Chit Chat

Sticker shock

Another quote from a vendor that's left me in need of a large glass of wine. Last week, it was $200+ per guest for a barbecue welcome dinner (not including bar, staff, table rentals, dishes, linens, etc). A barbecue.

Today, it's $7k for lighting. Oh, the ballroom up-lighting and lanterns for a garden path are reasonable enough. But they want a ridiculous amount as a 'design consulting fee', and also for us to pay for travel fees and a hotel room (the company is based 20 minutes away, and the owner lives closer than that). Pretty sure I can buy the lights, and hire an electrician for a fraction of that.

Re: Sticker shock

• Damn, DH does BBQ's all the time for millionaires/billionaires and didn't even charge that much per head.  That must be some BBQ.

Lighting is a little tricker.    I do not get the need for a hotel, but a lot of venues required "professionals" to do lighting in their rooms.  Due to liability, insurance and other stuff they will not just let you just hire an electrician to do the setup.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • bizzy592 said:
    Another quote from a vendor that's left me in need of a large glass of wine. Last week, it was $200+ per guest for a barbecue welcome dinner (not including bar, staff, table rentals, dishes, linens, etc). A barbecue.

Today, it's $7k for lighting. Oh, the ballroom up-lighting and lanterns for a garden path are reasonable enough. But they want a ridiculous amount as a 'design consulting fee', and also for us to pay for travel fees and a hotel room (the company is based 20 minutes away, and the owner lives closer than that). Pretty sure I can buy the lights, and hire an electrician for a fraction of that.

That's so ridiculous. My venue (semi public fancy golf course) charged 50 dollars for a bbq rehearsal dinner (not including alcohol). We had our rehearsal somewhere else, because I thought it was too expensive. 

My wedding at that same location for a stationed menu with three proteins, pasta, veggies, two salads, two stationary apps and 6 passed apps, and a dessert and top shelf open bar with coctkail service with tip was just under 200 per person.  And I'm in Massachusetts, not exactly a cheap place to have a wedding.

So yeah, your venue sounds like a huge rip off. 

• That's so ridiculous. My venue (semi public fancy golf course) charged 50 dollars for a bbq rehearsal dinner (not including alcohol). We had our rehearsal somewhere else, because I thought it was too expensive. 

My wedding at that same location for a stationed menu with three proteins, pasta, veggies, two salads, two stationary apps and 6 passed apps, and a dessert and top shelf open bar with coctkail service with tip was just under 200 per person.  And I'm in Massachusetts, not exactly a cheap place to have a wedding.

So yeah, your venue sounds like a huge rip off. 

I'm in Mass as well - I knew prices were going to be high, but this has just been crazy. My venue is location only, so I have to find vendors for EVERYTHING. I've reached out to them to find out what they'd require in terms of doing my own lighting.

And yeah, we took about 3 seconds deciding to do the welcome dinner somewhere else.
  • We had to rent everything too.   It's really crazy how it all adds up.

I wanted paper lantern.  The tent company required a professional to hang them up.  The lanterns cost about $200 to rent and over $900 to setup.     Still got them, but yeah sticker shock.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • That is absurd. I had a 4 course, plated meal with 10 cocktail hour appetizers from a 4 star restaurant.  $120/head.

I love me some good BBQ, but $200/head is RIDICULOUS.
  • Holy shit.  We are doing BBQ catering and the food cost for 2 meat entrees, 3 sides, lemonade, iced tea, plates, cups and utensils is $12.50/pp (didn't include things like linens or the waitstaff's hourly rate). Pretty much every place I called had pricing similar to that for BBQ.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Yeah renting of an actual item is not super expensive (usually) but it is the labor involved with set-up/tear down, etc that is going to cost you.

I am interested in why that caterer charges $200/person for BBQ.  Like how is that cost broken down?  I know they probably won't tell you but I am mainly interested.

• Yeah... that is pretty ridiculous. We're doing BBQ for our reception. Really good BBQ. It is $8.99/pp and includes 2 meats, sides, buns, a variety of sauces, plates, cups, silverware, sweet tea and lemonade.

Sounds to me like you are getting ripped off.

• Yeah renting of an actual item is not super expensive (usually) but it is the labor involved with set-up/tear down, etc that is going to cost you.

I am interested in why that caterer charges $200/person for BBQ.  Like how is that cost broken down?  I know they probably won't tell you but I am mainly interested.
    To be fair, what they provide is a fairly fancy barbecue.. fireroastedcatering.com. What they do is pretty cool (slow roasting whole chickens over a fire pit) - but would come to $300 a head all in (drinks, staff, rentals), which is way above our welcome dinner price point.
  • omg I'm dying because I could see my husband using his famous quote on them- "Get your face fucked!!"

How much do you love this venue? I'd honestly consider changing to one that has basic things like lights. Like seriously, there is no lights in this place at all? Or you are just looking for "nicer" lighting?

• bizzy592 said:

Yeah renting of an actual item is not super expensive (usually) but it is the labor involved with set-up/tear down, etc that is going to cost you.

To be fair, what they provide is a fairly fancy barbecue.. fireroastedcatering.com. What they do is pretty cool (slow roasting whole chickens over a fire pit) - but would come to $300 a head all in (drinks, staff, rentals), which is way above our welcome dinner price point.
    Seems like the majority of the price is going towards the overall look of the food/cooking method, since I am assuming they will have to bring and set up the fire pits, and not actually the food directly.

• I would die seeing that price. Our BBQ reception was $12.00 a head with staff. 

It better be good for that much money.

• jenna8984 said:

omg I'm dying because I could see my husband using his famous quote on them- "Get your face fucked!!"

How much do you love this venue? I'd honestly consider changing to one that has basic things like lights. Like seriously, there is no lights in this place at all? Or you are just looking for "nicer" lighting?

Oh, I love my venue. It's my happy place (beautiful, and so peaceful). They have lighting, but it isn't dim-able, so we were looking to add up-lighting in the ballroom. And the gardens are crazy beautiful, so we thought adding a few lanterns along a path or two would allow people to explore even after the sun goes down. When I said that I have to hire vendors for everything, I exaggerated a little. It just feels that way today.
  • Looks like they are selling an experience, not just food.

• My biggest sticker shock was a photographer I met with -0 he was 25000 for the whole day and a second shooter. I almost peed myself. I was expecting about 5000-8000 on a photographer, not 25000. That's more than we spent on our entire wedding lol
  • My biggest sticker shock was a photographer I met with -0 he was 25000 for the whole day and a second shooter. I almost peed myself. I was expecting about 5000-8000 on a photographer, not 25000. That's more than we spent on our entire wedding lol
    I'm still choking on the 5-8k. 

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Holy F!  $25,000?!  I can't even wrap my head around that price.

Holy F!  $25,000?!  I can't even wrap my head around that price.
    Me neither.. Wow. The highest I saw was $14k.
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    The only sticker shock I've really had was when I found out that a groom spent $100K (maybe 150) + expenses (flight, hotel, etc) to have Wynonna Judge and her 8-10 piece band to sing for 45 minutes at the reception as a surprise for his new bride.

New Flash - Judd is not worth that kind of money. ETA - she sucked in my and the rest of the staff's opinions.

And really the shock was Judd herself command that kind of money.  Another musician I might find that amount to be worth it or even too  low.

I've worked so many high end weddings and have been privy to their banquet orders  I'm rarely shocked by what people command for their services.

ETA - because i can't spell last names.  Nor do I even care about her anyway.

I think this is...90% of what I spent on our total wedding. Holy shit. Can you share his website? I seriously want to see what he's including in his package that "justifies" that kind of price. Insanity!!!

$5k to $8k would've been a lot for my budget....but it definitely seems more reasonable to me for what would be a high end photographer in my area.

• lyndausvi said:
    The only sticker shock I've really had was when I found out that a groom spent $100K (maybe 150) + expenses (flight, hotel, etc) to have Wynonna Judge and her 8-10 piece band to sing for 45 minutes at the reception as a surprise for his new bride.

New Flash - Judge is not worth that kind of money. ETA - she sucked in my and the rest of the staff's opinions.

And really the shock was Judge herself command that kind of money.  Another musician I might find that amount to be worth it or even too  low.

I've worked so many high end weddings and have been privy to their banquet orders  I'm rarely shocked by what people command for their services.
    Pssst it's Judd, not Judge :) 

But yeah, I wouldn't think she'd be worth that kind of money either, and I'm a big country fan.
    Married 9.12.15
  • lyndausvi said:

New Flash - Judge is not worth that kind of money. ETA - she sucked in my and the rest of the staff's opinions.

And really the shock was Judge herself command that kind of money.  Another musician I might find that amount to be worth it or even too  low.

Pssst it's Judd, not Judge :) 

But yeah, I wouldn't think she'd be worth that kind of money either, and I'm a big country fan.
    oops.  I knew it look weird.  

She was really bad IMO.  Tried to be funny, but failed big time.

• labro said:
    My biggest sticker shock was a photographer I met with -0 he was 25000 for the whole day and a second shooter. I almost peed myself. I was expecting about 5000-8000 on a photographer, not 25000. That's more than we spent on our entire wedding lol
    I think this is...90% of what I spent on our total wedding. Holy shit. Can you share his website? I seriously want to see what he's including in his package that "justifies" that kind of price. Insanity!!!

$5k to $8k would've been a lot for my budget....but it definitely seems more reasonable to me for what would be a high end photographer in my area.
    He didn't have a website - which is why I met with him. I was looking for a relatively new photographer because I couldn't afford the 5 - 8 either. We ended up spending under 1000. But it wasl ike, an engagement shoot, all day, photos on a disk or USB, and a trash the dress. 
  • labro said:
    My biggest sticker shock was a photographer I met with -0 he was 25000 for the whole day and a second shooter. I almost peed myself. I was expecting about 5000-8000 on a photographer, not 25000. That's more than we spent on our entire wedding lol

He didn't have a website - which is why I met with him. I was looking for a relatively new photographer because I couldn't afford the 5 - 8 either. We ended up spending under 1000. But it wasl ike, an engagement shoot, all day, photos on a disk or USB, and a trash the dress. 
    Dude charges $25 grand and doesn't even have a website?  Good lord...
    Married 9.12.15
  • @loveislouder Wow.... I would've at least expected a pretty comprehensive list and other extras like a super fancy schmancy photo book, some large canvas prints maybe? Photos with gold leaf??

• I'd pay $100,000+ for the Judd's.  Actually, maybe just Wynonna too.  You know, if I had it.

• labro said:

Dude charges $25 grand and doesn't even have a website?  Good lord...
    THATS WHAT I SAID! I was like... You mean 2500?  And he was like... nope. 25000. I was like... uhh... do you have a portfolio? "Not on me"
  • THATS WHAT I SAID! I was like... You mean 2500?  And he was like... nope. 25000. I was like... uhh... do you have a portfolio? "Not on me"

Who goes to an interview with out a resume??  With no website, how did you hear of him?

• We visited a venue with a fairly reasonable wedding package. It was like $2,500 for rental, tables, linens, cake, I think centerpieces, basically everything except food, bar and DJ. The buffet and plated options were pretty okay too - nothing over like $85/per person. So we go and visit. We told her we wanted a small wedding and she casually mentions that they have a $20,000 F&B minimum. That's over 225 people!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards