Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Invite/Reception wording and information help

adwksadwks member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited October 2015 in Wedding Reception Forum
Ok this is two questions

We're having a small private wedding (14 people total including us). The wedding will be in our pastor's office at our church followed by dinner at a restaurant. For the invitation wording do we still call the dinner a reception? We're not doing anything that makes me think "reception" but I suppose we are hosting the dinner so it still counts? 

How would you word the information about the restaurant on the invitation?  

Second question: 

For the restaurant reception  everyone can order whatever they want from the menu should we include something with the invite that tells folks about the different menu options? We don't need to know what they're ordering in advance or anything just unsure if it would be proper to let people know what type of things are being served in advance. 

Re: Invite/Reception wording and information help

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015

1) Yes, the dinner is still a reception.  And fwiw, the type of hospitality offered after a wedding ceremony is not properly described on an invitation.  It is just called "reception" without further description.

2) I'm editing my original answer. I think including this information requires a little caution. While it's okay to include dietary information about what's being provided, you need to make sure that you don't include anything on the menu that you're not hosting, and you also need to make sure that the prices are not included so that nobody gets the erroneous idea that they have to "cover their plates" with their gifts.

• Options
    Including the food choices is not necessary at all, but I'm assuming you'll be giving them some kind of reception card with the name of the restaurant and address.  There you COULD just briefly list some general choices to give them an idea of the food, but they could easily google that info if they wanted it.  Also, if you're having a wedding website, this kind of information could go there.

And it's totally still a reception!  You're receiving your guests after a wedding!  Sounds lovely and intimate.  

SaveSave
  • Options
    With your invite you will include a separate enclosure card entitled "Reception."  It will look something like...

RECEPTION
    immediately following the ceremony
    Restaurant name
    Address

Since you are allowing your guests to choose whatever they wish off the restaurants main menu I don't think you need to include anything regarding the food in your invite set.  Now if you were to make a limited menu it would be best to ask on your RSVP cards for any food allergies or dietary issues.

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    I think you cold get away with just one invitation for such a small party.

Your wedding invitation is worded the same as any other.  At the bottom, you put the following:

Reception
    Restaurant Name
    Address

You never describe the food at your reception, as if the guests might not attend if they don't like it. "Reception immediately following the ceremony" means that the reception will be in the same place as your ceremony, so don't use that.  The waiters at the restaurant can explain any questions to your guests.

I love small weddings!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Can the restaurant make special menus for your party, that has only the items you're offering and is personalized for you? I've often seen that done at small parties like this. It makes it much easier. That way, if you're ordering a bunch of apps for the table, the menus would just have the entree choices, for example. Or if you expect everyone to order an app and an entree, you would have a few selections of each listed. If i was just handed a regular menu, I'd be a little stressed about 1) if I was expected to pay for my own meal, and 2) if everyone else was ordering an app or not, or if everyone else was just getting pizza/pasta, should I get a real entree, etc.

As for the invite, if you're doing a very traditional wedding invite then put the reception info on a separate card insert. If not, that I'd just put "Dinner Reception to follow at X Restaurant, Address". 
  • Options
    MandyMost said:
    Can the restaurant make special menus for your party, that has only the items you're offering and is personalized for you? I've often seen that done at small parties like this. It makes it much easier. That way, if you're ordering a bunch of apps for the table, the menus would just have the entree choices, for example. Or if you expect everyone to order an app and an entree, you would have a few selections of each listed. If i was just handed a regular menu, I'd be a little stressed about 1) if I was expected to pay for my own meal, and 2) if everyone else was ordering an app or not, or if everyone else was just getting pizza/pasta, should I get a real entree, etc.

As for the invite, if you're doing a very traditional wedding invite then put the reception info on a separate card insert. If not, that I'd just put "Dinner Reception to follow at X Restaurant, Address". 
    --------------------------------------------------------

Sorry this is such a late reply but I wanted to thank you for the menu suggestion. It never occured to me that people might be unsure if they could really order whatever. Or feel weird about ordering apps/entree/desert when someone else just got the entree. We're doing a brunch but I feel like this could still be a thing, so thank you for encouraging me to look into that. 

• Options
    adwks said:
    MandyMost said:

Sorry this is such a late reply but I wanted to thank you for the menu suggestion. It never occured to me that people might be unsure if they could really order whatever. Or feel weird about ordering apps/entree/desert when someone else just got the entree. We're doing a brunch but I feel like this could still be a thing, so thank you for encouraging me to look into that. 

I would have some pre-orders apps for the table if you can.  Then have a limited menu options (minus prices) typed up.   It's also easier on the restaurant to get out food for a large party when there are limited items.  Plus having pre-ordered apps means your guests get some food right away.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    adwks said:
    MandyMost said:

I would have some pre-orders apps for the table if you can.  Then have a limited menu options (minus prices) typed up.   It's also easier on the restaurant to get out food for a large party when there are limited items.  Plus having pre-ordered apps means your guests get some food right away.
    This is also a great idea! Thanks! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards