
    MGP said:
    Since we discussed second showers to death, lets now discuss the new trend of grandparent showers: http://www.grandparents.com/grandkids/new-grandparents/should-grandmothers-have-baby-showers Thoughts? Here's mine - NOPE.
    Nope.  What's next, Auntie showers?  Best friend showers?  I'm not a mom, but I have a pack and play hand-me-down that's actually been used once at our place by FH's nephew.  I also have baby legos that the kids found last time they came to visit.  FH's brother also brought us the duplicate Little Tykes basketball hoop they got for Christmas last year.  But do I need an auntie shower for sippy cups and bath toys?  Because I don't have any sippy cups.  And any that are to accidently get left at our place will get recycled if not returned within a week.  I don't have space to store sippy cups on the off chance I have a baby come to visit.
    I mean, I wouldn't say NO. ;) Kidding...kind of. My sister gave me a used Pack n Play when she got a brand new one for her shower, and I've bought a couple I Love My Auntie outfits and bibs to keep at my house for my soon-to-be-here niece. My mom's BFF gave her a "Grandma Survival Kit" with outfits, bottles, changing pads, diapers, etc. I think it is kind of nice when you get individually recognized by close friends/family who just want to do a little something to help out, but obviously a full blown shower is 1. 100% BSC and 2. Over the TOP.

• MGP said:
    I got a couple of duplicates at my shower of bigger items (high chair, vibrating chair, playmat) the duplicates went to grandma's. It was perfect, now I didn't have to haul that stuff there.
  • MGPMGP member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015

MGP said:

Since we discussed second showers to death, lets now discuss the new trend of grandparent showers:

http://www.grandparents.com/grandkids/new-grandparents/should-grandmothers-have-baby-showers

Thoughts? Here's mine - NOPE.

I got a couple of duplicates at my shower of bigger items (high chair, vibrating chair, playmat) the duplicates went to grandma's. It was perfect, now I didn't have to haul that stuff there.

---------

Yep, did the same thing. My cousin also gave my Dad some old baby gear too. Grandparents houses were stocked with no shower necessary.

It's just a matter of time until we hear about a self-hosted grandparent shower though. :). And what's next, MOB showers? Maybe I shouldnt ask that. . .
  • My sister has a weekend lake property - can someone throw me a shower for the bathing suits, coolers and other crap I'll need to hang out there?
    Exactly!  And I'm considering buying a car after not owning one for nearly 10 years.  Can I get a shower for gas giftcards, trunk organizer, tire gauges, reflective windshield screen and other crap I'll need to drive it?
  • I don't mind second, third, fourth, etc. baby showers and will and have happily gone to them. I see no need to buy big ticket items, and at most of the showers I've gone to, no one has. Most of the showers I've been to seem to be more of what the TK ladies refer to as "sprinkles" (which I had never heard of before TK) where people are giving clothes, books, toys, blankets, diaper bags, nursing covers, a few cloth diapers, etc. I have yet to go to a shower where someone received a car seat, high chair, stroller, changing table, etc. I have also only been to one shower where the mom registered, and the registry contained no big-ticket items.
  • I don't side eye a shower for a second marriage or a second baby.  I sideye this woman for asking for shower on facebook. She should plan to buy necessties for her baby and if her loved ones choose to throw a shower for her, she should be beyond happy with whatever gifts she gets. 

TBH, I've seen some ridiculous baby shower registries and I'm not a fan. Babies don't need themed nurseries with coordinating lamps, sheets, mobiles, wall decor etc...I usually stick with practical items for baby gifts. If I bought a big ticket item for the first baby, I'm probably going to buy nightgowns and onsies for the second and third babies. 
    Yep, this. Do you know how hard it is to buy a plain coloured fitted sheet for a crib or bassinet? Frickin' hard! Everything comes from a "collection". Nope, just want something to hide the spit-up, you got something that colour?
    This may shock you, but I used king sized pillow cases for bassinette sheets. The little mattress fits inside perfectly. That was 30 years ago. My advice might be considerd dangerous, by today's safety standards. 

• My bookclub has a grandma shower for a member's first grandchild. We bring our favorite children's book so that the grandma has books at her house to read to the little one. Not a full blown shower though.

This may shock you, but I used king sized pillow cases for bassinette sheets. The little mattress fits inside perfectly. That was 30 years ago. My advice might be considerd dangerous, by today's safety standards. 
    You could easily sew a zipper or velcro on to it! This is brilliant!
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Grandmother shower is wayyyyy over the top!

In my experience most grandparents tend to inherit the second hand or extra items. Or even have some old stuff kicking around!

I think doing something like @IloveBeachMusic said is a bit different. There you have a small, specific group of friends who are choosing to throw the shower for one of their own in the group, based on a similar activity they all share. This would also be different from one of the book club members throwing a shower and inviting ALL the grandmother's friends and family too.

We all know a gift can always be given, for any reason. It's when people expect them or go looking for gifts that turns people off.
  • @labro - I love your beautiful wedding portrait.

• @MairePoppy Aw thank you! It seems like the image link in my sig breaks every 4 or 5 months so I end up changing my photo just for the heck of it! :)

• My worker got invited to a grandmother shower last year, hosted by the mom-to-be!! I was so appalled I couldn't even bring myself to gripe about it on here. My coworker was appalled as well!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I just got a facebook invitation to my sister's gender reveal party on a Friday afternoon in another state.

On November 6.

That's right, she is maybe 6 weeks pregnant and sent a gender reveal invitation.

WILL IT BE PINK OR BLUE FOR NUMBER 2?????

I am so dying to find out, I suppose I should take off work!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Are we having this discussion again! Didn't we just discuss this like a month ago?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards