Chit Chat

Pope Francis

Re: Pope Francis

• lyndausvi said:

Being right across the river from Philly, we have been having almost non-stop Pope coverage for the last month.  They started towing cars on Sunday to clear the various no-car zones.  They are closing major bridges that connect PA & NJ, closing major highways, and basically closing down a huge section of the city for days to accommodate Francis's visit.

I also totally planned to attend the mass on Sunday, but I inadvertently scheduled a weekend away in the Poconos for this same weekend.  So we will be watching the mass on TV instead of being there live.  I don't even know if anyone would have gone with me, my H hates crowds, but I was very much planning to go, even if it was by myself!

I have a friend who lives just off the Ben Franklin Parkway where the Festival of Families and the Mass will take place.  Her building is outside of the fenced in area, but inside the no-car zone.  I don't know what she did with her car.  I offered to her & her BF the opportunity to stay at my house for the weekend, but they are hunkering down and staying put.  Their building will be on lockdown for the duration as well.  Only tenants listed on the lease will be allowed in or out of the building and must show ID to get anywhere in the common areas.  So anyone who may have listed their apartment on AirB&B were out of luck once they made that announcement! 

I love Pope Francis!  I love the messages that he is spreading.  I think he is exactly what the Church needed after having Benedict as Pope.  I think Benedict was more of a dividing force, but Francis is trying to bring everyone back together.  I love that he practices his message in a do as I do method instead of a do as I say method.  I think so many of his actions are displaying what it truly means to be a Christian.

I have a lot of family in that area (I'm from DE, grew up in Chester county PA).   I was on WPVI website and was surprised that they are shutting down the Ben Franklin bridge among others. 

Not sure why I was surprised, but I like like damn.    I guess that is why the Eagles are playing in NJ this weekend.

The Flyers have a pre-season game on Friday night, I was surprised to hear they weren't moving it.

But the big reason they were shutting down the Ben Franklin was so that people can use it as a walking bridge.  The initial plan was that buses full of people were going to be parking in Camden and then the people would walk the rest of the way to the various festivities.  They also had a news conference telling anyone in NJ who wanted to go to Philly for the Pope had to walk.  They would not allow people to drive their cars and park in Camden and take the bridge.  So they made this graphic, which I'm attempting to post below.  It was to show people how long it would take from them to walk from their homes.  Supposedly local officials tested these estimates for walking.

But the bus plan for Camden fell through and now they are allowing people to park their cars in Camden and walk over the bridge or take the ferry.  You have to pre-pay to park your car there each day.  The lots are open from 6 AM to like 10 PM or something like that.image

Regardless of your faith, that's pretty fucking cool that people are willing to walk that far to see him. 
  • lyndausvi said:

Being right across the river from Philly, we have been having almost non-stop Pope coverage for the last month.  They started towing cars on Sunday to clear the various no-car zones.  They are closing major bridges that connect PA & NJ, closing major highways, and basically closing down a huge section of the city for days to accommodate Francis's visit.

I also totally planned to attend the mass on Sunday, but I inadvertently scheduled a weekend away in the Poconos for this same weekend.  So we will be watching the mass on TV instead of being there live.  I don't even know if anyone would have gone with me, my H hates crowds, but I was very much planning to go, even if it was by myself!

I have a friend who lives just off the Ben Franklin Parkway where the Festival of Families and the Mass will take place.  Her building is outside of the fenced in area, but inside the no-car zone.  I don't know what she did with her car.  I offered to her & her BF the opportunity to stay at my house for the weekend, but they are hunkering down and staying put.  Their building will be on lockdown for the duration as well.  Only tenants listed on the lease will be allowed in or out of the building and must show ID to get anywhere in the common areas.  So anyone who may have listed their apartment on AirB&B were out of luck once they made that announcement! 

I love Pope Francis!  I love the messages that he is spreading.  I think he is exactly what the Church needed after having Benedict as Pope.  I think Benedict was more of a dividing force, but Francis is trying to bring everyone back together.  I love that he practices his message in a do as I do method instead of a do as I say method.  I think so many of his actions are displaying what it truly means to be a Christian.

I have a lot of family in that area (I'm from DE, grew up in Chester county PA).   I was on WPVI website and was surprised that they are shutting down the Ben Franklin bridge among others. 

Not sure why I was surprised, but I like like damn.    I guess that is why the Eagles are playing in NJ this weekend.

The Flyers have a pre-season game on Friday night, I was surprised to hear they weren't moving it.

But the big reason they were shutting down the Ben Franklin was so that people can use it as a walking bridge.  The initial plan was that buses full of people were going to be parking in Camden and then the people would walk the rest of the way to the various festivities.  They also had a news conference telling anyone in NJ who wanted to go to Philly for the Pope had to walk.  They would not allow people to drive their cars and park in Camden and take the bridge.  So they made this graphic, which I'm attempting to post below.  It was to show people how long it would take from them to walk from their homes.  Supposedly local officials tested these estimates for walking.

But the bus plan for Camden fell through and now they are allowing people to park their cars in Camden and walk over the bridge or take the ferry.  You have to pre-pay to park your car there each day.  The lots are open from 6 AM to like 10 PM or something like that.image

Regardless of your faith, that's pretty fucking cool that people are willing to walk that far to see him. 
    I feel like the distance almost makes it an even more significant event. It's like a pilgrimage. 
  • The Flyers have a pre-season game on Friday night, I was surprised to hear they weren't moving it.

I agree.  

I'm also moved at all the people who go to Mecca or the Wailing Wall.  It's moving to me even though I do not follow those religions.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I've seen the NJ chart a few times now.  Do they have one for Delaware?  Or the counties around Philly like Bucks, Chester, etc?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:

I feel like the distance almost makes it an even more significant event. It's like a pilgrimage. 
    There is a group of people that are making a pilgrimage up to Philly from Baltimore.

• mileybangerzmileybangerz member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    crap.  I'm trying to post the link of the Pope greeting the kid that ran out.

I need to get this guy's PR person to help me out!

(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));
    Girl meets Pope Francis during parade

Did you see this? A young girl carrying a yellow T-shirt got outside the police barricade and tried to approach the Popemobile. She shied back when a bodyguard came near to pick her up and bring her to meet Pope Francis. But then the pope gestured to her to come to him, and she allowed the bodyguard to pick her up and bring her to Pope Francis for a papal kiss and blessing. #PopeInDCPope Francis kisses babies, greets crowds in DC: http://www.fox5dc.com/news/23660517-story

Posted by Fox 5 DC on Wednesday, September 23, 2015
  • lyndausvi said:
    I've seen the NJ chart a few times now.  Do they have one for Delaware?  Or the counties around Philly like Bucks, Chester, etc?
    That NJ chart was released by Camden County officials, so if they did have any for Bucks, Chester, or Delaware (Co or state) - it wasn't really shared with the media.  I saw this originally on philly.com, but it was also on 6ABC's website.
  • I'm also intrigued by the Pope, and even though I'm not a practicing Catholic, I really like him. I like that he is so humble and wants to be with the people, and not ride around in his pope-mobile. I'm in NYC, not far from Madison Square Garden in terms of work and home. So far the city looks normal to me (I guess I'll see if things look different on my commute home). I think transportaion will be a mess for those that travel in from NJ and LI via Penn Station since that's where MSG is. There is an article on the intranet and my manager is currently in a meeting with HER boss to see if some work at home arrangement can be made. Since I live in the city, though, and walk to work, that means I'll probably be the only person on my team in the office if that happens. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I am Catholic and I think this pope is pretty cool. I like what he is doing. 

I live in the NYC burbs and work in uptown Manhattan. He is visiting a school in East Harlem at some point on Friday, which is where I come into the city in the mornings. Starting on Monday, there were huge crowds of cops at the train station and signs everywhere warning people to make accommodations and plan for delays on Friday.

I plan to work from home- I don't have a job that is so important that I absolutely have to be present and would rather not be one additional person on the road if I don't have to be.
  • I was listening to the radio on my way home from work and they were talking about gridlock conditions extending out to a 50 mile radius!  Crazy.  

I'm not a practicing Catholic, but I really like Pope Francis.
    I believe this is during the National Anthem.  My guess is that His Holiness is in prayer or reflection.
  • I'm in Chicago-land and when Obama comes back to town it gets crazy too, but I don't think I've heard about them towing cars days in advance.  I could be wrong though...
    I think the worst case scenario in this instance is that the man has an incredible tendency to land just as rush hour commences. Without fail! They close the expressways so his motorcade can travel quickly and without interruption/disruption.  Anyone commuting in and outbound will tell you what a nightmare that can be!  It may be for only a few hours, but they are the worst hours of the day.
  • Aaaaaaaaaand over here on the Left Coast, the president of China is in town for three days. ALL freeway traffic, including on ramps, shut down. No schedule released because security, terrorism, Secret Service. Huge eight block area around his hotel is blocked off. Wednesday, he went from downtown Seattle, north to the Boeing plant 30 miles away, then over to Microsoft headquarters in Redmond, and followed that with a trip to Tacoma 35 miles south of Seattle. And back to Seattle again. I worked from home and didn't even attempt the commute between Tacoma and Seattle which is ridiculous on a good day.
  • MobKaz said:
    I believe this is during the National Anthem.  My guess is that His Holiness is in prayer or reflection.
    Dude is probably just tired. 
  • I can appreciate anyone who gets in a power nap standing up and with all eyes on him.
  • arrrghmateyarrrghmatey member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2015
    I'm Catholic, but I don't go to church much anymore…I've seen too many bad people hiding behind the cloak of the church and it has tainted my perception.

BUT I love Pope Francis.

Like a boss:

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited September 2015
    class="Quote"> mileybangerz said: I didn't watch the address to Congress, but I found this funny. http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/424573/psst-somebody-nudge-justice-ginsburg-again-jim-geraghty

LOL!  I love RBG!  She's the only one who can get away with sleeping through
    anything while on official duty!
  • lol, I feel like Ginsburg is always sleeping!
  • sarahufl said:
    lol, I feel like Ginsburg is always sleeping!
    Except for when she's kicking ass!!
  • sarahufl said:
    lol, I feel like Ginsburg is always sleeping!
    Except for when she's kicking ass!!
    well, yeah. obvi.
  • I wonder what goes through the Pope's mind when he see all the kids with iPhones?

I mean, he is use to poor kids not even having shoes.

• Did anyone see the Mass last night? Oh, it was beautiful. I just love the cadence of Francis' voice, it's so calm and soothing.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Did anyone see the Mass last night? Oh, it was beautiful. I just love the cadence of Francis' voice, it's so calm and soothing.
    I missed it.  With the time difference I forgot, when I remembered it was over

• I've been listening to him during the day but didn't hear the Vespers last night.   The Cathedral is just gorgeous and I also missed seeing it without the scaffolding.   When I was there last year it was still in the middle of its large scale restoration.

I just heard the children singing the prayer of St. Francis and it was so beautiful!   
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    I was surprised, yet happy, to see Mo Rocca as a lector.   For those who do not know, Mo is gay.  I think the Pope sent a good message there.

ETA - is a CBS Sunday Morning reporter and does the show My Grandmother's Ravioli on the Food Network

• lyndausvi said:

I was surprised, yet happy to see Mo Rocca as a lector.   For those who do not know, Mo is gay.  I think the Pope sent a good message there.

I love what he's doing. He's not going to ever change doctrine but he's changing the way we think about it.

I am really wishing I was in MSG tonight.
  • Wow, that's cool.  Is Rocca catholic?  

SaveSave
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards