Wedding Invitations & Paper

STD Addressing

2»

Re: STD Addressing

• CMGragain said:
    Thank you, MairePoppy!  Where did you find this article?
    The article that states what MairePoppy posted is the one that you linked and she quoted. 
  • edited August 2015
    CMGragain said:
    Thank you, MairePoppy!  Where did you find this article?
    It's from the article that you linked. I know you're having vision problems, let me enlarge and bold it for you. I'm happy to see this:

Addressing a Couple

Married, she uses her husband's name socially

Mr. and Mrs. John Kelly

NOTE: Traditionally, a woman's name preceded a man's on an envelope address, and his first and surname were not separated (Jane and John Kelly). Nowadays, the order of the names—whether his name or hers comes first—does not matter and either way is acceptable. The exception is when one member of the couple 'outranks' the other—the one with the higher rank is always listed first.

Married, she prefers Ms.

Mr. John Kelly and Ms. Jane Kelly
    Ms. Jane Kelly and Mr. John Kelly
    *Do not link Ms. to the husband's name: 
    Mr. and Ms. John Kelly is incorrect

Married, informal address

Jane and John Kelly
    John and Jane Kelly

• Thank you so much!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • You're welcome. 

• Funny how you say the mail carrier cares.... but people send us mail all the time without formal titles and miraculously, we still receive it and aren't offended when it doesn't say Mr and Ms/Miss (I actually hate when people use Miss).    Hell, people spell our street name wrong all the time (it starts with a capital I that people mistake for an L) and we still get our mail.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Funny how you say the mail carrier cares.... but people send us mail all the time without formal titles and miraculously, we still receive it and aren't offended when it doesn't say Mr and Ms/Miss (I actually hate when people use Miss).    Hell, people spell our street name wrong all the time (it starts with a capital I that people mistake for an L) and we still get our mail.  
    Hell, my mail carrier doesn't even care if my name is on the envelope at all, as is proven every time we receive mail for our neighbors or the previous owners of the house.  She Certainly doesn't give a Shit if my title is included.
  • adk19 said:
    Funny how you say the mail carrier cares.... but people send us mail all the time without formal titles and miraculously, we still receive it and aren't offended when it doesn't say Mr and Ms/Miss (I actually hate when people use Miss).    Hell, people spell our street name wrong all the time (it starts with a capital I that people mistake for an L) and we still get our mail.  
    Hell, my mail carrier doesn't even care if my name is on the envelope at all, as is proven every time we receive mail for our neighbors or the previous owners of the house.  She Certainly doesn't give a Shit if my title is included.
    My mail carrier gives half my mail to the neighbors. I wonder if it's because he's offended that my mail never includes titles? 
  • Don't be silly!  Of course, the mail carrier doesn't care.  The recipient might, though.  We old school ladies were taught to use titles in correspondence.  That is what was expected.  Anyone who neglected to do it was either ignorant, or being rude.
    OK, so times seem to be changing.  Emily Post says it is OK to drop titles.  Miss Manners says that you must use them.  I'm old school, like she is, so I'm going with her.  (After all, Emily Post also says that Honeymoon Registries are acceptable.)
    I will continue to urge people to use titles. I wouldn't like it if someone addressed personal mail to me without one.  My family knows better than to do that.  If it is just too much effort for you ladies to write out Ms., Mrs., or Mr. on an envelope, then so be it.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    CMGragain said:
    Don't be silly!  Of course, the mail carrier doesn't care.  The recipient might, though.  We old school ladies were taught to use titles in correspondence.  That is what was expected.  Anyone who neglected to do it was either ignorant, or being rude.
    OK, so times seem to be changing.  Emily Post says it is OK to drop titles.  Miss Manners says that you must use them.  I'm old school, like she is, so I'm going with her.  (After all, Emily Post also says that Honeymoon Registries are acceptable.)
    I will continue to urge people to use titles. I wouldn't like it if someone addressed personal mail to me without one.  My family knows better than to do that.  If it is just too much effort for you ladies to write out Ms., Mrs., or Mr. on an envelope, then so be it.

I think that most recipients of save-the-dates don't care about whether or not they are addressed with titles on the envelopes-because save-the-dates themselves are informal, and senders of them don't need either Emily Post's or Miss Manners' permission to leave off the titles.

It's not about whether it's too much effort or whether we like etiquette, so will you please stop attributing negative characteristics to us if we don't feel like following what you think is etiquette? "Judge not, lest ye be judged."

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    I'm not the one who has been rude and judgmental on this thread. 
    I'm not the one who likes to make up their own rules.
    I have not said one word of criticism to you about your attitude.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Don't be silly!  Of course, the mail carrier doesn't care.  The recipient might, though.  We old school ladies were taught to use titles in correspondence.  That is what was expected.  Anyone who neglected to do it was either ignorant, or being rude.

That is not what you said - twice - earlier in this thread.  E.g.: "Remember, the address on the outside envelope is for the mail carrier.  This is why it is with proper titles."  

• CMGragain said:

I'm not the one who has been rude and judgmental on this thread. 
    I'm not the one who likes to make up their own rules.
    I have not said one word of criticism to you about your attitude.

Actually, you have been very judgmental in this thread each time you accused people of "not liking etiquette" or "making up their own rules" simply because they don't agree with YOU that titles are necessary on informal correspondence, which includes save-the-dates.
  • Viczaesar said:
    CMGragain said:

That is not what you said - twice - earlier in this thread.  E.g.: "Remember, the address on the outside envelope is for the mail carrier.  This is why it is with proper titles."  
    Slight difference in semantics.  The outside envelope is addressed for the mail carrier to deliver to the recipient.  Including titles is showing respect for the recipient, not for the mail carrier.  The mail carrier only needs the correct address to deliver the mail.
    In past times, the mail would be delivered by the sender's servant.  The servant would not be privy to first names, or address anyone except a member of his own family with this familiarity.  This is where the tradition comes from.  Mail carriers now do the job that personal servants used to do - but then, we have a lot more mail, now.
    It is simply about respect.  When in doubt, use titles.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Viczaesar said:
    CMGragain said:

Slight difference in semantics.  The outside envelope is addressed for the mail carrier to deliver to the recipient.  Including titles is showing respect for the recipient, not for the mail carrier.  The mail carrier only needs the correct address to deliver the mail.
    In past times, the mail would be delivered by the sender's servant.  The servant would not be privy to first names, or address anyone except a member of his own family with this familiarity.  This is where the tradition comes from.  Mail carriers now do the job that personal servants used to do - but then, we have a lot more mail, now.
    It is simply about respect.  When in doubt, use titles.
    That's not a difference in semantics.  You straight up said that titles are necessary for the outside envelope for the mail carrier.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards