Budget Weddings Forum
Options

How is $10,000 not enough?!

13»

Re: How is $10,000 not enough?!

• Options
    doclago said:
    Can the open bar means don't have a bar at all....unless there is no extra fee for cash bar but you still have to pay the bartenders,etc. 

When you work with  catering company the all hors de vours can be MUCH less expensive than a full dinner. You have to look around and it depends on where you live as well. Restaurant prices and catering prices are much different.

Advertisements are usually tasteful standing cards and possibly business cards for people to take...usually nothing obtrusive 
    No cash bar.  Open bar or no bar are your only polite options.  The open bar doesn't have to offer all alcohols (i.e. beer and wine only is fine), but it cannot accept your guests' money.
  • Options
    doclago said:
    Can the open bar means don't have a bar at all....unless there is no extra fee for cash bar but you still have to pay the bartenders,etc. 

When you work with  catering company the all hors de vours can be MUCH less expensive than a full dinner. You have to look around and it depends on where you live as well. Restaurant prices and catering prices are much different.

Advertisements are usually tasteful standing cards and possibly business cards for people to take...usually nothing obtrusive 
    FTR, cash bars are extremely rude.  You had a lot of good suggestions but guests should never have to open their wallets at your reception, which is a "Thank You" to your guests for attending the ceremony.  The option of no alcohol is totally acceptable from an etiquette standpoint, a cash bar is not.  
  • Options
    doclago said:

Cash bar is unacceptable.  It's fine not to serve alcohol or to only serve (and pay for) beer and wine, but  a cash bar should be a no-go.

Also, if you have a wedding and reception over a meal time (e.g. starting between 11 am - 2 pm or 5-8 pm) you need to serve enough hors d'oeuvres to equal a full meal, and that is almost always as expensive, if not more expensive, than an actual meal.  Individual bites of something take a whole lot more time and labor to prepare.

• Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    In my best Joan Crawford voice: NO. CASH. BA-ARS!!!!!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    In my best Joan Crawford voice: NO. CASH. BA-ARS!!!!!
    Haha, was that a "Mommy Dearest" reference?  Terrifying movie.  
  • Options
    My budget isn't set in stone but I'm trying to keep it around $10,000 ($5,000 each). I found that a lot of cheaper venues were completely diy and the cost of all the vendors would make it more expensive. We finally settled on a bar that gives us free ceremony time, alcohol (wine beer, liquor), bartenders, chairs, tables, linens, and it's also nicely decorated for like $3,300. This is a really fair price for a Saturday night.  I know what I want to spend per person on food (max $20) and I'm finding a lot of options. Being in a big city helps. Our parents are getting the cake and flowers but everything else is up to us. It's totally doable.
  • Options
    I don't know where you are from or how many guests you are having, but I'm from NYC and was able to plan my family member's wedding for under $5,000!

*Daytime brunch, champagne punch, wine, buffet with a mix of breakfast items and pasta, chicken marsala, coffee, tea, soft drinks
    * Wedding Cake
    * Candy Favors
    * Bouquets and bouts for couple and MOH/BM and flower girl
    * Single flower floating centerpieces with vases from local discount store
    * Candle holders from Dollar Store ($15)
    * Rented wedding dress and jewelry from Renttherunway.com ($250)
    * Suits on sale from JC Penny ($200)
    * Wedding favor magnets for thank you card and invites from Vistaprint.com ($50)
    * No limo, but a nice town car to bring couple back and forth to venue ($200)
    * Photo only package from local photographer ($500)
    * Justice of the Peace ($300)

This was based on 50 guests.  That being said, if you keep in smaller, $10,000 is more than enough.  You just have to plan smarter and get a smaller venue that has day events, and space for both wedding reception and ceremony.  Sometimes you could get lucky by having it in a hotel restaurant.

• Options

A couple things-

1. Id fine a new venue if you can. We are having our wedding at the local fire hall, $350 to rent the hall if I use them as my caterer- which we are. We are having a mid-day wedding, so will be serving lunch. $13.00/pp for lunch buffet, includes soup, sides, 2 entrees, and tea/lemonade/coffee. We are having about 180 people at our wedding. Depending where you are- fire halls can be really inexpensive, and accessible. I am in central- PA.

2. Dry wedding. Cuts cost and the risk of people becoming belligerent. I told FI if he wanted alcohol it was on him to pay for it and deal with it. Im not paying for it. We MAY do spiked apple cider- made by us. We'll see if theres $$ at the end.

3. We found a DJ that is new to the area so trying to build his business. We are doing a 1 min testimonial video for him at the end of the reception- in exchange for a great deal. I don't have great tips on finding someone like that- but I just used the knot vendors page to find Inexpensive vendors.

Good luck! Our budget is also $10,000 but not including honeymoon in that. And we may be getting help from his parents, wont be getting any help from mine. My parents already foot the bill for one $10,000 wedding that didn't happen.

• Options
    Who said anything about a cash bar???  CAN the bar means DON"T HAVE A BAR....get rid of it...don't serve alcohol...because it is really expensive....you pay per person and per bartended and per hour with an automatic 20% gratuity. 
  • Options
    doclago said:
    Who said anything about a cash bar???  CAN the bar means DON"T HAVE A BAR....get rid of it...don't serve alcohol...because it is really expensive....you pay per person and per bartended and per hour with an automatic 20% gratuity. 
    Then you should say can the bar, not can the open bar.

• Options
    Viczaesar said:

doclago said:

Cash bar is unacceptable.  It's fine not to serve alcohol or to only serve (and pay for) beer and wine, but  a cash bar should be a no-go.

Also, if you have a wedding and reception over a meal time (e.g. starting between 11 am - 2 pm or 5-8 pm) you need to serve enough hors d'oeuvres to equal a full meal, and that is almost always as expensive, if not more expensive, than an actual meal.  Individual bites of something take a whole lot more time and labor to prepare.

Thank you!! So many people have this misconception that 14 apps will cost less than serving 2-4 really solid entree and/or salad choices. All of those bitsy piecey things will up the labor costs from your caterer considerably...do you know how long it takes to cut star-shaped pieces of bread out and mince beets for vegan ceviche and wrap each piece of asparagus with prosciutto and top w/ four pieces of lemon rind? Word to the wise trying to cut costs (source: grew up in the restaurant biz).

I am now planning my wedding and probably doing simple but good quality cheeses w/ jam/fruit/crackers/chutney as apps and spend our limited budget on solid entrees from our caterer.
  • Options
    Could somebody please close this zombie thread?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards