Chit Chat
Options

NWR Question for lawyers or anyone in the medical field

I've tried googling it and I can't find an answer. Does anyone know if it is legal for a doctor to refuse to see a patient due to a criminal record?

Re: NWR Question for lawyers or anyone in the medical field

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    I'm not a lawyer. 

To my knowledge,  a doctor in private practice is just like any small business and can refuse treatment to just about anyone except for discrimination.  And discrimination depends on their field. Meaning a GYN can refuse treatment of a black male since their practice handles women issues not male issues.  Or at least that is how I understand it.

If the criminal record has to do with drug use, I can see where a private practice doctor wouldn't want to treat that patient.    Too much liability.    

ER doctors can not refuses service if it's an emergency.  They are only obligated to stabilize the patient though.

I believe private doctors can not just refuse service to someone walking into their office with a life threatening issue either.  I could be wrong, but I think like ER doctors, they are required to get the patient at least stabilized.   

I'm sure it varies from state to state though.

ETA - apparently it's okay for doctors to refuse treating patients who are or married to malpractice lawyers. So they are not just picking on criminals.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    Teddy917 said:
    I've tried googling it and I can't find an answer. Does anyone know if it is legal for a doctor to refuse to see a patient due to a criminal record?

The first link I got when googling the highlighted verbatim was the AMA. 

https://www.ama-assn.org/ssl3/ecomm/PolicyFinderForm.pl?site=www.ama-assn.org&uri=/resources/html/PolicyFinder/policyfiles/HnE/E-10.05.HTM

You may want to poke around the AMA some more, but based on that, it appears that yes, a doctor can refuse in that instance, unless other exceptions apply.

Also, see point VI.

https://www.ama-assn.org/ssl3/ecomm/PolicyFinderForm.pl?site=www.ama-assn.org&uri=/resources/html/PolicyFinder/policyfiles/HnE/E-1.001.HTM

• Options
    Thanks. Unfortunately it looks like that'll make it harder to find medical treatment for my husband. But I appreciate that you guys took the time to help me see that his doctor was okay to drop him.
  • Options
    Why is his criminal record even coming up though?
  • Options
    He told the psychologist about it.
  • Options
    Both doctors dropped him. I was at half of the last appointment. They didn't tell him anything until he called to reschedule the next appointment. They knew about the criminal record before they agreed to treat him. The therapist refused to refer him anywhere else. The crime was a domestic violence issue.

Sorry if it's a little unorganized but my thoughts are all over the place.
  • Options
    Teddy917 said:
    Both doctors dropped him. I was at half of the last appointment. They didn't tell him anything until he called to reschedule the next appointment. They knew about the criminal record before they agreed to treat him. The therapist refused to refer him anywhere else. The crime was a domestic violence issue. Sorry if it's a little unorganized but my thoughts are all over the place.
    I think they have to refer him somewhere else.  I would check your state laws though.  There should be some sort of malpractice hotline for the state you can call.

It might be a case where the doctor was a direct or indirect victim of domestic violence.   Which sucks for you, but is understandable why they would not think they could effectively help your husband.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Yes, I think they can. Now, he can't be refused at the emergency room (google EMTALA) if he actually has an emergency.

But for routine care in an outpatient setting, providers can decide to only take certain kinds of insurance, only see certain types of patients (i.e. an OB could only see pregnant/postpartum female patients), discharge patients for violence or noncompliance, decide not to take any new patients at all..... So yea, they're not required by law to treat any old Joe. Especially if the patient has a violent criminal record. I sure wouldn't put myself or my office staff at risk if I were a physician.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Teddy917 said:

Both doctors dropped him. I was at half of the last appointment. They didn't tell him anything until he called to reschedule the next appointment. They knew about the criminal record before they agreed to treat him. The therapist refused to refer him anywhere else. The crime was a domestic violence issue.

Are you getting therapy yourself? Because describing domestic violence as an "issue" sounds like you're doing a pretty good job at denial.
  • Options

Teddy917 said:

Are you getting therapy yourself? Because describing domestic violence as an "issue" sounds like you're doing a pretty good job at denial.
    I did receive some counseling right after it first happened. I'm not in denial. I just am really bad at phrasing things when I'm upset. I know domestic violence is a lot more serious than a mere issue.
  • Options
    Teddy917 - is the psychologist aslo monitoring your husband for substance abuse issues? I feel like there's something he's not telling you.

• Options
    Teddy917Teddy917 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2015
    scribe95 said:

I gotta wonder if he is telling you everything for both doctors to suddenly drop him - especially a psychologist who is supposed to get to the bottom of issues like anger and domestic violence.

His brother (whose house he was at when he received the call) heard it too, because my husband had the phone on speaker.

Plus I almost always go to appointments with him and have always had a good relationship with his doctors in the past. They always let me know if there is a problem.
  • Options

Teddy917 - is the psychologist aslo monitoring your husband for substance abuse issues? I feel like there's something he's not telling you.

Yes. There are no substance abuse problems.
  • Options
    Teddy917 said:
    I gotta wonder if he is telling you everything for both doctors to suddenly drop him - especially a psychologist who is supposed to get to the bottom of issues like anger and domestic violence.
    His brother (whose house he was at when he received the call) heard it too, because my husband had the phone on speaker. Plus I almost always go to appointments with him and have always had a good relationship with his doctors in the past. They always let me know if there is a problem.
    Hopefully only if your husband consented, or else that is a HUGE HIPPA violation.....

I agree with other PP's, something else is going on here.
  • Options
    justsie said:

Teddy917 said:

His brother (whose house he was at when he received the call) heard it too, because my husband had the phone on speaker.

Plus I almost always go to appointments with him and have always had a good relationship with his doctors in the past. They always let me know if there is a problem.

Hopefully only if your husband consented, or else that is a HUGE HIPPA violation.....

I agree with other PP's, something else is going on here.

He has given his consent.
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    Teddy917 said:
    Both doctors dropped him. I was at half of the last appointment. They didn't tell him anything until he called to reschedule the next appointment. They knew about the criminal record before they agreed to treat him. The therapist refused to refer him anywhere else. The crime was a domestic violence issue. Sorry if it's a little unorganized but my thoughts are all over the place.
    I think they have to refer him somewhere else.  I would check your state laws though.  There should be some sort of malpractice hotline for the state you can call.

It might be a case where the doctor was a direct or indirect victim of domestic violence.   Which sucks for you, but is understandable why they would not think they could effectively help your husband.
    PPs mostly have it covered, per the AMA Code of Ethics when severing a relationship with a patient for whatever reason, the physician should refer the patient to another provider within 30 days. However, this is not a requirement by state boards of medicine that leads to disciplinary action that I am aware of and we should be clear that psychologists are NOT physicians and therefore subject to their own professional standards.

All this said, this all sounds fishy to me. I couldn't see a mental health professional dismissing a patient unless they were truly worried about the safety of their staff. I suppose it is possible that the psychologist doesn't feel comfortable treating the particularly condition that your H is dealing with. That would make more sense than the criminal aspect.
  • Options
    chloe97 said:

lyndausvi said:

Teddy917 said:

I think they have to refer him somewhere else.  
    I would check your state laws though.  There should be some sort of malpractice hotline for the state you can call.

PPs mostly have it covered, per the AMA Code of Ethics when severing a relationship with a patient for whatever reason, the physician should refer the patient to another provider within 30 days. However, this is not a requirement by state boards of medicine that leads to disciplinary action that I am aware of and we should be clear that psychologists are NOT physicians and therefore subject to their own professional standards.

All this said, this all sounds fishy to me. I couldn't see a mental health professional dismissing a patient unless they were truly worried about the safety of their staff. I suppose it is possible that the psychologist doesn't feel comfortable treating the particularly condition that your H is dealing with. That would make more sense than the criminal aspect.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks something's fishy.

And I'm glad to know what the rules are for severing a doctor/patient relationship. Im definitely going to call them this week and ask them to refer him to someone.
  • Options
    Teddy917 said:

chloe97 said:

lyndausvi said:

Teddy917 said:

I would check your state laws though.  There should be some sort of malpractice hotline for the state you can call.

And I'm glad to know what the rules are for severing a doctor/patient relationship. Im definitely going to call them this week and ask them to refer him to someone.

I think something is fishy with your husband, not the doctors. And he should be the one getting the referrals, not you.
  • Options
    How many sessions did he have before they gave him the boot.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    Teddy917 said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks something's fishy. And I'm glad to know what the rules are for severing a doctor/patient relationship. Im definitely going to call them this week and ask them to refer him to someone.
    I think something is fishy with your husband, not the doctors. And he should be the one getting the referrals, not you.
    This. The doctor and psychologist don't have to give any referrals to you, you are not their patient. 
  • Options
    Yeah. Sorry, I meant that I would have my husband get referrals from them. Words are hard today.
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

How many sessions did he have before they gave him the boot.

This one was actually a new one. The appointment that he had was his first. It was his second that he had to cancel.
  • Options

Teddy917 said:

chloe97 said:

lyndausvi said:

Teddy917 said:

I appreciate the feedback. I'm curious what you think is fishy about my husband.
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    Teddy917 said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks something's fishy. And I'm glad to know what the rules are for severing a doctor/patient relationship. Im definitely going to call them this week and ask them to refer him to someone.
    I appreciate the feedback. I'm curious what you think is fishy about my husband.
    The fact that he has been convicted of some sort of domestic violence, still needs treatment for whatever issue he claims caused that, and now conveniently has someone else to blame for not getting that treatment. I don't believe his doctor dropped him solely because of his criminal record, I believe there is absolutely something else going on, and your entire description of this situation reeks of excuses and denial.
    Doesn't he also have some form of brain damage or disability, or am I confusing him with someone else?

I ask because if that's the case, then certain behaviors and issues are likely going to be permanent, lifelong issues, and not something counseling can necessarily completely resolve over time.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    lyndausvi said:
    Teddy917 said:

The fact that he has been convicted of some sort of domestic violence, still needs treatment for whatever issue he claims caused that, and now conveniently has someone else to blame for not getting that treatment. I don't believe his doctor dropped him solely because of his criminal record, I believe there is absolutely something else going on, and your entire description of this situation reeks of excuses and denial.
    Doesn't he also have some form of brain damage or disability, or am I confusing him with someone else?

I ask because if that's the case, then certain behaviors and issues are likely going to be permanent, lifelong issues, and not something counseling can necessarily completely resolve over time.

**Removed for TOS Violation**

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    Reading back through those made me concerned that his "impulsivity" and emotional abuse had actually turned physical, so the DV is a little more current then OP made it out to be. It also seems like OP didn't ever get counseling/therapy of her own, which is sad. 
    Having a brain injury that means someone is more likely to act impulsively could be the reason he was dropped from his psychologist, they may have realized they cannot provide someone who is unable to stop and process with appropriate therapy. That also means that they will have a hard time providing referrals of someone that can, that's a pretty nitche thing. People in the MH field only have to attempt to refer to appropriate alteranitves, given this information one might not exist.
  • Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    Oh that's right. He's the guy who punched her in the face and damaged her eye so badly she can't drive, but it's somehow acceptable because he was "sleeping" and has mental health issues.

Idk if you're real and just like the attention on here from time to time, or a bored troll, but you shouldn't be married to this man and you know it.
  • Options
    Bear in mind, I am not a psych, so I don't know if they really do pick and choose...

But I think one goes into the mental health field knowing that they may be dealing with people with major issues. I have worked with a pedophile, with ex drug dealers, addicts, and people with violent behaviors that they were not in control of. Of course there are branches where people specialize more according to their interests and may not see these sorts of issues much, but I'm guessing he would have ended up with someone general and comfortable with it in the first place. I have a really hard time seeing someone drop a client because of known issues turning out to be... known. 

Things that will get you dropped:
    Drug abuse (for example I have an Adderall Rx, if they found out I was selling it they'd drop me like a hot potato)
    Maybe not utilizing given resources and treatment and being determined to be somewhat of a lost cause, at least in that setting? 
    Incompatibility, like if the patient becomes obsessed with the professional or for some other irreconcilable reason the pro/patient relationship is not working out. 

There's something he's not telling you. It may be as innocuous as just not wanting to go, but it's something. Just because he's consented to HIPAA in the past does not mean he does to everything. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards