Wedding Party

Pretty Plum Sugar Robes for Bridesmaid gifts?

13»

Re: Pretty Plum Sugar Robes for Bridesmaid gifts?

• We didn't take getting ready pictures for prom. I've never heard of anyone doing that. I got my hair and nails done at a salon, and then put my dress on at home. Then my friends came over ALREADY DRESSED and we all took pictures before getting in the limo. 

I have pictures of me getting ready the day of my wedding. My and my MOH drinking mimosas. Hanging with my mom and MIL. My best friend doing my hair and makeup. We're all wearing normal clothes. They're nice pics to have. That's it. 
    My "getting ready" pictures for prom consisted of me and a friend getting our hair done at the salon.  Basically us acting goofy and taking candid shots, not really posed, professional shots. Which is basically the same types of pictures I took while getting ready for my wedding.
    Yeah, I could see that. If my friends had gone to the same salon as me, we probably would have taken pics of each other. 
  • @themosthappy91

I still don't believe this is something one can actually gauge in this sort of situation. There is always pressure to just go along with the bride (and even if it's one of the other bridesmaids introducing the suggestion, that pressure to make the bride happy and not rock the boat is still there!) and so many people will just hide how they really feel.

Anyway, I agree with this. For an upcoming wedding in which I'm a BM, we weren't going to have matching shoes until another bridesmaid said, "Oooo gold shoes would look so pretty!" and another said "Ooo then we should wear matching Converse at the reception!" Luckily I think everyone forgot about it, but yes, I sat there silent and bemoaned having to buy more shoes I'd never wear when I have perfectly pretty black shoes that match the dress. 

Then, I just recently opened my fat mouth and told the bride about a Harry Potter themed bachelorette I saw out one night. (Matching tank tops.) The bride got really excited and another BM offered to buy her the "from Muggle to Mrs" tank top to get ready in the day-of. I haven't been told to buy my coordinating tank top, and if I were, it's like $20. Do I particularly want to engage in matchy matchy getting ready stuff? No. But would I? Yes, because it'll make one of my closest friends very happy. (At least it's a tank top and not a skimpy robe!)

• julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    I'm not doing getting ready pictures or doing matching robes or any of that, because that's not my style.  But just because I wouldn't do it, doesn't mean it's a stupid idea if everyone in a wedding party is good with it.  Obviously if people are uncomfortable with it they shouldn't be made to do it.  Some people on here act like because it's on Pinterest or they wouldn't do it, that means it's a terrible idea and nobody should do it. 

And as for boobs falling out of the robes... wouldn't an easy solution to that to be to wear, I dunno, underwear under the robe?
    Married 9.12.15
  • Even if all your friends would love to take pictures getting ready in matching robes, finding robes that everyone would like would be next to impossible. I'd love a robe (would hate to be photographed in it) but I don't trust anyone to find me one I'd like. I'm just too picky. I don't even let my husband buy me clothes because even he can't get it right.
  • My BMs (I only had two) ambushed me with a robe THEY bought ME and they bought themselves black robes. They even got my mother in on it, however she was allowed to bring her own (long and not see through) robe. 

I think the photos are pretty, but not because we match, I think the photos are pretty because our hair and makeup looks amazing and we are clearly having fun together. 
  • @themosthappy91

I still don't believe this is something one can actually gauge in this sort of situation. There is always pressure to just go along with the bride (and even if it's one of the other bridesmaids introducing the suggestion, that pressure to make the bride happy and not rock the boat is still there!) and so many people will just hide how they really feel.

Anyway, I agree with this. For an upcoming wedding in which I'm a BM, we weren't going to have matching shoes until another bridesmaid said, "Oooo gold shoes would look so pretty!" and another said "Ooo then we should wear matching Converse at the reception!" Luckily I think everyone forgot about it, but yes, I sat there silent and bemoaned having to buy more shoes I'd never wear when I have perfectly pretty black shoes that match the dress. 

Then, I just recently opened my fat mouth and told the bride about a Harry Potter themed bachelorette I saw out one night. (Matching tank tops.) The bride got really excited and another BM offered to buy her the "from Muggle to Mrs" tank top to get ready in the day-of. I haven't been told to buy my coordinating tank top, and if I were, it's like $20. Do I particularly want to engage in matchy matchy getting ready stuff? No. But would I? Yes, because it'll make one of my closest friends very happy. (At least it's a tank top and not a skimpy robe!)
    Now this trend is the real affront to humanity. I HATE HATE HATE the stupid converse for the bridal party thing. So ugly, plus aren't those things pretty expensive? And honestly, as much as I would not like to be required to wear matching shoes of any type, I would much rather be told to buy a heel of any sort, which I will probably wear again unless it was utterly ridiculous, than a sneaker that I rarely see on anyone over the age of 17 (no offense Converse lovers, they just are very much not the style of anyone I know).

That said, I guess if you really want to buy it for me I'd wear it if you really want me to. It's a sneaker, so I guess that's not something anyone feels uncomfortable wearing (that I can think of?).

• @themosthappy91

I still don't believe this is something one can actually gauge in this sort of situation. There is always pressure to just go along with the bride (and even if it's one of the other bridesmaids introducing the suggestion, that pressure to make the bride happy and not rock the boat is still there!) and so many people will just hide how they really feel. I would probably be the one to say, "Guys, I don't really want to do that," but if everyone or at least most were super enthusiastic, I would end up rolling my eyes and going along with it.

Plus, it's just a stupid waste of money in the end. Did you really keep those pictures? Order prints? Display them in your home?
    I absolutely ordered prints and display those photos! I have one on my dresser I'm looking at right now. You're right that it's a waste of money- in so far as basically everything about a wedding is a waste of money besides the fees you pay to get the actual license and JOP. You don't need any of it, you're just doing it because you enjoy it. I don't think I or my friends need to grow up (I know that wasn't you who said that, just condensing my response)- it's just silly fun and has no bearing on what kind of people we are that we enjoyed wearing robes while getting ready. Get over yourself if you think this is some sort of indication of a moral failing or lack of maturity- it's no more stupid than all wearing matching/similar color dresses in the bridal party or hundred of other unnecessary things people do at weddings just for fun.
    I'm glad that you printed and enjoy the pictures. I think you are in the teeniest tiniest minority in that respect.
  • @themosthappy91

I still don't believe this is something one can actually gauge in this sort of situation. There is always pressure to just go along with the bride (and even if it's one of the other bridesmaids introducing the suggestion, that pressure to make the bride happy and not rock the boat is still there!) and so many people will just hide how they really feel. I would probably be the one to say, "Guys, I don't really want to do that," but if everyone or at least most were super enthusiastic, I would end up rolling my eyes and going along with it.

Plus, it's just a stupid waste of money in the end. Did you really keep those pictures? Order prints? Display them in your home?
    I absolutely ordered prints and display those photos! I have one on my dresser I'm looking at right now. You're right that it's a waste of money- in so far as basically everything about a wedding is a waste of money besides the fees you pay to get the actual license and JOP. You don't need any of it, you're just doing it because you enjoy it. I don't think I or my friends need to grow up (I know that wasn't you who said that, just condensing my response)- it's just silly fun and has no bearing on what kind of people we are that we enjoyed wearing robes while getting ready. Get over yourself if you think this is some sort of indication of a moral failing or lack of maturity- it's no more stupid than all wearing matching/similar color dresses in the bridal party or hundred of other unnecessary things people do at weddings just for fun.
    I'm glad that you printed and enjoy the pictures. I think you are in the teeniest tiniest minority in that respect.
    Certainly on TK I am! Which is really the whole reason I posted- I know I'm not going to win any converts on this issue, I just feel like it should be stated that SOME reasonable people do actually like this trend and think it's cute. I feel like if anything my experience as a BM speaks more to this than my experience as a bride- I loved getting a robe and taking fun pictures in it! 

I think in terms of IRL it's probably much more common to think this trend is fun and cute than it is on TK- I guess that kind of goes without saying, since that's how it became a trend.

For the record though- I totally support you ladies coming down hard on this topic when brides are being gross about it- doing the robes in lieu of other gifts, forcing it on their BMs, trying to get away with buying robes that are cheap and overly skimpy etc. I just wanted to speak up and try to be that one lone example of a person who did the trend right, if such a thing can possibly exist. Lol.
  • Getting ready for Prom entailed nothing special. I got ready for Prom pretty much the same way I always got ready for a night out. Actually, I did it pretty much the same way I got ready for school every day. Curled my hair. Put on makeup. Oooh, Ahhh, Ohhhhh. The only difference was a fancier outfit.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • justsie said:

I once wore a robe for someone during their getting ready moments. My tit fell out. There is a picture somewhere an old friend has of my boob because everyone thought it was HILARIOUS and the bride requested it. We aren't really friends anymore and I get uncomfortable even thinking about it. It was pretty fucking not okay.

Now THAT is the definition of being bullied. I'm sorry that happened to you.
  • Teddy917 said:
    Even if all your friends would love to take pictures getting ready in matching robes, finding robes that everyone would like would be next to impossible. I'd love a robe (would hate to be photographed in it) but I don't trust anyone to find me one I'd like. I'm just too picky. I don't even let my husband buy me clothes because even he can't get it right.
    Agree.  I don't understand why anyone would want to be photographed in a robe.  And to know the person may have printed and displayed the photo?  It creeps me out thinking about it.  I mean, surely there are much nicer photos all dressed up, no?  I wouldn't do it, no matter how much I loved the bride. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards