Chit Chat
Options

Pope Francis

As a non-practicing Catholic I'm still in awe of the pope. I watching live him at the WH.  

Dude, he looks bored.  For someone as humble as he is, he must be uncomfortable in the US.    

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: Pope Francis

• Options
    Is this getting coverage like wild across the country, or is the whole "Pope in Philly" thing just insane in and around Philly? I gotta tell you...I will be happy when this is all over. This is my last day in my Philly office because it's getting too hectic to come in.
  • Options
    abcdevonn said:
    Is this getting coverage like wild across the country, or is the whole "Pope in Philly" thing just insane in and around Philly? I gotta tell you...I will be happy when this is all over. This is my last day in my Philly office because it's getting too hectic to come in.
    I have a friend who teaches at Temple, and she said they cancelled classes for the end of this week because of how crazy things will be. Her plan is to stock up on groceries and then not leave her apartment till Monday. 
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    abcdevonn said:
    My BFF lives on the emergency route.  She had to stop parking her car in front of her house yesterday and the pope doesn't even arrive until Saturday.      All Philly public schools are closed starting TODAY.   Some gov't offices are closed also starting today or tomorrow.   

She has a house in Poconos and plan on taking the kids  up there it's so crazy.

ETA  - she lives in downtown and her street is the get away route if something was to happen to the pope.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    They did the same in NYC.   I think they started towing cars yesterday and he's not due there yet!

But I understand how the areas need to prepare.   The Pope is the head of the Catholic Church.   As a Catholic, I love him and think he's doing a great job.

But even if you're not Catholic, I understand that any visit of his requires some extreme preparation given his status.  I wish that NY handled the visit differently because it would have been great to try to go there and it's not that far for me. 
  • Options
    LOVE this pope.  As much as you can love someone you've never met but strongly admire.  The preparations in NYC seem like the 2015 version of parting the Red Sea for him.
  • Options

I guess I just don't understand all the fanfare. 

I don't currently have any work in NYC, but I should probably figure out exactly when I have to avoid the city.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Security in NYC is extra tricky right now because not only is the Pope coming, but the UN General Assembly is in session so there are leaders and dignitaries from all over the world there. It's a logistical nightmare, and I give them a lot of credit for being able to pull this off.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Security in NYC is extra tricky right now because not only is the Pope coming, but the UN General Assembly is in session so there are leaders and dignitaries from all over the world there. It's a logistical nightmare, and I give them a lot of credit for being able to pull this off.
    Isn't he scheduled to speak to the General Assembly?

I have 880AM streaming and they mentioned that a lot of people who can work from home are working from home when possible.   I do feel bad for anyone who can't.   The congestion and commuting must be a giant PITA - especially near Penn Station from what I hear. 
  • Options
    luckya23luckya23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2015
    lyndausvi said:
    luckya23 said:

I don't currently have any work in NYC, but I should probably figure out exactly when I have to avoid the city.

Really?  You do not get the Pope is the spiritually leader to some 37 million Americans and some billion over the world?   

I don't get World Cup Football (soccer), but I can appreciate that it's important to billions of people around the world.

I would say the same about the world cup - thinking all the hoopla is silly.  And academy awards, other big sporting events, etc. 

It's just not something I can fathom personally being excited about, I guess.  I have been described as a not very excitable person, though.

Spiritual leaders are definitely not my thing at all.

ETA: You can add weddings to my list of overhyped things too! ... And yet here I am.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I'm not Catholic, but am oddly fascinated with the Pope and this visit. I just spent time watching some videos of it on CNN.

But, I also woke up early to watch the royal wedding when that happened, again, no real reason, but I found it interesting. I suppose as a historical event.

Here in Phoenix, there has been a fair amount of coverage I would say. Most news stations sent reporters to get live coverage. I cannot imagine the craziness being there. I wonder what happened with the girl on one of these boards whose wedding was planned this weekend in Philly.
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    abcdevonn said:
    My BFF lives on the emergency route.  She had to stop parking her car in front of her house yesterday and the pope doesn't even arrive until Saturday.      All Philly public schools are closed starting TODAY.   Some gov't offices are closed also starting today or tomorrow.   

She has a house in Poconos and plan on taking the kids  up there it's so crazy.

ETA  - she lives in downtown and her street is the get away route if something was to happen to the pope.
    Yeah--I am thankfully clearing out of the office and high-tailing it to NYC (which apparently isn't any better?). They are shutting our office down tomorrow, anyway, because everyone is getting towed and it's just a big old bag of yuck. We're all working from home. TBH, I'm really, deeply annoyed by all the inconvenience. Also, not loving the lines upon lines of Port-o-Potties all along the sidewalks. I should probably add that I am not even remotely religious, but I do like this dude. It's just...this city is not set up to handle this kind of gathering.
  • Options

Being right across the river from Philly, we have been having almost non-stop Pope coverage for the last month.  They started towing cars on Sunday to clear the various no-car zones.  They are closing major bridges that connect PA & NJ, closing major highways, and basically closing down a huge section of the city for days to accommodate Francis's visit.

I also totally planned to attend the mass on Sunday, but I inadvertently scheduled a weekend away in the Poconos for this same weekend.  So we will be watching the mass on TV instead of being there live.  I don't even know if anyone would have gone with me, my H hates crowds, but I was very much planning to go, even if it was by myself!

I have a friend who lives just off the Ben Franklin Parkway where the Festival of Families and the Mass will take place.  Her building is outside of the fenced in area, but inside the no-car zone.  I don't know what she did with her car.  I offered to her & her BF the opportunity to stay at my house for the weekend, but they are hunkering down and staying put.  Their building will be on lockdown for the duration as well.  Only tenants listed on the lease will be allowed in or out of the building and must show ID to get anywhere in the common areas.  So anyone who may have listed their apartment on AirB&B were out of luck once they made that announcement! 

I love Pope Francis!  I love the messages that he is spreading.  I think he is exactly what the Church needed after having Benedict as Pope.  I think Benedict was more of a dividing force, but Francis is trying to bring everyone back together.  I love that he practices his message in a do as I do method instead of a do as I say method.  I think so many of his actions are displaying what it truly means to be a Christian.

• Options
    I'm in Chicago-land and when Obama comes back to town it gets crazy too, but I don't think I've heard about them towing cars days in advance.  I could be wrong though...
  • Options

Being right across the river from Philly, we have been having almost non-stop Pope coverage for the last month.  They started towing cars on Sunday to clear the various no-car zones.  They are closing major bridges that connect PA & NJ, closing major highways, and basically closing down a huge section of the city for days to accommodate Francis's visit.

I also totally planned to attend the mass on Sunday, but I inadvertently scheduled a weekend away in the Poconos for this same weekend.  So we will be watching the mass on TV instead of being there live.  I don't even know if anyone would have gone with me, my H hates crowds, but I was very much planning to go, even if it was by myself!

I have a friend who lives just off the Ben Franklin Parkway where the Festival of Families and the Mass will take place.  Her building is outside of the fenced in area, but inside the no-car zone.  I don't know what she did with her car.  I offered to her & her BF the opportunity to stay at my house for the weekend, but they are hunkering down and staying put.  Their building will be on lockdown for the duration as well.  Only tenants listed on the lease will be allowed in or out of the building and must show ID to get anywhere in the common areas.  So anyone who may have listed their apartment on AirB&B were out of luck once they made that announcement! 

I love Pope Francis!  I love the messages that he is spreading.  I think he is exactly what the Church needed after having Benedict as Pope.  I think Benedict was more of a dividing force, but Francis is trying to bring everyone back together.  I love that he practices his message in a do as I do method instead of a do as I say method.  I think so many of his actions are displaying what it truly means to be a Christian.

I have a lot of family in that area (I'm from DE, grew up in Chester county PA).   I was on WPVI website and was surprised that they are shutting down the Ben Franklin bridge among others. 

Not sure why I was surprised, but I like like damn.    I guess that is why the Eagles are playing in NJ this weekend.

• Options
    banana468 said:
    Isn't he scheduled to speak to the General Assembly?

I have 880AM streaming and they mentioned that a lot of people who can work from home are working from home when possible.   I do feel bad for anyone who can't.   The congestion and commuting must be a giant PITA - especially near Penn Station from what I hear. 
    Yes, he's supposed to address them at 8:30 on Friday morning.

My sister works in the City, but I'm not sure if she has to go into her office this week or not. My company has a huge event on Friday and we're pretty sure we've lost some attendance because of Francis. I was hoping to catch the coverage on TV but I'll probably still be in jury duty.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    luckya23 said:
    lyndausvi said:
    luckya23 said:

Really?  You do not get the Pope is the spiritually leader to some 37 million Americans and some billion over the world?   

I don't get World Cup Football (soccer), but I can appreciate that it's important to billions of people around the world.

I would say the same about the world cup - thinking all the hoopla is silly.  And academy awards, other big sporting events, etc. 

It's just not something I can fathom personally being excited about, I guess.  I have been described as a not very excitable person, though.

Spiritual leaders are definitely not my thing at all.

ETA: You can add weddings to my list of overhyped things too! ... And yet here I am.

Are you saying that you can't get excited about this or that you can't understand others getting excited about it?   I think that may walk a fine line from not excitable to unsympathetic. 
  • Options
    I have to say, I'm actually a really anti-religious person, but I quite like the current pope. He's actually done some good in the world IMO.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hell, even I'm intrigued by the Pope.
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

I have a lot of family in that area (I'm from DE, grew up in Chester county PA).   I was on WPVI website and was surprised that they are shutting down the Ben Franklin bridge among others. 

Not sure why I was surprised, but I like like damn.    I guess that is why the Eagles are playing in NJ this weekend.

The Flyers have a pre-season game on Friday night, I was surprised to hear they weren't moving it.

But the big reason they were shutting down the Ben Franklin was so that people can use it as a walking bridge.  The initial plan was that buses full of people were going to be parking in Camden and then the people would walk the rest of the way to the various festivities.  They also had a news conference telling anyone in NJ who wanted to go to Philly for the Pope had to walk.  They would not allow people to drive their cars and park in Camden and take the bridge.  So they made this graphic, which I'm attempting to post below.  It was to show people how long it would take from them to walk from their homes.  Supposedly local officials tested these estimates for walking.

But the bus plan for Camden fell through and now they are allowing people to park their cars in Camden and walk over the bridge or take the ferry.  You have to pre-pay to park your car there each day.  The lots are open from 6 AM to like 10 PM or something like that.image

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

The Flyers have a pre-season game on Friday night, I was surprised to hear they weren't moving it.

But the big reason they were shutting down the Ben Franklin was so that people can use it as a walking bridge.  The initial plan was that buses full of people were going to be parking in Camden and then the people would walk the rest of the way to the various festivities.  They also had a news conference telling anyone in NJ who wanted to go to Philly for the Pope had to walk.  They would not allow people to drive their cars and park in Camden and take the bridge.  So they made this graphic, which I'm attempting to post below.  It was to show people how long it would take from them to walk from their homes.  Supposedly local officials tested these estimates for walking.

But the bus plan for Camden fell through and now they are allowing people to park their cars in Camden and walk over the bridge or take the ferry.  You have to pre-pay to park your car there each day.  The lots are open from 6 AM to like 10 PM or something like that.image

I have seen this graphic all over Facebook and this is the first time anyone told me what it meant. That is INSANE. 
  • Options
    abcdevonn said:
    lyndausvi said:

I have seen this graphic all over Facebook and this is the first time anyone told me what it meant. That is INSANE. 
    I thought it was projected driving times.    I really need to actually read some articles and not just see the photo   

::feeling ashamed::

• Options

Cutting off the quote tree:

We are going to the Poconos tomorrow and a friend and her H are joining us on Friday.  She just sent me that graphic and said, OMG - we might not make it!  I told her, unless they were planning to walk, that graphic doesn't mean anything.  Of all the crazy stuff the news has been covering, that graphic is like the most doom creating graphic, especially now that the original information that the graphic represented is not really stated. 

• Options

We are going to the Poconos tomorrow and a friend and her H are joining us on Friday.  She just sent me that graphic and said, OMG - we might not make it!  I told her, unless they were planning to walk, that graphic doesn't mean anything.  Of all the crazy stuff the news has been covering, that graphic is like the most doom creating graphic, especially now that the original information that the graphic represented is not really stated. 

YES! I thought it was projected driving times as well. But I do think it's wild that they are recommending people walk to Philly. I can imagine the Camden waterfront is going to be a serious mess on Friday/Saturday. The sheer number of cars parked within the 5 mile zone will be wild. 

Honestly, I'm hoping this is all completely overblown and it really won't be that bad.
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    abcdevonn said:

YES! I thought it was projected driving times as well. But I do think it's wild that they are recommending people walk to Philly. I can imagine the Camden waterfront is going to be a serious mess on Friday/Saturday. The sheer number of cars parked within the 5 mile zone will be wild. 

Honestly, I'm hoping this is all completely overblown and it really won't be that bad.
    I look forward in seeing the  masses of people walking over the Ben Franklin bridge.  
    ETA - Why can't they have buses on the Philly side, just running people from the bridge to the pkwy?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards