Wedding Woes

I'd smack my SIL, pregnant or not.

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited September 2015 in Wedding Woes

Dear Prudence,
My brother and sister-in-law are expecting their second child next month, and they asked if I would babysit their 3-year-old son while they are at the hospital. I gladly agreed and recently visited their home for a long weekend to get to know their child care routine better. They are in the process of potty-training their son “Joe,” and part of their training is letting the child watch the parents use the bathroom. During my visit, I went into the bathroom, and Joe came in mid-use. When I told him he needed to wait until I was done, he said, “But I want to watch you.” I didn’t want to freak him out, so I calmly repeated my request that he wait outside, but he did not leave. I finished using the bathroom, washed my hands, and we both went back to the living room. Joe told his mother, “I saw auntie peeing!” This greatly upset my sister-in-law. She told me that it was very inappropriate to “take him into the bathroom” with me, despite my explaining that he had followed me. She has also made several comments to other family members about my “pervy” act—her words. She keeps bringing up how upset she is by my “inappropriate actions” toward her son. I don’t know how else to get through to her that I did not intentionally urinate in front of her child. I am at the point where I no longer want to drive seven hours to babysit when she goes into labor. But I also know that she and my brother don’t have any friends in town, and I don’t want to deprive him of the opportunity to see their second child born. What should I do?

—Unhappy Auntie

Re: I'd smack my SIL, pregnant or not.

• If the kid won't leave the bathroom, why didn't she just yell for her SIL to come and get the kid out of there?

And there is no way in hell I would be watching this kid after the shit this SIL is doing.
  • The heck? I wouldn't watch the kid either. SIL is looking for problems.
  • ESPECIALLY with the whole telling other people that she's pervy.
  • All of the above andplusalso, WHY is she not parenting her son in regard to privacy and when people are in the bathroom, he's not to be in there?!  He's 3...Not too young to learn about privacy and respect.  

And they're bringing another kid into this mess.  

AND where the hell is the brother telling his wife to knock it off?! 
  • You really can't stop mid-stream, you know.
  • sounds like SIL and brother don't have any friends in town for a good reason. 

I'd be telling SIL that she's on her own for childcare - since I didn't think I could hold it for the duration of her hospital stay, and didn't want to risk perverting or endangering her child. (OP locking herself in the bathroom to pee could be a safety issue.)

I know it's also a different bodily function, but maybe SIL needs a copy of "Everybody Poops."

• hmonkey said:
    ESPECIALLY with the whole telling other people that she's pervy.
    YES.  WTH?  And how has no one else told SIL to STFU/EABOD about it?
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015

First child problems...  (WTF is going to the bathroom alone all about?!?!?  Around here we call that "the kid isn't using a marker his sister left somewhere - like on a high shelf - and he got ahold of it and decided I needed new artwork on the walls - aka - new paint color in a year or two because I've already given up because the crap doesn't come off whatever the previous owners used to paint the walls with!"..)

Especially since I'm in the throws of potty training right now (I was the smug trainer of a girl until DS came along - who is HE** on FREAKING EARTH to get trained, and this in fact was one of the suggestions we got from our DCP!), this really is a normal for kids in that age range.  I also think the SIL is just looking for drama when she claimed the pervy comment and the aunt needs to say "Sorry, after the way you reacted, I'm really not comfortable watching your child while you're in the hospital, I don't want to be perceived as pervy when it comes to helping potty train your child nor change their diaper.  Maybe your H can watch the LO while you're in L&D instead!" (it also puts the Mom on notice that STFU - she's probably the type that'd give off the "would like to throat punch you just for existing" type energy to be around)

ETA: Do they even have a lock?!?!?

• HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2015
    Drive seven hours to babysit when she goes into labor?  I hope they have a stopgap in town to take the kid until aunt shows up, considering it's a second kid.  Seven hours after I woke up in labor with DS, he was delivered, cleaned up, had nursed a few times, and I had a breakfast burrito under my belt.  Second (and subsequent) labors can go fast.

All that aside, I would tell my brother that if SIL thinks I'm pervy and is concerned enough that she's told the entire family, then it's best that they find some non-pervert to watch their kid from now on.
  • Maybe SIL should have an at home water birth with dolphins as midwives - just don't let the kid see, it may warp his mind. 
  • They are in the process of potty-training their son “Joe,” and part of their training is letting the child watch the parents use the bathroom.

So it's not pervy for the kid to watch parents pee? Just if he watches the aunt?

• *Barbie* said:
    Maybe SIL should have an at home water birth with dolphins as midwives - just don't let the kid see, it may warp his mind. 
    So much this!!!  Don't forget the GD Essential Oils!!!!
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited September 2015
    Don't the dolphins prefer cod liver oil?

Does it have to be fermented, or would that make them tipsy dolph-oluas?

• GBCK said:
    Don't the dolphins prefer cod liver oil?

Does it have to be fermented, or would that make them tipsy dolph-oluas?

yes, but not too much. people would think they were shellfish
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards