Wedding Party

Pretty Plum Sugar Robes for Bridesmaid gifts?

Re: Pretty Plum Sugar Robes for Bridesmaid gifts?

• ShesSoCold the fact of the matter is - my bridesmaids all wanted to wear something to get ready in... and if THATS WHAT THEY WANT, I am going to do it for them - I am not forcing them in anything, and THIS IS WHAT THEY CHOSE....

I didnt give them a this or that - - we all discussed it and those were the two choices THEY were deciding between.

Isn't it about making your girls happy? Well thats what makes them happy. 

No I am not going to blow up a picture a put it in my living room - but hell yes I will have it in my wedding album to remember the fun day with my girls. 
  • I know everyone is so against the ROBES and I am too - but I did want to get all of the girls something they could get ready in - they all agreed - so in a mass text this am - we narrowed it down to mens oversized shirts (which shoot me if this is wrong, I LOVE, and would wear it as a coverup, or running errands on the weekend) or silk robes.... 

....all of the girls picked the silk robes.

SO ROBES IT IS..

I cant believe it actually. I am also a tad bit bummed. Oops. 

But my point is - SOME GIRLS OBVIOUSLY like the robes. 
    I mean if your girls like it, cool. But, why do you need to get them something to get ready in? They get ready nearly every day of their lives without oversized shirts or silk robes, so why can't they just get ready in what they feel comfortable in?

For my wedding, I planned on wearing one of FI's shirts to get ready in, because I get ready in the nude. I figured I should probably wear something since I would have a makeup artist and people there and what not. My girls just brought their own stuff to get ready in. I ended up forgetting the shirt, so I called housekeeping to use one of their robes. And that was that. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• pinkcow13 I think that's fantastic for you - I was not going to get them anything to get ready in - but when they approached me with how fun they though it would be to get ready that morning in something matching... 

I agreed. They picked robes. 

Your bridesmaids were happy... and so are mine. 

Happy Ending :) 
  • pinkcow13pinkcow13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    pinkcow13 I think that's fantastic for you - I was not going to get them anything to get ready in - but when they approached me with how fun they though it would be to get ready that morning in something matching... 

I agreed. They picked robes. 

Your bridesmaids were happy... and so are mine. 

Happy Ending :) 
    Ohhh okay, I thought from your post that you were the one who wanted the matching robes. My cousin (one of my BM) sent me a few robe ideas from Etsy as a getting ready suggestion, but I personally did not want to spend the money on all the matching robes. And I know the other girls would do it for me, but would not be into it. At the end of the day both our BM's were happy then!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Maggie0829 whats the issue if everyone is happy? 
    I just find it incredibly silly for a whole bunch of grown women to feel the need to dress alike while getting ready for an event.  To me that is teenage, sleepover crap.  I don't care how happy everyone is about it, I can still think that it is ridiculous.
    This. I would feel ridiculous if I completely matched someone else. Once I went to my sister's house to go out and we were both wearing dark jeans, black boots, a blue tank top and a black sweater. She changed because we both felt ridiculous. I don't get how A. people need specific outfits to get ready to wear a different outfit and B. that these already weird outfits need to match other grown women.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
    Because it seems silly and forced.  You're telling us your BP had the idea to all ready together in something matchy?  Seems a little odd but hey if that's their bag...
  • There's not even a tiny little part of me that wants to dress up in a cute getting ready outfit with my friends. I still don't get why this is a thing. 
  • And now OP has run away. Over robes. Le sigh.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
    I just find it incredibly silly for a whole bunch of grown women to feel the need to dress alike while getting ready for an event.  To me that is teenage, sleepover crap.  I don't care how happy everyone is about it, I can still think that it is ridiculous.
    Seriously.  This was pretty much the plot of Fancy Nancy:  Pajama Day.
  • I really think you ladies just LOVE to get a rise out of people to start drama. Like I said whats the issue if everyone is happy? -- end of story. I just came here to let people know as well as the OP to know that SOME PEOPLE SURPRISINGLY LIKE ROBES AND WOULD LIKE THEM.... such as my girls.  

I understand you are entitled to your opinion - but enough is enough, you guys are just brutal. All the OP came here to do was ask your opinion on the material of a robe - and she got slashed.
  • I really think you ladies just LOVE to get a rise out of people to start drama. Like I said whats the issue if everyone is happy? -- end of story. I just came here to let people know as well as the OP to know that SOME PEOPLE SURPRISINGLY LIKE ROBES AND WOULD LIKE THEM.... such as my girls.  

I understand you are entitled to your opinion - but enough is enough, you guys are just brutal. All the OP came here to do was ask your opinion on the material of a robe - and she got slashed.
    You may want to do a search on Bridesmaids Robes and see how many entries come up for this very topic. It gets frustrating to see the same thing over and over again. 

Here's the thing, it's the internet, people have opinions, some opinions are not going to be the same as yours. If you want to dress your BMs up like props for pictures that you will probably never look at past the time you get them back from the photographer then by all means, go ahead. Also realise that people will go along with things when you are getting married to your face, but may talk about how horrid they are behind your back. I have been in several weddings where this has happened. 

Lurk a little, use the search and maybe don't insult the regs.
  • I dont understand why the regs can be insulting to others - when they ask for an opinion on something and get insulted for something different...

How is that fair? because they sit on here all day? Its ridiculous - its bullying and its harsh. I understand again everyone has an opinion but you were giving her an opinion on something she never even asked about!

• I dont understand why the regs can be insulting to others - when they ask for an opinion on something and get insulted for something different...

How is that fair? because they sit on here all day? Its ridiculous - its bullying and its harsh. I understand again everyone has an opinion but you were giving her an opinion on something she never even asked about!

The very act of posting here invites opinions, whether they were asked for or not.

Yeah banana is right that this is nothing close to "bullying" and it's really inappropriate to throw that word around. I will, however, disagree with Trixie and her "don't insult the regs" comment because we are not any more entitled to an opinion here than the first time user, but at the same time, no one needs to sugar-coat anything and we can deliver our thoughts how we'd like - regardless of how harsh one might interpret them. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    I dont understand why the regs can be insulting to others - when they ask for an opinion on something and get insulted for something different...

----------boxes--------------

Grow up.

• I DO have to say- 1) I have LOVED wearing matching robes and taking getting ready pics for the one wedding I've been in and 2) my BMs asked me to do this for my wedding so we did. Sorry not sorry. I think it's cute, I love the pictures we got from it- didn't any of y'all take pictures getting ready for prom and stuff in high school? It was fun getting to revisit that feeling and see the transformation.

For the record, before anyone jumps to conclusions- one of the first things my two BFF BMs said to me in the wedding planning process was "Oh, can we do the robe thing for getting ready?" And then I neutrally floated it by SIL BM and she seemed genuinely excited- I know I can't be 100% sure she wasn't secretly seething inside but she's a smart, strong woman and I feel like I presented it in such a way that she would have easily been able to be like "Nah." And I've even seen her wearing it since the wedding! Oh and of course I paid for the robes and of course I bought them individualized presents too. 

SO, the point is, some people just think it's fun. Yes it's silly and unnecessary, but very little that has to do with weddings isn't to some degree. I don't have a Pinterest, I don't think I included any other major trends in my wedding, but it was fun and I loved it. I think this idea gets too much hate- but that being said, this was they first wedding any of my BMs had been in, so I DO see how that could get old (a person really only needs so many robes) and potentially less flattering with age.

As for the bullying discussion- just, rolling my eyes. No one is bullying anyone.
  • edited August 2015
    jacques27 said:
    I DO have to say- 1) I have LOVED wearing matching robes and taking getting ready pics for the one wedding I've been in and 2) my BMs asked me to do this for my wedding so we did. Sorry not sorry. I think it's cute, I love the pictures we got from it- didn't any of y'all take pictures getting ready for prom and stuff in high school? It was fun getting to revisit that feeling and see the transformation.

For the record, before anyone jumps to conclusions- one of the first things my two BFF BMs said to me in the wedding planning process was "Oh, can we do the robe thing for getting ready?" And then I neutrally floated it by SIL BM and she seemed genuinely excited- I know I can't be 100% sure she wasn't secretly seething inside but she's a smart, strong woman and I feel like I presented it in such a way that she would have easily been able to be like "Nah." And I've even seen her wearing it since the wedding! Oh and of course I paid for the robes and of course I bought them individualized presents too. 

SO, the point is, some people just think it's fun. Yes it's silly and unnecessary, but very little that has to do with weddings isn't to some degree. I don't have a Pinterest, I don't think I included any other major trends in my wedding, but it was fun and I loved it. I think this idea gets too much hate- but that being said, this was they first wedding any of my BMs had been in, so I DO see how that could get old (a person really only needs so many robes) and potentially less flattering with age.

As for the bullying discussion- just, rolling my eyes. No one is bullying anyone.
    Actually, no.  17 year old me and all of my then 17-year old friends didn't get pictures taken in various states of undress wearing matching robes.  We all got ready at our respective houses, drove over to the friend's house we were all planning to crash at that night, took photos (fully dressed) with our dates on the front lawn, and then headed over to the event.  At no point did it ever occur to us to dress up like each other and get pictures of the same hair and make-up process we did for everything else - we wanted pictures of the finished product in the special outfits we bought - not our underwear while putting on mascara.
    Woah woah woah- no one was taking any pictures in underwear. Robes do not equal underwear, and "getting ready pics" does not mean being scantily clad. Back then we had a great time taking pictures of doing each others hair, making faces in the mirror, painting our nails etc. We also just liked taking pictures in general, of all kinds of silly stuff we did- and I treasure those photos of candid moments way more than our posed, made-up group prom pictures.

Anyway, that's great that you don't feel the need to do that, but it doesn't make you morally superior to people who think it's fun.

ETA: But you're right that obviously not everyone does the getting ready together w/ pics before prom thing, I didn't mean to ask that like it's some sort of universal experience or whatever. My point was, this phenomenon is not really unique to weddings, despite the fact that robes specifically are trendy right now. Sorry if it's not "dignified" enough for y'all but I just wanted to speak up for the people that really do enjoy this silly, harmless-when-done-correctly practice
  • I once wore a robe for someone during their getting ready moments. My tit fell out. There is a picture somewhere an old friend has of my boob because everyone thought it was HILARIOUS and the bride requested it. We aren't really friends anymore and I get uncomfortable even thinking about it. It was pretty fucking not okay.
  • @themosthappy91

I still don't believe this is something one can actually gauge in this sort of situation. There is always pressure to just go along with the bride (and even if it's one of the other bridesmaids introducing the suggestion, that pressure to make the bride happy and not rock the boat is still there!) and so many people will just hide how they really feel. I would probably be the one to say, "Guys, I don't really want to do that," but if everyone or at least most were super enthusiastic, I would end up rolling my eyes and going along with it.

Plus, it's just a stupid waste of money in the end. Did you really keep those pictures? Order prints? Display them in your home?
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    I took pictures while getting ready for proms and for my wedding. None of it involved wearing matching outfits with my friends. And I can still look back at my pictures and remember the amazingness of the day. Matching outfits would not have made it better or more memorable.

It gets hate because crazy bridezillas think that if their BMs don't all dress alike in cutesy robes for getting ready pictures then their wedding day will be ruined.  It is the fact that people force this ridiculousness onto their adult friends AND try and push off the cheap robe as a gift.

I also think adults who feel the need to coordinate getting ready outfits need to grow up.

I DO have to say- 1) I have LOVED wearing matching robes and taking getting ready pics for the one wedding I've been in and 2) my BMs asked me to do this for my wedding so we did. Sorry not sorry. I think it's cute, I love the pictures we got from it- didn't any of y'all take pictures getting ready for prom and stuff in high school? It was fun getting to revisit that feeling and see the transformation.

• @themosthappy91

I still don't believe this is something one can actually gauge in this sort of situation. There is always pressure to just go along with the bride (and even if it's one of the other bridesmaids introducing the suggestion, that pressure to make the bride happy and not rock the boat is still there!) and so many people will just hide how they really feel. I would probably be the one to say, "Guys, I don't really want to do that," but if everyone or at least most were super enthusiastic, I would end up rolling my eyes and going along with it.

Plus, it's just a stupid waste of money in the end. Did you really keep those pictures? Order prints? Display them in your home?
    I absolutely ordered prints and display those photos! I have one on my dresser I'm looking at right now.

You're right that it's a waste of money- in so far as basically everything about a wedding is a waste of money besides the fees you pay to get the actual license and JOP. You don't need any of it, you're just doing it because you enjoy it.

I don't think I or my friends need to grow up (I know that wasn't you who said that, just condensing my response)- it's just silly fun and has no bearing on what kind of people we are that we enjoyed wearing robes while getting ready. Get over yourself if you think this is some sort of indication of a moral failing or lack of maturity- it's no more stupid than all wearing matching/similar color dresses in the bridal party or hundred of other unnecessary things people do at weddings just for fun.
  • We didn't take getting ready pictures for prom. I've never heard of anyone doing that. I got my hair and nails done at a salon, and then put my dress on at home. Then my friends came over ALREADY DRESSED and we all took pictures before getting in the limo. 

I have pictures of me getting ready the day of my wedding. My and my MOH drinking mimosas. Hanging with my mom and MIL. My best friend doing my hair and makeup. We're all wearing normal clothes. They're nice pics to have. That's it. 
  • We didn't take getting ready pictures for prom. I've never heard of anyone doing that. I got my hair and nails done at a salon, and then put my dress on at home. Then my friends came over ALREADY DRESSED and we all took pictures before getting in the limo. 

I have pictures of me getting ready the day of my wedding. My and my MOH drinking mimosas. Hanging with my mom and MIL. My best friend doing my hair and makeup. We're all wearing normal clothes. They're nice pics to have. That's it. 
    My "getting ready" pictures for prom consisted of me and a friend getting our hair done at the salon.  Basically us acting goofy and taking candid shots, not really posed, professional shots. Which is basically the same types of pictures I took while getting ready for my wedding.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards