North Carolina

No cocktail hour

My fiance and I are having our wedding at 11am and the ceremony and reception are at the same location. We don't think it's necessary to have a cocktail since we only plan on taking maybe 30 minutes on pictures after the ceremony. Is this a bad idea? We just don't want to spend more money since we're on tight budget.

Re: No cocktail hour

• Makes great sense to me.  After all, you're getting married at 11:00.  Who needs buzzed guests before noon?  I would just suggest having family members in place to keep everyone occupied.
  • You should probably have something for guests to eat/drink, maybe something like coffee/tea and coffee cake/fruit? Shouldn't cost all that much.

An alternative would be to skip post-ceremony pictures and move directly from ceremony to reception. 
  • My fiance and I are having our wedding at 11am and the ceremony and reception are at the same location. We don't think it's necessary to have a cocktail since we only plan on taking maybe 30 minutes on pictures after the ceremony. Is this a bad idea? We just don't want to spend more money since we're on tight budget.
    The point of cocktail hour is to host your guests while you're doing photos.  What are your guests who are not in the photos with you going to do for that half hour?  You can't expect them to just stand around without any kind of refreshments, even if it's just nonalcoholic drinks and cheese/crackers/veggie tray.

• As a planner, I would suggest having some non-alcoholic refreshments or maybe a simple breakfast cocktail like mimosas. Also some simple cheese and fruit trays. It is important that the transition period while you and the wedding party are taking pictures is smooth and seamless from the guest prospective.
  • I'm in a similar predicament. Our timeline is pretty tight. Ceremony at 6 dinner at 7 The ceremony and reception are in the same place and my FI doesn't want to see me dressed before the wedding (he's superstitious) so post ceremony is our only option. Our bar opens after the ceremony and we will be at a beautiful Japanese Garden, I am asking the DJ to encourage the guests to get a drink ( iced tea, water, beer, or wine) and explore the garden. And let them know dinner starts at 7.
  • You might not need a full-blown cocktail hour, but you definitely need to have something for your guests to do while you're off taking photos.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards